Ride London 2015

Comments

• rogerv78
    rogerv78 Posts: 61
    This was my first century ride and have done quite a few sportives over the past few years, overall it was a great day and a great feeling riding 100 miles raising money for charity, even though I got in on the ballot and being able to do it on closed roads.

My start time was 8:15 and used the train service from richmond which for me worked really well, although they underestimated the time of the first train and we got to stratford at 6:20 instead of 6:53 so there was a bit of hanging around before my wave opened but it meant I wasnt rushing which I prefer anyway, it took me a while to find the pink start area as it wasnt signposted that well as you got to the olympic park and the marshall I asked didnt really have a clue.

My garmin moving time was 5:52 which I was really pleased with as I had put down a time of 7hrs when entering, although my official chip time was 6:57 as I was one of those stuck on leith hill for about 45 mins and I made a bad decision to stop at the hub at newlands corner for a quick pee stop, to pick up some more energy drink and hopefully some fig rolls, unfortunately I didnt realise it was a one way system that took me about 20-30 mins to navigate and get out only to discover there was no fig rolls left, so wont make that mistake again ! So on top of the leith hill wait and a couple of short stops for crashes it took my official time up to 7hrs

If I need to stop next time I will use the water stations which were a much quicker stop and for the loo too.

The keep left rule needs to be explained a bit more on the hills as the start of box hill nearly ground to a halt as there were slower people all over the road which made it diffcult to pass, otherwise I had a good run up box hill and got a pr and managed to stay on the bog ring all the way up, which pleased me alot as my body is not built for climbing as I could do with losing a few pounds and have been trying to get better on the hills, loved the decents though.

As I said at the start of this, overall a really good day and riding on closed roads and finishing on the mall, with the missus and kids there to meet me at the end means I will definitely enter it again for next year and if I do get in then I certainly wont be stopping at any of the hubs !!
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Surprising amount of negativity in some of the post ride comments.

Sure the event is a charity fundraiser, it's also a part of a weekend described as a festival of cycling. Something for everyone.

I'm not a racer but reasonably strong club rider, for me it was a rare opportunity to ride unhindered on iconic closed roads. Riding toward the front I thought the standard was pretty good, general club etiquette, it's not perfect but there's usually an error or two on a club ride so no different.

We passed a couple of crashes and there was one late on in our group. I rode the outside of most corners when the group was large, the one poor chap with us went down riding the inside of a 90 degree turn at speed, could happen to anyone in that position. You take your chances.

For me it was a fantastic day out and opportunity to push the boundaries a bit. I hoped to do it in 4.40 secretly keeping fingers crossed I'd crack 4.30. In the event I ended up doing 4.13 pretty comfortably, bonkers and a real eye opener to what's possible.

What's more the family really enjoyed coming up and watching the finish and then the start for the Pro's. Like I said, something for everyone.

Great day out, long may it carry on and no problem with any of the organization, not perfect but a big step up from that of any other sportive I've ridden.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed my RideLondon experience. It was my first sportive, the furthest I've cycled in a single outing (60miles being the longest previous)

I managed to drag my 22 stone ass around in 5 hours 52min, average speed of 17mph, max of 45mph. I've been training for approx 8 months (and have lost 8.5 stone in the process). In all seriousness I was genuinely surprised at how much faster than I was than a lot of other people less than half my size going up hills. I'm sure some people did a double take when they saw me spinning past them!! ;) Not once was I walking (apart from the unfortunate incident at the bottom of Leith hill.

I managed to raise £850 for Breast Cancer Care too! I've now got the sportive bug! I've set myself a target of continuing to lose weight and beat my 5 hour target for next year!
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I thoroughly enjoyed my RideLondon experience. It was my first sportive, the furthest I've cycled in a single outing (60miles being the longest previous)

I managed to drag my 22 stone ass around in 5 hours 52min, average speed of 17mph, max of 45mph. I've been training for approx 8 months (and have lost 8.5 stone in the process). In all seriousness I was genuinely surprised at how much faster than I was than a lot of other people less than half my size going up hills. I'm sure some people did a double take when they saw me spinning past them!! ;) Not once was I walking (apart from the unfortunate incident at the bottom of Leith hill.

I managed to raise £850 for Breast Cancer Care too! I've now got the sportive bug! I've set myself a target of continuing to lose weight and beat my 5 hour target for next year!
    Well done.

You took it seriously and got an excellent result. Kudos.

Paul
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Well done SlowishSte. Keep it up mate!
  • denkfaul
    denkfaul Posts: 39
    £17.99 for a single downloadable photo? Are they joking?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    35 for all of them though.

Annoyingly no one got my photo-sprint finish with some other random chap. I need to know who won!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    £17.99 for a single downloadable photo? Are they joking?

Think i'll buy the pack this year as a few photos look ok. I've got two bonus pics of someone else !!

The price of these are creeping up though, they used to be a good cheap memento, now it's just another way of making more money
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'll concede that they are taking advantage of the ride being a big deal for most people. It is a touch above what you'd expect to pay per image for races around here. The bundle is almost value for money if you like 4-5 shots. Mind I don't know what you'd want to do with them!

