Castelli Alpha

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    2 dog? Thats nothing, it was down to a single cat where I was...!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    2 dog? Thats nothing, it was down to a single cat where I was...!

Is this a variation on cats and dogs? Is 2 dog perhaps heavier rain than cats and dogs? Depends on the breed of dog I suppose...

Light drizzle - yorkshire terrier
    Moderate rain - border collie
    Heavy rain - doberman
    Torrential downpour - 2 dog, possibly bull mastiffs or great danes.
  • apreading
    Perhaps they need to start measuring waterproofness on the canine scale, rather than mm on the Hydrostatic Head Test.

So the Alpha jersey is presumably a border collie for a moderate walk of up to an hour, the Alpha Jacket is 2 dog over the yorkshire moors?
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    2 deg. ☺️☺️
  • azzurri78
    azzurri78 Posts: 104
    So have a medium Alpha wind jersey and that fits perfectly - or at least what I think is perfectly :D

Tried a medium Alpha and it feels just a little tight. Is that because I'm not on the bike when trying it and it will feel a lot more comfortable once I'm riding? To add a bit of context I'm 5ft8 and 67kg.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I'm 5-10 and 72kg and I wear a medium very comfortably. Yes, it's designed to fit properly when in a riding position - the chest and shoulders feel quite different and the waist band becomes unnoticeable once on a bike. I'd be amazed if you need a bigger size with your measurements.
  • sabgla
    sabgla Posts: 15
    Thought i should send in an update on my Alpha jacket now i have been riding with it for three months.

It is really warm. Have often worn it with nothing underneath (i do run warm though). That works well and it is comfortable against my skin. I can do that to around 3-4 degrees. I was worried when i bought it that it would be too warm for me but because it is so flexible that hasnt been a problem.

Went out this sunday, lots of snow and pretty cold around 0 degrees. Had a longsleeve merino baselayer on underneath. was a bit warm but it was great when coming down hills with the icy wind. The jacket is really windproof. The collar is particularly amazing.

The previous weekend it was raining a lot (plus some snow) around 3-4 degrees, so i wore a light waterproof jacket on top. That reduces the breathability but it still worked really well. didnt need a baselayer (put one on but took it off on the first climb).

I really like the two layer zip idea. I often open the front one for climbs and zip it back up on the way down. Sometimes have ridden with the inner one unzipped and the outer one closed on slightly warmer days.

It is totally my favourite bit of cycling clothing that i own.

SAB
  • Just ordered an Alpha Jacket and hope it's as warm as people say. I run cold and was cold on Sunday in an Elemento 7 Jacket which is suppose to be rated at 0; used a Flanders Warm base too. Body and back were fine but upper chest and shoulders were cold and I was riding tempo UZ3 to LZ4 for 5 hours. I did see someone in shorts though so everyone is different. I find I can't use my Alpha Jersey below 10 even with a LS base layer and my LS Gabba goes maybe 2 degrees lower although I much prefer the Alpha Jersey if it's dry. I initially ordered an Espresso Jacket on Sunday night but when that arrived it was too big in small, it seemed to me cut much more erogenous in the waist than my other gear so I'm hoping the Alpha Jacket is slimmer.
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    Just ordered an Alpha Jacket and hope it's as warm as people say. I run cold and was cold on Sunday in an Elemento 7 Jacket which is suppose to be rated at 0; used a Flanders Warm base too. Body and back were fine but upper chest and shoulders were cold and I was riding tempo UZ3 to LZ4 for 5 hours. I did see someone in shorts though so everyone is different. I find I can't use my Alpha Jersey below 10 even with a LS base layer and my LS Gabba goes maybe 2 degrees lower although I much prefer the Alpha Jersey if it's dry. I initially ordered an Espresso Jacket on Sunday night but when that arrived it was too big in small, it seemed to me cut much more erogenous in the waist than my other gear so I'm hoping the Alpha Jacket is slimmer.

Too big in 'Small' ??? Christ, you must fit into a matchbox !!

'erogenous in the waist' ??? ooooooooerr Matron........now thats a Jacket I'd buy !! :wink::lol:
  • The Espresso is a nice jacket. And very warm. I wonder, with my recollection of it, whether it's a bit warmer than the Alpha. It's a different type of warm, arguably, and is slightly less good in terms of weather protection. Nice jacket the Espresso though.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Zak3737 wrote:
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    Just ordered an Alpha Jacket and hope it's as warm as people say. I run cold and was cold on Sunday in an Elemento 7 Jacket which is suppose to be rated at 0; used a Flanders Warm base too. Body and back were fine but upper chest and shoulders were cold and I was riding tempo UZ3 to LZ4 for 5 hours. I did see someone in shorts though so everyone is different. I find I can't use my Alpha Jersey below 10 even with a LS base layer and my LS Gabba goes maybe 2 degrees lower although I much prefer the Alpha Jersey if it's dry. I initially ordered an Espresso Jacket on Sunday night but when that arrived it was too big in small, it seemed to me cut much more erogenous in the waist than my other gear so I'm hoping the Alpha Jacket is slimmer.

Too big in 'Small' ??? Christ, you must fit into a matchbox !!

'erogenous in the waist' ??? ooooooooerr Matron........now thats a Jacket I'd buy !! :wink::lol:
    Curse you spell check!!
    I'm 5'6 and 9st, waist 27 chest 38. Castelli jerseys are normally fine in small although I can't get into the aero race 5 as the chest is too tight in small and waist too baggy in medium. Wear the medium shorts and tights as have cyclists thighs! But gutted with the espresso as it seems a good size bigger and more of a touring cut. Hopefully the Alpha jacket will be there when I get home
  • I always took a L in Espresso but an XL in everything else. So you might well be lucky here.

27 waist. :( my legs are that big.......
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Alpha jacket arrived and it is small, slightly smaller than the elemento I'd say. It fits and I can fit a ls base under ok but no room to expand specially round the hips. Not as thick as id imagined but Castelli rate it one point warmer than the Elemento so should be ok and a close fit is always warmer. In some ways I was a little disappointed as it seemed so insubstantial, even had to check it wasn't an Alpha jersey! Think I'll return the Espresso as much as I really like it as its it's just too big and hope the Alpha is warm enough
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Guys - looking to get a size guide on the Alpha Jersey.

I used to have a Gabba in M which was snug (version 1).

current Go-To winter tops are:
    Rapha Pro Team Jacket : Small
    Pro Team Race Cape: Medium
    Assos Airjack: Small

I have a feeling I am between sizes. If anything I am bit thinner than when I had the Gabba.

Im 6ft with a 35-36 chest, if that helps.
  • apreading
    edited January 2016
    I think the fit is pretty much identical to the Gabba (v1) but the Alpha jersey is a bit more stretchy so your snug may be just slightly less snug - I would go for the same size.
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    I have a v1 gabba and alpha jersey both in size M and they are fine. If anything jersey feels a little looser.
  • I have a Gabba 2 long sleeve and an Alpha Wind Jersey, both in small. I find the Alpha snugger than the Gabba particularly around the waist. Personally the Alpha for me a fraction better as I find the Gabba a little loose on the waist. Chest is very similar. Gabba seems a bit longer too. I prefer the Alpha by some margin and only wear the Gabba if it's mostly raining
  • Anonymous
    Tried them on and the S is perfect. Totally agree wth the comments that it's a little stretchier. Feels surprisingly thin so can appreciate the comments about the benefit of a base layer for colder days.

Now, probably buying this week. Any idea where best offers are?
  • azzurri78
    azzurri78 Posts: 104
    coriordan wrote:
    Tried them on and the S is perfect. Totally agree wth the comments that it's a little stretchier. Feels surprisingly thin so can appreciate the comments about the benefit of a base layer for colder days.

Its a shame you're not a medium. PBK are selling the medium in black for £98.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    coriordan wrote:
    Tried them on and the S is perfect. Totally agree with the comments that it's a little stretchier. Feels surprisingly thin so can appreciate the comments about the benefit of a base layer for colder days.

6 footer wearing small? Holly cycling holidays, what have you done to your upper body, son?
  • Anonymous
    What can I say, I'm svelte! Certainly not a waif, by any stretch of the imagination. Racing snake?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Best buys at the mo seem to be Evans at £113.74 plus 5.25% TCB cashback, Wiggle for £110 with 3.25% cashback, or Sigma have them for £110.

Think they all have them in Small - Lauren is my fave and the one I own :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Anyone got washing tips for the Alpha Jersey? Do you put it in a mixed wash with other kit? 30° cold cycle in the machine? Ordinary persil or something else like nikwax tech wash?

Great bit if kit, I don't want to mess it up. Another 40 miles starting in cold sun shine then home in pitch black and cold yesterday, feet like blocks if ice, top half ok at 1° feeling like minus 2. Thermal socks and plain DHB overshoes didn't cut it.
  • apreading
    Halo sport wash for the win
  • Wouldn't worry too much about the washing, had mine since feb on 40 degree 'daily wash' and no ill effects at all, still as good as the day I bought it. The only thing I limit is the softener.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I only have one Castelli garment - the Trasparente 2 - that I bought in the sale.

I like it and it just about suits me right down to 0 deg (no rain) with a ls merino baselayer as I do run hot.

Just curious as to the differences between it and the Alpha jersey when it rains.
  • I thought the Transparente was not as warm as the Alpha jersey. I was considering one for when it gets warmer but I'll see how it goes with the Alpha. Personally I found the Alpha Jersey perfect for 8 to about 12 so far. Any less and I'm cold. Wore my Alpha Jacket for a 4 hour 80 miler today and it was 1-4 degrees and drizzly and it was fine. Medium base layer. Water started to deep in my arms after 3 hours when it got heavier but I was mostly dry and not sweaty at all. I rarely get hot and find I work best slightly warm, tend to shut down if I get too cold
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Is the alpha jersey as good in the rain as the alpha jacket?

I've got an original gabba that I think will soon need to be replaced. I've got the alpha jacket which I love and think is amazing. And I'm just thinking if going for an alpha jersey instead of a new gabba will be a better bet. I was surprised how well the jacket stood up to rain.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    Is the alpha jersey as good in the rain as the alpha jacket?

I've got an original gabba that I think will soon need to be replaced. I've got the alpha jacket which I love and think is amazing. And I'm just thinking if going for an alpha jersey instead of a new gabba will be a better bet. I was surprised how well the jacket stood up to rain.

I find the jersey very similar to the jacket in the rain (temperature differences aside) and preferred it to the gabba. Another option to consider would be the Mossa depending on your riding style/use