Castelli Alpha

Comments

• No. The chest is fine but the back of the arms and back are not water resistant. The jacket is the same fabric all over whereas the Jersey is designed to be much more breathable. If it may drizzle but it's warmer than 10 the Alpha Jersey is warm enough. I really like my Alpha jersey and it's been my most worn top this mild winter. If I hadn't bought a Gabba last spring I wouldn't buy one not I have the Alpha Jacket and Jersey as they pretty much cover all my riding
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My alpha jacket is still amazing after being washed multiple times with halo and retreated with nikwax spray but its not waterproof anymore not by a long shot but then neither is my Rapha softshell base layer after the same treatment, they are both very warm in the right conditions.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I use tesco soap flakes. Soft and gentle and non bio and no detergent. Then every few washes I use a nikwash wash in. Never had a problem
  • I was wondering about the nikwax was in, TX direct or something. Seems like a good idea as I guess you can't tumble the Alpha like you can the Gabba. Not tried it yet just washing 30 delicates with fairy!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    No. The chest is fine but the back of the arms and back are not water resistant. The jacket is the same fabric all over whereas the Jersey is designed to be much more breathable. If it may drizzle but it's warmer than 10 the Alpha Jersey is warm enough. I really like my Alpha jersey and it's been my most worn top this mild winter. If I hadn't bought a Gabba last spring I wouldn't buy one not I have the Alpha Jacket and Jersey as they pretty much cover all my riding

The back etc has Nano rain protection, so is water resistant - everyone's mileage with that seems to vary though...

In proper rain, I think I would prefer a Gabba to the Alpha Jersey but then the Gabba is often too hot, so I bought the Sportful Fiandre Light Norain top to try for that too...!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Hold on a minute!
    29 pages. On a jacket? All questions must be answered by now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    apreading wrote:
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    No. The chest is fine but the back of the arms and back are not water resistant. The jacket is the same fabric all over whereas the Jersey is designed to be much more breathable. If it may drizzle but it's warmer than 10 the Alpha Jersey is warm enough. I really like my Alpha jersey and it's been my most worn top this mild winter. If I hadn't bought a Gabba last spring I wouldn't buy one not I have the Alpha Jacket and Jersey as they pretty much cover all my riding

The back etc has Nano rain protection, so is water resistant - everyone's mileage with that seems to vary though...

In proper rain, I think I would prefer a Gabba to the Alpha Jersey but then the Gabba is often too hot, so I bought the Sportful Fiandre Light Norain top to try for that too...!

I'm on about when you go out and you get the odd shower or a bit of drizzle. If it's forecast to proper lash down then I'd probably go with the jacket anyway as I find water will get in eventually anyway so best thing is to keep warm.

At the moment I've got the alpha jacket for really cold/wet. A san remo thermosuit for chilly and dry. A gabba for chilly/wet. But the gabba could do with replacing so just wondered if I should get a gabba 2 or alpha jersey. To be honest I think it will depend on which one is cheapest.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Having had the Alpha Jersey for a year, and a LS Gabba for about 6 weeks, I thought I might summarise my views, and compare the two.

I love the Alpha, but it's lower temp range with a ss base layer is 8 degrees, as the arms are chilly below this. This is because the wind stopper is thinner than that used in the Gabba, and the ventilation strip lets some air in. With a LS base layer, which is my case is an Icebreaker merino 200gsm half zip, it's good to about 2 degrees. Below 2 I might pack Castelli's Velo windbreaker as an extra layer, although I haven't needed it.

I've had the Gabba about 6 weeks, and have ridden in it a lot, partly as I'm still in the honeymoon period. I almost bought a second Alpha, this time in red, but bailed and got the Gabba, partly as it's different, and partly as it is Castelli's most iconic (or hyped!) top. Before it arrived I thought it wouldn't breathe enough, wouldn't be warm enough without pro-cyclist power output; I was wrong.

The Gabba is as phenomenal as the Alpha, and in many ways they overlap a lot. I miss the Alpha's pocket with the Gabba, and the Gabba's reflective with the Alpha. I sometimes feel moisture on my back with the Gabba as it doesn't have the Alpha's wicking back, but it's never been uncomfortable, nor has my base layer ever been damp. The Alpha has a super snug collar, but the "waistcoat" zip can irritate the neck if the base layer has a scalloped neck, and it rests on bare skin.

