Last Comments about Scotland... maybe ever...

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Just told one of my customers north of the wall that his carriage costs would be going up from Thursday as he'd be abroad. He was happy as he said he wouldn't be paying any more of our VAT.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Just told one of my customers north of the wall that his carriage costs would be going up from Thursday as he'd be abroad. He was happy as he said he wouldn't be paying any more of our VAT.

Just tell the cheeky f*ckers that carriage will now be 25% of order value, that'll teach 'em :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    arran77 wrote:
    I too have asked for the source of his 'fact' :lol:

Lets see what we get back :wink:
    Not that I want to be answering on someone else's behalf, but Bradford???????????
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/12/you-shoul ... y-4866654/
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    PBlakeney wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    I too have asked for the source of his 'fact' :lol:

Lets see what we get back :wink:
    Not that I want to be answering on someone else's behalf, but Bradford???????????
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/12/you-shoul ... y-4866654/
    Wow, just wow. :shock:
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    VTech wrote:
    I guess at least when the big corporates are looking for cheap land and employees they will have that available in Scotland !

Therebye avoiding England. So why exactly, if this were to be the case, is it a bad thing? You really are a fud.

You silly silly man. Have you no idea how bad this is ?
    I can't explain economics on a forum post especially as I'm away doing business and have more important things to do but you need to study more.

If you honestly think that low paid jobs and huge tax breaks to bring in corporates is a good thing then you are a fool.

You need exports.
    You need manufacturing.

Thankfully I'm a manufacturer and export so don't have to worry about idealists like you who are so stubborn that they would rather argue than agree for the right thing.
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    VTech wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I guess at least when the big corporates are looking for cheap land and employees they will have that available in Scotland !

Therebye avoiding England. So why exactly, if this were to be the case, is it a bad thing? You really are a fud.

You silly silly man. Have you no idea how bad this is ?
    I can't explain economics on a forum post especially as I'm away doing business and have more important things to do but you need to study more.

If you honestly think that low paid jobs and huge tax breaks to bring in corporates is a good thing then you are a fool.

You need exports.
    You need manufacturing.

Thankfully I'm a manufacturer and export so don't have to worry about idealists like you who are so stubborn that they would rather argue than agree for the right thing.
    So, the corporates come in and manufacture things using the cheap labour for export. What was your point again?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    arran77 wrote:

There must be a source for this fact other than your own bigoted beliefs :P

As for when I've been to Scotland, plenty of times to be fair, you've got a fairly decent downhill course going on at Fort Bill.....maybe when you get your independence we could have it shifted down south please 8)
    Yeah, I read this book. Most the BTL responders seem to agree with him...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/un ... glish.html

Lots of England is great and the sun sometimes shines but there are as many sh|teholes down south as up here.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Hey! Since when is UK Manufacturing really that bad? I hate to tell you there is still UK Manufacturing going on. Yes, we are no Germany but we are still doing ok. I've worked for a few manufacturing companies and deal with a lot more now and we all seem to be investing and growing. Mind you I am in automotive so perhaps that is one of the exceptions. Vtech will know more. Of course you'll argue foreign owned, blahblahblah, but they are contributing to UK economy all the same. Midlands is still working it seems.

What makes you think that ?
    I grew up in the midlands and almost everyone I knew as a kid worked or had family working at Leyland.
    The problem is that the government were bailing out rover to the tune of millions per month so whilst people thought it was doing well, tax layers the country over were losing out to keep a dead weight afloat.

We also do what I'm saying Scotland will do. Peugeot and Citroen pay next to nothing in return for giving decent paid jobs. We win from the side of people working but we don't get the full tax due !
    We have consistently made bad deals but sometimes I realise that this is necessary as otherwise the corporates would simply go elsewhere.
    My concern is the damage to the Scottish economy when the government strike poor deals for a quick fix.

