Ride London 2015

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Were there loads of people with TT bars again this year?

Didn't read the rules this year since I wasn't riding it, but TT bars were banned both the previous years but there was no enforcement.

I spotted quite a few for sure (I was spectating and not riding) and quite a lot of non-entrants on the course (in fact, I rode back from seeing my wife off at Stratford to Sheen and as I came through Putney, there was a couple of riders and I thought that they hadn't chosen the best day to head out into the hills. Got to the corner in Sheen where you turn up and into Richmond Park and they were on the course riding up the hill).

However, I was pleased to see more people on hybrids and people not wearing lycra, that along with those in costumes is what the ride needs to be about, and less about people that ride 100 miles each and every weekend.

I was in Kingston when the tail-enders were coming through - more smiles and more fun was being had than when I saw the front end of things.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    If there are too many idiots looking for every last second in preference to getting around in one piece, it can put other people in danger too and the organisers should take some action.
    What action would you think is practical?

Unfortunately, as I've said before, they can't even be arsed to do the trivially easy bit of enforcement that really is practical, which is to prevent people from starting if they have TT bars.

Good luck getting any improvement in people's selfish behaviour.
    If a small minority can't be trusted to ride safely on hills they may need to consider taking them out of the route, as they did last year when the descents were deemed too dangerous because of the weather. I don't care if some reckless idiot slams into a tree, but if he takes me (or another innocent rider) with him I'll be more than mildly annoyed.

I saw only one bike with TT bars and the guy wasn't using them, but I agree he shouldn't have been allowed to start. Nor should anyone wearing knee-length socks. :wink: But which volunteer marshal wants to pick a fight with a 15-stone triathlete?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Quite a few TT bars. The event regulations clearly stated they were banned and so those muppets should have been banned from starting.

I think it should also be made clearer in the ride literature that slower climbers should stay to the left so faster climbers can pass to the right, though it's not difficult to call out 'Coming Right!'

I'm also amazed at closed road rides how reluctant people are to use the right hand carriageway!
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    If a small minority can't be trusted to ride safely on hills they may need to consider taking them out of the route, as they did last year when the descents were deemed too dangerous because of the weather.
    If the hills weren't in it it would be pretty shite though, as a route.

Last year I had an 85 mile training route that took in Newlands, Leith, White Down and Box, which I did a couple of times before RL100.

When they took out the hills last year, the only thing left of any interest was the rain. 86 flat miles (well, apart from Newlands Corner), it was pretty easy, even for Sergeant Snail, here.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    As regards safety, unfortunately you have to rely on people's commen sense, and some have more than others.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    That list is incomplete: I know two people who were among the later finishers and aren't included. The RL website also says more than 25,000 finished.

Still, under 4 hours for the "winner" is very impressive!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    If a small minority can't be trusted to ride safely on hills they may need to consider taking them out of the route, as they did last year when the descents were deemed too dangerous because of the weather.

Last year I had an 85 mile training route that took in Newlands, Leith, White Down and Box, which I did a couple of times before RL100.

When they took out the hills last year, the only thing left of any interest was the rain. 86 flat miles (well, apart from Newlands Corner), it was pretty easy, even for Sergeant Snail, here.

This is a fundraising event and I am not quite sure why there is so much interest from cyclists who consider themselves serious or competitive. I have never had any desire to ride the London 100. There is no shortage of sportives with challenging courses for those who want to challenge themselves. It is sad to see stunning events like the Polka Dot challenge or The Autumn Epic disappear for lack of interest and at the same time a hoard of "fast boys" competing in Strava races in this "turd" of a ride designed to give first timer a chance to do 100 miles for charity. Horses for courses, but there is a healthy racing scene for those who like to average 25 mph. I really don't get it, honest... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's not just a fundraising event. It's a challenge. It's not often (once per annum to be precise in Surrey) that you get the opportunity to spank it round at full chat with your clubmates on closed roads.

