TDF Stage 13: St Etiennie - Chamrousse *spoiler*

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    woody1545 wrote:
    this photo genuine? His hands look f ing massive!

Of course not.

Brailsford clearly hasn't read that book
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    If Nibali wins this as we all expect, he will be the third consecutive winner to have been in the top four of the previous year's Vuelta. Coicidence? Who knows?

Previous year Vuelta as prep for next years Tour.

Interesting
    It is, but there's many more examples of riders for who it not worked (e.g. Horner and J-Rod this year, Bertie and Valverde last year, Mollema 2012). But there can be something to not taking second half of the season off
  • Well I'm surprisedby Porte, I guess I believed Sky wouldn't go with him as planB if he wasn't showing great form in training. Today suggests his early season form may be his true level this year but the rest of the race will tell. If he was slightly off colour today then he should be able to do something in the Pyrenees,if he can't then I think he can wave goodbye to being a credible GC rider in the future. As for Wiggins, a motivated Wiggins would be the only credible challenger to Nibali left, maybe Wiggins hasn't been motivated but you have to lay some of the blame for that at Brailsford's door.
    Well quite. It just goes to show what a boneheaded decision it was to leave Wiggins at home. As to his form and need for help, it's worth saying yet again that he looked bang on form without much help on some beefy Californian climbs.

Otherwise, it's hard not to appreciate how good Nibali's been and I'll look forward to seeing Valverde's disappointment when he doesn't win!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Well quite. It just goes to show what a boneheaded decision it was to leave Wiggins at home. As to his form and need for help, it's worth saying yet again that he looked bang on form without much help on some beefy Californian climbs.
    And who did he beat in California and how are they doing in this Tour?

2. Dennis - Not selected
    3. Craddock - Not selected
    4. Machado - Currently 72nd
    5. Yates - Not selected
    6. Stetina - Currently 39th
    7. Chaves - Not selected
    8. Ten Dam - Currently 12th
    9. Acevedo - DNF stage 13
    10. De la Cruz - DNF stage 12

He wasn't beating a high quality field. You may as well say that Kennaugh would have been a GC prospect.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    I mentioned on the 'Generation Game' thread that for the past 5 years Nibs has been the most consistent GT rider. I'll admit I didn't see this coming but tbh he's been riding with Cadel-esque 'classics' savvy and then everyone else fell off or to bits behind him.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • RichN95.
    type:epyt wrote:
    I mentioned on the 'Generation Game' thread that for the past 5 years Nibs has been the most consistent GT rider.
    He has been. On the podium for six out of his last seven Grand Tours. Which is why I think that any hope that he may fail now is forlorn.
    The time he missed out (Vuelta 2011) was because he was consistently under par - not a jour sans.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    type:epyt wrote:
    I mentioned on the 'Generation Game' thread that for the past 5 years Nibs has been the most consistent GT rider.
    He has been. On the podium for six out of his last seven Grand Tours. Which is why I think that any hope that he may fail now is forlorn.
    The time he missed out (Vuelta 2011) was because he was consistently under par - not a jour sans.

Agreed.

In his last 9 Tours Contador came 1st 7 times, 4th and 5th.
    5th because he destroyed the Tour and 4th as he gambled a few times on the win rather than position conservation.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    To be fair to Porte he hasn't been in condition all year, so quite why people expected too much of him is beyond me.
    Heart ruling the head. I'm as guilty as anyone.

You have a heart :shock:
    Revelation of the Tour :lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Bs1ekLaIUAIyt3L.jpg:large

Hehe

Is it jsut me or does he look awful here? 10 years older and appalling specs. Full time transition to road must have affected him negatively as well Sky's performance.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    To be fair to Porte he hasn't been in condition all year, so quite why people expected too much of him is beyond me.
    Heart ruling the head. I'm as guilty as anyone.

You have a heart :shock:
    Revelation of the Tour :lol:
    You see my first love is hockey, not cycling. Look out for Wales in the Commonwealth Games - five of my club playing, including a guy who used to tap a ball around on the sidelines as a seven year old when I played with his dad, two other guys whose dad I've played against for many years, and another one that I first played with when he was 13 (and I didn't really rate as much as others did - I still don't).
  • frenchfighter
    That must be a nice moment for you to watch. 5 from one club is impressive.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    They'll get thumped mind you. They're very much the Bretegne Seche of the tournament.
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    Tempo was fast today. 20 mins ahead of schedule. Froome would not have survived today. The Sky train did not exist due to the quick tempo. Astana were spitting out riders. Valverde did well to put an attack in. Class rider. if it carry's on like this Nibs will be able to have a lie-in.

I got the point Rich, take a chill pill. Just enjoyed pointing out again that Porte was rubbish :lol:
    Did you see THAT Tw%% interviewer on ITV 4 tell Porte that 9 minutes was not that bad. ITV 4 are so bias towards Sky ,ar%% licking to a maximum... At least Boardman talks sense.

Valverde for the podium ,,,get in
  • RichN95.
    Coachb wrote:
    Did you see THAT Tw%% interviewer on ITV 4 tell Porte that 9 minutes was not that bad. ITV 4 are so bias towards Sky ,ar%% licking to a maximum...
    Maybe they are just nice people. They exist, you know.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Coachb wrote:
    I got the point Rich, take a chill pill. Just enjoyed pointing out again that Porte was rubbish :lol:
    Did you see THAT Tw%% interviewer on ITV 4 tell Porte that 9 minutes was not that bad. ITV 4 are so bias towards Sky ,ar%% licking to a maximum... At least Boardman talks sense.

