Castelli Alpha

Comments

• Had to switch from my Jersey to my Jacket today for my early AM commute. Even more comfortable than the Jersey due to the aforementioned lined sleeves, and not only did it keep me warm on the ride in, but dry on the ride home too. Great bit of kit, can see it getting a substantial amount of use this Winter.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I haven't ridden with my jersey sub zero yet but from 2-6C long sleeved merino base layer, from 6 to 9C a short sleeved base and above 9-13C just the jersey. Above that I get too warm but I do run reasonably warm generally. I love mine though, I seem to be wearing it almost exclusively, superb bit of kit.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rapha head to toe today the jacket did keep me dry but only because the brutal headwind kept my speed low, my Rapha classic shorta however stayed wet alllll fucking day, how is that even possible?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Possible alternative to the Alpha?

Castelli Elemento 7x Air Jacket down to £160 at Chain Reaction just now.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/castelli-elemento-7x-air-jacket/rp-prod122842

Seems like a great jacket and great buy, not trying to highjack the thread but anyone have experience of this compared to the Alpha and Rapha stuff?
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/castelli-elemento-7x-air-jacket/rp-prod122842

Seems like a great jacket and great buy, not trying to highjack the thread but anyone have experience of this compared to the Alpha and Rapha stuff?

My missus has this and I have an Alpha jacket. Very similar insulation properties and both have the inner front layer. Cold damp weather has never phased her in this and she tends to get cold easily - she's often found under a blanket on the sofa...in the summer.

The Alpha is definitely more sleek (Gabba style) whereas the 7x looks more like a traditional jacket. Even in black I'd say it suits women more than men - the quilted look just doesn't work for me.

Seems like the two jackets do more or less the same thing. Most of the differences are in the appearance.

At that price, if you don't mind the quilted look it's a great buy.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735

I have the Alpha jersey and jacket, plus the Elemento 7x which I picked up in the sale last winter. I've also had the Rapha Pro Team jacket which isn't as warm as the Elemento, and not as good as the Alpha jersey, imo.

I like the Elemento a lot, and wore it when temp dropped to around 4C and below, although I'll try when few degrees higher this year. It's definitely more breathable than the Alpha jacket at those temps. It's also incredibly light in weight and comfortable, although not water resistant so only for dry days. It's probably best described as a deep winter jacket for dry days, but that will depend if you feel the cold or not when to wear it. I have the flouro colour which is great for winter.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    cheers guys, I've ordered one so will see how the fit is when it arrives as it does say aero fit which I prefer. Not so fussed about rain protection as I tend to not go out if it's already raining and can take a gilet in the pocket if there's a chance of rain whilst I'm already out.
    I have a cheapish soft shell already but find the lack of breathability causes me to dehydrate. I don't feel to hot in it but I do seem to sweat a lot more unless it's <5c so hope the Elemento is better in a variety of temps as it's supposed to.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    I've currently got alpha jacket and jersey and a gabba. Looking a t options for Crimbo presents, where do these sit in comparison to rapha? My simplistic thinking is

Alpha Jersey - rapha pro teAm jacket
    Gabba - pro team softshell
    Alpha jacket - ????

Is this about right or is alpha jacket more akin to pt jacket? Where does rapha winter wind proof jerseys sit?
  • They're all slightly skewed one way or another.

In terms of warmth:

Alpha Jacket
    Rapha Softshell
    Pro Team Jacket
    Alpha Jersey
    Gabba

Pro Team Softshell. (Can you tell I hate it?)

The winter jersey is interesting. If it's dry it's a very warm thing indeed. Arguably as warm as the pro team jacket, but not in the sleeves.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I must be the only one - but I find the Alpha jersey sensationally warm - with a non winter baselayer and the jersey I start to overheat at 7C!
    I found the jersey to work really well at around 0C.
    The jersey in terms of warmth is as good as the Assos airjack.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Got mine through the post today, unfortunately too short and small compared to my equivalently sized Gabba 2, probably one size smaller.
  • sabgla
    sabgla Posts: 15
    Bit the bullet and went for an Alpha jacket. Wore it this weekend. was a bit warm - didnt wear a base layer and unzipped the inner part after a while. It was very rainy and the jacket did leak after a while but i didnt get cold, even though it was blowing a gale.

the fit is really great. went for a medium and it is the perfect size for me. very nicely put together jacket. it almost seems like a jersey.

happy i got it.

SAB
  • Debating whether to get a second Alpha Jersey or a Pro Team Jacket. My current Alpha Jersey is getting such heavy usage at the moment, I really another garment that's similar (or the same) because I'm having trouble getting it dry/cleaned every couple of days.
  • Debating whether to get a second Alpha Jersey or a Pro Team Jacket. My current Alpha Jersey is getting such heavy usage at the moment, I really another garment that's similar (or the same) because I'm having trouble getting it dry/cleaned every couple of days.

