Vuelta 2014 Stage 10 *Spoilers*

Comments

• COntador looking awesome on the bike
    left the forum March 2023
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    COntador looking awesome on the bike

Apart from seat shuffling himself every 2 seconds, and it does look like every 2 seconds.
  • So should Sky have taken Wiggins instead of Froome? :D:D:D
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Martin has got this I reckon. One of the tightest for a long time for him. Since Froome somehow beat him on the pan flat Mt St Michel one.

Contador riding like a true champion. Valverde going well - he said he would. Quintana dig deep you little warrior.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 1 Martin 174 47' 02''
    2. Cancellara 211 + 11''
    3. Uran 177 + 15''
    4. Contador 201 + 39''
    5. Sánchez 41 + 48''
    6. Evans 43 + 49''
    7. Kiryienka 195 + 58''
    8. Valverde 151 + 1' 01''
    9. Sergent 216 + 1' 13''
    10. Froome 191 + 1' 32''

Congratulations Martin. Very god time to Cancellara and Uran quality ride.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    Good rides by Valverde and Contador then, shame there's no-one who fans of riders with a clean history can get behind. Good rides though, shame for Quintana. Froome isn't right. Froome and Quintana issues looking like a bit of a shame for the Vuelta now.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Martin has got this I reckon. One of the tightest for a long time for him. Since Froome somehow beat him on the pan flat Mt St Michel one.
    Martin won that TT from Froome by 12s, it was the hilly TT Froome won in 2013.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    :shock: :cry: :evil:

No way Valverde keeps this going through the two weeks with a full Tour podium battle in his legs. Froome in divide by zero territory on Kerrison's spreadsheet: no legs as well as tentative driving. Quintana +3.25 to Contador which he's not getting back.

Dearie me.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Oh yeah, my bad, nearly won it and came close enough for Martin to be very surprised.

--

Quintana loses 4mins to Martin. Not so bad. Fighter.

Contador would have murdered the TdF as I am sure you all know now. Froome was talking up this stage and knew it was a time to take time. He failed. Mentally he is going to be very down. Lets hope he comes out fighting in the mountains.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Now I don't want to brag (and I might be spking too soon) .... but I'm the only one to pick Bertie for GC on the PTP 8) :D
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • josame wrote:
    Now I don't want to brag (and I might be spking too soon) .... but I'm the only one to pick Bertie for GC on the PTP 8) :D

Haha that's crazy. Would be interested to see how bookie's odds went on this one.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    josame wrote:

Haha that's crazy. Would be interested to see how bookie's odds went on this one.

I think 12/1
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • That made a mess of the GC.
    Piti to follow Bertie's rear wheel around Spain for another 2 weeks.
    Already looks like another Nibali TDF, GT.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Not too bad from JRod there.
  • mfin
    Alberto doing his dickhead pistol thing on the podium as usual.

Hopefully unless you're Spanish (or FF) something will happen to see him lose it. A couple of mountain stages will be worth following, lets hope it continues to be watchable after that.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Macaloon wrote:
    :shock: :cry: :evil:

No way Valverde keeps this going through the two weeks with a full Tour podium battle in his legs. Froome in divide by zero territory on Kerrison's spreadsheet: no legs as well as tentative driving. Quintana +3.25 to Contador which he's not getting back.

Dearie me.

Quite.

Never mind, there's always the Tour of Alberta...
  • We have hardly touched the mountains yet (there are 6 to come). Anything can happen.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hideous crash for Nario. Gutted for him. The saddle came off the bike. The TV bike did will to to catch his arm.

Good stage all round, wish it was closer to keep it interesting.

This stage confirms Contador didn't break his leg and left the tour because he was getting smashed by Nibali. Right?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Loving the truncation of Valve's jersey:

The Jerseys after Stage 10/21:
    GC: Alberto Contador
    POINTS. John Degenkolb
    KOM: Luis Mas
    COMB: Alejandro Valverde
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • How well can saxo hold up vs the whole rest of the peleton for two weeks? They have a good cushion. I suspect another feast for the breakaway nobodies and AC the hold on comfortably in the mountains. Movi can do a Quintana Valverde 1 -2 combo on him a few times though.
  • dsoutar
    We have hardly touched the mountains yet (there are 6 to come). Anything can happen.

Would be great if it did but I can't remember when AC last had a bad day and the other contenders aren't going to pull back that much time

Incidentally, whilst we're on that subject, when did AC last have a really bad day (crashes and / or mechanicals excluded) ? I can't remember one off the top of my head but as the unofficial ACFC general secretary you of all people ought to know. Just curious tbh
  • dsoutar
    josame wrote:

Uran would have been a e/w good bet, I think he was 20/1 or more
  • Who was that mouth over on the Stage 9 thread saying Contador had no form :oops:

Race of Truth indeed.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    dsoutar wrote:
    Incidentally, whilst we're on that subject, when did AC last have a really bad day (crashes and / or mechanicals excluded) ? I can't remember one off the top of my head but as the unofficial ACFC general secretary you of all people ought to know. Just curious tbh

Not the expert, but I think he some bad days at the tour last year. He's looked very consistent this year though.
  • dsoutar wrote:
    We have hardly touched the mountains yet (there are 6 to come). Anything can happen.

Would be great if it did but I can't remember when AC last had a bad day and the other contenders aren't going to pull back that much time

Paris Nice (09 I think) stands out for me
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    dsoutar wrote:

Well, he got solidly beaten at last year's Tour if that counts. Before that I think he had a bad day on the last mountain stage of the 2012 Vuelta if I remember correctly.

Quite sad for the race. I haven't seen any highlights of the stage yet, did Quintana crash/have a mechanical? If not then that is a really poor TT to lose 3:30 on Contador and 2:00 to J Rod on that course.

I was hoping there would be about 1 minute between Contador and Quintana which would have set the rest of the race up brilliantly. 3:25 is a bit too much to ask. Contador's to lose now.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2014
    Milton50 wrote:
    I haven't seen any highlights of the stage yet, did Quintana crash/have a mechanical?
    bqi68.gif
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Ouch. So the Tour and the Vuelta have both been significantly affected by crashes unfortunately.
  • How well can saxo hold up vs the whole rest of the peloton for two weeks? They have a good cushion. I suspect another feast for the breakaway nobodies and AC the hold on comfortably in the mountains. Movi can do a Quintana Valverde 1 -2 combo on him a few times though.

That's assuming: a) Quintana's crash hasn't injured him to any great extent. Not something I would bet on, personally.
    b) Valverde will "require" it. Possibly, but not a certainty. Depends whether he feels he's got the form to unseat a "flying" Contador.

In any case, with Quintana being so far down on GC, it's not the major potential threat it was prior to this ITT.

I believe that Contador could win this GT in the same manner as Nibali at Le Tour, if he wishes.
    If he doesn't as I suspect, we'll get a series of 1km of action on most, if not all of the mountain stages.

Update:
    Quintana has injured his ankle and says he'll try to help Valverde to finish on the podium now.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.