The classics thread

Comments

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Milton50 wrote:
    It's possible that when Cancellara is gone there won't be a standout rider in the race who can just ride away from the rest of the field, so we may see much closer races with small group sprints. At the start of the season it looked as though Vanmarcke was going to step up to be a rider similar to Cancellara but it hasn't materialised.

Completely agree with this. Only Vanmarcke looks remotely capable of that devastating and sustained power that Cancellara has and that Boonen has shown on occasion.

Maybe if he stopped peaking for the Omloop he might get to the dizzy heights of a Cancellara-style victory!

On separate note, it looks like a broadly dry weekend is forecast in Northern France this weekend. There's always next year...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Showers on Sat for Roubaix.

Dry on Sunday.

*does rain dance*
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Yep, everything I've seen says it will be dry for the race and pretty warm as well. Maybe 19 degrees.

Depends how much rain they get on Saturday I guess. If it's quite a bit then the cobbles could still be slippery and muddy for Sunday.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I prefer a dry Roubaix. The race is the hardest of the year as it is without throwing in some wet cobbles...becomes more luck and farce them skill and spectacle.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Naah, let's have some rain for once.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Given I will be hungover on Sunday and thus avoiding the outside, I am praying for rain at Roubaix.

Stage 5 of last year's Tour was the best probably since Andy Schleck on the Galibier
  • tailwindhome
    CCIh7cOWMAE-2eg.jpg:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Rain before will dampen a lot of the dust.

Shame really.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I'm a bit of a fan, but can see why he pisses others off sometimes.

This.

But I think at times its a carefully stage managed part of the package.

Sky are masters of manipulation, hype and of selling people and performances.

I hope he wins it from a being British point of view, but the same applies to Stannard and Thomas.
  • scheldeprijs-cycle-race-20150408-102423-949.jpg

When did Orlando Bloom sign for Sky?
  • tailwindhome
    CCJSkhoWMAEv2Jj.jpg

Is Puccio not an odd selection?

Actually scratch that - just ignorance on my part - maybe just made assumptions based on the vowels
    Won the U23 Flanders
  • rick_chasey
    Quite excited for PR now.

Quick club run- relax in front of the TV.

Will be the 4th year in a row I do mussels and chips with a beer.

I know that should really be for flanders, but the mrs actually likes PR and she makes it for me, and I'm often at my parents for easter.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i'm going to miss it again this year, stuck in majorca. shoot!

maybe i'll see it online if our short first afternoon ride is short enough
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    The 2010 edition for anyone who needs a bit of a taster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lealjxge5U

Skip to around 1:38:00 to see Cancellara ride the entire field of his wheel and then just carry on going.
  • That's the sector before Arenberg isn't it?

Yes, it is. Been out there today and they have cut some drainage channels, so it's not underwater anymore, just covered in mud. Sorry, not the greatest photo.

17087834145_fee6e084db_z.jpg

Had to stop afterwards to clear my brakes, gives and idea how muddy it was!

17061785046_e0d400f1ec_z.jpg

And there are other muddy bits on this section (Haveluy), think they will dry out before Sunday, but they are incredibly slippery.

17086248802_481791d17f_z.jpg[/url]
  • And a few more photos from today's ride.

16467584143_13b1a6e12f_z.jpg

16900168500_dfb0894a23_z.jpg

16880323037_abe266c9af_z.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thanks for the photos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Our own correspondent.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Shame they'll probably dry out. Perfect as they are in these pictures!
  • rick_chasey
    Rain on Saturday forecast.

There is hope.
  • It was only on one section that I rode today. All the others, including Arenberg were fine. Think it will dry out any way, even if it does rain a bit on Saturday.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Will it be Rob Hatch for British Eurosport on Sunday or was that just wishful thinking?
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Great insight greasedscotsman, thanks! Is that Debuschere teaching Greipel the art of shadow riding?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Mechanism wrote:
    Will it be Rob Hatch for British Eurosport on Sunday or was that just wishful thinking?

I think it is, I know Carlton said he wasn't doing it.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    And a few more photos from today's ride.

16880323037_abe266c9af_z.jpg

What bike is that? Doesn't look like a normal Defy. Giant only do the disc version now.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    If the Rick Chasey weather forecast is correct, do I need to bet on Lars Boom?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    A nice photo

CCK4G3sUgAAg4Kf.jpg

(Unless it's taken in Tremorfa, in which case it's some horrible brat trying to knock Kristoff off his bike)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • My club are erecting a supporters village on one of the earliersections tonight. I can't make it, but if any of you see Robocyclo from Gent, give them a shout. They've got beer.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    If the Rick Chasey weather forecast is correct, do I need to bet on Lars Boom?

Boom vs Stybar if it rains

* Does rain dance *