The classics thread

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Milton50 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    At De Ronde and Roubaix the lack of clearly defined favourites with Boonen and Cancellara's absence made for hesitant, defensive riding from the kind of outsiders that normally kick it all off early. With Boonen and Cancellara out, suddenly a whole extra list of riders considered themselves contenders, reason to ride more cautiously.

Yep, completely agree. I was hoping that after Flanders some of the riders would step up and try and take Roubaix by the scruff of the neck but it didn't really materialise.

What happens when the two big names are there is everyone tries everything to win as they know it'll be harder to beat those two at their own game.

But when they aren't around everyone plays safe as they see it as a more realistic time to win so don't want to burn themselves out.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    sjmclean wrote:
    What happens when the two big names are there is everyone tries everything to win as they know it'll be harder to beat those two at their own game.

But when they aren't around everyone plays safe as they see it as a more realistic time to win so don't want to burn themselves out.

Also the strategy is simple. Vanmarcke and Sagan try to stay with the Cancellara/Boonen move. It's a lot more complicated without them.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    There's enough talent behind Boonen and Cancellara. It's just that none of them incite the fear that those two do, at least not yet. And that fear is a major part of what shapes the race. The other side to the coin is the confidence to win and thus make moves with 100% commitment.

Kristoff and Degenkolb are building their reputations and confidence nicely and if Vanmarcke can peak for late March, early April rather than late February, early March then I think we have three riders that can fill the vacuum left by Boonen and Cancellara.
  • I think Vanmarkce will turn out a bit like van Petegem, but as Ekimike says he's got to peak at a different time, as he was too good when it didn't matter this year and too tired when it did.

Having said that, luck wasn't his side, (even though you make your own luck in these races)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So who had a better flat classics season?

Kristoff or Degenkolb?

I think I know the answer.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Kristoff or Degenkolb?

Degenkolb probably. Two monuments v one. But they'll both be very happy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856

Kristoff or Degenkolb?

Degenkolb. Clearly.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Maybe there's a better thread for this. But. Meh. It'll do here

CyclingQuotes ‏@CyclingQuotes · 49m49 minutes ago
    Boonen to make Giro debut, Cavendish to skip race to ride Tour of California
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Milton50 wrote:

Kristoff or Degenkolb?

Degenkolb. Clearly.
    Degenkolb posibly, but inly just. kristoff was 2nd in San Remo and might have won had he not misjudged that sloping finishstraight. And Kristoff had that incredibly impressive week from De Panne to the Scheldeprijs. Yeah, 2 monument wins trumps all, but it's pretty close.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Fun fact: Tom Boonen hasn't finished a Grand Tour since the 2007 Tour de France (when he won the Green Jersey)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    canny ride by degenkolb..the entire season.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Fun fact: Tom Boonen hasn't finished a Grand Tour since the 2007 Tour de France (when he won the Green Jersey)

WHY DOES HE DISRESPECT THE RACE SO MUCH! If it's not bumpy and over in a single day he doesn't care.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    FJS wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Kristoff or Degenkolb?

Degenkolb. Clearly.
    Degenkolb posibly, but inly just. kristoff was 2nd in San Remo and might have won had he not misjudged that sloping finishstraight. And Kristoff had that incredibly impressive week from De Panne to the Scheldeprijs. Yeah, 2 monument wins trumps all, but it's pretty close.

