Planet X London Road

Comments

• ryanshattered
    ryanshattered Posts: 177
    There is now a Hydraulic Disc version (still rival 22) available for a grand - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIVHRD/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-22-hydraulic-disc-road-bike
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    There is now a Hydraulic Disc version (still rival 22) available for a grand - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIVHRD/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-22-hydraulic-disc-road-bike

Oh how I wish I had bought the bike now, rather than before! I paid £999 for the version I have, and a few weeks later it was reduced to £799. Just unlucky....
  • ryanshattered

Oh how I wish I had bought the bike now, rather than before! I paid £999 for the version I have, and a few weeks later it was reduced to £799. Just unlucky....

Yeah, it's particularly galling when that happens. Especially since your testimony has probably netted Planet X a good few more sales of this model - you should be getting some commission!

I have just ordered mine in stealth black with the hydraulic discs. Can't wait!
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    Is the hydraulic disc version worth the extra £200 over the mechanical disc version? The Rival hydraulics cost about £300 more than the Rival/BB7 if bought separately so the price is good.
    I've ordered the mechanical disc version to use off road over the summer and as a road bike in the winter and I'm wondering if I'll regret not paying the extra for hydraulics?
  • ryanshattered
    staffo wrote:
    Is the hydraulic disc version worth the extra £200 over the mechanical disc version? The Rival hydraulics cost about £300 more than the Rival/BB7 if bought separately so the price is good.
    I've ordered the mechanical disc version to use off road over the summer and as a road bike in the winter and I'm wondering if I'll regret not paying the extra for hydraulics?

I had a bit of an internal debate myself and decided I'd regret not going for the hydraulic option. After all, if I later wanted to upgrade I'd be looking at £500+ outlay, hassle of fitting, then only making back whatever I could sell my used BB7s for.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Hydraulics, as well as giving better power and better feel, are generally self adjusting for pad wear and often need no maintenance between pad changes at all. I wouldnt hesitate, but that is not to say that good cable brakes cant be OK - BB5 & BB7 are about as good as cable brakes get. My son said that it was like night and day when I replaced his BB5s with Elixirs on his mountain bike though...
  • jakesurf
    jakesurf Posts: 31
    Hi,

Are there any 6'2" tall owners of this bike and which frame size did you go for? Looking at the Planet X sizing I could go for either the Large or X Large, not sure which at the moment.
  • ryanshattered
    jakesurf wrote:
    Hi,

Are there any 6'2" tall owners of this bike and which frame size did you go for? Looking at the Planet X sizing I could go for either the Large or X Large, not sure which at the moment.

I'm 6'1" and have gone for Large. I'll let you know how it feels when it arrives.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Just a heads up, frame and forks in silver is at £150 at the moment. Silver must not be a popular colour, but good value at that price.... Ideal for a winter bike build.
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    That silver frameset is very tempting, I have a Trek 1.5 road bike (standard aluminium 2x10 Tiagra) and a Trek Soho Hybrid (Nexus 8 speed belt drive) but gone off the hybrid at the moment as it feels slow and heavy compared to the road bike but dislike the brakes on the road bike so the London Road seems ideal as a fast but capable bike with they hydraulic brakes and mudguard/pannier mounts.

I'd prefer Shimano rather than Sram (I haven't used Sram Powertap but not keen on the sound of it since it sounds like you can only move one gear at a time) though so I'm wondering if it's feasible to build the frame with the Shimano hydraulic levers/calipers, 105 5800 derailleurs, cassette, cranks, Shimano RX31 and the other bits and pieces? I've been pricing it up and with the silver frame it looks to come to around £1000 ish although I've not built a bike before and I don't know if there's any limitations on the frame for this type of configuration?
  • ryanshattered
    So, the build date for my London Road (hydro disc version) was today. The email said they'd be in touch after build with shipping details.

As I sat at work this afternoon getting increasingly impatient, I decided to email them to see if the build had gone ahead and if so when to expect delivery.

Got an automated response, followed quickly by a proper response saying yes it had been built and informing me of the tracking number.

Plugged the tracking number into Yodel and was extremely surprised to see that Yodel had already delivered it to my Neighbour just minutes before!!! (Good job I trust said neighbour though!)

