Ride London 2015

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's a strava segment especially. For box hill as well
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    4.02 today, it was hard work staying in the front bunch after the Leith Hill shake down!

Comedy moment (amongst many) when 2 cars got on the route and decided to drive away at 30mph, slower than we were travelling, they got a large amount of abuse directed at them!

Brett here are todays segment challenges..
    https://www.strava.com/challenges/LeithHill15
    https://www.strava.com/challenges/BoxHill15
  • Anonymous
    Nice work Pete. Saw a few KW out but can't remember what you look like (although spotted you a few times on URR commuting home as I'm in mortlake now).

Friend of mine did 3.59.11. Solid
  • iPete
    Nice work Pete. Saw a few KW out but can't remember what you look like (although spotted you a few times on URR commuting home as I'm in mortlake now).

tetm? we had a chat after Box, he recognised my bike, was looking much fresher than me. I'm guessing he started in a later wave and caught us up to get that time! Finished in the same bunch.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I'm a slow rider but for me I pushed the first 40 and covered them in 2 hours. Never run that sort of pace. Did a pb on new lands then it caught up with me and pace really dropped. Beat my 2013 time by 15 mins in the end so pleased with that.

Never really got in a group so once again I soloed it.

Hope everyone who was injured is ok and massive thanks to the volunteers and the public for cheering us on.

Really think they need a signposted route back to the official car parks. Not on closed roads but they still have all the start signs up so I'm sure it's possible just seems they can't be bothered
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Blimey, that's really sad news about the guy on Leith Hill. Anyone know what time this was? According to the GPS, I hit Leith Hill around 10:20 and it was fine, a bit tight as expected, but trundled up at a decent pace no problems. Much better than the walk-fest at the RVV sportive every year.

Personally, I had a great day. Nailed it round without stopping in 4:51, the weather was awesome and I thought the general level of riding competency wasn't *too* atrocious. I probably wouldn't do it again any time soon because I cycle there all the time (for free) but it was a great day out and I'd definitely recommend it.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    4.02 today, it was hard work staying in the front bunch after the Leith Hill shake down!

Comedy moment (amongst many) when 2 cars got on the route and decided to drive away at 30mph, slower than we were travelling, they got a large amount of abuse directed at them!

Wow, congratulations on a great time.

Thanks on the challenges. Had seen the Box Hill one, but not the Leith One.

I was asking, as I remember that someone filtered all the results in 2013 and hosted them on Google Docs so people could see unofficially how they stacked up against all the riders for the whole ride. I did a 4:51 on the official time (picked the wrong water queue to fill up to go under 4:50), happy though as I achieved my goal of a sub 5 hour :)

and as always very sad to hear about potential circumstances. My thoughts go out to him and all the other people who I saw being tended.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    There seemed to be a lot of casualties before we even got to the hills which is odd as they were on the wide open roads of London.

I can only assume it was bikes coming together but there was generally only one person injured so I'm not sure.

Saw at least one person that had hit 'spectator' crossing the road towards the end. Must be gutting to get to mile 95 and then get hit by an idiot.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    4:02 is a fantastic time!
    I managed it in 04:26 (taking 25 ,it's from my 2013 time), without stopping.

Felt like there were lots more people on the road in comparison to 2013 (think there are 10,000 more entrants now), but strangely much less of a club presence that I noticed anyway (left at 0720) and consequently much less chain gangs going round than in 2013.

Definitely bottlenecks in narrower roads through Dorking area (?) and on Leith and box hill.
  • sherer
    Sad news has been confirmed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-33755413

Rider did die on the event. Really feel for the family and friends of this guy.

Not sure what the organisers could have done, he could have stayed at home and still had the heart attack
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It was confirmed as a fatality last night:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/aug/03/cyclist-dies-near-dorking-during-ridelondon-cycling

Hopefully he went doing something he truly loved. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

Edit - cross-post with above.
  • iPete

I was asking, as I remember that someone filtered all the results in 2013 and hosted them on Google Docs

Oh righto, yes they did it again.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MEvGXz4s_3VeYCs50LhALfbSrB95krIYUQ7BtpcmCcU/edit#gid=1369043326
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Blimey, that's really sad news about the guy on Leith Hill. Anyone know what time this was? According to the GPS, I hit Leith Hill around 10:20 and it was fine, a bit tight as expected, but trundled up at a decent pace no problems.

Quite soon after I think, I started 0736 and got to the bottom of Leith after about 3hrs riding but had stopped for a drink at Newlands. Think it had just happened as we all had to walk past the poor bloke being given CPR... puts it all into perspective eh? Condolences to family & friends.
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    My condolences to the family of the bereaved.