Crits are a bit sketchy, road races generally aren't closed, and for many people this is on your doorstep, so why not?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

This is a fundraising event and I am not quite sure why there is so much interest from cyclists who consider themselves serious or competitive. I have never had any desire to ride the London 100. There is no shortage of sportives with challenging courses for those who want to challenge themselves. It is sad to see stunning events like the Polka Dot challenge or The Autumn Epic disappear for lack of interest and at the same time a hoard of "fast boys" competing in Strava races in this "turd" of a ride designed to give first timer a chance to do 100 miles for charity. Horses for courses, but there is a healthy racing scene for those who like to average 25 mph. I really don't get it, honest... :roll:

Ride the roads you normally ride but without traffic lights or cars. Simple really! You'll find most of the people do race too but the routes aren't quite so iconic are they? I didn't get it either until doing it.

I also don't get everyone thinking that their type of fun is more fun than others peoples type of fun.
    The event seems to do a good job whether you want to chew on your stem or ride around on a Brompton dressed as Mary poppins. Naturally this forum widely attracts the view of the former so you'd think this was the main aim of the event when it's not.. but it seems to work for both groups and all those in-between.
  • ugo.santalucia
    It is interesting, because I know both Ipete and Coriordan and I know this is pretty much the only mass event they do.
    Yes, I am biased, but I have done events with over 10,000 people, up to 20,000 in fact and they are not for me, which is the reason I have no desire to ride the London 100. I challenge you to try something a bit more rewarding, like the Fred Whitton or the Etape du Dales or The Tour of The Peak or similar, where you might find a more realistic challenge for someone of your level of fitness... :wink:
  • Anonymous
    I do others (new forest, wiggle ups and downs, box hill classic, hell of the ashdown). Mainly because I am bollox at route creating. HOTA I'll continue to do as it's cheap and for charity only but I only want to ride this for it's closed roads appeal

I'll agree I should do more but I don't have a car and forking out for travel and accommodation isn't on my radar just yet.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I do others (new forest, wiggle ups and downs, box hill classic, hell of the ashdown). Mainly because I am bollox at route creating. HOTA I'll continue to do as it's cheap and for charity only but I only want to ride this for it's closed roads appeal

I'll agree I should do more but I don't have a car and forking out for travel and accommodation isn't on my radar just yet.

Among those, none is really challenging for you. I do appreciate that not having a car becomes an issue if you want to tackle the events in the north.
    The difference is quite staggering though, both in terms of the challenge you face and in terms of the level of participation. If you are in the top quarter of finishers in an event in the south, you might well find yourself in the bottom half in one up in the north
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I largely agree with where you are coming from but cost and convenience also play a big part; the entry is high but it costs nothing beyond that. I have other priorities at the moment and will get to these events and some Alpine ones eventually! Hopefully before the fitness fades :lol:

I also wouldn't enter the event on its own, the fact our club gets team entries plays a massive part in going back for more.
  • Anonymous
    Ugo - I can tell you that HoTA is no walk in the park. The other ones are because they are local and I like to ride my bike, and I only started cycling after I moved to London so good to have some routes near my home in Burley.

RL100 isn't a challenge in itself (distance nor elevation wise) but at that pace, it definitely was!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I sincerely believe most people on the forum are not racers nor Brompton jokesters but are in between - folks with nice bikes but who don't necessarily race so maybe haven't fully taken a bike to its and their limit.

I don't think going downhill at 80 km/h as I did yesterday is dangerous in absolute terms. I depends how many jokers are around you and how good they are. Your life is in their hands and vice-versa. When those around you are Cat 1 -2 racers you're in good hands. (apart from those tri guys of natch)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • ugo.santalucia

RL100 isn't a challenge in itself (distance nor elevation wise) but at that pace, it definitely was!

Ultimately it is down to which scenario you like best... the big fish in a small pond, where you have the confidence and you can hammer 100% all the way or the small fish in the big pond, where you aren't quite sure if you are up for it or it's too big for you.

Last spring we did Gent-Wevelgem... it was windy, cold and rainy so we went for the 140 Km option instead of the 215 Km... which in essence is a windy stroll with a couple of cobbled bumps... I did enjoy it, but I wouldn't bother doing it again... not much point... by lunchtime is all over and you wonder what to do for the rest of the day
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Happy with top 50 on the unofficial results board!
  • ugo.santalucia

I don't think going downhill at 80 km/h as I did yesterday is dangerous in absolute terms. I depends how many jokers are around you and how good they are. Your life is in their hands and vice-versa. When those around you are Cat 1 -2 racers you're in good hands. (apart from those tri guys of natch)

I completely agree with the guy above... I think you got it all wrong... :?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Nice work Pete. Saw a few KW out but can't remember what you look like (although spotted you a few times on URR commuting home as I'm in mortlake now).