Gabba is definitely warmer in the arms. The ventilation patch is above elbow, and the unlined wind stopper is thicker. The margin for me is at least a couple of degrees, maybe as much as 4. At 4 degrees with a ss base layer I have fresh arms with Alpha, but although Gabba starts cool, it warms quickly. Lower than this is LS for both, so crucially at many winter temps, you can get away with the Gabba and ss, but not so Alpha.

Water resistance is fairly equal, but Gabba clearly has total coverage, whereas the weak point with Alpha is the back.

They are both brilliant jerseys that do most of the British winter, but I'm slightly hedging towards Gabba, mainly for increased weather resistance and being able to use a ss base layer for longer. You probably don't need both, although as we warm up I expect to be in Alpha most of the time, as it largely replaces my Trasparente.

Gabba has exceeded my expectations, as I really thought it was all hype.

Hope that helps those struggling to decide

Dave
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Another vote for the Gabba here. Used my short sleeve in prolonged rain today, and 30+ mph winds. Worn with a Craft SS extreme base layer, Sportful No Rain Arm warmers, and (a new acquisition) some Nanoflex leg warmers with some DHB Roubaix shorts. Sure I got a little damp (I do tend to anyway as I'm a sweater so have now decided this will be inevitable for me), but the main thing was I stayed at a really comfortable temperature, even when stopped.

I do wonder if different kit suits some people better than others, taking into account the many variables of body shape, garment fit, whether you run "hot" or "cold", etc etc? Took a packable shell but didn't need to put it on and, despite the conditions, had the most enjoyable ride I'd had for a while :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • I have both Gabba 2 and Alpha... very different things. The Gabba is not warm... at 2-3 degrees and wind you will be freezing, while you will be very cosy in the Alpha. On the contrary at 8 degrees you will be boling in the Alpha and comfortable in the Gabba. One is a winter jacket, the other is a 3 season jacket for bad/windy weather.

They are both pretty waterproof, at least they are when new.

Bear in mind you will need one size up for the Alpha... I have a M Gabba and a L Alpha
    left the forum March 2023
  • karnali
    karnali Posts: 703
    I'm looking at the alpha jersey and the FWE king of the downs soft shell from evans, to be used mainly for commuting around 30 miles round trip with about 600-1000m of climbing depending on route home. and 1-2 hour rides road and mtb. anyone worn both and can compare them. They are at differing ends of the price spectrum but with discounts the FWE is £35 and the alpha jersey is £108 is it worth the extra??
  • Slightly different beasts. The FWE achieves it with old school thickness and the Alpha with new wave tech (sort of). Both will likely do the same but the FWE looks a little heavy overall. Well received on roadcycling.uk though.

I might be tempted to think about something like the dhb windslam range. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-win ... ll-jacket/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • karnali
    karnali Posts: 703
    thanks, I think that is my issue, I have tried both on they both fit well, but the castelli is lighter and feels thinner and I'm struggling to think it will be as warm, particularly on the sleeves, although that may give it a wider temp range with long and short sleeve base layers.
  • The Alpha jersey is light but it is surprisingly warm, with a LS baselayer I can go down to about 1 or 2 degrees and not get cold. If it warms up a bit the jersey breaths well and you never get to hot. With a SS baselayer can wear it in 10-12 degrees and not get too hot. It is a great Jersey and is worth the price as you can wear it in bif temp ranges. Freezing or below I would probably want the jacket though.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I got the Alpha Jersey, highly recommended and I echo Highroads comments.

It was 0-1 degree over Saddleworth Moor the other day and with a long sleeve craft layer under I was ok. I've also worn it with a short sleeve and the Alpha in 12 degrees and been fine even when really burning the fuel up steep climbs.
  • Yeah, the Alpha is a bit witchcrafty, it certainly has a wider range. It is worth the money
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ytchi
    ytchi Posts: 61
    I've bought an apha jersey a couple of weeks ago and was a bit worried that I'd bought the wrong thing as it just didn't look substantial enough to keep me warm in a low single figures but it seems to cope just fine. I haven't had chance to test it on a long ride on very cold weather yet but I reckon with a shortsleeve and a long sleeve base layer it would be good down to 0 degrees. It's a very nice top that sits in place well without riding up which is something castelli seem to get right where other manufacturers struggle a bit.

The alpha will replace my gabba for most things as the roubaix back makes it a lot more breathable than the gabba which I sometimes found a bit clammy when pushing hard.
  • You'd think after 500+ post people would just buy the thing!!

It is an excellent Jersey (assuming we're referring to the Jersey). I wouldn't agree with Ugo that it's warmer than the Gabba as I find my LS Gabba 2 warmer and clammier than the Alpha. I also mind it less waterproof than the Gabba due to the back and underside of arms not being as water resistant. The main difference is the Gabba is sealed and the Alpha has pieces of breathable and less water resistant fabric. All that said it does a good job of keeping the water out if it's intermittent showers and I much prefer the Alpha. It is more comfortable and better fitting. I wear a small if both and the Alpha is a slimmer cut but a similar size on me, maybe if you stomach was a bit fuller the Gabba would be a bit more generous but they are similar on the shoulders. I wear the Alpha 5X more than the Gabba but if it is going to rain and keep raining I will wear the Gabba. Temperature wise for me both are fine to about 5C with a thick (Castelli Flanders Warm) base if riding hard but I get cold. I prefer the Alpha Jacket if riding Z2/3 below 8C and pretty much all the time below 5C.

Overall the Alpha Jersey is my most worn LS top and a great buy. I'll probably get a second one soon in a brighter colour.
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    You'd think after 500+ post people would just buy the thing!!

It is an excellent Jersey (assuming we're referring to the Jersey). I wouldn't agree with Ugo that it's warmer than the Gabba as I find my LS Gabba 2 warmer and clammier than the Alpha. I also mind it less waterproof than the Gabba due to the back and underside of arms not being as water resistant. The main difference is the Gabba is sealed and the Alpha has pieces of breathable and less water resistant fabric. All that said it does a good job of keeping the water out if it's intermittent showers and I much prefer the Alpha. It is more comfortable and better fitting. I wear a small if both and the Alpha is a slimmer cut but a similar size on me, maybe if you stomach was a bit fuller the Gabba would be a bit more generous but they are similar on the shoulders. I wear the Alpha 5X more than the Gabba but if it is going to rain and keep raining I will wear the Gabba. Temperature wise for me both are fine to about 5C with a thick (Castelli Flanders Warm) base if riding hard but I get cold. I prefer the Alpha Jacket if riding Z2/3 below 8C and pretty much all the time below 5C.

Overall the Alpha Jersey is my most worn LS top and a great buy. I'll probably get a second one soon in a brighter colour.

Whereas I found the gabba pretty useless and perhaps the most overhyped piece of kit I've bought. Too cold,not particularly water resistant IME and ended up unworn. The alpha, however, I find warmer and more resistant to water. Back doesn't really get wet in drizzle/light rain but I'd not rely on it if lashing it down. Temperature wise I was doing fast training in it with a long sleeved base layer at 7-8deg last weekend and was just about warm enough, maybe a little cool in the arms. For approaching zero I move into the jacket version with long sleeved base - normally a castelli Flanders or helly Hanson warm freeze.
  • Lovely ride in my Alpha wind jacket/jersey (? Whichever one was on offer a couple of weeks ago). Merino baselayer, sportful bib tights...just perfect at 7C. Probably good for colder too.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Thick Mike wrote:
    Lovely ride in my Alpha wind jacket/jersey (? Whichever one was on offer a couple of weeks ago). Merino baselayer, sportful bib tights...just perfect at 7C. Probably good for colder too.

Twas the jersey, and yes they do have a certain mystic quality to them, never too hot and never too cold - plus the fit (for me) is pretty much perfect in Medium, just feels like it's tailor made - I do like my LS Gabba (Small) as well, and was hovering over the buy it button to get a SS Cannondale branded one from Evans, can't quite decide though. :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Just received my Alpha jersey pricematched from Wiggle against Evans for £87. Haven't ridden in it yet, the wide band around the hips feels strange as its so snug, I had to stretch the bottom of the jersey a fair way to do it up which made it feel tight, but then it was over my normal clothes.
  • weenyd
    weenyd Posts: 21
    tincaman wrote:
    Just received my Alpha jersey pricematched from Wiggle against Evans for £87. Haven't ridden in it yet, the wide band around the hips feels strange as its so snug, I had to stretch the bottom of the jersey a fair way to do it up which made it feel tight, but then it was over my normal clothes.
    I'm really tempted by the Alpha jersey. How did you get it for £87! I can't find it anywhere near that price.
  • daniel_b
    weenyd wrote:
    tincaman wrote:
    I'm really tempted by the Alpha jersey. How did you get it for £87! I can't find it anywhere near that price.

