Vuelta 2014 Stage 11 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    jamie1012 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Peerless Imlach on wincing at Quintana crash: "...consider this - there's a limited number of body parts that can dislodge a saddle"

I really like Imlach. I'm always surprised he hasn't gone on to bigger things - although maybe he is happy with what he does.
    I wish he was the main commentator.

Me too, but only because we don't get to see the commentator's face and Imlach does seem to own a quite punchable one.
  • mfin
    Oh sh1te. That's such a shame about Quintana.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Contador, Valverde and a re-vitalised Uran go clear at the end today.
  • mfin wrote:
    jamie1012 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Peerless Imlach on wincing at Quintana crash: "...consider this - there's a limited number of body parts that can dislodge a saddle"

I really like Imlach. I'm always surprised he hasn't gone on to bigger things - although maybe he is happy with what he does.
    I wish he was the main commentator.

Me too, but only because we don't get to see the commentator's face and Imlach does seem to own a quite punchable one.
    I can think of very few less punchable people in cycling. Rage problems?
  • mfin
    jamie1012 wrote:

No, I didn't mean he was punchable, I quite like him! He just has one of those unfortunate screwed up aggro faces.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    Peloton Watch ‏@PelotonWatch 1m
    #LaVuelta Quintana has abandoned.

@Lotto_Belisol 1m
    #LaVuelta There was a crash in the peloton. Nairo Quintana was one of the victims and he has abandoned the race.

This is really is a disaster for cycling fans globally.

rds_031.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Valverde must be SO happy right now.

Quintana has injured his shoulder and is on his way to hospital.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Valverde must be SO happy right now.
    Really? His option of sending Quintana on a long attack - as he did at the 2013 Tour - and forcing Contador (who doesn't have good team) to chase has disappeared.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Like I said. Almost 2 weeks of Valverde ( and Rodriguez) following Contador's rear wheel around various Spanish mountains.
    Tune in for the final km uphill sprints.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    mfin wrote:
    jamie1012 wrote:

No, I didn't mean he was punchable, I quite like him! He just has one of those unfortunate screwed up aggro faces.

Quite
    1966_011a.jpg

Ripped and Torn by N. American names.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    All of this isn't deterring AC who got into a breakaway group of 31 but Movistar and Astana have brought them back
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Really? His option of sending Quintana on a long attack - as he did at the 2013 Tour - and forcing Contador (who doesn't have good team) to chase has disappeared.

Haha, I suppose this is a consideration. What a move that was, then Porte (who can barely finish a race this year) was tearing him up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar

Quintana has injured his shoulder and is on his way to hospital.

I've read it's his collarbone which is probably worse (although Cav might beg to differ)
  • WE NEED LIVE VIDEO

Contador is in a group of 30 odd riders off the front.

100ks to race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    WE NEED LIVE VIDEO

Contador is in a group of 30 odd riders off the front.

100ks to race.

See above - been brought back
  • Haha, burning them out. What a champion.

First hour of racing is 50km/h.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Intermediate sprint won by Valverde followed by Contador.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Shame... poor Quintana. Hope he recovers well and comes back stronger!

So did Movistar go into the race with a clear Plan B - Valverde's early moves, which seem to have paid off? Or were they just running with two Plan As.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:
    The way the road has been marked up would suggest that are planning on getting some repairs done even if it's just pouring a bit of goo (technical term for us highway engineers!) into the cracks.
    Ah, Mr Blobby is back.
    I've seen him many times around here with the little squares on the road. Blob, Blob Blob.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    dish_dash wrote:

So did Movistar go into the race with a clear Plan B - Valverde's early moves, which seem to have paid off? Or were they just running with two Plan As.

I think valverde had a plan B, not so sure about the team.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    deejay wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The way the road has been marked up would suggest that are planning on getting some repairs done even if it's just pouring a bit of goo (technical term for us highway engineers!) into the cracks.
    Ah, Mr Blobby is back.
    I've seen him many times around here with the little squares on the road. Blob, Blob Blob.

Betancur?
  • mfin
    dish_dash wrote:

Good news, he's going to Contador's doctor and because it's a lot smaller bone he's broken he will be fit and racing again on Friday's stage.
  • joelsim
    mfin wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Good news, he's going to Contador's doctor and because it's a lot smaller bone he's broken he will be fit and racing again on Friday's stage.

Let's hope he isn't going to see Contador's 'doctor'
  • dsoutar
    Maxime Bouet has abandoned

as is Pinot
  • "Invisible" Pinot abandons.

Ah, I see that's been added above.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mfin wrote:
    If he's using Contador's doctor, he can go back to where he crashed and finish today's stage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dsoutar
    DS Philippe Mauduit talked strategy today at the start : "We haven't decided to let the jersey go away or not. For sure, Alberto didn't bluff before the Vuelta. He never told us that he'd be competitive. He only wanted to try. Now with Jesús Hernandez, Chris Anker Sorensen, Oliver Zaugg and Sergio Miguel Paulinho, he has the team he needs to defend the red jersey in the mountains. It's wonderful for all of us to experience this unexpected situation with him."
  • joelsim
    This has got to be Purito's best ever chance of a GC win with Nairo out, and AC/Froome not at their best.

Hope he does it.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Joelsim wrote:
    This has got to be Purito's best ever chance of a GC win with Nairo out, and AC/Froome not at their best.

Hope he does it.

Valverde, seemingly another recipient of Alberto's faith healer, must surely weaken soon? I'd love to see J-Rod win. But how slack have Aru (+2.27), Wilco (+3.29) & non-mutant Martin (+3.48) been?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • dsoutar
    Joelsim wrote:

Hope he does it.

If AC get's any better, as he's expected to, then I've probably got about as much chance as Purito
  • mfin
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    If he's using Contador's doctor, he can go back to where he crashed and finish today's stage.

Good point, and he'll only be a couple of hours down and he'll be in with a shout.