Has anybody done a full analysis of the times? edit - crossed with post two above
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Well, that was quite a day!
    I wasn't too sure about the whole thing, but it was much better than I'd anticipated, - the ride through central London was a real blast, and the support on the whole course was just fantastic. Tippetts Corner to the Mall went by in what seemed like a flash, - it was a little surreal to look up and think, 'oh yeah, there's the Houses of parliament, Downing Street', etc.
    Picked up a tack at the top of Box Hill, which made for an exciting blow out on the descent by the golf course. I'd like to think it wasn't thrown down there on purpose, I've heard the locals there are little fiesty.
  • Anonymous
    Broke myself. Went sub 4h 30 and legs are hurting now!

Bloody good day out, my first attempt and enjoyed it although the last 20 miles were emotional as cramp was seriously kicking in!

So that's nearly 15 pounds an hour... :shock: :mrgreen:

Wife did it in not a million miles away from that time (she's not broke and her legs don't hurt though), so that works out at about £140 an hour compared to staying at home and going for a local ride with the cars and red lights……………

………...excellent value :wink:
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564

tetm? we had a chat after Box, he recognised my bike, was looking much fresher than me. I'm guessing he started in a later wave and caught us up to get that time! Finished in the same bunch.

3.59.01 was the official time, good for 15th fastest on the day. Had started in the second wave and caught the first one after the descent of Newlands. After two weeks in the Alps perfecting getting aero on descents my Newlands Peak to Leith Hill Peak Strava segment was enough for 3rd overall. Pretty broken afterwards but a few recovery pints last night has made the head hurt rather than the legs.

Tragic news about the chap on Leith Hill though, condolences to the family.

Good to have a chat Pete, if you weren't fresh you were good at hiding it!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148

I was asking, as I remember that someone filtered all the results in 2013 and hosted them on Google Docs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MEvGXz4s_3VeYCs50LhALfbSrB95krIYUQ7BtpcmCcU/edit#gid=1369043326
    iPete I think was in the front group with you, what bike were you riding? I was the LP rider on the Cervelo.

I was just distanced on Leith but got on quickly after the descent. Box seemed to not be as fast despite the group being lined out.

The sprint for the line was an absolute melee but at least it was safe.

I heard about 5 crashes happen around me hence I made up my mind to never be deeper than 20th wheel. The group was probably 40-50 coming into Wimbldeon but that last steep ramp shed a few.

I don't think I'll consider doing this again due to safety reasons. I DP rider went to hospital and another RCC ride I know spent a few hours in A&E getting attended to.

Not to pick on them too much but the several tri riders in the group were lethal.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Who won it then :wink:
  • iPete

3.59.01 was the official time, good for 15th fastest on the day. Had started in the second wave and caught the first one after the descent of Newlands. After two weeks in the Alps perfecting getting aero on descents my Newlands Peak to Leith Hill Peak Strava segment was enough for 3rd overall. Pretty broken afterwards but a few recovery pints last night has made the head hurt rather than the legs.

Tragic news about the chap on Leith Hill though, condolences to the family.

Good to have a chat Pete, if you weren't fresh you were good at hiding it!

Kudos, wasn't prepared for spinning out 52x12, need to work on my aero! Was feeling the burn deep down and was nearly dropped on the mighty Wimbledon hill!

Grouping up down The Mall "shall we find a pub'", "YES", "oh wait it's not even half 10!" :lol:

iPete I think was in the front group with you, what bike were you riding? I was the LP rider on the Cervelo.

Not to pick on them too much but the several tri riders in the group were lethal.

Sounds familiar! Kingston Wheeler kit on a green/White CAAD8 with 2 distinctly bright pink bidons!

I appreciated that most of the tri-guys were running kit that warned as such or had behind the seat bottle mounts. I was also appreciative of the shake down over Leith that thinned the group down, the bunch felt safer after every shelling.
  • Loved it.

4:56:51, I did 5:21:01 in 2013 and while I'm a bit fitter I didn't really think I could average 20mph for 5 hours

I was lucky and got an early start (6:26 official, but was actually off just after 6:15). All Hills were fine, actually the 1 I found toughest isn't even a hill - that climb just after Gomshall through Holmbury St Mary). Felt a bit tough through Leatherhead but a few guys from MDCC (whoever they are - thanks), helped me out for 3-4 miles with a tow, while I got my legs back.

Condolences to the family of the guy who died :-( Unfortunately the bigger these events become the greater the risk, but they should take some comfort that he was doing something he would've enjoyed and had lots of people (albeit strangers) around him
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Ok yeah, remember well. I appreciated the US domestic team colours on your steed - was it Navigators or UHC? I did a road race on the Bletchingly circuit with your mate on the Saetta 2-3 weeks ago.

