The Irony Thread

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Unless she's planning to burn those things made from oil, what's the problem?

She doesn't appear to realise where these products come from.

Gteta Thurnberg - "We demand that at this year’s forum, participants from all companies, banks, institutions and governments immediately halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction, immediately end all fossil fuel subsidies and immediately and completely divest from fossil fuels.

We don’t want these things done by 2050, 2030 or even 2021, we want this done now – as in right now."
    Like I say, is she going to use them as fuel?
    No, she is wearing items she wants production of stopped immediately.
    In what way is it a fossil fuel if it's not being used as fuel?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    edited August 2021

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Gteta Thurnberg - "We demand that at this year’s forum, participants from all companies, banks, institutions and governments immediately halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction, immediately end all fossil fuel subsidies and immediately and completely divest from fossil fuels.

We don’t want these things done by 2050, 2030 or even 2021, we want this done now – as in right now."

You do know where nylon, plastic and rubber come from amongst the other items in the photo? Carbon too, come to that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

You do know where nylon, plastic and rubber come from amongst the other items in the photo? Carbon too, come to that.
    Yes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Tbf if we only used oil for materials we’d be in a better position (most likely).

Greta also had a habit of wearing second hand clothes.

I also think the logic in criticising a campaigner for something because they are not utter puritans is rather pathetic, especially given what she is campaigning for is fairly existential.

What should she do? Not wear appropriate kit or stop campaigning because she does?

Pathetic criticism.

I’d expect that kind of nonsense from Coopster.

No doubt if she was dead people would criticise her body for breaking down and releasing methane and other gases during the decomposition process 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I don't think chucking all the oil derived products we've made so far into a landfill would be much of a moral stance either pb.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Of course it's shortfall liking this nonsense
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    pblakeney said:

The carbon footprint of not sailing to the US is even less.

Not when you consider the impact of her speaking. I'm pretty confident she has a negative impact on carbon emissions. This contrasts quite a bit to your post which has no relavance as far as I can see and seeks to increase emissions.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    edited August 2021

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I think it is more the bad wording of the message from those using her as their mouthpiece. Whether or not it is used as a fuel it is still being extracted (presumably following exploration). I'm pretty sure that is the irony that PB is pointing out.

I tend to feel a bit uncomfortable when seeing GT giving her lectures. Not because I think she is wrong or doesn't fully believe what she is saying but because it feels like she is being manipulated for her very earnest nature and, possibly, slight naivety by others who have their own agenda.
  • TheBigBean
    pangolin said:

Of course it's shortfall liking this nonsense

Shortfall likes some of my posts. They're never nonsense.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney said:

Wasn't sure whether to put this here, or in the giggles thread.
    Either way, just for giggles...

Methinks this is being taken too seriously.
    Sorry for engaging.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    Purely for the purpose of giggles - marks out of 10 for the flounce?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    Let's not go back to knitted wool swimming costumes, anyway.

Obviously, only because sheep fârt a lot and are the reason so many upland areas are bare grassland, rather than scrub and woodland.
  • pblakeney

Purely for the purpose of giggles - marks out of 10 for the flounce?

5?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

pblakeney said:

The carbon footprint of not sailing to the US is even less.

Not when you consider the impact of her speaking. I'm pretty confident she has a negative impact on carbon emissions. This contrasts quite a bit to your post which has no relavance as far as I can see and seeks to increase emissions.
    He's certainly emitting something.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Just remember though, Greta knows better...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Rob Hatch of the perfect pronunciations saying on the radio paralympic coverage that someone swims for Plymouth "leen der".
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Stevo_666 said:

This is a weird comment, and i don't really know where you're coming from.

Is it that you think you know better than Greta? Is it that you don't believe in climate change?

I don't understand.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

This is a weird comment, and i don't really know where you're coming from.

Is it that you think you know better than Greta? Is it that you don't believe in climate change?

I don't understand.
    I thought she did know better? I'm sure she is someone you can relate to ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Tbf if we only used oil for materials we’d be in a better position (most likely).

Greta also had a habit of wearing second hand clothes.

I also think the logic in criticising a campaigner for something because they are not utter puritans is rather pathetic, especially given what she is campaigning for is fairly existential.

What should she do? Not wear appropriate kit or stop campaigning because she does?

Pathetic criticism.

I’d expect that kind of nonsense from Coopster.

No doubt if she was dead people would criticise her body for breaking down and releasing methane and other gases during the decomposition process 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I may be far away and using an old fashioned thing called an aeroplane to get home but I would just like to remind you Rick that this is the irony thread.
    Oh and perhaps to not wear your pants so tight ffs.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Stevo_666
    https://msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/m25-protest-four-cars-collide-as-climate-activists-insulate-britain-block-part-of-motorway-again/ar-AAOsGyd?ocid=winp1taskbar

"President of motoring insurance group AA, Edmund King, said that during the last Insulate Britain blockade, a thermal insulation engineer was prevented from going to work after being stuck in the traffic queue."
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited September 2021
    When they say insulate Britain, do they mean put some fibre glass wall around the entire border? A wall made of kingspan?

Do they include Northern Ireland, does sound like it?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

When they say insulate Britain, do they mean put some fibre glass wall around the entire border? A wall made of kingspan?

Cavity border insulation? Maybe Priti is a founding member.
  • elbowloh said:

Ironically, Kingspan are an Irish company.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

elbowloh said:

Also apparently rather dishonest about how fire retardant their products are. According to Greenfell enquiry.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    webboo said:

elbowloh said:

Also apparently rather dishonest about how fire retardant their products are. According to Greenfell enquiry.
    Their 20 week lead time is causing me some problems at the moment . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Not been my favourite company since last year when they didn’t give the missus a 2021 diary. I had to buy own what’s the world coming to.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2021
    Supermodel Linda Evangelista has said she has been left "permanently deformed" due to an adverse reaction to a fat reduction procedure.
    The 56-year-old revealed she had experienced a rare cosmetic side effect of the treatment five years ago which actually increased her fat cells.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58662756
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The RMT union's own staff have walked out, forcing the RMT to have to negotiate a resolution with the GMB union. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59094494
  • pblakeney
    People not being able to get to COP26 due to a weather* event.

*Yes I know weather is not climate, but climate affects weather.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!