Tour of Britain 2014

Comments

• Not sure if it was mentioned earlier but here is Cavendish getting hit by a team car:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8C6LiZL71Q&app=desktop

Comments:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/t ... ash-135039
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,196
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Appalling commentary on ITV. Doddery old commentator failed to notice the crash on the final bend and then bangs on about Kwiatowski not realising there were two more riders between him and the winner - No, dozy ars*, YOU didn't realise!!! Time for someone who is capable of commentating to take over?

To be fair the cameras didn't show the 2nd and 3rd place finishers. Don't know how he missed Tao crash, I suspect most people could see it happen a couple of seconds before it occurred. I was watching on ES and they saw the crash but had also thought Kwiatowski was second.

It was a good stage with Dowsett fighting hard to limit his losses but Bear Road was just too much for him, he was closing before they hit that. His team didn't give him much help though, Visconti buried himself but they had Izagirre in the group in front who could have dropped back to help.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,187
    Important question.

Why are there Benelux neo-pros called Dylan? Two in the top ten. Who called Dylan was popular there in about 1993?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    Important question.

Why are there Benelux neo-pros called Dylan? Two in the top ten. Who called Dylan was popular there in about 1993?

Bob. They've always been decades behind with their music. Either that or it coincides with lots of Welsh lads starting to go on stag nights there. Thinking about it, my old club mate Dylan Williams spent a few years racing over there around then :shock:
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Important question.

Bob. They've always been decades behind with their music. Either that or it coincides with lots of Welsh lads starting to go on stag nights there. Thinking about it, my old club mate Dylan Williams spent a few years racing over there around then :shock:
    I don't think it's Bob. They're all born in 92-94 (there's five of them). I think it might be Beverley Hills 90210 that's to blame.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    here is Cavendish getting hit by a team car
    More Cav hitting the team car?!
  • tumblr_nbuhf4sdRc1qacyk6o1_1280.png
    tumblr_nbuhf4sdRc1qacyk6o2_1280.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Phew, finally watched the stage.
    Another excellent, exciting affair.
    Love these classics style courses, especially with 6 man teams.

Young Dylan van Baarle is an excellent TTer, so it will take something special if we are to get a third (and final) leader in three days.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Important question.

It's Thomas, not Bob. Big into drinking and poetry. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,187
    Tao learnt a lesson today - always read the road book, especially the final kilometre.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    Tao learnt a lesson today - always read the road book, especially the final kilometre.
    Yep. He's still 15th on GC though which is impressive. I wonder if Sky (or possibly another team) will do with him what Orica did with Ewan and sign him while keeping him in the u23s for another year.
  • RichN95.
    Watch out, here comes Tao:

BxcEf6xIYAEVMhi.jpg
  • andyp
    This is the barrier he landed on;

BxcEf0LIMAAHx8a.jpg:large
  • RichN95 wrote:

BxcEf6xIYAEVMhi.jpg

Amazing timing to capture those photos!
  • I watched the Stage on ITV 4........
    I didn't believe it when as the peleton turned onto Ditchling Beacon, where I expected some drama to unfold. Bloody adverts, it seemed like 10 minutes of them. Pick the race up again with the leader riding across the Moors!!!!!!
    They are not the Moors Hugh, they are the South Downs.
    Didn't anyone know that after 140 ish miles that climb was going to be decisive in some way?
    It transpired the drama that I didn't see had happened and the bunch had split.
    I guess it is most important to show the adverts, what a b***s up, and for poor old Hugh, doesn't know where he is or which rider is which half the time.
    Apologies Rant Over.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    r0bh wrote:
    Did I imagine that? Commentators don't mention it.....

No it definitely happened. Went into the corner way too hot slammed on the front brake and over the bars into the barriers. Hope he is OK.

He said he's fine on Twitter. Looking at that video I don't think he slammed the front brake. I'm pretty sure he locked up his rear and was going fast enough for it to catapult him in the wrong direction. Sort of like a mini highside. Quite hard to tell though.

He had the back locked and drifting when he hit that patch of new tarmac which, as you say, mini-highsided him. At that point he grabbed a bit more front and over he went. Spectacular old shunt and the damage be made to the barrier looks painful!
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yep. He's still 15th on GC though which is impressive. I wonder if Sky (or possibly another team) will do with him what Orica did with Ewan and sign him while keeping him in the u23s for another year.

He's riding for Axel Merckx's Bissell team, which is set to be re-branded, again next season. I'm sure he's on Sky's radar, given that he's a long time member of the BC development scheme.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    RichN95 wrote:

BxcEf6xIYAEVMhi.jpg

Nice bit of pothole filling in the background...
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,217
    RideOnTime wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

BxcEf6xIYAEVMhi.jpg

Not a pothole, the local authorities removed a traffic island that was there specifically for the race.
  • RichN95 wrote:

BxcEf6xIYAEVMhi.jpg

If the road racing doesn't work out for him, he can always turn his hand to good old BMXing. :D

DD.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    RideOnTime wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

BxcEf6xIYAEVMhi.jpg

They FILL potholes? Round here they leave them for you to negotiate like some bike handling trial until someone crashes so badly on one they get sued!

I was gutted for Dowsett yesterday, when he took yellow I didn't realise what the next day's route was like, it wasn't really suited to him but that's the way the cookie crumbles and no one could accuse him of not giving it everything to stay in contention.

It should be a nice little TT today, I've not seen the route but I imagine it will be a prologue style one. Who is everyone's pick for the win?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Paul 8v wrote:
    It should be a nice little TT today, I've not seen the route but I imagine it will be a prologue style one. Who is everyone's pick for the win?
    Too short for Wiggo to really shine I'd say but that 4k pursuit work might still be in his legs.

So I'll go for Wiggo. He has an new bike as well:

BxeTAyJIgAAOEV1.jpg:large

Very very nice. Paint job might look a bit dated soon though with the 18th looming! :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Hello all, I'm about to walk over to Embankment to watch the TT - could anyone suggest a website that I can load up on my phone to get live text updates?
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • RichN95.
    Englander wrote:
    Hello all, I'm about to walk over to Embankment to watch the TT - could anyone suggest a website that I can load up on my phone to get live text updates?
    Use twitter. Particularly the hashtag tob2014.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Englander wrote:
    Hello all, I'm about to walk over to Embankment to watch the TT - could anyone suggest a website that I can load up on my phone to get live text updates?

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/live/#.VBVsN_ldXxc
  • RichN95.
    Wiggins wins the TT comfortably. Chavanel second, Cummings third. Van Baarle retains the lead.

GC
    1. Van Baarle
    2. Kwiatkowski +10
    3. Wiggins +22
    4. Zardini +37
    5. Roche +42
    6. Izagirre +46
    7. Chavanel +50
    8. Dowsett +54
  • RideOnTime
    Daz555 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Too short for Wiggo to really shine I'd say but that 4k pursuit work might still be in his legs.

So I'll go for Wiggo. He has an new bike as well:

BxeTAyJIgAAOEV1.jpg:large

Very very nice. Paint job might look a bit dated soon though with the 18th looming! :mrgreen:

I guess Wiggo is showing his support for the Union... could be worth a mint in a year or two.
  • RideOnTime
    Its a relief though that the ToB will not need to go to Scotland.
    Full of midges and that f@cking awful woman Nicola Salmond or whatever.. .

anyway back the cycling...

lovely day for a TT
  • Just back from watching. Wiggo was motoring.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,347
    Thought it was a TT? Split stage?