Friend of mine did 3.59.11. Solid

tetm? we had a chat after Box, he recognised my bike, was looking much fresher than me. I'm guessing he started in a later wave and caught us up to get that time! Finished in the same bunch.

3.59.01 was the official time, good for 15th fastest on the day. Had started in the second wave and caught the first one after the descent of Newlands. After two weeks in the Alps perfecting getting aero on descents my Newlands Peak to Leith Hill Peak Strava segment was enough for 3rd overall. Pretty broken afterwards but a few recovery pints last night has made the head hurt rather than the legs.

Tragic news about the chap on Leith Hill though, condolences to the family.

Good to have a chat Pete, if you weren't fresh you were good at hiding it!

Nice work fella :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    It is interesting, because I know both Ipete and Coriordan and I know this is pretty much the only mass event they do.
    Yes, I am biased, but I have done events with over 10,000 people, up to 20,000 in fact and they are not for me, which is the reason I have no desire to ride the London 100. I challenge you to try something a bit more rewarding, like the Fred Whitton or the Etape du Dales or The Tour of The Peak or similar, where you might find a more realistic challenge for someone of your level of fitness... :wink:

The Ride London was brilliant, no cars, closed roads loads of cyclists, what's not to like. The quicker cyclists in yesterdays ride would have no problem riding something like the Fred Whitton. Riding a flatish 100 mile route very fast can be just as hard as a slower hilly 100.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    ok seeing as I asked this.

Improvements for next year

1) Better routes to the start. Our official route took us onto the course, which as it had started meant our route was shut with no marshal having any clue where to send us. Previous two years we had a different route, if only I could have remembered it properly. Found my way there in the end.
    2) No need to register at the Excel, i'll happily pay more to have this sent to me.
    3) Better signs for turns, corners etc. A few times we had the caution but one time there was an S bend that was unsighted, if I had seen a sign for that I would be prepared. The same for the 90 degree corner I could see round that became a hairpin, again a better sign and I would have braked more in advance. Luckily i'm no speed merchant so was ok both times.
    4) An official route back to the official car parks. There are signs on non closed route to take you to the courier drop off point so why not an official route back on normal roads back to my car park. Itr's very a much case of you've finished bye, makes the final memory of the event not a good one. When I got back to the start the morning signs were still up, so they could have done this.

other than that a very good event and one I will enter again
  • Yost
    Yost Posts: 56
    Well I for one thoroughly enjoyed the experience, although for me it was about the challenge of completing my first ever century and climbing some hills, which we don't tend to have in East Anglia. As it turned out, I completed it pretty comfortably, increased my usual average speed from 16-17mph up to around 19, and discovered that climbing might be my thing, probably as I weigh next to nothing (although I appreciate they probably aren't the toughest of climbs). Only hairy bits were the descents which I wasn't comfortable with, so I kept left and took it easy. Will definitely enter again next year.
    As others have said, sad news that someone lost their life doing this, and I hope the various people I saw receiving treatment were not too badly injured.
  • Really enjoyed it, first time I've done it and would enter again. My main bugbear is one that rears its ugly head on most rides of this nature, could someone please explain how so many people are unable to put a empty gel wrapper into a rear pocket?
  • Dave60
    Dave60 Posts: 3
    Well I got round faster than I thought and really enjoyed it. Started quite late at 8:18 and found it very busy until after box hill when it opened up and found a good rhythm so a for a first effort I managed 5.50 but we had to stop for a few downed riders and miss Lieth hill for the bad accident.
    I will enter the ballot for next year and hope for a slightly earlier start time but well worth it to ride the closed roads for me.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Really enjoyed it, first time I've done it and would enter again. My main bugbear is one that rears its ugly head on most rides of this nature, could someone please explain how so many people are unable to put a empty gel wrapper into a rear pocket?

Good point, I noticed that too.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Why did I do it?

Wanted the chance to blast through closed roads I know without a care for traffic and loved every second of it, plus I raised about £750 for charity which has given me a nice warm feeling inside.