If the worst that happens is some folk on a forum thinking I'm a loom then I can live with that because I can assure you all that given the choice, I really do hope I'm 100% wrong.
    Living MY dream.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Had a thought today. If they go indy, we will not have any news or weather reports for Jockland on the telly. It will be treated the same as Ireland.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Had a thought today. If they go indy, we will not have any news or weather reports for Jockland on the telly. It will be treated the same as Ireland.
    At 7.35 AM
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Just think, the weather reports will be shorter!
    Please keep up.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    At 7.35 AM
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Just think, the weather reports will be shorter!
    Please keep up.

You didn't think about the news though.

No more reports of hikers lost in the Cairngorms.
    No more football results for the mickey mouse Scottish League on Final Score.
    No more traffic reports for the M8.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    Mr Goo wrote:
    No more reports of hikers lost in the Cairngorms.
    No more football results for the mickey mouse Scottish League on Final Score.
    No more traffic reports for the M8.
    Maybe.
    The hikers are quite often English so that would still make the International news section.
    No one needs to see all the leagues on Final Score any more. Does anyone still do the coupon?
    They could cut out the M8 report anyway. It is busy but not as busy as the M25. Full stop.

There you go. Two sections cut out regardless of the vote.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I would be interested to know if there is a division between how tbe Highlands and Islands will vote and the south of Scotland.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    SecretSam wrote:
    I would be interested to know if there is a division between how tbe Highlands and Islands will vote and the south of Scotland.

Posted the other day in the other thread.

1410519444764_wps_7_Scotland_political_map_jp.jpg
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    SecretSam wrote:

It rests upon Dumfries and Galloway and Dundee. If Dundee vote YES it will be very close and if Dumfries and Galloway vote Yes, the Yes vote will win according to some professor on Radio 2 today. The litmus paper for the Yes vote is Dumfries and Galloway, which I can tell you is firmly in the 'No' camp.

Interestingly, the impoverished communities are more likely to vote Yes than the more affluent.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    SecretSam wrote:

It rests upon Dumfries and Galloway and Dundee. If Dundee vote YES it will be very close and if Dumfries and Galloway vote Yes, the Yes vote will win according to some professor on Radio 2 today. The litmus paper for the Yes vote is Dumfries and Galloway, which I can tell you is firmly in the 'No' camp.

Interestingly, the impoverished communities are more likely to vote Yes than the more affluent.

The impoverished are attracted by promises of higher benefits but the No voters realise they will have to pay them. :wink:
  • arran77
    Ballysmate wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

The impoverished are attracted by promises of higher benefits but the No voters realise they will have to pay them. :wink:

Where do you fall in this whole debacle Piña?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech you talk about Leyland and Rover like they're current issues. Peugeot and Citroen and tax avoidance (if I understand you) but if you talk about automotive manufacturing talk about JLR and others. Talk about component manufacturers shipping parts into tier 1 manufacturers around the world from the Midlands and other areas. I know you're some kind of big businessman with a higher level view on economy and business but the bit of industry I see seems healthy. There's large tier 1 company's based here or ordering from here supplying OEM parts into a wide range of makes and models. You'll have heard of JLR, BMW, mini, Nissan, etc. There's metal bashers all over the Midlands plus makers of so many other component classes. Not just cars but into trucks, vans and other industrial plant. Then there's aerospace in the Northwest and other areas. There's a lot going on here, now not back in the days of Leyland or Rover.
    I can only talk about what I've seen and it's looking good right now. We're not Germany with its manufacturing base but we're no basket case and neither is Scotland.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    arran77 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Where do you fall in this whole debacle Piña?

I was going to vote yes because I did not think that the yes vote would win and my vote would add weight to further devolution for want of the 'devolution max' option. Now the Yes vote has gained momentum (too much), I am voting no.

The 3 key issues are:
    Trident
    UKIP and
    Europe.

I do not want Trident, I never thought that we needed a nuclear deterrent. We would have just been in the firing line of Russia and obliterated had the cold war reached meltdown. There has only been 5 day's of peace globally since the end of WW2. In what way has nuclear arms been a deterrent to war and conflict? Updating Trident will be an obscene waste of money.
    UKIP are making progress because of A) The xenophobic bigots and B) Because the current political culture/climate has so little ideology and the players inept so they seem like a good option. I want to be as far away from their mentality as possible.
    The EU has become a political football for the Tories and are even comprehending an in out vote on Europe which is madness. I am a Europhile and I find the Tory/UKIP stance is based on intolerance and a blindness to the benefits of a cohesive Europe in the face of huge economic pressure from the far east and the US.

