TDF Stage 17:St Gaudens-St Lary-Soulan Pla d'Adet *spoilers*

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    dang100 wrote:
    Kiryienka finished the stage 76th :(

Boo! That sucks. Still, he made it interesting.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So who is raising eyebrows?
    If I had to pick one, Peraud. I don't think he is up to no good, but I having the form of your life at 37 is interesting.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    If I had to pick one, Peraud. I don't think he is up to no good, but I having the form of your life at 37 is interesting.

He's not as strong as last year, IMO. Although difficult to tell for obvious reasons. Possibly also with bearing in mind he's only been a road racer for for seasons.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Valverde? His eyebrows are now part of his hair, so can't be raised any higher

*guffaw*
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Valverde? His eyebrows are now part of his hair, so can't be raised any higher

OUTSTANDING! :lol:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Rick Chasey wrote:So who is raising eyebrows?

Horner anyone?

PS I feel quite ggod that there's no major skulduggery going on and all performances are within sensible expectations
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I feel quite ggod that there's no major skulduggery going on and all performances are within sensible expectations

I'd go along with that.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    Valverde , MAGNIFICENT,I thought he would be off the podium by now. Really hope he hangs on.
    Saxo showing just how strong they are this year. 3 big stage wins and don't forget the work Roach put in.
    Brilliant. Contador would be proud of his team mates.
    Kiryienka having a go and It would have been great to see him hang on, hope he can get a stage win for his efforts.
    Schleck getting in the mix was good to see. Peraud looking super.

Nibs rocking it at ease.

Come on Valverde ,,,,,,, you can do it
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204

Raised mine on stage 14. Raised them a little higher now.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    RichN95 wrote:

He was set for a possible top-10 finish last year don't forget, before crashing out in the stage 17 TT
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    smithy21 wrote:

Raised mine on stage 14. Raised them a little higher now.
    Agree.That ras a must seen performance.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    He was set for a possible top-10 finish last year don't forget, before crashing out in the stage 17 TT
    He's never been this good though. But it's hard to tell as I don't think Nibali has often got into top gear often.

But as I said I don't think he's dodgy.

But I assume that Rick was referring to Majka. But he's just picked his moments well. He's had two firsts and a second, but for the rest of the Tour he's been in the autobus. (I hope he got some KOM points deductions for that handsling, though)
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    He's never been this good though. But it's hard to tell as I don't think Nibali has often got into top gear often.

But as I said I don't think he's dodgy.

But I assume that Rick was referring to Majka. But he's just picked his moments well. He's had two firsts and a second, but for the rest of the Tour he's been in the autobus. (I hope he got some KOM points deductions for that handsling, though)

Yeah , that hand sling made all the difference... :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Tinkoff and theoretically Sky Tour teams are built up with super strong riders in their own right. If their leader goes out they should then conserve and direct their energies and talents at winning stages or the KOM.

Tinkoff have Sky haven't, but it shouldn't surprise you when very strong riders in breakaways who are racing purely for themselves win stages.

Additionally they have climbed the mountains significantly slower than the GC riders.

Majka on 149 points, Nibali on 118 and JRod on 112.

Porte lost 7mins and G (who wants to go GC racing rather than one day racing) binned 14 mins.

GShim at bottom of team tables and AG2R have an almost unassailable lead.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Majka 31.50
    Nibs/Peraud 30.32
    Armstrong/Basso (2005) 30.34
    Ton of other well known dopers finishing several mins down on those two.
    1993 :lol:
    Jaskula/Romimger 29.35
    Indurain 29.35
    Roche 30
    Millar 30.41
    1982 33.32
    ...Hinault 34.12
    1974 Poulidor 33.20
    ...Merckx 35.09

The 90s were so dirty its unreal.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Tinkoff and theoretically Sky Tour teams are built up with super strong riders in their own right. If their leader goes out they should then conserve and direct their energies and talents at winning stages or the KOM.

Tinkoff have Sky haven't, but it shouldn't surprise you when very strong riders in breakaways who are racing purely for themselves win stages.

Additionally they have climbed the mountains significantly slower than the GC riders.

Majka on 149 points, Nibali on 118 and JRod on 112.

Porte lost 7mins and G (who wants to go GC racing rather than one day racing) binned 14 mins.

GShim at bottom of team tables and AG2R have an almost unassailable lead.
    Majka spent the first half of the race riding about in the autobus giving no support to his leader. Just riding for his own selfish goals. If he hadn't maybe Contador wouldn't have crashed.
  • frenchfighter
    I voiced my displeasure with him on numerous occasions. Not sure what it has to do with my post though. He had an easy start to the race before the mountains where he would have been useful. He is a super rider so instead of having to race for a team leader totally he rode for himself. You could argue that him coming straight from the Giro as a young ridee and having short notice for the Tour are genuine reasons for not doing well early...I suspect so but also suspect he was sulking a little. Like I said I am not a fan but he has talent.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Milton50 wrote:
    Majka didnt even challenge for that?!

Doesn't seem much point sprinting for an extra couple of points when the last climb is worth 50.

Well you called that right. Majka even said after that Riis had told him not to challenge and save it for the win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

I don't for a moment doubt this, but surely it's not unreasonable that current clean performances (whoever is doing them) will be better than those of the past - powermeters, HRM, bikes that are 2kg lighter, scientific approach to nutrition, training etc.
  • frenchfighter
    Mad_Malx wrote:

I don't for a moment doubt this, but surely it's not unreasonable that current clean performances (whoever is doing them) will be better than those of the past - powermeters, HRM, bikes that are 2kg lighter, scientific approach to nutrition, training etc.

Yeah I appreciate all this and there is only so much you can read into a time...personally I find it interesting which is why I post it but wouldn't draw conclusions unless it was ridiculous.

There are quite a lot of times the climb has been done over the decades. See how it is high before the 90s drops down sub 30 then back up again.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Some performances now will match or beat some performances from back then, but that's as much down to the context of the race as anything. The super performances of those days (e.g. Pantani on Alpe d'Huez) won't be matched clean for a long time. You'll probably have to wait until riders start emerging from Africa for that (and I don't mean white guys like Froome).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RonB wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    See that Konig had a bad day and is out of the Top 10. That's a shame...
    +1 :(
    Still provisional results. Think he's 9th ....
    König said he had cramp on the last ascent – although he might have meant the next-to-last because I think he lost contact with the Nibali group there.
  • The Pyrenees are so much better and attractive than the Alps.

I was thinking that today. When I started going to watch the tour , for 12 years I alternated between the two - but somehow gravitated to the Alps - just because every one I knew was going there. I remember going once and the whole valley was full of phArmstrong supporters - it can be claustrophobic ( and a bit dismal at times if I'm honest) Wish I had gone to the Pyreenees this year - will do next . Ventoux , Nimes , Camargue, coast( Perpignan) Pyrennees is my ideal route
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    Just watched the highlights. Have been unable to suspend my disbelief at Majka's performance :roll:

What was the winking about? "Hey Mr Doping Control - you can't catch me!"
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    What made me raise my eyebrow was Majka winking at the camera, half way up the climb, with half a job done.
    He'd jumped away from Purito, having attacked him several times and was with Rolland, but still had to bridge a +30" gap to Visconti.
    No apparent stress or effort, while others were chewing the handlebars.
    It seemed so..................knowing.

Then we get the hand sling off the motorbike, (imagine the reaction elsewhere to Froome or Porte doing that)
    and a "fizzing" at the finish that would do Floyd Landis proud

The final wtf moment was his DS saying he'd had a just one week rest between the Tour and the Giro and that he'd been on the startlist since November.
    Did anyone tell Kreuziger of Tinkoff's master deception plan to throw him under the doping bus, so as to bring in a guy who had no domestique duties until the 3rd week?
    Something smells iffy in the state of Denmark.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Contador would be proud of his team mates.

He's not dead!
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    What made me raise my eyebrow was Majka winking at the camera, half way up the climb, with half a job done.
    He'd jumped away from Purito, having attacked him several times and was with Rolland, but still had to bridge a +30" gap to Visconti.
    No apparent stress or effort, while others were chewing the handlebars.
    It seemed so..................knowing.

Yes, same for me. What was that conversation that Greg LeMond had with a French guy while watching LA climb in the TdF? The French guy said something about 'Look at him, no suffering' and LA was having a good old gas on his comms etc.

It's dodgy.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    The plot thickens.
    Check out the Tinkoff lineup:

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Cla ... -Startlist
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Something smells iffy in the state of Denmark.
    It's been a long time since I read Hamlet, but I don't think that's quite the quote
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The thing about Majka's relative performance is that he missed the tough competition to fight for position on classics terrain. Holding off a fatigued second-tier GC battle, twice, isn't so surprising. And today he shadowed J-Rod then had Roche on inspired form to beat the break. I don't think you can deduce too much from these performances.

That said, it's worth seeking out the Cycling podcast mention of his early days in the team. It's possibly in the episode of his 1st win.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.