Actually, the comforting thing about that front group was the familiarity of most of the riders around me - was like a Surrey League 1/2/3. As fast too :-)

I was Blue A start, the first off - so yes anyone from any other colour or letter had x minutes on us by virtue of catching up to the front of the ride. If you want to 'win' Ride London you just need to be an A rider from another colour later than Blue and hope you'll work as a group to catch up. A testament to the speed of the front group that it took some guys until the descent of Newlands to make up 3 minutes - chapeau to them for doing so.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • sherer
    just had a look at a few of my pictures. The price seems to creeping up on these but might get a few. They are still uploading them though as a few they took aren't on here.

So what would everyone suggest they could improve on for next year ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268

By reading the reports, I'd say change the course... on two editions out of three Leith hill had to be rerouted... that must mean something... what's the point of fitting a dangerous bottleneck?
    left the forum March 2023
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926

I was just distanced on Leith but got on quickly after the descent. Box seemed to not be as fast despite the group being lined out.

The sprint for the line was an absolute melee but at least it was safe.

I heard about 5 crashes happen around me hence I made up my mind to never be deeper than 20th wheel. The group was probably 40-50 coming into Wimbldeon but that last steep ramp shed a few.

I don't think I'll consider doing this again due to safety reasons. I DP rider went to hospital and another RCC ride I know spent a few hours in A&E getting attended to.

Think you're part of the safety problem!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,933
    Started in Blue G, did 4.34.57. Might have been a bit quicker but for having to slow down for another team member, but then maybe I needed that bit of recovery. Also two quick stops to regroup.

Having just done the Etape and Velothon Wales in June, I thought it a pretty dull course, though I'm sure some of that is the fact that I only got back from the Alps a week ago. I also must have hit more small holes, and manhole covers than in the previous 3 years combined - thankfully no visits from the fairy though!

I guess if you have to suffer riding in and around London regularly, then the closed roads must have felt great, and they certainly add to the speed!

Sincere condolences to the family of the deceased.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    The route to the start was horrid. Last year it seemed fairly quiet, this year we were suddenly on a really busy main road and then had to work our way through hundreds of people stopping all over the place to use the toilets and deposit bags. As for the randomised loading into pens...

I also think they should reconsider the hills. Whilst I don't consider the descents inherently dangerous, there are always going to be people whose speed exceeds their ability to negotiate corners. I saw (and was almost taken out by) a high-speed crash on the left-hand bend at Headley, which seems to have been a blackspot, and arguably it should have had bales rather than barriers, and probably marshals further up urging people to slow down.

If there are too many idiots looking for every last second in preference to getting around in one piece, it can put other people in danger too and the organisers should take some action.
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    The route to the start was horrid. Last year it seemed fairly quiet, this year we were suddenly on a really busy main road and then had to work our way through hundreds of people stopping all over the place to use the toilets and deposit bags. As for the randomised loading into pens...

I also think they should reconsider the hills. Whilst I don't consider the descents inherently dangerous, there are always going to be people whose speed exceeds their ability to negotiate corners. I saw (and was almost taken out by) a high-speed crash on the left-hand bend at Headley, which seems to have been a blackspot, and arguably it should have had bales rather than barriers, and probably marshals further up urging people to slow down.

If there are too many idiots looking for every last second in preference to getting around in one piece, it can put other people in danger too and the organisers should take some action.
    I couldn't be arsed to ride, so I got a cab to the start.

The left-hand bend at Headley was made all the more interesting by the twa*t of a marshal who let a Mitsubishi pickup truck drive up Boxhill Road against the flow of cyclists hooning down. How nobody was killed is beyond me. The organisers are currently investigating that event.

A little later, on entering the Leatherhead bypass, somebody had managed to toss themselves into the hedge at high speed - Paramedics were searching for him/her as I passed. I do hope the rider is OK.

I completed the hundred miles in 6.18" (no willy-waving here) - I would have been quicker, but needed an emergency dump in the Tardis bogs halfway up Box Hill. Somebody had left a copy of the Sunday Sport and I got engrossed with the 'Spot the Ball' contest. Cost me about 35 minutes.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Were there loads of people with TT bars again this year?

Didn't read the rules this year since I wasn't riding it, but TT bars were banned both the previous years but there was no enforcement.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    What action would you think is practical?

Dangerous overtaking going up and down hills - weaving in and out of slower riders - was mostly what I saw during the '13 and '14 RL100s.

If it doesn't cause an actual crash, the perp is going to be long gone before a marshal could wrestle him to the ground and administer the wagging of a finger, and if it does cause a crash they're going to be too busy sorting out the medical intervention and getting the event moving again.

So I don't see what they could do, in reality.

Unfortunately, as I've said before, they can't even be arsed to do the trivially easy bit of enforcement that really is practical, which is to prevent people from starting if they have TT bars.

Good luck getting any improvement in people's selfish behaviour.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?