I've got a XL alpha jersey for sale? I've slimmed down a bit and bought a red one in large. Great great top, wore it this weekend for my commute in some really crappy weather and it was perfect.

Cheers.

I've got a XL alpha jersey for sale? I've slimmed down a bit and bought a red one in large. Great great top, wore it this weekend for my commute in some really crappy weather and it was perfect.

Cheers.

Colour? :D
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I wore the Alpha Jersey yesterday in awful conditions extremely wet and windy.
    Long sleeve Aldi compression baselayer underneath, simply superb, even though I was soaked, I was not once too cold or too hot. It is magic!
    My mate had a Gabba2 on he was much drier than me but had an extra layer on. BTW the water repellency of the Gabba is astounding!
  • So, popped into the Rapha Manchester today and had a quick look around the Archive section. Found a Pro Team Jacket in Blue and White from earlier this year, reduced down to £140 and couldn't resist. Will be interesting to see how it compares to my Alpha Jersey.

Initial impressions are good, quality is of a very high standard as you'd expect from Rapha, and the fit is good too. It's not quite as race fit as the Alpha, but not far off it. Will see how it fares tomorrow.
  • xixang
    So, popped into the Rapha Manchester today and had a quick look around the Archive section. Found a Pro Team Jacket in Blue and White from earlier this year, reduced down to £140 and couldn't resist. Will be interesting to see how it compares to my Alpha Jersey.

Initial impressions are good, quality is of a very high standard as you'd expect from Rapha, and the fit is good too. It's not quite as race fit as the Alpha, but not far off it. Will see how it fares tomorrow.

Interested to see what you think. Off to the Manchester store myself next week and might treat myself
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Interesting review which I more or less agree with apart from the temperature range. with a decent base layer, the Alpha can be comfortably worn down to around freezing point (at least for me). I don't tend to wear mine above 12degC, I prefer the Assos Intermediate Evo above this temperature.
  • xixang
    I tend to agree with them as I'll run with alpha Jersey and S/sbase layer from around 15 down to around 10. After that it's getting too chilly for me without l/s base to around 5, then I'm looking at other options. This year I'll be trying the alpha jacket
  • I have been using the Alpha Jersey for the last year and can't recommend it highly enough. It isn't a winter jacket that will keep you warm with just a SS base layer, but with the right layering it can do the British winter. I never wear mine without a base layer, so sleeveless mesh at the top end and SS merino most of the time. Below about 7 degrees the arms get a bit fresh, as the wind stopper is thin, unlined and has the ventilation strip. With a LS layer it can go pretty close to zero.

What people don't seem to mention is that it is stretchy enough to layer under. I am Castelli L in everything and my Alpha is also L. I have a Rapha LS merino blend jersey that can fit under it very comfortably, so if you overwhelm the LS base layer then that is another option. I tried this with Gabba and although I could close the Gabba's zip, I felt like a sausage! I have a heavier icebreaker half zip merino base for this year, so we will see if I ever have to resort to a mid-layer.

Alpha jersey is great, it isn't the warmest in isolation, but it protects well, is very breathable and is flexible enough to do the British winter
  • xixang
    First time out in alpha jacket today. Worn with HH Freeze base layer,. 4deg and pretty windy, not as warm as I would have liked, esp on chest area. Certainly wouldn't like to try it sub zero. Mit need a second base but then it would get snug. Gonna try with castelli Flanders l/s base when it's washed, or maybe a jersey (rapha PT l/s).

Any other suggestions? Gillet will help chest but not arms
  • I've done minus numbers comfortably in the same set up. Never once had any chest area issues.
  • xixang
    I do tend to run at extremes - too cold in winter, too hot in summer. Will try again tomorrow
  • I do tend to run at extremes - too cold in winter, too hot in summer. Will try again tomorrow

It might be that the freeze is TOO Warm causing a build up of moisture there and then cooling. Try it with something more lightweight.
  • xixang
    I do tend to run at extremes - too cold in winter, too hot in summer. Will try again tomorrow

It might be that the freeze is TOO Warm causing a build up of moisture there and then cooling. Try it with something more lightweight.
    f

Interesting thought. May run with a lighter base tomorrow and take gillet just in case
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Wore my alpha jacket properly for the first time today and wow it's fantastic. Was hovering around 0 all day and I only had a short sleeve base layer on underneath and was toasty warm. Yes could probably do with a long sleeve baselayer to be extra toasty on the arms but wasn't really an issue. Brilliant bit of kit. 10/10.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Yep, 4hr ride between -1 and +3 degrees with only a LS merino base layer underneath. Snug.

I think only permanent sub zero or a biting wind will need more