Tour of Britain 2014

Comments

• They were talking about it on the highlights something to with him taking a knock to his hip
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz total 1st stage FAIL for the organisers.

Looked like there were big crowds though. Designed more for those on the ground rather than tele viewers. It was a bit of a shock after watching the Vuelta though.
  • A very good last 250 metres.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Stannard out with a broken scaphoid - hope he comes back with a blistering classics season next spring.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    mm1 wrote:
    Stannard out with a broken scaphoid - hope he comes back with a blistering classics season next spring.

Wondered who the Sky rider was who crashed at the end. Thought it might have been Stannard as he just seemed knackered and slowed right down after trying to do a stint on the front.
  • Can someone set up a spoiler thread so I don't have to read a cyclingnews report to find out who won? Cheers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • As Sean Kelly said today about the Vuelta: " A beautiful stage".
    An entertaining final 15kms, raced off amongst the GC contenders, in perfect weather.
    More of the same forecast for tomorrow, where some of us here will be part of the expected, 10, 000 crowd atop the Tumble.

Oh and Lasse showed dogged determination. :D
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Yes, a good entertaining stage I thought, in the balance for a long time with several possibilities. I was at the 50m to go point in Llandudno and it was a good atmosphere.
  • I'm heading up to watch Stage 6 on Friday, does anyone have any good local knowledge for watching it go up Chinnor Hill?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Oh and Lasse showed dogged determination. :D
    Get out. Just go.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I after swooning over the views from the Vuelta highlights I was amazed to watch the ToB and feel the same. Brilliant landscape in the final run in to Llandudno and quite good racing for a moment or two.
  • Footage of Cav's 2nd crash:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIoCTO6KP0s
    Could have been a lot worse!
  • Today's finish, a bit earlier:
    10661187_659557007474610_1633336824_n.jpg
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Great win by Zardini. Does aanyone know what sunglasses he was wearing? Looked like some retro Brikos.
  • RichN95.
    A handy ride for Tao Geo Hart. 17th, just 50 seconds back.
  • Hasn't someone started a new thread on the Resurrection of the One True Wiggins as a GC rider after today's stage?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Flippin' heck. No posts at all during the race. Is anyone watching ? Does anyone care ?
  • RichN95.
    Hasn't someone started a new thread on the Resurrection of the One True Wiggins as a GC rider after today's stage?
    Not if they saw the stage.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Hasn't someone started a new thread on the Resurrection of the One True Wiggins as a GC rider after today's stage?
    Not if they saw the stage.

I didn't see it myself :oops: , but 5th 5 seconds behind Kwiatek is a good performance, no?

• RichN95.
    I didn't see it myself :oops: , but 5th 5 seconds behind Kwiatek is a good performance, no?
    Got dropped halfway up the climb. Then got dragged back by David Lopez.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Standard Wiggins

• Still need to be decent to be dragged back though surely?
  • RichN95.
    Still need to be decent to be dragged back though surely?
    Sure. I'm not saying he was terrible. He may well win the GC yet. But, going back to the original comment, starting a "Resurrection of the One True Wiggins as a GC rider " thread on the back of that stage would be daft
  • :) Agreed.

I like that feeling of vulnerability with him, makes me feel he is more real with the suffering. If that even makes sense.
  • I was 90 metres from the finish on the left of the photo above.
    Stewards were sending all to the other side, so we sneaked around the back of the tv trucks.
    There are about a half dozen days you can wear a T shirt up there and today was one of those.
    Got let into the VIP section for the podium presentations, which was good.
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:

He was only about 5 secs behind Lopez when they went past me at 2km to go, just after the cattle grid and looked comfortable despite Lopez looking back to him.

It seemed a bit of a slow stage, just everyone waiting for the finish I suspect.

Highlight for me was seeing a load of weekend warriors after the finish trying to descend like Tony Martin with their noses on the front wheel and the Belkin riders went past them sat up, hands of the hoods having a chat as if they weren't there.

Some dodgy driving by team vehicles afterwards, overtaking groups of riders on blind bends on open roads (Saxo were the worst) and the BMC van took out a wing mirror on an oncoming white van and didn't bother stopping much to white van man's annoyance!
  • Last 8km here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcsEABAfuMw

Good job they put those barriers up from 1.5km out, it could have been carnage... ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95 wrote:

Standard Wiggins

Well, at least it's the motivated Wiggins rather than the can't-be-arsed version...so far;)
    PTP-wise disappointed by Cummings - over-raced apparently. I hear Konig has not been 100% since racing in the US.

Bardiani show again they're the best value team amongst World Tour and Pro-Conti. Forza Bardiani!

Thought there'd be more fans on the Tumble?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Thought there'd be more fans on the Tumble?

Whooooa there. I used the standard logic applied for the TdF crowds and estimated at least 50-60k people in the last 3 km.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    There was a fair old crowd up there. It's a long climb to spread over. Shame it wasn't a weekend though, it would have been heaving up there. I can remember watching a mid week Kellogs stage over there and there were probably only about 100 people, all die hard club cyclists. Things have come a long way in the last 15-20 years.