Vuelta 2014 Stage 11 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Gutsy ride by Froome. My guess is he didn't eat before the climb but took on some sugar and was recovering by the end.

I've no evidence of this, just a guess based on how he climbed. It was clear he was trying to maintain a pace whilst the others put he sprints in
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    IC. wrote:
    Gutsy ride by Froome. My guess is he didn't eat before the climb but took on some sugar and was recovering by the end.

That was my thought as well. He does have a history of it. We'll see what he says in the interview.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Valverde grabs a few more seconds... I confess I'm warming to his canny riding...

Great to see Gesink firing after his health problems...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Froome to Control: "Empty tank. Need sugar"

Control to Team: "Froome says empty the tank lads."
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Macaloon wrote:
    Froome to Control: "Empty tank. Need sugar"

Control to Team: "Froome says empty the tank lads."

:D
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Astana now have the two best GT riders in the world.

?
  • Astana now have the two best GT riders in the world.

?
    If the world only extends to the Italian peninsula
  • Froome the winner of the day. Rides like that sort the men from the boys. You can't win Grand Tours if you do not know how to suffer. Do not like him too much but the boy is one of the best suffer riders in the pro peloton.

I think so too. I actually quite like the guy, but generally try not to confuse "like" with "admire". This was a fab demonstration on why cycling is such a good sport to watch. Seldom do you see suffering like that in other sports.

Aru as well - very admirable chap. And I think he has panache.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Nightmare. Really like Quintana.

PTP Carnage! Glad I picked Evans for GC ... :?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So I reckon that was good for the race.

That will probably put Froome's head in a good place for first time since Dauphine. 2 easy days and the form is coming. Could possible be interesting still.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I still don't think Froome has the physical capability to win this race but he certainly appears to have the mental capability based on today's stage. My fears of a bit of a procession seem (at the moment, at least) to be unfounded. A good days's racing on what was to be honest only a taster of what's coming up although I was surprised that none of the leading GC contenders tried to put the others under some sort of duress.

Uran lost a few more seconds but I still wouldn't write him off a podium place.

Bring on the Lagos !
  • iainf72
    Froome doing quite well at humanising himself

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/ ... 1194083328
  • Certainly made for an interesting highlights show, do hope it's a sign of the form coming for Froome and the fight continues
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Macaloon
    iainf72 wrote:

Spoke very well yesterday after a pretty shocking TT. I'm gagging for a full strength Froome - Contador GT showdown. Fireworks guaranteed.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Spoke very well yesterday after a pretty shocking TT. I'm gagging for a full strength Froome - Contador GT showdown. Fireworks guaranteed.

Kind of although he just said he went off way too hard so suffered in the latter half. Implication being for me that he thinks he messed up rather than admit he didnt have the legs. (A pro like him especially one from the team that is Sky would know how to pace themselves...unless he has done away with his power, hrm and plan and is riding on feel). Think today showed he didn't have the legs he wished for.

Its fine though. I lauded praise on him today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador's comments today are great. Class.

He said a lot but thus is my favourite:
    "I congratulate Aru today but I am not surprised. Watching the Giro on tv, he reminded me of myself: he is courageous and has good changes of rhythm. He is going to be a star."
    High praise indeed. Glad I backed Aru from when he wasn't even a pro. Heart of a lion.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Morabito was involved in a pile up then whilst on the ground got run over by two motorbikes!!! Dislocated his shoulder nut2 sorted it himself apparently.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Morabito was involved in a pile up then whilst on the ground got run over by two motorbikes!!! Dislocated his shoulder nut2 sorted it himself apparently.

Proper hard nut then, could you imagine a footballer doing that these days
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Contador's comments today are great. Class.

He said a lot but thus is my favourite:
    "I congratulate Aru today but I am not surprised. Watching the Giro on tv, he reminded me of myself: he is courageous and has good changes of rhythm. He is going to be a star."
    High praise indeed. Glad I backed Aru from when he wasn't even a pro. Heart of a lion.

That's class is it? Congratulating them by likening them to yourself and blowing smoke up your own ass? Fair enough!

Maybe it was lost in the translation a bit.

Also, 'Heart of a lion'. Get real, he felt strong and attacked a bit, he's just another cyclist going as hard as he can when he feels good.
  • Macaloon
    Quintana had bruising to his toes where they "hit the crash barrier" :shock: Looked like a real hard man on the highlights. More scunnered to be out of the race than crippled by the pain.

Prolonged scenes of Morabito rolling on his shoulder were a tough watch.

What, getting run over by a motorbike? :?
  • Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Morabito was involved in a pile up then whilst on the ground got run over by two motorbikes!!! Dislocated his shoulder nut2 sorted it himself apparently.

What, getting run over by a motorbike? :?

No the sorting it himself part.
  • Macaloon
    I missed most of the climb live. Pretty gutsy of Froome to dangle off the back and be happy for teammates to keep pulling.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Let's face it Froome has form of dangling off the back, looking to be in trouble and then attacking. He should have given Bertie the 'keep up' hand signal like he did to the race leader the last time :lol:
  • iainf72

Kind of although he just said he went off way too hard so suffered in the latter half. Implication being for me that he thinks he messed up rather than admit he didnt have the legs. (A pro like him especially one from the team that is Sky would know how to pace themselves...unless he has done away with his power, hrm and plan and is riding on feel). Think today showed he didn't have the legs he wished for.

Its fine though. I lauded praise on him today.

Or unless this idea that riding on power is some kind of panacea is a myth and doesn't really affect how people ride.
  • Pross wrote:
    Let's face it Froome has form of dangling off the back, looking to be in trouble and then attacking. He should have given Bertie the 'keep up' hand signal like he did to the race leader the last time :lol:

Think if he had it would be one of those moments to remember
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    So I reckon that was good for the race.

That will probably put Froome's head in a good place for first time since Dauphine. 2 easy days and the form is coming. Could possible be interesting still.
    I reckon so. He was looking decent before his crash. And crashes effect everyone. You don't see gauze at the front of the race. I think he'll get better from here on in. Sunday is a big day for all.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Contador had blue, then yellow then red tape on his knee. Why? Does each tape have different properties?

094-PIC491681380.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • SPTDW1039.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    SPTDW1039.jpg

He really isn't very good at hide and seek.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.