Castelli Alpha

Comments

• zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    I'd looked at the Alpha Jacket, well, lusted to be honest, but couldnt justify £200 for a jacket if I'm honest.
    Went for a Sportful Flash Softshell Jacket, @ £78.
    Worn for 1st time today, with just a BaaBaa Merino LS underneath, and was perfect in 0-2* all ride.

I'm sure the Alpha, & indeed others, are very nice, but whether they're worth 3 times the price is questionable ?!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    I'd looked at the Alpha Jacket, well, lusted to be honest, but couldnt justify £200 for a jacket if I'm honest.
    Went for a Sportful Flash Softshell Jacket, @ £78.
    Worn for 1st time today, with just a BaaBaa Merino LS underneath, and was perfect in 0-2* all ride.

I'm sure the Alpha, & indeed others, are very nice, but whether they're worth 3 times the price is questionable ?!

Picked mine up in the castelli cafe sale at the end of last winter for £125.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Looks a nice jacket - but as your review points out - no reflectives at the back ? That's a pretty huge omission.
    Why put reflectives on the Gabba top but not their warmer jersey ? Surely thats the wrong way round ? You're more likely to wear a jacket in the dark than a top ?

And the back is just too dark. Its going to be used on long dull grey winter rides. I want a bit of colour there that might just be seen by drivers coming up on me.

I'd love a job as a kit designer. Although I expect it'd end up looking like that time Homer Simpson designed a car....
  • Looks a nice jacket - but as your review points out - no reflectives at the back ? That's a pretty huge omission.
    Why put reflectives on the Gabba top but not their warmer jersey ? Surely thats the wrong way round ? You're more likely to wear a jacket in the dark than a top ?

And the back is just too dark. Its going to be used on long dull grey winter rides. I want a bit of colour there that might just be seen by drivers coming up on me.

I'd love a job as a kit designer. Although I expect it'd end up looking like that time Homer Simpson designed a car....

You could get some tape on ebay. Iron on. Easily done. I'd not avoid it because of the omission. I don't think other jerseys are as good overall. Big fan of the reflectives on DHB's aeron range as noted.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fenix
    I could - but if I'm paying what £190 on wiggle - I'm not going to do Castelli's job for them.
  • I could - but if I'm paying what £190 on wiggle - I'm not going to do Castelli's job for them.

£129. Depends how you feel about reflectives and where you stand in the being seen debate
  • fenix
    Weird - £192 on my browser ? And £211 for the new version ?

I think there was an offer on for an XXXL alpha earlier - but thats not showing now.
  • Weird - £192 on my browser ? And £211 for the new version ?

I think there was an offer on for an XXXL alpha earlier - but thats not showing now.

Alpha Jersey. Not jacket. :D The jacket actually has a tiny bit of reflective on a pocket. It's not much mind.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you are going faster than the speed of light, do reflectives work?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804

Alpha Jersey. Not jacket. :D The jacket actually has a tiny bit of reflective on a pocket. It's not much mind.

You mean the 'unfair advantage' bit. Hardly worth the effort for the size it is! Wouldn't mind more on it. Then again I bought a black one!

Do love my Alpha jacket though. Will take you below zero with only a base layer and be fine in low double figures with a string vest on. With that and the Trasparente jersey (a less high tech, less warm version of the Alpha jersey), it's pretty much all I wear outside of summer.

PS Love the blog
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    The Alpha jersey is available at Evans for £111.99 if you use their 20% off offer. Not sure how often it can be used but Z554-C43F-4A should work for at least the first person that tries it!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Hugely tempted by the Alpha jacket, especially as Wiggle are doing it for £191.99 then the £15 off current offer. But do I really need it? Have the Gabba2 LS jersey, plus the Flanders LS base layer, which I haven't worn yet, as it's not cold enough. If we had proper cold winters, then I'd buy it; as it is, it's usually wet, mild & windy.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Hugely tempted by the Alpha jacket, especially as Wiggle are doing it for £191.99 then the £15 off current offer. But do I really need it? Have the Gabba2 LS jersey, plus the Flanders LS base layer, which I haven't worn yet, as it's not cold enough. If we had proper cold winters, then I'd buy it; as it is, it's usually wet, mild & windy.

Spend another tenner and get £40 off.

I have the LS Gabba and the Alpha jacket and they complement each other well. I'd never wear the Alpha above 8 degrees or so and this is where the Gabba for me starts to get a bit chilly unless you layer up.
  • The way this "winter" is panning out, no one will ever need a warm jacket.
  • The way this "winter" is panning out, no one will ever need a warm jacket.

Move to Ireland. My Alpha jacket is getting well and truly used
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170

Spend another tenner and get £40 off.

I have the LS Gabba and the Alpha jacket and they complement each other well. I'd never wear the Alpha above 8 degrees or so and this is where the Gabba for me starts to get a bit chilly unless you layer up.

They only had 2 left in the large size, and the red colour, so I had to pull the trigger with a pair of socks to get the £40 off. I'm not sure I'll wear it that often with the mild UK winters, but at that price you can't resist.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    edited December 2015
    I bought a second gabba jersey so I thought after more than a year I should try the first one and wow how brilliant is the gabba, okay it was 8-10c all day but even so it was gusting 60 mph and wetter than an otters tail

two gabbas a gabba gilet and an alpha, bring on the gabba snorkel
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Now you need a convertible Gabba to complete the set...
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Today, the weather was finally just about cold enough to try out the Alpha Jacket. I took it on my usual 60 km training route which has 1400m of climbing with two 25 minute climbs.

I wore it with an Assos early winter base layer. the temps at the start of the ride were around freezing and the average for the ride was 5 degC.

My god, this jacket is warm. I was getting a sweat up fairly soon into the ride and in truth, it was too warm to wear for the climbs as I was getting too sweaty as the full windproofing meant that the jacket was breathing much less than the Alpha Jersey. The nice thing was that on the descents (5 km long, dropping into valleys where the temp was just above freezing), the heat stayed with me and I was not at all cold. Nice. However, after the second climb towards the end of the ride, I was getting pretty wet with sweat and did start to feel the cold a little. I would not have wanted to stay out much longer.

In truth, the Alpha Jersey is a better proposition for me under these conditions as it breathes much better, I stay drier and I can ride for longer without feeling the cold. It is far more versatile.

I think the Jacket will only really be used on days when it is freezing or sub-zero as otherwise it is just too warm. I'll experiment a bit more with different base layers and see if I can find a combination that works best.

So, a good jacket, but only for very the coldest of days.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Well going by this thread, I've just gone and bought an alpha Jersey. Also bought some reflective strips that I'll fix to the pockets just as a bonus. Not really keen to apply them elsewhere for fear of damaging the material...
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Well going by this thread, I've just gone and bought an alpha Jersey. Also bought some reflective strips that I'll fix to the pockets just as a bonus. Not really keen to apply them elsewhere for fear of damaging the material...

Good idea on the reflective strips. Where did you get them?
  • johngti

eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/190984248023

Thought these would look ok applied vertically on the pockets and it also avoids me having to neatly cut anything from a larger strip!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Thought these would look ok applied vertically on the pockets and it also avoids me having to neatly cut anything from a larger strip!

I tried several reflective strips, including these ebay ones, everyone peeled off as soon as there was any moisture on the jacket.

In the end i ended up buying a similar thing to this
    71YCR7pwIOL._SY355_.jpg
    I hate wearing it but it is pretty effective.

Still wish some reflective detail was already on the Alpha :(
    In my opinion it is the only fault with the jacket.
  • johngti

I tried several reflective strips, including these ebay ones, everyone peeled off as soon as there was any moisture on the jacket.

In the end i ended up buying a similar thing to this
    71YCR7pwIOL._SY355_.jpg
    I hate wearing it but it is pretty effective.

Still wish some reflective detail was already on the Alpha :(
    In my opinion it is the only fault with the jacket.

Whereabouts did you apply them? The thought that I could always sew them on to the pockets is hovering at the back of my mind...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    johngti wrote:
    Whereabouts did you apply them? The thought that I could always sew them on to the pockets is hovering at the back of my mind...

Mainly on the back, but also tried the arms & shoulders.
    They seemed to stick fine but after the first ride they had pretty much peeled off and had completely come off after a couple of washes.

Bought more expensive ones but same issue. Whether it's the Alpha material or I have just been unlucky I don't know, but in the end I gave up.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Looking for advice on sizzling, I've got a DHB Windslam in XL, have to turn the sleeves up as they are way too long. I'm about 41 chest, 34 waist, 5'8 quite broad, 13st. I've just read this thread and the Alpha Jersey sounds great, I run hot and really sweat up in the DHB Windslam jacket in club rides. I've tried DHB Merino base layers different weights and they end up soaking, then I get cold at the cafe stop...( don't stop I hear you say).

Some of you have quite a bit of experience with these top end kit ranges, I'd really appreciate your advice
    What size Jersey do you guys recommend? What sort of base layer(s) to team it up with to get through the winter
    ( UK, Kent Weald)

Happy New Year
  • Looking for advice on sizzling, I've got a DHB Windslam in XL, have to turn the sleeves up as they are way too long. I'm about 41 chest, 34 waist, 5'8 quite broad, 13st. I've just read this thread and the Alpha Jersey sounds great, I run hot and really sweat up in the DHB Windslam jacket in club rides. I've tried DHB Merino base layers different weights and they end up soaking, then I get cold at the cafe stop...( don't stop I hear you say).

Some of you have quite a bit of experience with these top end kit ranges, I'd really appreciate your advice
    What size Jersey do you guys recommend? What sort of base layer(s) to team it up with to get through the winter
    ( UK, Kent Weald)

Happy New Year

If you want the Alpha jersey, get an XL. Mostly dictated by your chest size, same as mine. More space for a base layer then.

Base layer, take your pick really. Craft ones on Wiggle are cheap at the moment. Colder? Helly Hansen Freeze is good, if you can get it cheap.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Thanks BDR, what about the sleeve length , would I be able to turn the cuffs under? I can get away with this on my Windslam, otherwise there will be a big bunch up. What do you think?

Thanks for coming back so quickly.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Thanks BDR, what about the sleeve length , would I be able to turn the cuffs under? I can get away with this on my Windslam, otherwise there will be a big bunch up. What do you think?

Thanks for coming back so quickly.
    The sleeves are a little long on my Alpha, I just let them wrinkle up a little at the wrist, no big deal...