Can you name the Climb?

Comments

• I know I've not guessed one, but I saw this yesterday. The two clues I'll give are that it featured on the route of this year's Tour de France and this picture was taken yesterday morning (7th Dec)

644381_10152926618244626_8179459306837326485_n.jpg?oh=a87ced32b7dea8add072f0ad80da12cd&oe=55452DAA&__gda__=1427352052_4864dd35e27fd5a4cacbb8c55b0525d7
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    cjp-2.jpg

Is that in the Pyrenees somewhere?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Mr Goo wrote:
    cjp-2.jpg

Is that in the Pyrenees somewhere?

I initially thought it might be the Passo Erbe but not at all convinced.
  • It looks familiar, reminds me a bit of the lower part of the Joux Plane which just seems to meander amongst the fields on either side, but the background doesn't look Alpine enough, hence my question about the Pyrenees.
  • Bad picture, but if you have done it you know it.

3105cf2069034bb41fa4ccb83672b25c.jpg
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    It looks familiar, reminds me a bit of the lower part of the Joux Plane which just seems to meander amongst the fields on either side, but the background doesn't look Alpine enough, hence my question about the Pyrenees.

Another vote for Joux Plane...
    Half man, Half bike
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited December 2014
    knedlicky wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Gotthard pass?
    Quite right! It's the old pass road as it descends to Airolo. This was taken on a Thursday late morning in the first half of September, and I think I only encountered 2 cars and 2 motorbikes on the descent, but by contrast about 8 bikes.
    I think the picture is not from the top as I remember a lot more tighter bends near the top. !
    I had to climb this before the new road and tunnel because it was the route to go North and it was busier then.
    (I like Lugano)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    deejay wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    What about this?
    8yyoht.jpg
    21ch2kz.jpg
    Possibly Mont Cassel. ?
    FJS wrote:
    Nope, not Mt Casssel
    And Not
    Crampeur wrote:
    The Citadel in Namur?
    Sorry I'm Lost and so is everybody else it seems.
    The second photo seems to have a river at the bottom.??
    I havn't got a book so I give up but I'm sure you will give me the Screaming Ad Dabs if you ever reveal the answer.
  • I'm guessing it's somewhere in Holland, based on the shape of the cobbles and the Skil rider.

I don't know enough climbs in Holland to have a proper guess though. Is the Eiserbosweg in AGR? If so, that's my guess
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Yes, it's in Holland, but not Amstel Gold territory.
  • deejay
    FJS wrote:
    Yes, it's in Holland, but not Amstel Gold territory.
    Maybe not but it is on the Veenendaal course, perhaps.
    I ridden through the woods on race day but that's the best I can do.
    That was in the days that it followed Fleche.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    deejay wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Gotthard pass?
    Quite right! It's the old pass road as it descends to Airolo. This was taken on a Thursday late morning in the first half of September, and I think I only encountered 2 cars and 2 motorbikes on the descent, but by contrast about 8 bikes.
    I think the picture is not from the top as I remember a lot more tighter bends near the top. !
    I had to climb this before the new road and tunnel because it was the route to go North and it was busier then.
    (I like Lugano)
    You’re right that the photo isn’t from the top, but it’s still from fairly high up.

Coming down from the top, the first km is three long straights one after the other, then come 24 hairpins. This photo is taken between hairpins 14 and 15 counting down from the highest, so about 3 km from the top.
    I wouldn’t say the bends nearer the top are any tighter than the bends in the photo.

After these 24 hairpins, there are three more long straights – in the photo, the beginning of the first can be seen in the distance on the other side of the narrow valley – before the final descent to Airolo starts. This bottom few kms has 9-10 more hairpins and several not-quite-so-tight curves, before a final long straight into Airolo, 12.5 km from the top.

