Castelli Alpha

Comments

• the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    I'd convinced myself I " needed " an alpha Jersey after reading every page on this thread and a few early morning windy rides recently and saw that Evans had them in with 10% off, I then remembered you could exchange tesco vouchers for Evans vouchers so I ordered some and waited, and waited and waited. Chased up the vouchers which arrived today and then went to buy the jersey.
    And you've guessed it, now out of my size! Bugger!!

Possibly pointless post of the week I know but if anyone wants to flog a laurel/grey Jersey in XL then please get in touch.

I blame bendertherobot!!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The Rover wrote:
    I'd convinced myself I " needed " an alpha Jersey after reading every page on this thread and a few early morning windy rides recently and saw that Evans had them in with 10% off, I then remembered you could exchange tesco vouchers for Evans vouchers so I ordered some and waited, and waited and waited. Chased up the vouchers which arrived today and then went to buy the jersey.

Possibly pointless post of the week I know but if anyone wants to flog a laurel/grey Jersey in XL then please get in touch.

I blame bendertherobot!!

I know its not Laurel/grey but you can get a black one in XL for £102 here: http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli- ... 1?var=5946

You get some 'scorpion points' too - which add up to good discounts (although you have to buy more Castelli kit to get/use them!).
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I wore mine for the first time over the weekend and I think I found the upper limit on temperature range. It was about 13C when I went out (without a base layer) and rose to about 16C and I wouldn't really have wanted to wear it any warmer than that. It did a grand job overall though in very blowy and showery conditions, very very well designed bit of kit. I'm looking forward to the autumn now!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Its say a windy day at 13c is defo on the upper limit you'd want to be wearing an alpha jacket.

Wore my rapha hardshell today just across london, no rain but plenty windy, too hot or either really. Time to switch to either a sportful hot pack or rapha wind jacket 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • the_rover
    apreading wrote:
    The Rover wrote:

I blame bendertherobot!!

I know its not Laurel/grey but you can get a black one in XL for £102 here: http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli- ... 1?var=5946

You get some 'scorpion points' too - which add up to good discounts (although you have to buy more Castelli kit to get/use them!).

Thanks for the link, I'd seen that but only want the laurel colour. Something will turn up or I'll just use one of the other dozen jackets/jerseys I've got!
  • apreading
    Actually, if you click the link, they now have a laurel one in XL for £99 - be quick though, they might only have one! (they didnt have any yesterday)
  • the_rover
    apreading wrote:
    Actually, if you click the link, they now have a laurel one in XL for £99 - be quick though, they might only have one! (they didnt have any yesterday)

Got it! Your a star!
    Believe or not I checked your link minutes before my last post and they only had the black ones available.
    Got 3 scorpion points as well, another 12 to go for a discount!

Cheers. :mrgreen:
  • apreading
    I love it when it works out like that! Always worth checking back with them as stock on discounted items seems to come and go - I guess when they get returns perhaps. Anyway, good job you got in quick because it says out of stock now so they did only have the one!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    So I have ordered a limey one from the Cafe in Medium, might have it tomorrow.

I now have 12 loyalty stamp things - it says they sometimes increase the value of these from the stock £60 - does this happen much, or is it just marketing talk?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:

I now have 12 loyalty stamp things - it says they sometimes increase the value of these from the stock £60 - does this happen much, or is it just marketing talk?

Blimey, ordered after 3pm yesterday, arrived this morning just after 10am!

Hmmm, I have a couple of small issues with my jacket, have mailed photo's to them, just waiting to hear back from them.
    I notice they say they do not pay for returns, but surely if a product is faulty, or not as new, then I would think they should refund.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • the_rover
    Daniel B wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Blimey, ordered after 3pm yesterday, arrived this morning just after 10am!

Hmmm, I have a couple of small issues with my jacket, have mailed photo's to them, just waiting to hear back from them.
    I notice they say they do not pay for returns, but surely if a product is faulty, or not as new, then I would think they should refund.

Mine arrived this morning as well, it's quite similar to the transparente top I've got. Weather looks a bit ropey on Sunday so I'll test it then.

What's wrong with yours? I'll check mine in case I've missed something.

Cheers.
  • daniel_b
    To be honest I think it is a return that has been worn.

There is some piling around the collar, a black mark on the front, and most noticable on the back of the flap that covers the zip there is probably a 2" line of something that has marked it.

:?

If it was a cheap jacket I would probably wash it and be done with it, but to me this is top dollar, and I REALLY look after my kit, both in terms of how I treat it, as well as wash it and dry it, so I want it to start out perfect.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • the_rover
    I thought mine might be a return as it was the only one they had it that size and didn't show it in stock the day before, I'll check it properly tomorrow.

Evans have some left at a very good price but in med and small but with another 10% off until the 11th.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cas ... y-ec067226
  • daniel_b
    The Rover wrote:
    I thought mine might be a return as it was the only one they had it that size and didn't show it in stock the day before, I'll check it properly tomorrow.

Evans have some left at a very good price but in med and small but with another 10% off until the 11th.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cas ... y-ec067226

Ah mine was the jacket, and I have no problems with purchasing returned items, and can tell I have done so several times - you can tell sometimes subtle things like the item is not folded in a specific way, or more blatant when the tags are missing or not attached, or in one case with some shoes where the tags were missing and 'Returned' was written on the box. I've never returned a return purely because it was a return.

Thankyou for the tip re the LS jersey offer, just bagged one using that code and going through quidco for 6% additionally, should bring it in plum on £75, which although not cheap, is still £100 off it's rrp, and that strikes me as a good deal :-)

I think the jacket will just go back, as although it is nice, I have a herd of top drawer mavic ones, and a Giordana which all fit me perfectly.

Hope you get on well with yours on Sunday.

EDIT: Damn it, I am now tempted by the San Remo thermo suit from £260 down to £117 with the code, and before quidco.....

EDIT2: Now ordered......

My mindset is that I have just 'saved' £250 :shock:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Great jersey but not very durable. Think I bought what is essentially an R&D project in December.

The stitching at the cuffs has all come away and the tap on the bottom of the zipper of the gillet has come off mean ing I can't keep it zipped up.

Awaiting a response from PBK to get it replaced.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    This sounds too similar to be simply coincidence. Whilst not Castelli but a "sister brand", I had to return both a Sportful R&D jersey and R&D bib longs To PBK a couple on months ago due to failed stitching. A mate also had to return his R&D bib longs to PBK for a similar issue (burst stitching in a different area). Is there a reason PBK are often so much cheaper than elsewhere? Wouldn't mind so much but this is supposed to be top end kit...

Replacements have been fine so far though.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    From my limited experience with Castelli, I don't think it is as well made as it should be for the price.

The stitching on the cuff of my Alpha Jersey has also failed. It's still a great jacket, but I don't expect it to last very long, sadly.
  • apreading
    yes, its not just PBK. The quality control of Castelli seems to consist of send all the stock out to the customers without checking and let them send back the items that should have been rejected on the factory floor...

My first pair of Free Aero bibs the stitching for the pad came apart first ride, the replacement had one leg gripper on upside down (the writing upside down!), the third had the leg gripper cut wrong so that the writing was cut off. Thankfully I persisted because I have now had 4 faultless pairs (apart from the scorpion logo peeling/cracking a bit on some but this is also common with all castelli shorts for some reason). The kit is just so good though, that it is worth putting up with - just inspect with find toothcomb (or microscope) when you receive it! When it is put together right it really does last and perform fantastically well.
  • pazzar
    pazzar Posts: 25
    Same problem with mine,stitching started to come away on the cuffs after 6 weeks of wear.

Luckily the other half is great with a sewing machine and now it looks good as new.

Apart from that its been great.
  • daniel_b
    Castelli Cafe are going to refund the postage, which is good, item sent off today to them.
    They also mentioned that they will soon be offering free returns.

Bit disappointed to read the quality concerns above :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    The jersey arrived today, this looks like a very good buy for £75, and for me is better value than the jacket at £128, as I think it will also be a more flexible garment for me.

Fit is good in a medium for me, and it's definitely not a previously worn item!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Mines hanging up ready for tomorrow might need a snorkel as well.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    How is the fit of the jacket? I've got a medium Gabba that fits well so would I be best getting a medium alpha jacket?
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • apreading
    I found it fractionally more roomy than the Gabba. Only by a VERY small fraction but I was almost able to go for an XL in the Alpha, whereas the Gabba was more obvious that I needed XXL.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Think I'll go for the Medium. To be honest there's not much room in the Gabba and I'd say I'm more a M/L so with what you're saying the Medium should be a good fit.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • apreading
    Actually thinking about it, I think the fit is cut the same as the Gabba but the material is a bit more stretchy meaning that there is a bit more room before it feels uncomfortable. Sounds like M is the right option for you Rozzer.
  • itboffin
    Until today I've not worn anything other than a base layer under mine it's very close fitting but perfect sizing large for me, today I worn a rapha club jersey underneath, not one of my better ideas.

Very warm to say the least
  • I (foolishly) snipped off the washing instructions label, and subsequently lost it. Now needing it's first wash, could someone do me a solid and write them up? Can't seem to find anything online specific to the alpha.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I haven't got the label for mine anymore but basically 30 degree wash with non bio and it's be fine.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • I haven't got the label for mine anymore but basically 30 degree wash with non bio and it's be fine.

Cheers. And no fabric softener?