Can you name the Climb?

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    It says on the hotel-restaurant facade (I think) 'Refuge du Col de Cabre' (I zoomed in to read it), so it must be the Col de Cabre.
    Before I decided to answer, I checked where it was, and saw that it isn't that far from from Die, so I felt (based on the poster's frequent location) that I must be correct!

I don’t know the pass but I have actually heard of the hotel, from motorbike acquaintances who were there in summer 2012. They were unhappy with the place because the toilet in their room had no door!

They also weren’t happy that the owner and his staff all disappeared at 10 pm, only to return next morning in time for breakfast.
    I don’t however find that bothersome or even quite so unusual, having encountered the same in Ireland, Germany, Switzerland and more than once in eastern France). I suspect such wouldn't get past UK Health & Safety, but hey, it's the Continent ...

My acquaintances also said one of the items on the evening menu was entitled Oreilles d’âne, which means 'Donkey’s ears' in English, but sadly they didn’t have the courage to choose it.
    (I’ve since found out it’s only like lasagne except made with spinach instead of a meat-tomato mixture).
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    knedlicky wrote:
    It says on the hotel-restaurant facade (I think) 'Refuge du Col de Cabre' (I zoomed in to read it), so it must be the Col de Cabre.
    Before I decided to answer, I checked where it was, and saw that it isn't that far from from Die, so I felt (based on the poster's frequent location) that I must be correct!

You are indeed correct... I didn't think that the writing was legible enough!

I haven't actually seen the hotel open on my few times there... seems lile an opportunity missed, though it's not a very busy col. Should be a reasonable spot for watching the TdF on 20 July.
  • knedlicky
    You are indeed correct... I didn't think that the writing was legible enough!
    Even blown-up, it's not easily legible, but a knowledge of French (where one is able to guess the words which one can't easily read), plus a recollection of one's friends' recountable experiences, helps a lot (I perhaps wouldn't have re-called their tales, had I not been in the same area this summer).

Maybe you ought try 'Donkey's Ears' one time, think of the lasagne carbohydrates.

If it’s now my go, try this.
    This shows the ascent from the south, and the road in the foreground isn’t part of the ascent, rather it’s a dead-end which just leads to a mountain restaurant. The ascent is where one sees a road coming from the left halfway up the photo and leading to the gap between the mountains. The pictured bit ranges 10-15%, but slightly lower down from where the photo was taken, the slope is briefly 20%.
    20% sounds hard but I actually found the north ascent more difficult, because it has about 2 km where the slope never really alters between 12-17%.

15889465497_c51a01a3b9_z.jpg
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    knedlicky wrote:
    Maybe you ought try 'Donkey's Ears' one time, think of the lasagne carbohydrates.

If it’s now my go, try this.
    This shows the ascent from the south, and the road in the foreground isn’t part of the ascent, rather it’s a dead-end which just leads to a mountain restaurant. The ascent is where one sees a road coming from the left halfway up the photo and leading to the gap between the mountains. The pictured bit ranges 10-15%, but slightly lower down from where the photo was taken, the slope is briefly 20%.
    I haven't come across those on a menu yet ... I'd have to try them if I did.

Re the climb ... outside of my area, I think... or at least the immediate area. Maybe I need to work through some of the ones you've recommended in the past...
  • 800x600_1271881376234.jpg

This road is likely to look like this tomorrow morning, just in time for me driving from Chester to Sheffield.

Excellent

nr19_063w.JPG
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    phreak wrote:
    That's the military road on the way past Comptom Bay and into Freshwater. A smashing training route that I do often (albeit from the other way)

Correct. Quite a slog of a climb to finish off the Randonee (Yarmouth Start) when it goes clock wise.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • 3 snowy ones for you:
    1010926_10151456809170079_409456276_n.jpg?oh=e8015502c9b9ba5ccff8c6338e234911&oe=5526F360

1010556_10151456810155079_1505969583_n.jpg?oh=6582b22ee32b19ac34ed84f5497c1adf&oe=552F34AB&__gda__=1428319681_332bfa9143f3df4d0f9396b37ad45bea

296124_10151456811540079_1475032951_n.jpg?oh=afe8a69d85f1fb657bd05200bf1573c9&oe=55392BCE
  • Is the first one the Galibier from Valloire just before it gets steep?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    I think you're spot on with that one.