(I’ll second your liking for Lugano. On a Sunday morning, when there is little traffic, I like the road around the peninsula to the south through Morcote, perhaps for a longer harder ride also adding on the climb to the Parco San Grato.)
  • FJS
    signs.jpg~original

:twisted:
    That'll be the Scanuppia. Most horrible climb anywhere?
  • FJS
    deejay wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    What about this?
    8yyoht.jpg
    21ch2kz.jpg
    Possibly Mont Cassel. ?
    FJS wrote:
    Nope, not Mt Casssel
    And Not
    Crampeur wrote:
    The Citadel in Namur?
    Sorry I'm Lost and so is everybody else it seems.
    The second photo seems to have a river at the bottom.??
    I havn't got a book so I give up but I'm sure you will give me the Screaming Ad Dabs if you ever reveal the answer.
    Right, perhaps this was a tad too obscure. It's the Kopje van Bloemendaal; the Dutch Box Hill/Monte Serra/Col de la Madone - a much used training climb. It's a dune all of 40 meter high, but the only hill near Amsterdam, so all the pros and no-pros based in and around Amsterdam use it for training; Niki Terpstra, Rick Flens, Jens Mouris, in the past Gerrie Knetemann. Time Krabbe has written a couple of short stories about it
  • FJS
    OK, a better known one
    Picos%2Bde%2BEuropa.Covadonga,%2BLago%2BEnol.jpg
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    Bad picture, but if you have done it you know it.

3105cf2069034bb41fa4ccb83672b25c.jpg

Is that in Majorca for starters?
  • FJS wrote:
    OK, a better known one

That looks one of those in Mountain High. I must admit to cheating a little and checking the book. Looks similiar to the Lagos de Cavadonga photo. Do I get half a point?
  • FJS
    FJS wrote:
    OK, a better known one

That looks one of those in Mountain High. I must admit to cheating a little and checking the book. Looks similiar to the Lagos de Cavadonga photo. Do I get half a point?
    Full points, as far as I'm concerned
  • deejay
    FJS wrote:
    Right, perhaps this was a tad too obscure. It's the Kopje van Bloemendaal; the Dutch Box Hill/Monte Serra/Col de la Madone - a much used training climb. It's a dune all of 40 meter high, but the only hill near Amsterdam, so all the pros and no-pros based in and around Amsterdam use it for training; Niki Terpstra, Rick Flens, Jens Mouris, in the past Gerrie Knetemann. Time Krabbe has written a couple of short stories about it
    I seem to remember your Location used to be listed as Amsterdam so I'm not surprised about your local knowledge.
    I switched off early last night and I recognised Lago Covadonga as I've watched the Vuelta on TV for over 20 years.
    I think the race finish is from where the photo is taken or the bottom right hand corner the road bears left and right to get to that place.
    No screaming Ad Dabs for me then as I've never been to Amsterdam and it will remain as one of my boxes without a tick.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    P8020836_zps02869c4b.jpg

P8020831_zps419d432f.jpg
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Mr Goo wrote:
    cjp-2.jpg

As a clue. This is in French Alps. Don't think it has featured in TdF for a few years.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Cormet de roseland?
  • Joux Plane?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    DSC09568%20%28Copy%29.JPG
    No ideas? Here's a view looking the other way. The col is at 2083 metres, if that's any help.

d5view.jpg
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Croix de Fer?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    P8020836_zps02869c4b.jpg

P8020831_zps419d432f.jpg

Strade Bianchi somewhere?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Joux Plane?

Yes indeedy. My first ever Alpine climb, started at 7 in morning whilst very quiet and cool. .Quite fantastic to see Mont Blanc as one climbs to the cafe and lake at the top.

I reckon the climb on other side of valley to the Ski Station is harder, 'Plateau de Saix'. It has never featured in any pro race as it would have to be a stage finish (dead end).

saix700.png

Top: 1626 m
    Average gradient: 9.2 %
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    DSC09568%20%28Copy%29.JPG
    No ideas? Here's a view looking the other way. The col is at 2083 metres, if that's any help.

d5view.jpg
    Mont Cenis?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem