Ride London 2015

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The quicker cyclists in yesterdays ride would have no problem riding something like the Fred Whitton. Riding a flatish 100 mile route very fast can be just as hard as a slower hilly 100.

I completely agree with that last bit.

I do and I don't.

While going fast on the flat for a long time certainly requires alot of strength, it's not the same as climbing, especially in the Lakes of all places.

I climb ok, but can barely hang onto a wheel on the flat. Yet I have friends (who's wheel's I can't hold) that go like trains on the flat and fall to bits at the slightest ramp.

I've done RL100 twice and don't consider the course to be that challenging, but my times are pretty unremarkable as a result of struggling to stay in a group.
  • Really enjoyed it, first time I've done it and would enter again. My main bugbear is one that rears its ugly head on most rides of this nature, could someone please explain how so many people are unable to put a empty gel wrapper into a rear pocket?

Yes not great - but do remember that at the points where they were giving out gels there was a permitted 'dropping zone' for a few hundred yards afterwards.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Compared to some rides, I didn't think the littering was too bad. Maybe it got worse later. The only person I witnessed deliberately throwing something away was a triathlete. I saw quite a few folded gel wrappers and some unused ones, suggesting they'd fallen from people's pockets. A guy in front of me lost an energy bar taking something else out of his jersey early on. It's easily done.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I think the event needs more hills to break it up more, the front pack was too large IMO, would have liked it up be more selective, even if that meant me being selected out, I don't care, that's not the point. I just like tougher courses.

Agree that schlepping out to Excel sucks. As does starting at Olympic Park - this legacy malarkey does have it's limits. I don't live anywhere near the East and don't care that estate agents and Boris think it's 'up and coming' leave it to the buy-to-let investors. I'd rather start on the Mall.

Having done 2013 and this year I think I'm done with it. Too much other stuff. Next objective is the OetztalerRadMarathon at the end of August.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    I think that the Boris 100 has a number of aims.

For legacy - it's surely that there are now thousands of people (like me) who are entering sportives instead of being couch potatoes. And it's not just about the big day - each year, in the months before the event, I've met others pounding around their/my training routes to hone themselves as far as they are able for the big day. And it is a big day for many - when I did this event in 2013, I had never cycled 100 miles in a day and genuinely didn't know if I could do it.

For charity - this and the Marathon are big events. Millions are raised each year by those who didn't get ballot places. Even some of those who got ballot places still use the event as a vehicle to raise money for deserving causes.

For pleasure - riding through London and Surrey streets devoid even of parked vehicles is a rare pleasure. For those of us for whom this event is a real challenge, the retrospective on the day will be a memory I treasure for the rest of my life.

Of course there are some odd niggles - Excel and start locations maybe; the course being too long/short/hilly/flat/whatever - but if the sum of the niggles outweighs the sum of the rest, then you look for other outlets for your energy.

Hugh Brasher and his team must know that they can't please all of the people all of the time, but, IMHO, where they pitched the compromise was spot-on.
  • Yost
    Yost Posts: 56
    I think that the Boris 100 has a number of aims.

For legacy - it's surely that there are now thousands of people (like me) who are entering sportives instead of being couch potatoes. And it's not just about the big day - each year, in the months before the event, I've met others pounding around their/my training routes to hone themselves as far as they are able for the big day. And it is a big day for many - when I did this event in 2013, I had never cycled 100 miles in a day and genuinely didn't know if I could do it.

For charity - this and the Marathon are big events. Millions are raised each year by those who didn't get ballot places. Even some of those who got ballot places still use the event as a vehicle to raise money for deserving causes.

For pleasure - riding through London and Surrey streets devoid even of parked vehicles is a rare pleasure. For those of us for whom this event is a real challenge, the retrospective on the day will be a memory I treasure for the rest of my life.

Of course there are some odd niggles - Excel and start locations maybe; the course being too long/short/hilly/flat/whatever - but if the sum of the niggles outweighs the sum of the rest, then you look for other outlets for your energy.

Hugh Brasher and his team must know that they can't please all of the people all of the time, but, IMHO, where they pitched the compromise was spot-on.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Maybe if I were someone who does regular 100 milers or can get around in 4 hours I might feel differently, but then I would probably do Ride London once and then move onto something more challenging. However, for a century first-timer like me, I have to say that it was pretty much perfect considering the scale of the event.
  • Did anyone stay in London before the ride?
    Are there any bike friendly hotels that are prepared to lay on an early breakfast for participants?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

RL100 isn't a challenge in itself (distance nor elevation wise) but at that pace, it definitely was!

Ultimately it is down to which scenario you like best... the big fish in a small pond, where you have the confidence and you can hammer 100% all the way or the small fish in the big pond, where you aren't quite sure if you are up for it or it's too big for you.

Last spring we did Gent-Wevelgem... it was windy, cold and rainy so we went for the 140 Km option instead of the 215 Km... which in essence is a windy stroll with a couple of cobbled bumps... I did enjoy it, but I wouldn't bother doing it again... not much point... by lunchtime is all over and you wonder what to do for the rest of the day

I have to ask - why do you ride your bike?!

I was entered for this years RL100 - couldn't make it due to extreme fatigue and couldn't be arsed to drag myself up to London for a weekend - would've been different had I not just started training my leadout man (might be a few years before he's ready) ... but having ridden closed road events before and loved that "no cars to worry about" feeling I would've liked to have done this one.
    I'm not going to worry about entering this for the forseable as I have other priorities now - but there's always the slight pull ...

As for "it's not a challenge" ... well, that depends how you ride it - if you want to push yourself then riding a mile down the road can be a challenge - so 100 miles can easily be a challenge - or not ...

I have got the NF 100 coming up in September - that'll be a challenge as I've not ridden any distance for 2 months - but eitherwhichway I'll have some fun riding it with friends - and that's the point really - it's just an organised ride with friends ...
  • Did anyone stay in London before the ride?
    Are there any bike friendly hotels that are prepared to lay on an early breakfast for participants?

Ibis Budget at London City Airport (< 1 km from Excel, 5 miles from start), put on brekkie from 4:30
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ...my thoughts from the middle of the field...7am start, yellow D, 6.15 Strava time, 6.45 chip time....loved every minute of it...I loved the reaction of the various cyclist round me "new" to London as we passed the various landmarks, ...Richmond Park...big, isn't it?..."Charity Corner" at Kingston out and back, what a brilliant atmosphere, genuinely uplifting and emotional - you maybe miss that at 25mph ;-) - so many River Thamess'...must have crossed half a dozen of them ;-)
    ...had to check a few times on Leith Hill, but no big deal...Box Hill was better, could spin up at my own pace and what a stunningly pretty view both up and down...maybe just got lucky, but not many crazy folks up and down the hills - a smattering of walkers but keeping pretty much left as instructed or even driven by common sense!
    Surprised to hear they ran out of food for the later starters, no problems for our wave, but they have to address that for sure..
    ...no dramas, no punctures, no mechanicals...just a great day on the bike!

Couple of tips.....parking....had booked the O2 but stupidly missed our turn-off and ended up heading north in the Blackwall Tunnel with no easy option to get back south....ended up parking in a residents area in Mile End where its unrestricted on Sunday. Wouldn't want to depend on it, but nice to have it as a plan B.
    Getting back to the car parks.... if you don't want to cycle, jump on a tube....District and Circle lines are unrestricted on Sunday for all bikes, as is most of the DLR, though not the one that goes south to the O2 (you can get pretty close, though).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Did anyone stay in London before the ride?

I heard some people at the start saying their hotel had put on a massive early spread especially for them, so definitely exist. TBH the 10 mile ride to the start was a nice warm up so don't feel obliged to stay RIGHT by the start.
  • My first post here.
    This was my second Ride London. Quite a contrast from last years downpour! Last year it was head down ignore the bad weather and get the job done, stayed uptown near Leytonstowe B&B with an early 6.42 start. Wasn't sure what to expect this time round as I was last out the trap at 8.54. Completely different scenario:

I normally cycle around an average of 17-21mph/27-33kpm so wanted to do the ton in a similar pace but at the same time enjoying and encouraging fellow cyclists round. It was very difficult to begin with as the sheer volume of cyclists though I managed to pass quite a few at times I had to remain patient and only pass people when the space enabled me to. I'm sure there were plenty of riders who hadn't trained whatsoever for the event and were struggling even on the smallish bump in Richmond Park I didn't notice this so much last year leaving earlier. Lots of people were getting off at water stations with no regard to riders behind trying to go past which was a bit disappointing to see especially for those that have put in the hours training for it. Sorry again to hear another heart attack on one of the hills RIP Stephen Green :cry:http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=StepGreen&d-49489-p=4 .