Pish. That was Matt Rendell. He's far too classy to ask a fellow human how it feels to see their GC career go up in smoke on a single ride. The look on Porte's face and tone of voice was enough.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    They'll get thumped mind you. They're very much the Bretegne Seche of the tournament.

Ah ok! Still good though and its the performance not the result that matters.

Shame Sep. got injured. Was really looking forward to him...dont think BSE are getting invited back with this performance unless they pull their finger out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Quotes from riders are good today. My battery is done for so cant post the best ones. Pinot saying Valverde told him he was full gas before he attacked.

Navarro's birthday today. Shame for him he had to stop.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    Macaloon wrote:
    Coachb wrote:

Pish. That was Matt Rendell. He's far too classy to ask a fellow human how it feels to see their GC career go up in smoke on a single ride. The look on Porte's face and tone of voice was enough.

I know it was Matt Rendell. I'd rather watch Nigel Mansell eat a pie than listen to the trainspotting anorak tones of his annoying voice .
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    And who did he beat in California and how are they doing in this Tour?

2. Dennis - Not selected
    3. Craddock - Not selected
    4. Machado - Currently 72nd
    5. Yates - Not selected
    6. Stetina - Currently 39th
    7. Chaves - Not selected
    8. Ten Dam - Currently 12th
    9. Acevedo - DNF stage 13
    10. De la Cruz - DNF stage 12

He wasn't beating a high quality field. You may as well say that Kennaugh would have been a GC prospect.

I've been meaning to do that list for a poster on another board. I'm just gonna go ahead and steal your work, I'd that's OK.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:
    I've been meaning to do that list for a poster on another board. I'm just gonna go ahead and steal your work, I'd that's OK.
    I look forward to finding out who you are on another board.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Macaloon wrote:
    Coachb wrote:

Personally, I heard it as very clever trolling from Rendell. "Richie! It's only nine minutes! Why the long face?"
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    There's a thing. What color trouser was Stefano wearing in lemons on cycling?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2014
    Pinot's time on the climb was the same as Menchov and Kloden. I expect 'Professor' Vayer to mention this in his next article.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Funny how when a top GC rider ...

but he's not though, is he?

(from my poor memory) Porte has performed well as leader in a couple of week-long races but he's now heading toward the end of the second week.
  • I must say, as a relative newcomer to watching pro cycling I couldn't really understand all the Valverde hate. Before today. What a bell end.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I must say, as a relative newcomer to watching pro cycling I couldn't really understand all the Valverde hate. Before today. What a bell end.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operaci%C3 ... oping_case
  • RichN95.
    I must say, as a relative newcomer to watching pro cycling I couldn't really understand all the Valverde hate. Before today. What a bell end.
    There are a few reasons.

The main one is doping. But not really the doping itself. Many dopers get caught, come back and are appreciated. With Valverde it took four years to nail him. He used every legal loophole and trick to avoid justice for four years, while cycling in races and getting rich. That's mostly what annoys people. He's also a horrible wheelsucker - but that's racing isn't it. (But it would be nice if idiots recognised that and didn't make him out to be otherwise.)
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Coachb wrote:
    Tempo was fast today. 20 mins ahead of schedule. Froome would not have survived today. The Sky train did not exist due to the quick tempo. Astana were spitting out riders. Valverde did well to put an attack in. Class rider. if it carry's on like this Nibs will be able to have a lie-in.

If he was in the form he was in in 2012 and 2013 he would have survived it quite easily.

This year he was battered before he even started the TdF.

It's hard to tell if Nibali has taken a step forward or not, no one has attacked him yet (apart from Contador's silly effort 3 m from the finish).
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Coachb wrote:
    Good to see Nibs destroy Sky again. Someone mentioned Wiggins :lol: and again :lol: Nibs already beat him into submission at the Giro :lol:
    Was it only me who saw Valverde attack ...are you lot blind as well? Yes you are. At least Valverde was in a position to make a challenge. If that was ex doper Millar riding like that none of you would have a problem :roll:
    Bunch of haters.

Contador was in such good form and it would have been exciting to see if he could have chased down Nibs.
    Froome lost time in a couple of stages last year. He would have got another beating just like the one Contador and Talansky gave him at the Dauphine.
    Brillaint stuff from Nibs and I hope Valverde gets a podium.

Very enjoyable apart from no Bertie.

Porte and Thomas were rubbish. Podium :lol:

It's only last month Froome was handing out the beatings to Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_C-SoEqVLU
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Coachb wrote:
    Good to see Nibs destroy Sky again. Someone mentioned Wiggins :lol: and again :lol: Nibs already beat him into submission at the Giro :lol:
    Was it only me who saw Valverde attack ...are you lot blind as well? Yes you are. At least Valverde was in a position to make a challenge. If that was ex doper Millar riding like that none of you would have a problem :roll:
    Bunch of haters.

Contador was in such good form and it would have been exciting to see if he could have chased down Nibs.
    Froome lost time in a couple of stages last year. He would have got another beating just like the one Contador and Talansky gave him at the Dauphine.
    Brillaint stuff from Nibs and I hope Valverde gets a podium.

Very enjoyable apart from no Bertie.

Porte and Thomas were rubbish. Podium :lol:

I have to agree with most of that. Valverde looks very good. He'll prob have one of his off days though :evil: