TDF Stage 13: St Etiennie - Chamrousse *spoiler*

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    So are we judging everyone based on their last performance now then?
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    I think Porte read Sky's excel sheets upside down or so.

Nibali, still not my favourite, but simply the best.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Maybe Porte is missing Froome. He does say how much he motivates him and how he likes being with him.

@richie_porte 42m
    Ye-ouch!! Rough day for me at TdF. Big thanks to @TeamSky boys for staying with me. See what the rest of the race brings.

--

@daniellloyd1 28m
    I've had a cheeky EW bet on @GeraintThomas86 for tomorrow, presuming he'll be let off the leash. 150-1 with Paddy Power.
    @daniellloyd1 10m
    Watching re-run of Robbie Hunter doing his best to persuade Acevedo to continue. Mainly cos they had 4 staff in the car, limited room.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    OPQS wrote:
    Richie Porte maybe a tad overestimated as a climber?

Was there ever any doubt? SKY fans aside? His performances this year have been sub-optimal, I don't understand why people were talking about him for a podium place.
    That was blatantly wishful thinking on a ludicrous scale. Team Froome has been an unmitigated disaster so far this year and it was eminently predictable.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    DeadCalm wrote:
    OPQS wrote:

Was there ever any doubt? SKY fans aside? His performances this year have been sub-optimal, I don't understand why people were talking about him for a podium place.
    That was blatantly wishful thinking on a ludicrous scale. Team Froome has been an unmitigated disaster so far this year and it was eminently predictable.
    Exaggerate some more. Go on, I know you can do it!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Times up the Madone maybe not the be all and end all.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Twitter
    Sir Dave Brailsford wants his team to get back on their bikes and show what they can do: http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/brailsf ... the-saddle

Please....not again.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

Times up the Madone maybe not the be all and end all.

He was flying in training, climbing better than ever.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    nevman wrote:
    Twitter
    Sir Dave Brailsford wants his team to get back on their bikes and show what they can do: http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/brailsf ... the-saddle

Please....not again.

Check out those specs :shock:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    ThomThom wrote:
    And then he ruined it by saying Contador would be in yellow after today. Oh well...

Well he is correct.

Contador would have needed some pretty special ribeye to put 4 minutes into Nibali today. Oh and he fell off so he isn't there so stop trying to diminish Enzo.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    cesco wrote:
    I think Porte read Sky's excel sheets upside down or so.

Nibali, still not my favourite, but simply the best.

1681.strip.gif

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2007-08-08/
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Oh and he fell off so he isn't there so stop trying to diminish Enzo.

Enzo has never been the diminutive of Vincenzo... so that you know... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Plan Bs rarely work anyway. The one's that do are often when Plan A wasn't much better than Plan B anyway

From 2003-2013 , 33 team leaders who were GC riders have failed to finish. Of the Plan Bs - one won, another came in the top five and, five came in the top ten. 27 failed.

Won: Pereiro (Plan A: Valverde)
    Top 5: Sastre (Julich)
    Top 10: Zubeldia twice (Mayo, F.Schleck), Hesjedal (Vande Velde), Rodriguez (Karpets), Pereiro (Hamilton)

Failing with Plan B is standard, and the better Plan A is the more likely the failure. Cyrille Guimard is probably the best Tour DS of all time and even he was screwed when Hinault crashed in 1980.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Interesting post Rich.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    ThomThom wrote:
    And then he ruined it by saying Contador would be in yellow after today. Oh well...

Well he is correct.

Contador would have needed some pretty special ribeye to put 4 minutes into Nibali today. Oh and he fell off so he isn't there so stop trying to diminish Enzo.

Nibali is my second favourite. I am a big fan. There is nothing that has happened in the past that leads me to believe Nibali would beat Contador. Can you provide me with an example?

In ITTs, Contador-Nibali head to head is 11-4.
    On mountain stages, 25-5.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    RichN95 wrote:
    Plan Bs rarely work anyway. The one's that do are often when Plan A wasn't much better than Plan B anyway

From 2003-2013 , 33 team leaders who were GC riders have failed to finish. Of the Plan Bs - one won, another came in the top five and, five came in the top ten. 27 failed.

Top 10: Zubeldia twice (Mayo, F.Schleck), Hesjedal (Vande Velde), Rodriguez (Karpets), Pereiro (Hamilton)

Failing with Plan B is standard, and the better Plan A is the more likely the failure. Cyrille Guimard is probably the best Tour DS of all time and even he was screwed when Hinault crashed in 1980.

Wasn't Wiggins Plan B for Garmin in 2009 after Vande Velde?
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    Wasn't Wiggins Plan B for Garmin in 2009 after Vande Velde?
    Vande Velde finished. He came 8th (now 7th)
  • frenchfighter
    Chamrousse
    2014:18,3 km@7,3%---50:00---average speed 21.96 km/h(Vincenzo Nibali)
    2001:18,3 km@7,3%---47:46---average speed 22.99 km/h(Lance Armstrong)-RECORD
    ---48:07---average speed 22.82 km/h(Roberto Laiseka)
    ---48:35---average speed 22.60 km/h(Jan Ullrich)
    ---48:51---average speed 22.48 km/h(Joseba Beloki)
    ---49:14---average speed 22.30 km/h(Oscar Sevilla)

NOTE: 2001 was a 34km MTT.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Kwiatek only lost 4mins. That is pretty impressive that he didn't blow completely as I had thought. He is really good at pegging the losses.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    Nibali is my second favourite. I am a big fan. There is nothing that has happened in the past that leads me to believe Nibali would beat Contador. Can you provide me with an example?.

Stage 2
    Stage 5
    And the mere couple of seconds Contador took out of Nibali despite the work from his team on stage 9(?)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    RichN95 wrote:

Giro 2014:
    Runner up: Aru (Plan A: Scarponi)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ContrelaMontre
    Oh and he fell off so he isn't there so stop trying to diminish Enzo.

Enzo has never been the diminutive of Vincenzo... so that you know... :wink:

Except to his dad of course. But let's not let facts get in the way... :wink:

• tailwindhome
    RichN95 wrote:

Giro 2014:

Giro 2013
    Runner up: Uran
    Plan A Wiggins Plan B Henao
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Didn't think I would say it again, having fully believed cycling to be past the old times, but Nibali's performances this Tour are making me think again... He was being dropped every time the road went up at Romandie and Dauphine.

Most boring tour since Armstrongs wins.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • ContrelaMontre
    ThomThom wrote:

Well he is correct.

Nibali is my second favourite. I am a big fan. There is nothing that has happened in the past that leads me to believe Nibali would beat Contador. Can you provide me with an example?

In ITTs, Contador-Nibali head to head is 11-4
    On mountain stages, 25-5.

It would have been a rare effort to put 4 minutes into him though, regardless Contador is a footnote of the Tour 2014

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    durhamwasp wrote:

Absurd comment. And not because we are only just about half way through..
  • RichN95.
    Giro 2014:
    Giro 2013
    Runner up: Uran
    Plan A Wiggins Plan B Henao

As the cliche says - the Giro's the Giro, but the Tour is the Tour. (The Giro is mostly Plan Bs to begin with).
  • RichN95.
    ThomThom wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:

Absurd comment. And not because we are only just about half way through..
    We could really doing with Nibali having a crap day tomorrow though. (Not likely, he's incredibly consistent)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Well I'm surprisedby Porte, I guess I believed Sky wouldn't go with him as planB if he wasn't showing great form in training. Today suggests his early season form may be his true level this year but the rest of the race will tell. If he was slightly off colour today then he should be able to do something in the Pyrenees,if he can't then I think he can wave goodbye to being a credible GC rider in the future. As for Wiggins, a motivated Wiggins would be the only credible challenger to Nibali left, maybe Wiggins hasn't been motivated but you have to lay some of the blame for that at Brailsford's door.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    A motivated Wiggins with 2012 form, maybe. But also with the team working for him, maybe. Didn't Wiggins crap himself everytime he was left alone on a climb in 2012?

I also though Porte would hang on a bit better. But it was just like he came up empty.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.