As for improvements, going to Excel is a massive PITA but I guess it is a money-making event with the bike show being there, so no chance they'll save us that hassle. Leith Hill was a mess, too many people on too narrow a road so I do think they need to consider whether it is safe enough for that volume of people.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I was taken out along with about 5 or 6 others in the first group by a bellend taking a selfie near Hammersmith. This was early on there had already been a pile up in the tunnel and another one going through Holborne. Survived the pile up although i had a hole in my shorts now - fortunately not as bad as Peraud in the tour a couple of weeks back but bad enough! I got going again quite quickly but it wasnt until after Richmond Park that i could finally get some more wheels to follow. The selfie taker was with some club mates each with black and red jerseys (i cant remember the name though) unfortunately I couldnt make it back to the front group to call him a c£&@ although the incentive of doing that made me keep pushing on and ended up breaking 4.15 which is what my goal had been so no use dwelling on it too much. Although still upset about ruining a new pair of shorts!
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    The Ride London was brilliant, no cars, closed roads loads of cyclists, what's not to like. The quicker cyclists in yesterdays ride would have no problem riding something like the Fred Whitton. Riding a flatish 100 mile route very fast can be just as hard as a slower hilly 100.

I completely agree with that last bit. Living in cornwall most rides include at least 1000ft of climbs so pushing around the flat at 20-25 killed me. Whereas a 100 down in cornwall I can easily manage.

Managed a 5.55 moving time according to garmin though. Although my official time is more as I had a few stops and got caught up on leith just before the closure. Seeing a guy laid out on the ground having cpr isn't a nice experience. But I'm happy. Would probably do it again but will have to try to find some flat roads to train on first.

Also box. That's hardly a hill more of a slight rolling incline. Got to the top and was still waiting for the hill to start.
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • Anonymous
    Haha indeed. Leith is the only hill. Cornwall and Dartmoor are pain unto themselves. Box is a pushover. Even Ditchling is tougher
  • I'll throw in some comments from the tail end. Started at 8.33 with a friend who is a fair bit slower than me, expecting to complete in around 7.5 hours. Could not believe how flat the first 20-30 miles was. We live in rolling South Warwickshire and often ride down to the Cotswolds averaging 14.5 -15mph, but here we were rolling along at an easy 18mph. We probably started a bit too late as from around 30 miles on, we were overtaking a lot of people, many of which were already looking tired.
    Fancied some food and stopped at the Hub at the top of Newlands, alarmed to hear a Marshall shouting 'there is no food at this Hub' which was true other than the very busy cafe selling burgers, hotdogs etc. Queued there for ages, got some slow fast food in then headed off. Not knowing any better, we went over the next climb and I wondered what all the fuss was about until we realised we had been diverted round Leith hill due the poor chap at the top.
    Enjoyed going up Box Hill, especially as I was blasting past everybody, including a number of walkers. On this hill, most slower moving people stayed over to the left and I could get past. In other places they were all over the road with quite a few wearing earphones! Unbelievable!
    After that it was a nice fast roll back into London, apart from some congestion in some town where we were all walking! Heard people talking about some major climb at Wimbledon but really struggled to notice it other than seeing more tired weary people walking up it!
    Stopped for water and wees a couple of times but never saw a single morsel of official food, was there any?
    All the support along the route and the last section past the London landmarks was fantastic. We rolled in at just over 8 hours with 6 hours moving time.
    Yes there were some dreadful littering, but it is not just us Brits as I did the Etape a fortnight ago and it was far worse.
    Well done to all you chaps proud of your circa 4 hour times, but I don't think this event is for you, or for me either for that matter. But full credit to some of those chunky lads and lasses who were dragging themselves around the course. I'm sure that for many it was the pinnacle of their cycling careers, having worked hard from a very low base level and probably raising hundred of pounds (I got a ballot place).
    My recommendations would be to maybe have a 70 mile option with less hills as per many sportives, issue a strict earphone ban and let Marshalls confiscate any they see, ditch the whole Excel idea as it is waste of time and effort, actually provide some food, have signs up reminding people to keep left unless overtaking. Go back to around 20,000 participants as I thought it was too busy in many places, especially given the number of relatively inexperienced cyclists the event attracts. And here's a contentious recommendation, ditch the pro race because really, does anybody care and it chivvies the slow people off the road when they should be given the chance to finish at a speed they can cope with.