Most of the shooters on course will need to cover costs, fees taken by the website and pay off some of the 3k+ of camera gear needed.
  • Well done SlowishSte. Keep it up mate!

Yeah nice one mate - 17mph is a v respectable rate.
  • Well, early onset of a chest infection which thankfully held back until the 50 mile mark then I managed to just about keep it together for the rest of the route. Got held up on Leith, Box was a struggle (lack of oxygen) then pulled it back towards the last 10/15 miles once the fluid cleared off a bit. Felt horrendous the next day. Goal was to beat my 2013 average speed 17.3, managed to hit 18.4 mph which I’m really pleased with. Love the event, possibly my last one for a few years now. Gets expensive carting the family round London for the weekend not to mention the time it takes away from family to train for these things.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I thoroughly enjoyed my RideLondon experience. It was my first sportive, the furthest I've cycled in a single outing (60miles being the longest previous)

Well done.

You took it seriously and got an excellent result. Kudos.

Paul
    I echo that sentiment. Excellent.

• + 2

Exactly the sort of person this event should be aimed at. Well done SlowishSte
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457

+ 2

Exactly the sort of person this event should be aimed at. Well done SlowishSte

First 100 miler is a big deal for anyone but after the journey he's already been on doubly so. Keep up the progress mate.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    35 for all of them though.

In 2013 after a while they dropped the price too....
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    Entries for the 2016 event open today.

:roll:
  • Entries for the 2016 event open today.

:roll:
    Signed up ;)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    if this event is going to continue they need to start requiring signed medical certificates and BC membership. Whilst that wont stop the determined rock up and ride peeps it might make the more casual entrant think twice about their training and prep also sending out the odd email with the cycling equivalent of switch it off and on they should arrange regional ride London training camps, perhaps run by local clubs.

Way to make it serious and kill the event. Do you really think you'd get closed roads for a couple of thousand of club riders ?

Sounds like you want a more obscure sportive to do - there's dozens of those to choose from. Its casual entrants we want to events like this. Just like the London Marathon - theres plenty of space for serious and the have a go heroes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Never done this event mainly because of the faff involved in going down the day before for what would be a 4 hour something ride but people I ride with that have seem to have enjoyed it even the rainy one.

Are the start times seeded in any way and if so how? If I did do it I'd want a clear run and I've always seen this as more of a fun mass participation event though clearly some are averaging decent speeds if they can get round inside 4 hours.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Well, I've had a couple of weeks on hols to think about this, and a couple of thoughts:
    - Event generally very well run but feed stations running out of food is unforgiveable
    - Riding generally fine but some poor examples - numpties crawling down hills whilst blocking the road and far too many people bailing out on Box hill without really trying. Some shocking riding by 'fast' riders as well, bullying their way through
    - Lovely atmosphere
    - 25k is too many people - some parts of the course stupidly busy

However, I'd do it again!

Sympathy to all those who knew the rider on Leith Hill

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Never done this event mainly because of the faff involved in going down the day before for what would be a 4 hour something ride but people I ride with that have seem to have enjoyed it even the rainy one.

Are the start times seeded in any way and if so how? If I did do it I'd want a clear run and I've always seen this as more of a fun mass participation event though clearly some are averaging decent speeds if they can get round inside 4 hours.

Usually on these things they aim to set the fastest riders off at the beginning, so that everyone doesn't all rock up at the finish at the same time.

Having said that, I hear that the ballot selection is aimed at achieving a better balanced selection of riders, so if you're a medium-fast, male, middle-aged dentist then you might struggle to get in.

It was fun when I did it last year but I would not do it again - got my eye on LEL now!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Did anyone stay in London before the ride?
    Are there any bike friendly hotels that are prepared to lay on an early breakfast for participants?

I heard some people at the start saying their hotel had put on a massive early spread especially for them, so definitely exist. TBH the 10 mile ride to the start was a nice warm up so don't feel obliged to stay RIGHT by the start.

That'll be the Mandarin Oriental!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I've let my place for this year go but reapplied for 2016 I'll be amazed if I get it as I've been successfully every year so far.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I might apply but am confused about how the donation thing works... (sorry its the first day back of the year!)

Do you pay that regardless of whether you get in?
  • I might apply but am confused about how the donation thing works... (sorry its the first day back of the year!)

Do you pay that regardless of whether you get in?
    Correct. But you do get entered into the second ballot, which can work. Thats how I got in for 2015.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Evans Cycles are the new official clothing partner instead of wiggle.

Endura kit should be pretty good.
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    When are we likely to find out if our ballot was successful? I know the official website reckons by the end of Feb, but wasn't it around this time last year that people found out?
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    Cliveyp wrote:
    When are we likely to find out if our ballot was successful? I know the official website reckons by the end of Feb, but wasn't it around this time last year that people found out?

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=13036328

:D
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Cliveyp wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=13036328

:D

Completely missed that thread! Thanks!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold