Last Comments about Scotland... maybe ever...

123457»

Comments

• florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    can not think beyond enough people realising increased spending and taxation powers was not going to be good for them personally

be careful what you wish for...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,691
    k-dog wrote:
    Meanwhile those with young families haven't got 2 beans to rub together - unless they're a banker or estate agent etc. and are paying 6 times their salary to buy a house that's half as big as they need.
    That's not just in Scotland.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    bompington wrote:
    simonhead wrote:
    Sorry Vtech, you are wrong
    deeply astonished that anyone should feel the need to say this.

With your hand on your heart, how many times have you sat down and supported england against anyone ? (presuming your scottish)

I remember watching scotland v brazil in the world cup a few years ago with my father in law and mother in law and supporting scotland throughout. I also remember flying back from glasgow to birmingham and england playing football against italy and not only were there dozens of scottish at the airport cheating on italy, the staff from the shops were also in with it.
    Now we can take this as banter but it was deep-set dislike of england winning. Cheering when england lost a ball or anything. I found it odd.
    Living MY dream.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    VTech wrote:
    Please don't pretend that the scotts love the english, OK hatred was way over the top but scottish people dislike english as a whole, they feel that the english get the better deal and abuse rights over scotland. They do HATE anything sporting towards the english and would pick any country in the world over england at any sport.

You're being painfully simplistic. I can dislike Tory voters as a whole but I have very good friends who vote Conservative. I can write off Americans as a bunch of gun waving xenophobes who care nothing about the world and know even less about it but just about every American I've met has seems to have been very nice. You can assign any characteristic to a group that you like but when it comes down to it, people are individuals.

Yes, the Scots do probably like to see England lose - as I said before, that's down to tabloid brainwashing telling them to do it. Don't read into it anything more than that. Most people don't even go to watch sport.

As for the referendum. Maybe next time the SNP should be more realistic and target independence for Glasgow and Dundee. It's pretty clear that the country as a whole, those places apart, is overwhelmingly against independence.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    VTech wrote:
    I also believe strongly that people voted against england because its england and not because it was in the interest of scotland which is a sin.

Nobody voted "against England".
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    cc78 wrote:
    Nobody voted "against England".

Exactly.
    England may have been a factor for some but to imply that the referendum was against England is nonsense - Westminster maybe, but that is not the same as anti-Englishness.
    The majority, remember, voted to remain part of the UK.
    It's becoming tiresome now, this Scotland hates England nonsense. You're basically accusing a nation of being racist. If it wasn't so inaccurate it would be offensive.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    I live in Scotland. I do not have a Scottish accent. I got stick at school but in the real world in a town with social problems and high unemployment - the usual cocktail that makes for prejudice, I have rarely come across 'hatred'.

Someone will be astonished that I even wrote that :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I'm a keen cyclist, walker, backpacker and around outdoors activities. This takes me into rural and backwater areas of the UK. Some very interesting areas and people too.
    In the far SW Scotland, where I often went over several years, I met and became friends with many loads. One such trip was after the 2003 rugby world cup where England won it against Australia in Australia. In my local there the locals were all wearing all black rugby tops. I asked why and they said NZ were the only team they thought stood a chance of beating their old enemy England. They stopped supporting their own nation and became all black supporters.
    This was not hatred or banter but somewhere in between. Just like English football fans who take delight in MUFC losing 5-3 and who call them "scum!".
  • As a scot living in northern england I find myself trying to support the england football team but unfortunately they are not good enough. It is one thing to support scotland as you know they have no chance. It is quite another thing to support a team that actually think they can win a tournament until the disapointment of watching them play hits home. Ut is quite frankly depressing.

Scots dont hate the english but like most individuals do hate idiots irespective of nationality. Cant say fairer than that.
  • I have only felt hatred towards me as an Englishman in another nation once in my life. That was in a mid Wales pub over twenty years ago. A truly intimidating atmosphere that I've never felt anywhere in Scotland or anywhere else since. I know other people who've felt similar hatred or just plain racist or prejudiced opinions/attitudes in Wales. In all cases it was a minority that most of their own people would be ashamed of. In one case with a Scottish friend in Wales his Welsh friend actually went back in and in Welsh put them in their place. They hadn't realised one of them was Welsh.

This is all anecdotal but it's my opinion based on these stories and events, plus many more, that convince me VTech is wrong about hatred.
  • pinno
    I'm a keen cyclist, walker, backpacker and around outdoors activities. This takes me into rural and backwater areas of the UK. Some very interesting areas and people too.
    In the far SW Scotland, where I often went over several years

Aaaah, you're the bloke who went around Scotland in the nude and in the Galloway Hills was once the only 'attraction' for miles around.
  • bdu98252 wrote:
    As a scot living in northern england I find myself trying to support the england football team but unfortunately they are not good enough. It is one thing to support scotland as you know they have no chance. It is quite another thing to support a team that actually think they can win a tournament until the disapointment of watching them play hits home. Ut is quite frankly depressing.

Scots dont hate the english but like most individuals do hate idiots irespective of nationality. Cant say fairer than that.

Personally I don't see what is in football to actually enjoy. I do watch bits of works or European. Cup but I tend to pick one team in each game to support. Prefer to pick the winner but do pick the plucky loser if they have the right attitude e.g. republic of Ireland under Charlton as manager all those years ago. I have never picked a football team just because they were playing Scotland or wales. Not the same with rugby six nations, but that's because rugby means so much more being a better game. There's so much history between Scotland and England that the rivalry is healthy.
  • I'm a keen cyclist, walker, backpacker and around outdoors activities. This takes me into rural and backwater areas of the UK. Some very interesting areas and people too.

Aaaah, you're the bloke who went around Scotland in the nude and in the Galloway Hills was once the only 'attraction' for miles around.
    Not me honest gov! I have run around naked in the highlands to warm up after an ill-advised wild swim in a loch if that counts.
  • pinno
    I'm a keen cyclist, walker, backpacker and around outdoors activities. This takes me into rural and backwater areas of the UK. Some very interesting areas and people too.

Not me honest gov! I have run around naked in the highlands to warm up after an ill-advised wild swim in a loch if that counts.

I used to go camping every year in the Highlands. On my first visit to Loch Ness as a newbie, the more seasoned campers led me and others to believe that Loch Ness was shallow and warmed up quicker as well as being fed by a hot spring. In our enthusiasm (having swam previously in the pools of Bruar Falls) of a 'warm' swim, we stripped off and ran off the end of this jetty...
    I was only 11.
  • Years of whitewater kayaking means I know exactly what that cold water felt like. You really have to be careful though as the sudden shock of really cold water has at least two potential hazards I know about. The first is the immediate, sharp drawing in of breath, not a very good thing if you are submerged in the water. That really does happen. The other thing is the shock of a sudden immersing into cold water can cause heart problems all the way up to heart attack. Never seen this last one happen but I have seen the sharp breath happen a few times. Mostly they just come up spluttering but it can be serious.

Years of winter kayaking in water that could be so cold it would freeze on your kayak after each wave passes over means I got over the cold immersion breath issue. Divers also get over it but as a newbie paddler, or a newbie wild swimmer, it is involuntary response.

I bet you felt good though afterwards "Pina". I must admit that once you get out and warm up that cold immersion always seemed to make me feel better, more alive and totally refreshed.
  • pinno
    Years of...

I bet you felt good though afterwards "Pina". I must admit that once you get out and warm up that cold immersion always seemed to make me feel better, more alive and totally refreshed.

Yes but a sauna and a plunge pool is far more humane. Does the heating system a world of good.