TDF Stage 17:St Gaudens-St Lary-Soulan Pla d'Adet *spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Is it too short a stage to be called the Queen?
Stage 17, Wednesday, July 23rd: Saint-Gaudens / Saint-Lary Pla d'Adet - 124.5km
Map
Tour-de-France-Stage-17-1400754347.png
PROFIL.png

Tour-de-France-Stage-17-1400756620.png

Tour-de-France-Stage-17-1400756584.png

Tour-de-France-Stage-17-1400756725.png

Final Kms
Tour-de-France-Stage-17-1400756682.png
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

Possibly, but that string of mountains has the potential to cause car-naj.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    edited July 2014
    This, to me, would be the stage Contador would have tried something on. I'm guessing this will be another of those stages where it's just a bit too hard for actual racing amongst the GC guys, but some will crack so there should be gaps of some description.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Today's weather. Looks like they get a tailwind as far as the Spanish border.

etape_17.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The_Boy wrote:

Not sure... they are not the kind of mountains that do big selection in the peloton... I expect 2-3 Astana to be still with Nibali at the bottom of the last climb
    left the forum March 2023
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Well I'm expecting Valverde to go pop today and lose 90 seconds plus to Pinot and Peraud.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Expecting or hoping?

Péraud has looked more on the limit than Valverde (although that might just be because Valv has a better poker face)
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I'm hoping that J-Rod was saving himself yesterday for today's KOM points galore
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    TimB34 wrote:
    Expecting or hoping?

Péraud has looked more on the limit than Valverde (although that might just be because Valv has a better poker face)

Expecting!
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:

Not sure... they are not the kind of mountains that do big selection in the peloton... I expect 2-3 Astana to be still with Nibali at the bottom of the last climb

One after the other on the seventeenth stage of a very though tour? I'd say the potential is definitely there.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Majka and Purito both were quiet yesterday so hope to see both gunning for KOM points.

Wondering what shorts Majka goes for. The polka dot jersey clashes badly with Tinkoff fluro shorts so maybe polka dot shorts a better option? Of he could just go with black but I doubt it...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The_Boy wrote:
    One after the other on the seventeenth stage of a very though tour? I'd say the potential is definitely there.

You need a very aggressive ride from Movistar... but is it in their interest to ride aggressively? Valverde ATM is behind Nibali and Pinot in the mountains, so he should defend rather than attack, unless he spots an opportunity, but it has to come from an opponent bad day rather than his own attack, as it might backfire
    left the forum March 2023
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Looks like it's going to be a dual-screen set up at work again, I love the Pla d'Adet!

201107121341.jpg
  • cesco
    Mark van Bommel and Bert van Marwijk visiting:
    BtN2zD1CMAAEAKN.jpg
  • Refreshments for today's stage
    MarcDeissPinotBlanc.JPG
  • cesco
    Doesn't necessarily have to be a climber today:
    hincapie-06.jpg
    ;)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I stayed in Soulan-St. Lary a few years ago and rode the Plat d'Adet several times. It's not *that* tough a climb. I expect tomoro's climbs will be much tougher.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    If Bardet or TJVG have recovered a bit, this could be fun. If not, it won't.

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Simon Gerrans DNS

That's eight designated team leaders out of the Tour, which I think may be a record.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Bad news for Bertie: https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/491854508004474880

"Bad day,the wound healing gets complicated,I've no date to take the bike.Goodbye to the Vuelta."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What time does the stage start and when does coverage start?

Thanks
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I just put itv4 'live' stream on and was shocked to find Roger's 10 min up again, and the stage nearly over.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    This cow is not from the Pyrenees, she is just wanting to say that she will not be watching the Vuelta now that Bertie will not be there, she has styled her hair accordingly so that she is not tempted to sneak a peek...

vaca-emo.jpg

Meanwhile these cows are comforting each other over the news of Bertie's Vuelta absence.

VND.CowMotherBaby.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy
    coriordan wrote:
    What time does the stage start and when does coverage start?

Thanks

Stefano is rocking orange trousers as we speak. Stage starts in fifteen iirc.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I just put itv4 'live' stream on and was shocked to find Roger's 10 min up again, and the stage nearly over.
    Amazing recovery that. :D
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • above_the_cows
    The Peanut is all in white today.
  • above_the_cows
    And from the wave of the flag Jens Voigt is trying to get in the break.
  • The_Boy
    Fdj look keen to get men in the break
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    This cow is not from the Pyrenees, she is just wanting to say that she will not be watching the Vuelta now that Bertie will not be there, she has styled her hair accordingly so that she is not tempted to sneak a peek...

vaca-emo.jpg

Meanwhile these cows are comforting each other over the news of Bertie's Vuelta absence.

VND.CowMotherBaby.jpg

Could any self-respecting cow support Contador after he accused them of being tainted?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Mechanism wrote:

vaca-emo.jpg

VND.CowMotherBaby.jpg

Could any self-respecting cow support Contador after he accused them of being tainted?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeJkbqjQvnk
  • The_Boy
    Jesus Christ @ hollenstein's injury.