Pics to follow...
  • ryanshattered
    Bike is amazing.

However, Planet X have got a couple of things wrong on the build:
    1. They have fitted Avid Cleansweep rotors instead of the correct (and considerably more expensive) Avid Centerlines.
    2. They have not fitted the chain spotter to the front mech.

Not too happy about 1 especially - I paid the extra £200 specifically because of the superior brakes so I don't think this is on. Still, lets see how they respond before I get too upset...
  • ryanshattered
    Centerlines have been sent out free of charge.

They won't send the chainspotter on its own however. They say it comes as a unit so I would have to return my mech to them first. They also say it isn't part of the standard build, which confuses me as I am sure that you cannot even buy a Rival22 mech without the chain spotter included!

Did other owners get a mech complete with chain spotter?
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    The images on the website suggest they come as standard.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/imgs/products/px/950_constW/CBPXLDNRIVHRD_P11.jpg
  • ryanshattered
    staffo wrote:
    The images on the website suggest they come as standard.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/imgs/products/px/950_constW/CBPXLDNRIVHRD_P11.jpg

Yeah but there's a disclaimer somewhere that says not to rely on photos for spec, use the actual spec stated.
    My spec just states "SRAM Rival 22 Front Mech / Braze On"

I've looked around and I am pretty SRAM don't even make a rival 22 front mech without the chainspotter so I will take it up further with Planet X.
  • ryanshattered
    All sorted now - the mechanic was confused but I got through to somebody else who understood the situation.
    They are sending the spotter out to me. I must say I've had excellent customer service all the way through with Planet X.

Ok, they have made some mistakes in the build but they are quick to respond and rectify. They were also very helpful when I wanted to change my build from the mechanical to the hydraulic version, despite the computer saying no (system had the build I wanted set to 'out of stock'), the CS guy went off to find a solution and worked around the IT to make sure I could order the bike I wanted.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    They were good with my build. I ordered online but the confirmation missed a load of the components off like stem, cranks, etc. Basically anything I had changed. Called and the guy sorted it in 15 minutes phone call. It was something wrong with the website back office thing that was not playing ball. he changed it and the price went up. Cue another call and 5 minutes later sorted again.

They are pretty good service I think,
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Following this thread with interest, especially since the update about the SRAM Rival hydraulic version.

I'm interested in using the bike as a combined tourer/winter road bike, and considering tyre size options. I see the hydraulic version comes with 37c (bit toppy??) Continental Sport. Would it be feasible to fit mudguards around these, or would Planet X be open to speccing something a little narrower like 28/32 upon order?
  • ryanshattered
    PhilPub wrote:
    Following this thread with interest, especially since the update about the SRAM Rival hydraulic version.

I'm interested in using the bike as a combined tourer/winter road bike, and considering tyre size options. I see the hydraulic version comes with 37c (bit toppy??) Continental Sport. Would it be feasible to fit mudguards around these, or would Planet X be open to speccing something a little narrower like 28/32 upon order?

Yes, no problem fitting full guards around the standard 37mm Conti tyres.
    Here's mine, now fully kitted out for commuting duties:
    20150522_072516_zpsesyx0dkw.jpg
    20150522_072534_zpss2evzamw.jpg
    20150522_072555_zpsuzdwybc7.jpg

I was particularly pleased that my standard tortec velocity rack fitted over the tyres and guards as it's quoted as only being suitable for up to 28mm I think.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    edited May 2015
    That looks spot-on, thanks. What are the guards, Chromoplastic 45? (And thanks for the rack tip, I'm starting from scratch on this one!)

To be honest when I started looking at bike options my heart was going with a nice steel frame from Genesis, but I can't get away from the level of spec you get for the money with the London Road. Also I'm happy with my PX Pro Carbon, I like SRAM, and I think I know where I am with the geometry/size, etc. Definitely #1 choice at the moment.
  • ryanshattered
    PhilPub wrote:
    That looks spot-on, thanks. What are the guards, Chromoplastic 45? (And thanks for the rack tip, I'm starting from scratch on this one!)

To be honest when I started looking at bike options my heart was going with a nice steel frame from Genesis, but I can't get away from the level of spec you get for the money with the London Road. Also I'm happy with my PX Pro Carbon, like SRAM, and I think I know where I am with the geometry/size, etc. Definitely #1 choice at the moment.