Have to say the volunteers and encouragement from the sides was superb. Really enjoyed the ride but would prefer an earlier start time if I'm fortunate to ride this again. Lots of things being dropped on the road not only Gel wrappers but full and empty water bottles (more by accident than on purpose i think), inner tubes and clothing, and other cycling gumpf. I tuck empty gel wrappers into the back of my shorts so they don't fall out of pockets inadvertently. As for food five Oatso simple bars did the trick for me so i didn't have any of the stuff at stops.
    I think Ride London is pretty well organised and caters for all types of abilities, just hope those that take part as new sportive riders in the future train for it at the very least and i'd suggest RideLondon to encourage people to ride in small groups prior to events too as i think some were a little overwhelmed by joining local clubs.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Most items were dropped by accident, at least I assume the Oakley Jawbones someone I was riding with ran over must have been :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Premiere Inn Stratford is bike friendly and had breakfast from 4am last year and the year before, but I think it was 5am continental and 6am cooked this year which is a bit of a worry for next year!
  • pmcclure
    pmcclure Posts: 36

Stayed at Travelodge in Docklands. Breakfast was served from 4:45 but it comprised of:

Tea/Coffee
    Toast
    Cereal
    Crossaints
    Juice

Cant remember the exact price, but it was over £7. Really disappointed.
  • Last year i stayed in a Guest house and just had porridge in the morning, bimbled to Stratford a few miles away eating a Bagel on route
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Most items were dropped by accident, at least I assume the Oakley Jawbones someone I was riding with ran over must have been :lol:

Saw some rider running back down the road to pick up his sunglasses! Managed to avoid him!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    More I think of it, 25,000 is too many people for some of the pinch points on the route. Either that or the starts need to be spread out more, which may be a problem because of the need to be off the route in time for the pro race.

Or maybe they have the pro race a bit later.
  • saftlad
    saftlad Posts: 49

Premier Inn at Beckton didn't do anything. Offered to pack me a box the night before with muffin/croissant/yoghurt but that was it. I just made sure I took two of everything on Saturday morning and put some in sealed bags.

Easy ride to the start along the Greenway - 4 miles of traffic free easy riding
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    More I think of it, 25,000 is too many people for some of the pinch points on the route. Either that or the starts need to be spread out more, which may be a problem because of the need to be off the route in time for the pro race.

Or maybe they have the pro race a bit later.

You may find this interesting..
    Brasher and his team take the issue of overcrowding very seriously. They will spend the next few months crunching data from riders’ timing chips, seeing how many cyclists per hour passed various points of various widths, and if more can be safely accommodated.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2015/aug/03/five-thoughts-on-2015s-sunny-packed-exhausting-ride-london-100
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    if this event is going to continue they need to start requiring signed medical certificates and BC membership. Whilst that wont stop the determined rock up and ride peeps it might make the more casual entrant think twice about their training and prep also sending out the odd email with the cycling equivalent of switch it off and on they should arrange regional ride London training camps, perhaps run by local clubs.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • if this event is going to continue they need to start requiring signed medical certificates and BC membership. Whilst that wont stop the determined rock up and ride peeps it might make the more casual entrant think twice about their training and prep also sending out the odd email with the cycling equivalent of switch it off and on they should arrange regional ride London training camps, perhaps run by local clubs.
    A lot easier to pull people out who walk up Sawyers. Anybody walking on the way up to Leith could be forced to detour.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    hmmm true but i suspect that most people could get up albeit slowly. If you consider events like the Amstel Gold where the Dutch entrants didnt even attempt the climbs and on mass unclipped before then start walking blocking the road for everyone else.

I can tell you now I used every swear word in my extensive library :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    if this event is going to continue they need to start requiring signed medical certificates and BC membership. Whilst that wont stop the determined rock up and ride peeps it might make the more casual entrant think twice about their training and prep also sending out the odd email with the cycling equivalent of switch it off and on they should arrange regional ride London training camps, perhaps run by local clubs.
    It's a charity fund raising ride open to all. If they did what you suggest it would be open to a few thousand at most which wouldn't justify the organising expense nor closing the roads.

Imagine if everyone doing the London marathon had to be sub 3 hours
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    A lot easier to pull people out who walk up Sawyers. Anybody walking on the way up to Leith could be forced to detour.

Olympic legacy and all that. Inspiring a generation or whatever.

Who gives a crap if people walk the hills? As long as they get around in the 8 hours or whatever the cut off is. It isn't a race.

I would rather see people for whom this really is a step into the unknown achieve the distance and could not care less if they walk hills. People for whom 100 miles is not a big deal are not where this ride should be primarily aimed at, but those who haven't ridden a bike since they were a kid, spend too much time on the sofa and too much money at the fast food outlets - they are the ones that should be encouraged to ride the event.
  • saftlad
    saftlad Posts: 49

Who gives a crap if people walk the hills? As long as they get around in the 8 hours or whatever the cut off is. It isn't a race.

I would rather see people for whom this really is a step into the unknown achieve the distance and could not care less if they walk hills. People for whom 100 miles is not a big deal are not where this ride should be primarily aimed at, but those who haven't ridden a bike since they were a kid, spend too much time on the sofa and too much money at the fast food outlets - they are the ones that should be encouraged to ride the event.

Yep, this is more my way of thinking. I don't care who was first over the line, that's only applicable to those who want to treat it as a race, which all the literature says this isn't.

Having a range of distances might encourage more to ride, possibly more within (or slightly outside) their limitations. There are already a number of touch-points on the route, eg Kingston where those going and coming back pass each other, so no extra road closures needed. There's also the possibility of points along the route where it may be possible to create a turning point eg West Horsley to Leatherhead to miss out all the hills, or Gomshall to miss Leith etc. Perhaps they are already considering this.

Only problem I can see with this is the fast guys coming past those doing a shorter route much closer to the finish.

All in all, I had a good day out and I'm glad I did it. There seemed to be two extremes in this though that didn't give due consideration to others.

The super fast guys for whom the best possible time is what they want. They are used to riding with others of the same calibre so when they come across someone who has no (or little) experience, who doesn't take the expected line through a corner for example, there's a coming together. Just give people time and space and everyone will have a good time.

Equally those on the other end of the spectrum. Please just use the normal rule of the road and keep left when possible, after all we have the whole road. Try and ride in a straight line where you can and don't zigzag across the road.

And to everyone, before going for a gap, please check behind that there isn't someone coming up going for the same gap. This isn't a pro-peloton where everyone is fighting for position.
  • if this event is going to continue they need to start requiring signed medical certificates and BC membership. Whilst that wont stop the determined rock up and ride peeps it might make the more casual entrant think twice about their training and prep also sending out the odd email with the cycling equivalent of switch it off and on they should arrange regional ride London training camps, perhaps run by local clubs.

Spot on.

I'm glad this year got the good weather. I did the first one and it was sunny, great fun and well organised. Glad I never went last year though ;-)
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    [Try and ride in a straight line where you can and don't zigzag across the road.

And to everyone, before going for a gap, please check behind that there isn't someone coming up going for the same gap. This isn't a pro-peloton where everyone is fighting for position.

From my experiences last year these are the two biggest points for me.

Obviously, there was no Leith or Box hill last year but zig zagging is similar to walking in the middle and causes havoc for those behind.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Having a range of distances might encourage more to ride, possibly more within (or slightly outside) their limitations. There are already a number of touch-points on the route, eg Kingston where those going and coming back pass each other, so no extra road closures needed. There's also the possibility of points along the route where it may be possible to create a turning point eg West Horsley to Leatherhead to miss out all the hills, or Gomshall to miss Leith etc. Perhaps they are already considering this.

Only problem I can see with this is the fast guys coming past those doing a shorter route much closer to the finish.

It might be the only problem but it is a pretty big one and would be carnage considering the numbers involved.

The Pedal for Scotland isnt as big as Ride London with about 10-15000 riders and has a 100 mile sportive, a 50 mile challenge and a 10 mile fun ride all with the same finish. The 100 and 50 mile work ok together as the routes only merge right at the end however the 10 mile shares all of its route with the last bit of the 50. It's a nightmare.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    was great fun and for a while i headed up Blue A and did a pull on the front for a bit,while knowing that i had a virus and wouldn't be able to stay with the lead bunch for more than 2 hours max. that was justified as my body slowly fell apart up the hills and it was like someone slowmo-ing their way up the hills in comparison to what i'd normally do. recovered a bit in leatherhead but should have taken more fluids on.

Good stuff - getting round despite not being well, the crowds and support for my club and me personally ( 3 friends were on the course and my dad!)
    Bad stuff - selfie w***kers, poor bike handlers and triathletes who had no spatial awareness. also the death up Leith hill.

as omar little stated earlier there was a crash involving a selfie. i mean really...