Evans had them last week I think it was, but predictably sold out quickly.
    Like Tcm I stuck a price match into Wiggle when Evans still had stock, but by the time they got to look at it, Evans were out of stock. Was eyeing one up as a b'day present for my brother for next September.

I bought mine 2 years ago from Evans, Laurel, for £70, there may be more bargains on them from other retailers, or that may be it for the Alpha this year.
    I suspect it might be worth keeping an eye on Castelli cafe, Wiggle, wheelies etc, as they may have some good deals in the next month or so.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ytchi
    ytchi Posts: 61
    Evans still have them for £108 in the white/black/blue colour. Not quite the deal mentioned above but still pretty good.

https://www.evanscycles.com/castelli-al ... Gwod4x0L5A
  • weenyd
    weenyd Posts: 21
    Daniel B wrote:
    weenyd wrote:
    tincaman wrote:

Evans had them last week I think it was, but predictably sold out quickly.
    Like Tcm I stuck a price match into Wiggle when Evans still had stock, but by the time they got to look at it, Evans were out of stock. Was eyeing one up as a b'day present for my brother for next September.

I bought mine 2 years ago from Evans, Laurel, for £70, there may be more bargains on them from other retailers, or that may be it for the Alpha this year.
    I suspect it might be worth keeping an eye on Castelli cafe, Wiggle, wheelies etc, as they may have some good deals in the next month or so.

Thanks for the info, seems like I just missed the boat. So, I'm assuming that after 2 years you still like the jersey if you're going to get your brother one.
  • daniel_b
    Yes it's one of my best bits of clothing, top 3 for sure, both in terms of technical performance, and critically fit.
    A lot of people seem to rate it as a more complete item than the jacket, though not for as cold conditions.
    I ordered and received a jacket, but it was soiled, so had to go back, but it didn't fit me quite as well as the jersey, maybe less stretchy, so wasn't looking to replace it anyhow, and it's always more pricey, that one was either £100 or £120.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Had a lot of use out of the jersey last winter/spring and again this autumn, good from about 10oC to just above freezing depending on the base layer and longs used. Definitely a go-to item of kit, also wearing very well. Above 10oC it's too warm for me when I'm working hard. OTOH I sometimes find myself getting cold in my warmest combination - Sorpasso Wind longs and a long sleeved thermal base layer - if I'm not working hard in near-freezing conditions, and I get chilled quite quickly if I'm not moving, so a jacket version is now on the way for the coldest rides. I'd be happy if they added some extra reflectivity mind.

EEM
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Given there are some good discounts on winter kit at the moment I am planning ahead and looking to purchase

I am looking at the Alpha and love the idea of the internal body warmer. But I am trying to choose between the jacket and the jersey. They are basically the same price at the moment, so it's more about function.

I imagine I'd use the jersey more (as it covers a more common range of temperatures as I understand).

However, the jacket would cover a range of temperatures that I don't really have alternative clothing for. I also have a Castelli Fawesome vest (which really has been Fawesome over the years) so this combined with a jersey and good arm warmers would have significant overlap with the jersey? I also like the idea of commuting (where I am normally going fairly slow/easier) with just a base layer and a single outer layer rather than spending 10 mins digging out base layers, etc... and then finding space to hang them all at the office.

Any advice?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    joey54321 wrote:
    Given there are some good discounts on winter kit at the moment I am planning ahead and looking to purchase

I am looking at the Alpha and love the idea of the internal body warmer. But I am trying to choose between the jacket and the jersey. They are basically the same price at the moment, so it's more about function.

I imagine I'd use the jersey more (as it covers a more common range of temperatures as I understand).

However, the jacket would cover a range of temperatures that I don't really have alternative clothing for. I also have a Castelli Fawesome vest (which really has been Fawesome over the years) so this combined with a jersey and good arm warmers would have significant overlap with the jersey? I also like the idea of commuting (where I am normally going fairly slow/easier) with just a base layer and a single outer layer rather than spending 10 mins digging out base layers, etc... and then finding space to hang them all at the office.

Any advice?

You've already thought it through and the jacket and the jersey would be used in different circumstances so it's a bit like asking whether you should buy a rolling pin or a whisk.

The jacket with a long sleeve base layer is enough for dipping below freezing, and mine doesn't ever get worn until it's about 6 degrees and lower (with a thin ss base when it's at that higher end). So the jacket will do that job you mention of commuting when it is dead cold but you only want one base layer.

The jersey would get used a lot more, as it will get used in milder temps that we have a lot more of.