Have Rapha finally disappeared up their own @rse?

Yellow Peril
Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
edited January 2015 in The cake stop
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... lub-150536

I don't own any Rapha kit but did like the idea of the nostalgia/romance element of cycling with arty films and (I assume) quality retro kit.

However I think this "club" concept is just elitist bollox and encapsulates everything I don't hold dear and that I don't believe is the essence of cycling. One for the golfers surely?
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    They're just reinforcing perceptions of their brand and they are doing it in a commercial way. It's another platform for Rapha to get to know and understand their customers needs and engagement with their customers help develop not only their commercial offering but also their brand.

Sure it will appeal to certain individuals and their kit is great but I don't see any value in getting into a circular argument about their price point and kit. With the greatest respect you aren't their target audience and from your comments you have no wish to be.

The bottom line is Rapha are a commercial entity, a British company doing rather well which should be celebrated. Commercial interests always sit uneasily with core values of any sport.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    it's about time ...
  • Insert Groucho Marx one liner here.......
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    There will be many, many people with the money and the interest in joining, though I'm not one of them. I like the look of the clothing, and their commercials are beautifully shot, if you like arty black and white films of blokes with stubble cycling on empty roads.

I note that their motto translates as "Glory though suffering arses," or something like that. Personally, my motto is, "Pecunia consumpta in melius carbo rotae" - money better spent on carbon wheels.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/raphas-exclusive-new-200-year-cycling-club-150536

I don't own any Rapha kit but did like the idea of the nostalgia/romance element of cycling with arty films and (I assume) quality retro kit.

However I think this "club" concept is just elitist bollox and encapsulates everything I don't hold dear and that I don't believe is the essence of cycling. One for the golfers surely?

Ride your bike.
  • Yellow Peril
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/raphas-exclusive-new-200-year-cycling-club-150536

Ride your bike.

I'll...er... get my turbo...
    @JaunePeril

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/raphas-exclusive-new-200-year-cycling-club-150536

Ride your bike.

If you have watched the "arty" films then this is perfect Rapha weather.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Yellow Peril
    PBlakeney wrote:

Ride your bike.

If you have watched the "arty" films then this is perfect Rapha weather.

:lol::lol::lol: "the Typhoon" a short film about one man's quest to cycle on an Island in the middle of the Irish Sea on New Year's Day
    @JaunePeril

• metronome
    metronome Posts: 670

Finally? They were born flying a brown flag.

I know, it's great quality kit…

Rapha sell lifestyles first and apparel second. They adopt common and clever marketing techniques to engineer desire with high prices, exclusivity and aspirational brouhaha. Fanboys have well and truly had the -sport- wool pulled over their eyes.
    tick - tick - tick
  • http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/raphas-exclusive-new-200-year-cycling-club-150536

Ride your bike.

Turbos are for the weak.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    It's another cycling club - I'm all for choice - it doesn't appeal to me personally but vive la difference or summat like that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Is there a limit on the amount of coffee you're allowed to drink at their cafes? Two a week and you'd break even. Of course, you'd have to set this against the fully justified mockery you'd get from pretty much any cyclist who found out you'd joined something as silly as this. But it would be quite fun to see what level of subtle satire you could get past them when describing 'the perfect ride' in 100 words...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Now that would be worth £200 to see :P
    I love quality but cannot stand pretentiousness.

I got an invite to join (not just apply) and am half tempted to do it for a laugh, but feel principles are at stake here.

I have a few Rapha freebies (which are great quality) but I have resisted buying any Rapha stuff due to disliking their brand image and how I would/may be perceived for having/wearing it.
    Not that I normally give a fcuk what people think.

Happy New Year everyone.
    Going to get cracking on my new year resolutions now.
    Less posting, more cycling, being the main one :wink:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    £200 a year just to get 'free' coffee :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    This sentence summed it up:

"The club motto is Ex Duris Gloria — ‘Through Suffering Arises Glory’, though it’s not clear whether this is a reference to the hefty membership fee or not."
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    arran77 wrote:

I think it's a little more than that. There's supposedly free bike use too (Pinarello) but I'm not sure what the deal is there. There was also mention of races and events but, again, no idea what. Clearly it's pricey but then so is everything Rapha-esque. Like any business, you charge what you think you can get away with.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:

I think it's a little more than that. There's supposedly free bike use too (Pinarello) but I'm not sure what the deal is there. There was also mention of races and events but, again, no idea what. Clearly it's pricey but then so is everything Rapha-esque. Like any business, you charge what you think you can get away with.

Plenty of rich bankers about I suppose.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • meanredspider
    arran77 wrote:
    Plenty of rich bankers about I suppose.

Yup - and they're going to want people in the club that are going to shell out for their gear. If you think £200 is too expensive, you're unlikely to to spend £150 on gloves or go on one of their holidays. Each of us has a price we aren't willing to pay.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Carbonator wrote:

How's that one working out..?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

How's that one working out..?

Give him his due, it's 10.14pm.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Can anyone imagine a mountain bike kit supplier trying this :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    Stevo 666 wrote:

We're different animals to roadies :lol:

seanoconn
  • meanredspider
    arran77 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Yup - MTBers go up mountains in cable cars and chair lifts :wink::wink: (I ride both BTW :D )
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    arran77 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Yup - MTBers go up mountains in cable cars and chair lifts :wink::wink: (I ride both BTW :D )
    What are you on about? I go up in a van :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    half the price of golf club membership :wink:
  • I always love it when people moan and groan about Rapha and the likes being pretentious, when they are in effect doing exactly the same but from another angle.

I wouldn't join. Mainly because i'm just not on the bike enough to justify the cost. I also don't live close enough to London or Manchester to make a regular journey there! I certainly do see the value of the proposition though.
  • meanredspider
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    What are you on about? I go up in a van :)

PMSL - I can't decide if that's better or worse! :wink::D
  • arran77 wrote:

You'll probably get discounts and access to pre-sales online sales which makes it worthwile for someone who regularly buys their stuff. I own 3 Rapha garments, but I am not overly impressed by the finish... low quality thread and stitching is pretty much same level as stuff that retails at 1/3 of the price, hence won't buy anymore. I like their stuff, but it has to be head and shoulders above the competition, otherwise it's just fashion with no substance.
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Bought some 3/4 bib shorts off one of the rapha condor pro team.

Exceptional piece of kit.
  • After a 10 year 'nonce stretch' in Pentonville, I knew my first 'ride' on the outside needed to be epic. What better than a day out in London, mincing around in my new hugely overpriced Rapha CC kit and DIY jailbird tattoos? Never has the expression 'ride it like you stole it' been so apt, while the rozzers chased me around Richmond Park on the Scott Addict I'd just nicked from LMNH, I claimed a KOM and I was then able to hide from the filth in the RCC London Clubhouse till the heat died down. What a perfect day.

100 words exactly.