Yes, Chromoplastic P45s.
    I love the tortec rack - I think it's the least obtrusive option on the market and if you only need it for panniers and don't want to put anything on top it's fantastic.

Yeah, the spec is totally unbeatable. To be honest I haven't seen anything approaching it as an all rounder at any price really.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I love the tortec rack - I think it's the least obtrusive option on the market and if you only need it for panniers and don't want to put anything on top it's fantastic.

I use that one - have had panniers on each side and a tent on top before, it is doable :D
  • johnmcl7
    Ryan, your bike looks great.

What is the smallest tyres you can buy it with from Planet X? If I wanted to put 25c slicks on would I need a different set of rims?

John
  • ryanshattered
    Johnmcl7 wrote:

What is the smallest tyres you can buy it with from Planet X? If I wanted to put 25c slicks on would I need a different set of rims?

John

Thanks very much John, extremely happy with it!

The rims are Mach 1 820 I believe. 19mm internal width and it looks like the minimum suggested tyre size for that rim is 28mm

The tyre options in the build were all either CX tyres or big road tyres.
    It's pretty rapid on the 37s to be honest - they suit the bike and they soak up the terrible roads on my commute nicely.
  • Adamgt
    Adamgt Posts: 114
    Johnmcl7 wrote:

John

The rims are Mach 1 820 I believe. 19mm internal width and it looks like the minimum suggested tyre size for that rim is 28mm

It's pretty rapid on the 37s to be honest - they suit the bike and they soak up the terrible roads on my commute nicely.

Can I ask where it says the minimum looks like 28mm? My London Road is on order and when I phoned them this week they said they could take a 23mm tyre. I'm likely going to put 25mm on mine when it arrives.
    Cannondale Trail SL 1 29er
    Planet X London Road
  • johnmcl7
    I'm swaying away from a silver self build as I was choosing that colour purely for the cheaper price even though the black looks better but seeing it in the pictures with the mudguard/pannier makes it look better still as it all looks like it's part of the bike.

I currently run 23c tyres on the road bike so was planning running 25c tyres on the London Road although I'm thinking two wheelsets is perhaps not a bad idea so I've the option of grippier tyres when needed.

John
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Johnmcl7 wrote:
    I'm swaying away from a silver self build as I was choosing that colour purely for the cheaper price even though the black looks better but seeing it in the pictures with the mudguard/pannier makes it look better still as it all looks like it's part of the bike.

I currently run 23c tyres on the road bike so was planning running 25c tyres on the London Road although I'm thinking two wheelsets is perhaps not a bad idea so I've the option of grippier tyres when needed.

John

The rims have been very easy when getting tyres on and off. Probably the best rims I've tried for that. Saying that, I would still love a second wheel set to be able to just swap wheels over when going between road and CX tyres.
  • ryanshattered
    Adamgt wrote:
    Johnmcl7 wrote:

John

Can I ask where it says the minimum looks like 28mm? My London Road is on order and when I phoned them this week they said they could take a 23mm tyre. I'm likely going to put 25mm on mine when it arrives.

There are generic guidelines in a table on the Sheldon Brown site, and I have seen these rims specced on other wheelsets where it states 28mm for a 19mm internal width rim. Smaller tyres may work as well, I have no practical knowledge of this other than what I've read.
  • Adamgt
    I spoke to px again and this time they confirmed that they wouldn't take 25mm, 28mm is the minimum. I've got them to swap out the tyres for 28mm though, something lightweight.
    Planet X London Road
  • Adamgt
    My London Road finally arrived today after waiting in until 4pm :(, so not had a chance to ride it yet. I thought I'd post photos though as I know there's not many around online.

This is the large Apex version and I got them to swap the tyres for Conti GP 4 seasons 28mm, which are very lightweight.

I just spent some time fitting it this evening so it's all ready for a ride out in the morning. I've changed the saddle straight away though, it's not for me, I have a Specialized Targa I generally use anyway. I'll be using this for fitness only really, evening and weekend rides. I wanted something ultra comfortable as I haven't got on with my two previous road bikes.

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg
    Planet X London Road