Tour of Britain 2014

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Interesting situation at the moment.

Three man break has 3.38 lead with 20km to go and includes Dowsett who is only 1.25 down on GC.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    I would like to see dowsett floor it with 10k to go. Deserves a stage win that lad
  • RichN95.
    3.04 with 12k to go.
  • RichN95.
    2.45 with 8km to go. Dowsett is grabbing GC here.
  • This race gets better every year and fast become the 4th grand tour.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited September 2014
    Kwia on the front now, 6k @ 2:30
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Hold on hold on...

There's SPOILERS. I didn't expect spoilers.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • adr82
    3k @ 2:15, so around 50s lead for Dowsett on GC as it stands right now
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    er is that Cav on the front?
  • adr82
    Yep it is
  • adr82
    Brandle takes another stage win... and now we wait... Kwia on the front again
  • RichN95.
    Doswett leads by around 30 seconds. They're going have to work him over tomorrow.
  • adr82
    GC gone for Kwia then, by something like 30s?
  • RichN95.
    34 seconds lead for Dowsett.
  • Did they give the Tinkoff DS a lobotomy before the stage started?
    Roche dumped off the podium while they sat in the bunch and did nothing.
    Sky not much better, only using their one good rider, while one of the world's best trialists
    didn't do a tap.

All in all, some incredibly odd, apathetic antics led to a brilliant stage to watch.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Today's route goes over Chinnor Hill, scene of a glorious 4th place in a 3/J race for me in 1988, so it is a route with some pedigree :lol:

Is that the year Matt Stephens won? (It may have been year before) I would have been in that one too. As a skinny teenager I was on the wheel of a huge guy right to bottom of climb.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I think everyone's just taking a breather after the main part of the season is over and waiting for the worlds.

Sounds like a good stage today though.
  • I'm not sure TS give a fiddlers about a ToB podium. Great result for Alex, would be brilliant if he can hang on and I really like Kwiatek.
    I don't really want the thread to go down this tangent but feel obliged to point out that Sky really have been dung for the majority of this season. Can't see Wiggins taking a minute out of Dowsett in a 9km TT even if he cared about the result and if he does he is doing a good job hiding it.
    LOL at Cav and Kwia taking turns on the front. OPQS mustn't have had many favours to call in to help with the chase and nobody else must really have cared.
  • Wow, didnt expect that. Nice work Dowsett!

Blazing, considering that he is moving from the team for next year maybe they didnt feel inclined to help him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'm not sure TS give a fiddlers about a ToB podium. Great result for Alex, would be brilliant if he can hang on and I really like Kwiatek.
    I don't really want the thread to go down this tangent but feel obliged to point out that Sky really have been dung for the majority of this season. Can't see Wiggins taking a minute out of Dowsett in a 9km TT even if he cared about the result and if he does he is doing a good job hiding it.
    LOL at Cav and Kwia taking turns on the front. OPQS mustn't have had many favours to call in to help with the chase and nobody else must really have cared.
    Don't think Wiggo was remotely arsed about a podium. If he was in with a shout of yellow I'm sure Sky would have been pulling hard - himself inlcluded.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • I admire Wiggins and all he has achieved but I can't help but make the comparison of him and Froome. Froome is tearing himself inside out to perform at the Vuelta whilst Wiggins seems content to get pulled along the back roads of Britain gracing us with his presence. I hope he proves me wrong in the next two days but he seems to be easing himself into retirement whilst collecting a pay packet. Pains me to say it.
  • As someone who lives in the Chilterns and watched them grind up Kop Hill today I'm chuffed that the terrain had a hand in the result. Watching the fractured peloton grimace their way up and how some of the stragglers looked to be seriously suffering it was quite heartening to know that the hills that dish out it out to us locals in a regular basis were hurting the pros too.

Sounds to me like there was some underestimating the last part of the stage but fantastic to see Dowsett in yellow.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    That was good today, well done Alan Doswett.
  • Mad_Malx
    So of the four :wink: GTs, ToB has the best weather this year?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Dowsett has been riding really aggressively since missing out on the Tour. Is he looking for a contract for next season? I was surprised to see him so near the front on The Tumble the other day and then he was in one if the two breakaway groups going up Wyche Cutting on Wednesday I think. Hope he can hold on. Should do with a short, flat TT to come as long as he can cling on over Ditchling after today's efforts.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    As much as I'm a fan of dowsett, I backed kwiat ftw before the off. So yeah, slightly mixed emotions.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Great stuff, really impressive from Dowsett. Not often you get a stage like today's, wonder how the discussion between Roger Hammond and Dowsett went? Also have to wonder what the teams in the peloton were thinking giving the break that much rope.
  • Mad_Malx
    Strange seeing the pros doing my commute yesterday. Good turn out from both fans and general public just a few miles in.
  • Is there any live coverage at the moment? ITV4 seems to start at 1pm, but I want to see them go through Horsham before that