Vuelta a Andalucia 2015 *Spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Joelsim wrote:

Realistically those who were around in 2007/8/9 have to keep their passport levels as they were then, don't they?

You don't really understand how the passport works. It's about what's natural - in 07 many people would've been flagged as dodgy with the passport. As a matter of fact, the anti doping guys used to have a good idea of how many people were on EPO from blood tests (unnatural off-score etc) but they couldn't open cases based on it. The passport now allows this to happen so has driven a significant change.

One sure fire way to get snagged by the passport is have uniform numbers.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339
    iainf72 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Realistically those who were around in 2007/8/9 have to keep their passport levels as they were then, don't they?

You don't really understand how the passport works. It's about what's natural - in 07 many people would've been flagged as dodgy with the passport. As a matter of fact, the anti doping guys used to have a good idea of how many people were on EPO from blood tests (unnatural off-score etc) but they couldn't open cases based on it. The passport now allows this to happen so has driven a significant change.

While I don't want to back joelsims "they're all at it" he does have a point re the bio passport. He didn't say riders had to keep a uniform level - that certainly gets you snagged for a violation. But initial readings are used to establish baselines for riders, including acceptable variation. If the levels and patterns you establish in the bad old days change too much - eg you now have more variation than you used to - then you could feasibly be caught out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

While I don't want to back joelsims "they're all at it" he does have a point re the bio passport. He didn't say riders had to keep a uniform level - that certainly gets you snagged for a violation. But initial readings are used to establish baselines for riders, including acceptable variation. If the levels and patterns you establish in the bad old days change too much - eg you now have more variation than you used to - then you could feasibly be caught out.

Sure, but acceptable variation isn't based solely on what you've exhibited in the past. It'll be 90% what's considered normal with a bit of variation for individuals. You could dope under the radar but not in a big way, and certainly not like you could in 07
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    isnt this what caught out JTL. doped before joining sky , but stopped at sky . so passport numbers dropped .
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    Bert claims he could have gone harder on stage 3; but equally it could be argued he lost 2 seconds freewheeling over the line to do his silly pistol victory salute. Compare this with Froome's lunges for the line on both occasions.

Yates nearly let the GC slip in last year's Tour of Turkey by doing the same thing.
    It's the sort of thing juniors get shouted at for.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Bert claims he could have gone harder on stage 3; but equally it could be argued he lost 2 seconds freewheeling over the line to do his silly pistol victory salute. Compare this with Froome's lunges for the line on both occasions.

Yates nearly let the GC slip in last year's Tour of Turkey by doing the same thing.
    Back in 1989 I was in the US while the Tour was on and LeMond had won a stage and breakfast TV sports guy criticised him for easing up before the line celebrating as it may have cost him valuable seconds. Know-it-all me thought "Don't be stupid man, no-one wins the the Tour by a few seconds"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

The same thought crossed my mind. The salute matters more than the win though :wink:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    iainf72 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Exactly. So those readings when the passport was first introduced were the first points on the chart. So, it probably follows that the readings of individuals can't vary too much from those or the system will flag them up. Everyone has their own levels of normality which are then put within the framework. Then the limits are set to make a false strike less than 1/1000 chance. Chemistry.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    But there are other indicators which would flag up manipulation, even if the passport holder hadn't changed their doping regime, as they would fall outside the expected, normal values.

It's a very sophisticated tool, and one worth reading up on.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    andyp wrote:
    But there are other indicators which would flag up manipulation...

Blimey, guvnor - I thought I was reading about that Rifkind fella again and no mistake.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    But there are other indicators which would flag up manipulation...

Blimey, guvnor - I thought I was reading about that Rifkind fella again and no mistake.

A sad tale indeed. Came a cropper down the revolution, following a dodgy Chinese wheel we're led to understand. Decent engine but not too bright.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    http://53x12.com/do/show?page=indepth.view&id=154

St 3:
    Contador climbed the 8 Km at 9% at 1800m/h (6.20 w/kg), with Froome not far at 1777 m/h (6.13 w/kg). All the other rivals were much further back.
    St 4:
    VAM was a stratospheric 2059 m/h (6.86 w/kg), with Alberto climbing at 1938 m/h (6.46 w/kg).
    Contador is the Greatest