Tour of Britain 2014

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Kwiatkowski is so effing strong when he's fresh. He was obviously completely burnt out by the time he got to the Dauphine and the Tour.

Can't see Wiggins taking 20 odd seconds out of Kwia in the short TT. He's beaten Tony Martin in short TTs twice this year.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    My man takes the win and the GC.

Your man? How many men have you got? You're such a slag.

He has always been my man. Nothing wrong with having a good handful of riders you support avidly.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

He has always been my man. Nothing wrong with having a good handful of riders you support avidly.
    How many hands do you have??
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I reckon there is a great decision tree in deciding if a rider is one of Frenchies.

Variables

- Native language
    - Skin Tone
    - Style
    - Team they ride for
    - Links to doping
    - Perceived Poverty growing up
    - Racing intelligence (weird one to gauge, being smart and speaking english seems to be a kiss of doom)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Lol. Racing aggression and bravery needed to be added to the list as well.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

With the exception of Wiggo, FF's men are those who win a stage.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

With the exception of Wiggo, FF's men are those who win a stage.

You have got this one quite wrong.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Milton50 wrote:
    Kwiatkowski is so effing strong when he's fresh. He was obviously completely burnt out by the time he got to the Dauphine and the Tour.

Can't see Wiggins taking 20 odd seconds out of Kwia in the short TT. He's beaten Tony Martin in short TTs twice this year.

wiggins would have lost even more time today if a group(1) of young GB riders hadn't sprinted to close the gap... :D

not his race this year.

still a fan of bradders
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • The guy riding in the chain reactions advert needs to learn to climb properly. How about sit down and not flop around like a dying fish out of water. :wink:
  • Felt really sorry for Alex Dowsett today, Kittel had a puncture and was allowed a tow back, so why wasn't he?
  • Andy_S_T wrote:
    Felt really sorry for Alex Dowsett today, Kittel had a puncture and was allowed a tow back, so why wasn't he?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-of ... e-puncture
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's been a good race so far. The race grows every year. Perversely, I think a win by Kwiatkowski would be better for British cycling than a Wiggins win as it would add more status having a non-Brit of his calibre winning. Especially if he then goes on the do well at the Worlds.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    It's been a good race so far. The race grows every year. Perversely, I think a win by Kwiatkowski would be better for British cycling than a Wiggins win as it would add more status having a non-Brit of his calibre winning. Especially if he then goes on the do well at the Worlds.

Steephill do not have photos from it and they have photos from the small Spanish stage races and things like Tour of Alberta. Wonder whether that is because few photo journos cover it or there are some BC imposed copyright issues or whatever.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    del
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    RichN95 wrote:

Yes, was a cracking stage finish yesterday... really had it all attacks, counters, some good team echelons.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    This century it makes a change to have "Home" winners instead of all the East Europeans constantly winning our races.
    Room for thought there regarding the popularity of "Cycling" these days in this country. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Forgot th first rule today. If you want to get on the telly make sure you are standing next to the plonker in the silly costume. Not opposite...
  • Has there been a week long UCI pro tour stage race with less interest on this forum all year? Bizarre on a UK forum that there has barely been a mention of stage winners!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Has there been a week long UCI pro tour stage race with less interest on this forum all year? Bizarre on a UK forum that there has barely been a mention of stage winners!

It does seem to have slightly misfired considering what was probably hoped for it after the summer in Yorkshire. Saying that the turnout in the towns seems to have been really good. I managed to get the the Tumble and it was a lacklustre turn out although it did turn out to be a good afternoon in great weather, the people up there were pretty much all cyclists of course and there seemed to be a complete lack of loud idiots which was great (I think they all got their fix up on Holme Moss in the summer).

As far as the race goes, it will have to stick at it if it's going to develop into a proper part of the race calendar.
  • Stage winning ride, but I put in more effort than this when I collect the newspapers.

3db753de91732fbb1ddbb2d8dd894637.jpg
  • adr82
    More fun with motos today apparently: http://www.stickybottle.com/blogs/benne ... ay-for-me/

(scroll down and check out the remains of his helmet!)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Has there been a week long UCI pro tour stage race with less interest on this forum all year? Bizarre on a UK forum that there has barely been a mention of stage winners!

Next time someone posts immature Bradradar hysteria link them here. It doesn't help the race profile that the 'home team' leadership has such a dismal attitude to the sport: "If we can't win, we won't try".
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

The Vuelta threads haven't been very well attended either, and having the two together has split the posts a bit. It also seems some of the frequent posters are saving themselves for the World's - or maybe have retired. Some of us have had to face up to finally getting back to work after a long summer.

What we really need is a good row about something.

Edit: the new server gremlins and more invasive popups aren't helping either.
  • Henao's crash from Stage 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXzpvw40_i0

Apologies if its already been posted.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    A lot of them seemed to completely misjudge that corner!
  • Managed to catch yesterdays stage in 5 different spots around the County which was a personal best!
    Was amazed to see the break still out in front when we got back to Exeter, looked like they were really struggling with 50k to go and was surprised to see Cav looking so comfortable on the big climbs sat on the front of the Peloton.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    What 'big climbs' ?

It's a chipper ! :lol:

Sadly perhaps, despite Hugh Porter and the ITV4 crew's efforts to say how 'tough' each stage is, it may be a big thing for the UK domestic teams but for the World Tour teams it's an easy-legstretch warm-up for the Worlds for those who didn't get to the Vuelta

:twisted:
  • Today's route goes over Chinnor Hill, scene of a glorious 4th place in a 3/J race for me in 1988, so it is a route with some pedigree :lol:
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    mfin wrote:

It does seem to have slightly misfired considering what was probably hoped for it after the summer in Yorkshire. Saying that the turnout in the towns seems to have been really good. I managed to get the the Tumble and it was a lacklustre turn out although it did turn out to be a good afternoon in great weather, the people up there were pretty much all cyclists of course and there seemed to be a complete lack of loud idiots which was great (I think they all got their fix up on Holme Moss in the summer).

As far as the race goes, it will have to stick at it if it's going to develop into a proper part of the race calendar.

It seems to be ordinary people, who work/live/go to school close to the route, that are getting out and supporting it. Britain lacks monuments which draw clusters of dedicated supporters, although the climbs in Yorkshire attracted some huge crowds.

What I fond impressive is the speed that they are doing over some truly awful potholed roads.
  • adr82
    frisbee wrote:
    What I fond impressive is the speed that they are doing over some truly awful potholed roads.
    Watching the highlights from yesterday I was also impressed nobody ran into the yellow cones some total idiot had decided to line the road with (eg watch the OPQS rider on the front at around the 50s mark, having to warn people behind). Should have been removed before the race came through.