It would me plain stupid to plunge into independence without thoroughly testing the water so a period of increased powers and fiscal powers will give Scotland a much better idea of whether we can survive as an independent nation sometime down the road.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    Pina, I respect you for coming on here and explaining your thought process. If. as I still feel unlikely, there is a YES vote you will be 2/3 happy.
    Trident would be moved eventually and you wouldn't have to worry about UKIP.
    BUT you would be devastated to find yourself outside the EU. There is a touch of irony there.
  • UKIP are making progress because of A) The xenophobic bigots and B) Because the current political culture/climate has so little ideology and the players inept so they seem like a good option. I want to be as far away from their mentality as possible.
    The EU has become a political football for the Tories and are even comprehending an in out vote on Europe which is madness. I am a Europhile and I find the Tory/UKIP stance is based on intolerance and a blindness to the benefits of a cohesive Europe in the face of huge economic pressure from the far east and the US.

Yes, I think UKIP are making ground purely on the support of baby boomers who think the world should stay the same as they remember it until they are in the grave which puts the Tories under pressure to respond to such sentiment. I suspect there are Conservative party members who would like to ignore the UKIP threat and move on with more progressive ideas but the current demographics prevent them from doing so.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    UKIP are making progress because of A) The xenophobic bigots and B) Because the current political culture/climate has so little ideology and the players inept so they seem like a good option. I want to be as far away from their mentality as possible.

Yes, I think UKIP are making ground purely on the support of baby boomers who think the world should stay the same as they remember it until they are in the grave which puts the Tories under pressure to respond to such sentiment. I suspect there are Conservative party members who would like to ignore the UKIP threat and move on with more progressive ideas but the current demographics prevent them from doing so.

Don't get me started on UKIP, the party of the small-minded, the narrow-minded and the feeble-minded.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • veronese68
    SecretSam wrote:
    Don't get me started on UKIP, the party of the small-minded, the narrow-minded and the feeble-minded.
    Completely agree with this. But this was supposed to be a light hearted thread, unfortunately Piña is making sense so we may have entered a strange parallel universe.
  • arran77
    After Piña's very well thought out discussion in favour of the no vote lets drag this thread back down to the gutter :wink:

Things are obviously getting pretty bleak north of the border because I got an email from Wowcher this morning offering me either one square foot of Scotland for £14.99 or ten square feet for £24.99, a 50% saving :shock:

I'm going to hold out another day though and I reckon they'll pay me :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Completely agree with this. But this was supposed to be a light hearted thread, unfortunately Piña is making sense so we may have entered a strange parallel universe.

Sorry, that's my fault, I asked his opinion :oops:

I've rectified things now though :wink:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    arran77 wrote:
    After Piña's very well thought out discussion in favour of the no vote lets drag this thread back down to the gutter :wink:

Things are obviously getting pretty bleak north of the border because I got an email from Wowcher this morning offering me either one square foot of Scotland for £14.99 or ten square feet for £24.99, a 50% saving :shock:

I'm going to hold out another day though and I reckon they'll pay me :lol:

It's a scam.
    It's only the bits of Wembley turf they nicked in the 70s
    Bastards are trying to sell our own stuff back to us.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Quick thought, who gets Berwick upon Tweed?

There's only one way to find out......
  • nathancom
  • arran77
    nathancom wrote:

Excellent source :lol: Good and upto date too :wink:
    nathancom wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    simonhead wrote:
    Hows this light hearted thread become so bleeding heavy?

nathancom wrote:
    Edinburgh and Glasgow are finer cities than most of what passes for civilization in England

Because people are making it personal and getting all bitter :wink:
    No, it is simply a statement of fact.

Would be really interesting to know when the last time most of you were ever in Scotland to be such experts. I suspect the Daily Mail is the main source of 'knowledge' here.

seanoconn
  • nathancom
    Have a biscuit