The middle one might be the Majola, or that final climb from the Gavia, Stelvio stage from last year's Giro?

The bottom one is the Lago di Misurina at the foot of the Tre Cime de Lavaredo.
  • knedlicky
    Is the first one the Galibier from Valloire just before it gets steep?
    andyp wrote:
    The middle one might be the Majola, or that final climb from the Gavia, Stelvio stage from last year's Giro?
    I don't know about the Galibier for the first, it has the bleak emptiness I associate with the Flüela or the north side of the Julier. And I don't remember the row of buildings to the right on the Galibier (although nor do I remember them on the Flüela or Julier)
    Yes, the second looks like the Bernina or the Majola, south sides.
    The giveaway to me about the third, Lago di Misurina, are those clear spaces in front of the houses on the distant hill, which I've noticed before, because I imagine they are intentional to ensure the view and light. On a clear day the Tre Cime are visible directly behind this view.

If they are all in the same area as Misurina, possibly the first is Giau (also bleak) and the second the Sella south side (also windey in trees).
  • andyp wrote:

Think the second one is definitely Italian- maybe either the Pordoi or San Pellegrino?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    20% sounds hard but I actually found the north ascent more difficult, because it has about 2 km where the slope never really alters between 12-17%.
    15889465497_c51a01a3b9_z.jpg
    No one has attempted this, so I'll tell - the Hahntennjoch, north of Imst in Austria.
    In character, I think it not dissimilar to the Col de Joux Plane, near Morzine, just no lake at the top.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    knedlicky wrote:
    I don't know about the Galibier for the first, it has the bleak emptiness I associate with the Flüela or the north side of the Julier. And I don't remember the row of buildings to the right on the Galibier (although nor do I remember them on the Flüela or Julier)

The bridge is the giveaway, it's the Plan Lachat hairpin on the Galibier.

30498383.jpg

The Sella is a good shout for the third though.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    andyp wrote:

The middle one is the Val Martello climb as you say. A cracking climb, although beautiful though the switchbacks are, they're a bit unwelcome after a long time spent climbing :lol: Here they are minus the snow.

815_altimetria-val-martello-2.jpg
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    is the rainbow one the Pordoi?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    is the rainbow one the Pordoi?

Nope, Pordoi looks like one for the bucket list though :D

The photo was taken in 2010.
  • mr_goo
    Lower slopes
    zigzag1.jpg
    Upper slopes
    ZigZag%20Hill.JPG
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Zig Zag Hill!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    Zig Zag Hill!

One of my locals! - Normally much damper under the canopy, and the surface is awful.
    No surprise to see a motorbike in the photo though!
  • So I's have to choose a climb then...? OK folks, hang on, it will have to be a good'un, this may take some time.
  • OK here goes:

P6250046_zps62943e08.jpg
  • Looks like it's in America, so I'm gona say Sierra Road, as a guess
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    OK here goes:

P6250046_zps62943e08.jpg

Haarlem
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Sorry folks, got way laid by real life.

Alas it is not any minor nipple near Haarlem mores the pity. It is however in the US but not in the same mountain range as mentioned by TakeTheHighRoad.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Baldy?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    No need to be rude
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mr_goo
    Zig Zag Hill!

Correct.
  • mr_goo
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Zig Zag Hill!

One of my locals! - Normally much damper under the canopy, and the surface is awful.
    No surprise to see a motorbike in the photo though!

The road surface is flippin awful now, its like cycling up a rumble strip. I find Zig Zag quite an enjoyable climb despite the surface but just cannot get my head right on the climb up Donhead Hollow to the top at Win Green. I have a mental block since I cramped up and fell off during the Bournemouth Arrow a few years back.
  • Baldy?

Bingo!