Think it's a bit like choosing between a showroom model of your 2 best dream bikes that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    UCI WT.
    Rank Prev. Rider Nat. + Birthdate Team (Code) Points
    1 1 PORTE Richie AUS19850130 TEAM SKY (SKY) 303
    2 2 KRISTOFF Alexander NOR19870705 TEAM KATUSHA (KAT) 237
    3 9 DEGENKOLB John GER19890107 TEAM GIANT - ALPECIN (TGA) 232
    4 3 THOMAS Geraint GBR19860525 TEAM SKY (SKY) 184
    5 4 QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander COL19900204 MOVISTAR TEAM (MOV) 168
    6 24 STYBAR Zdenek CZE19851211 ETIXX - QUICK STEP (EQS) 152
    7 21 VAN AVERMAET Greg BEL19850517 BMC RACING TEAM (BMC) 148
    8 5 TERPSTRA Niki NED19840518 ETIXX - QUICK STEP (EQS) 140
    9 6 POZZOVIVO Domenico ITA19821130 AG2R LA MONDIALE (ALM) 136
    10 7 SAGAN Peter SVK19900126 TINKOFF - SAXO (TCS) 136
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Oooff, 5 points only

So, who of Kristoff and Degenkolb has won the most UCI points in the Classics??
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    ddraver wrote:
    One slightly processional PR due to injuries/good weather and it's the end of an era :roll:

Well one has said he's retiring and the other has hinted strongly at it...

I was aware of that. sjmc said suggested that it was end of the 'old days':
    sjmclean wrote:
    I've been thinking about it tonight, maybe it's a sign of the old days are fully gone that only two exceptional riders are the only ones really able to ride away and decimate the field.

A void has been created by the absence of Boonen and Cencellara, although it's not all over for them. The void will be filled by those willing to have a go. Maybe Dagenkolb will have the confidence to step up. As I said, 1 slightly dull PR doesn't herald a new era of a different style of racing on the cobbles.

Just being pedantic dd :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

WHY DOES HE DISRESPECT THE RACE SO MUCH! If it's not bumpy and over in a single day he doesn't care.

Oh sir....
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • milton50
    FJS wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Kristoff or Degenkolb?

Degenkolb. Clearly.

Oh, I'm not saying it's a huge gap between them. Kristoff has had an unbelievable classics season. It's just that winning Milan San Remo and Paris Roubaix beats coming second in Milan San Remo and winning Flanders. The first time it's been done since 1986.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:

Has come to stage 18 in the vuelta a few times.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    What are peoples thoughts on Stannard's classics season? When he bossed the three Quickstep riders in Omloop I thought he'd be a real factor in Paris Roubaix and maybe even Flanders, but he wasn't really anywhere in either with Luke Rowe performing better in both.

What happened to him?
  • jmacsam
    jmacsam Posts: 270
    Picked up an illness as far as I can work out
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    jMACsam wrote:
    +1
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Daz555 wrote:
    jMACsam wrote:
    +1

Get well soon, you two.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    jMACsam wrote:
    +1

Get well soon, you two.

:lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Simon Yates to have a go at Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège with OGE next week rather than lead the team @ Tour of Turkey.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    The Yates going to OGE has to be up there with some of the greatest decisions in resent times. Their just a really good fit for the team and its help development no end
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Daz555 wrote:
    jMACsam wrote:
    +1

Stacked in E3 didn't he? Seem to remember seeing a picture of him with a bloody knee.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Favourites for the Ardennes then...

Tier 1: Gilbert, Kwiatkowski, Valverde, Dan Martin
    Tier 2: Rodriguez, Moreno, Mollema, Rui Costa, Kreuziger
    Tier 3: Vanendert, G Caruso, Albasini

Wildcards/Youngsters: Slagter (2x top tens last year and looked good in Pais Vasco), Dumoulin, Yates, Betancur (still carrying a pie too many?), Bardet, Henao, Wellens

Any protestations?

I always thought Uran would turn into a good Ardennes rider. Seems he only bothers with Lombardia.

Nibali only seems interested in L-B-L. Will Gallopin begin to make his mark in these races?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    J-Rod has been in good shape. I'd put him 1st tier

Van Avermaet can cover this terrain well; gilbert's said for the Amstel he's worried about riders who've done Roubaix, and about Matthews

Poels and Barguil as others who could feature.

Froome is on the startlist for Fleche and LBL. You dont need much classics experience to do well in Fleche.
  • milton50
    What do people think about Matthews' chances in Amstel Gold? Too much climbing?