Tour de France:- Stage 14: Grenoble - Risoul *Spoiler*

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Mollema...breakfast...lets pull it all together here...

https://twitter.com/BaukeMollema/status/490395677156204544/photo/1

(if you want cycling facts...go to CN!)
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    FJS wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    What about Bauke Mollema and his steady rise up the GC?

July 15 10th place, July 16 9th place, July 17 8th place, July 18 7th place. How long can this go on? :D
    As long as riders in front of him keep crashing out or having off days. That's how you ride into the top 10 or top 5 of the Tour. Not the most exiting...

Mr FJS, fellow Belkin supporter

Did you spot the lack of support for Bau by Lau yesterday? Has Bau burnt his Belkin bridges by announcing that he is cutting and running to Trek a couple of weeks too early???
    Half man, Half bike
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Ridgerider wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    What about Bauke Mollema and his steady rise up the GC?

July 15 10th place, July 16 9th place, July 17 8th place, July 18 7th place. How long can this go on? :D
    As long as riders in front of him keep crashing out or having off days. That's how you ride into the top 10 or top 5 of the Tour. Not the most exiting...

Mr FJS, fellow Belkin supporter

Did you spot the lack of support for Bau by Lau yesterday? Has Bau burnt his Belkin bridges by announcing that he is cutting and running to Trek a couple of weeks too early???

Have Belkin got a sponsor for next year? Otherwise can't blame a guy for avoiding redundancy.

Mollema has hugely improved his TT'ing - if he is top 5 and close to the dynamic french duo by the penultimate stage then it could be an interesting day.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    wcojr9.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    t9ff3a.jpg

AC's shoe
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Riders getting dropped already. Gonna be as long day for them
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Milton50 wrote:
    If Nibali is feeling as good as it looks like then he should keep putting 40-50 seconds into his rivals. Anything can happen in the remainder of the race and if Nibali were to crash and lose 4 minutes he would never forgive himself for not extending his lead when he had the chance.

I think there is a decent chance of the breakaway winning today if there are some strong riders in the group. Sky won't help in setting the pace anymore so it's up to the likes of Movistar, FDJ, AG2R and BMC. I don't think those teams have enough strength to bring back a strong breakaway.

It's hard to know whether it's a good idea to bank these seconds here and there or is the effort more likely to provoke a bad day?
    Then again if he's feeling good another stage win looks pretty good on his palmares.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    The race for white / to be top Frenchman / to be first Frenchman on the podium since the storming of the Bastille or thereabouts, is shaping up really nicely. I'd like to see AG2R launch Peraud on the Izoard but don't really think they'll be so bold. I do think he will work for Bardet from now on though which may make up slightly for the fact that Pinot is looking to be the stronger of the two at the moment.
  • The_Boy
    Sky with several riders in break. Boring.

#ukpostalmountaintrain
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    DeadCalm wrote:
    The race for white / to be top Frenchman / to be first Frenchman on the podium since the storming of the Bastille or thereabouts, is shaping up really nicely. I'd like to see AG2R launch Peraud on the Izoard but don't really think they'll be so bold. I do think he will work for Bardet from now on though which may make up slightly for the fact that Pinot is looking to be the stronger of the two at the moment.

I worry that this battle will hinder Bardet/Pinot and Peraud. At points yesterday Bardet and Peraud looked like they were racing against themselves for top AG2R rider.

Today - breakaway win.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Riders in the break: Nieve, Thomas, Herrada, Rodriguez, Majka, Roche, Sagan, De Marchi, Kruijswik, Riblon, Timmer, Serpa, Moinard, Gautier, Edet, Taaramae, Yates

Thomas best on GC +14.05
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Art Vandelay
    Bet Timmer is over-joyed to be amongst that lot about to head up the Lauteret
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    That's an interesting break:
    Mikel Nieve and Geraint Thomas (Sky), Jesus Herrada (Movistar), Joaquim Rodriguez (Katusha), Rafal Majka and Nicolas Roche (Tinkoff), Peter Sagan and Alessandro De Marchi (Cannondale), Steven Kruijswijk (Belkin), Christophe Riblon (AG2R), Albert Timmer (Giant), José Serpa (Lampre), Amaël Moinard (BMC), Cyril Gautier (Europcar), Nicolas Edet and Rein Taaramäe (Cofidis) and Simon Yates (Orica) form the front group since km 16

Edit: oops Rich already posted the names
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    DeadCalm wrote:

I worry that this battle will hinder Bardet/Pinot and Peraud. At points yesterday Bardet and Peraud looked like they were racing against themselves for top AG2R rider.

Today - breakaway win.
    Peraud's legs cramped up on the final climb and he expressed disappointment that he couldn't keep Bardet closer to Pinot. Pretty sure now with the gaps the way they are he expects to be working for Bardet now. He did it in the Dauphine. Don't see why he wouldn't do it again.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The sun visor in the Broom Wagon. Valls has joined it today. It would make a hell of a squad.

Bs5ngP7CAAAr6R7.png
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Great pic.

As much as I don't want to wish ill on anyone, if Nibali was to retire today, it'd be bloody brilliant for the race.
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    The sun visor in the Broom Wagon. Valls has joined it today. It would make a hell of a squad.

Bs5ngP7CAAAr6R7.png

Why is modolo's name on a white background?
  • Art Vandelay
    Great pic.

As much as I don't want to wish ill on anyone, if Nibali was to retire today, it'd be bloody brilliant for the race.

I'd settle for Valverde losing 1 minute to spice up the podium fight. NIbs retiring would be tragic.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Majka

P&P say Madgecar

C&S say Myka

which is correct?
  • Art Vandelay
    The_Boy wrote:
    Why is modolo's name on a white background?
    1st rider out?
  • The_Boy
    Great pic.

Not sure it would, tbh. If he lost a couple of minutes on the other hand.....
  • Art Vandelay
    Alan A wrote:
    Majka

P&P say Madgecar

C&S say Myka

which is correct?
    Myka - although you'd put a almost silent J in there too
  • The_Boy
    Buffalo? Buffalos?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Nieve with a great chance of the win today because Geraint will sacrifice himself on the final climb if necessary.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Glad to see 2 sky riders in the break, Nieve is a good shout, on form, I think with the way Astana struggled yesterday th evreak has very good chance to stay away as Astana not strong enough to bring it back alone. If last climb not attacked too hard would like to see G win but think his day will come another day. Nieve v Perrito I think/
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Lets hope we get to see Bourg d`Oisans.Start of the Marmotte. :mrgreen:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Impressive neo Tour for Yates. Two decent races in prospect. A meaty break, and the French connection shredding Valve to a membrane, behind. And thunderstorms.

Worried for Geraint. The stronger the performance the nearer the Kerrison-horizon he flies.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I don't remember Macaloon being so down on Sky in previous years.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!