Oh what a surprise!

Comments

• lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    foy wrote:
    Ibalony you are having a laugh £1200 for a hardtail with tektro disc brakes and a sun race cassette and the same A1 aluminium they were using in 1994. The specification is a joke, you can get a rockrider with a better spec than that for £550. This must be one of the worst bikes in the country for £1200.

Foy! Did you read my post? I posted a link. Its 1200 euros not pounds. Do you have a link to the one youve seen? The link I posted looks fair for a good framed bike. Yes its only got tektros and tranz x dropper but its a good entry level bike or winter bike for someone. Specialized and Trek etc make good frames. There never going to match the likes of canyon or voodoo on spec.
  • foy
    foy Posts: 296
    edited August 2014
    Good entry level bike for £1200 which planet do you live on?
  • lbalony
    foy wrote:
    Good entry level bike for £1200 which planet do you live on? You can get a similar spec rockrider for £550.

SEE PREVIOUS POST
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Haha :)

This thread should have been over the first time someone said if you don't like, don't buy :mrgreen:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is liable to be £1200 in the UK though. But even at a grand, a 14kg hardtail with X5 kit is pretty poor.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    edited August 2014
    CitizenLee wrote:

This thread should have been over the first time someone said if you don't like, don't buy :mrgreen:

Especially given that the OP's previous thread had him shopping at Halfords for a Carrera Vengeance, which suggests he was never even looking for anything in this price range. Although there was that time last year when he posted a nearly identical piece about the price of the 2014 Camber. Specialized You Could Not Make It Up?

Edit: And in August 2012! Does he read Specialized's price list every year just to get upset about it?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Giraffoto wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Especially given that the OP's previous thread had him shopping at Halfords for a Carrera Vengeance, which suggests he was never even looking for anything in this price range. Although there was that time last year when he posted a nearly identical piece about the price of the 2014 Camber. Specialized You Could Not Make It Up?

Haha, that's quality! :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Ah yes, Foy appears to be called Karen...
  • lbalony
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Haha, that's quality! :lol:

Haha!! Didn't realise it was the same person with the Halfords non-injustice. Pretty obvious now. Im still waiting for the link to price & spec as not even on sale in the UK and I can only find a snippet of it, and looks a far better bike than described and cheaper.
  • foy
    How dare you presume that i am a dog when in fact i am a bitch you sexist dogs ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • foy
    Mr or Mrs or Miss lot of balony, if you wish to comment on my thread then please take the time to read it thank you! Give leisure lakes a ring and they will confirm that the bike will be for sale at £1200 when the bike becomes available in around a months time. xxxxxxxxxx
  • Giraffoto
    foy wrote:
    How dare you presume that i am a dog when in fact i am a ***** you sexist dogs ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sincerely apologise ma'am. Now be straight with us, what's with the annual "Specialized have lost the plot" outing?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • foy
    They got rid of the 26ers in the rockhopper range and i thought that was not giving the customer much choice as girls like me struggle with the standover height on a 29er. I did want to purchase a rockhopper as the M4 frames are an awesome ride but even that has been downgraded now to A1, and being unavailable in a 26er i just felt annoyed. Let me make it crystal clear that i think specialized are a legend within the history of mountain biking but price wise they seem to have lost the plot, but i suppose as long as they make a good profit every year they must be doing something right. I went to delamere forest and hired a kona 29er for the day and found it was like piloting an oil tanker compared to a speed boat if you compared it with a 26er. Around 2008 specialized in price terms were awesome value for money but now they are terrible compared to the likes of cube decathlon ghost and canyon.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    foy wrote:
    They got rid of the 26ers in the rockhopper range and i thought that was not giving the customer much choice as girls like me struggle with the standover height on a 29er. I did want to purchase a rockhopper as the M4 frames are an awesome ride but even that has been downgraded now to A1, and being unavailable in a 26er i just felt annoyed. Let me make it crystal clear that i think specialized are a legend within the history of mountain biking but price wise they seem to have lost the plot, but i suppose as long as they make a good profit every year they must be doing something right. I went to delamere forest and hired a kona 29er for the day and found it was like piloting an oil tanker compared to a speed boat if you compared it with a 26er. Around 2008 specialized in price terms were awesome value for money but now they are terrible compared to the likes of cube decathlon ghost and canyon.

Different target markets would be the obvious answer for the differentials between the brands mentioned - the big S comes with a perceived cache and brand quality that the others don't (rightly or wrongly).

Specialized make the Myka in a 26er still by the way (or did for 2014 - cant say I checked for 2015) which may be more suited to female geometry needs vs the rockhopper. Interested to see the Hardrock and rockhopper have drifted into their recreational models rather than the xc grouping in the concept stores websites.

Out of interest - how do you feel about the value for money of the S-Works Stumpjumper Carbon hardtail for 6500 quid!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    Or indeed the S-Works McLaren Tarmac at £16,000.
  • foy
    You can buy a house for that in liverpool ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    foy wrote:
    You can buy a house for that in liverpool ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would anyone do that. I would take the £16k bike, and I hate road cycling.
  • njee20
    I'd pay someone £16k to kick me in the bollocks rather than buy a house in Liverpool.
  • Giraffoto
    foy wrote:
    They got rid of the 26ers in the Rockhopper range and I thought that was not giving the customer much choice as girls like me struggle with the standover height on a 29er. I did want to purchase a Rockhopper as the M4 frames are an awesome ride but even that has been downgraded now to A1, and being unavailable in a 26er I just felt annoyed. Let me make it crystal clear that I think Specialized are a legend within the history of mountain biking but price wise they seem to have lost the plot, but I suppose as long as they make a good profit every year they must be doing something right. I went to Delamere forest and hired a Kona 29er for the day and found it was like piloting an oil tanker compared to a speed boat if you compared it with a 26er. Around 2008 Specialized in price terms were awesome value for money but now they are terrible compared to the likes of Cube, Decathlon, Ghost and Canyon.

So, your real issue with them is that they don't make the bike you want any more? If you want a high quality aluminium frame, good specification and 26" wheels there are options other than Specialized. You could even do your own build for the price of the current Rockhoppers. And come to think of it, if you don't insist on aluminium but are prepared to go with steel or carbon, On-One's 456 may tick all your boxes. All of these options have to be better than complaining about the price of the Rockhopper every August.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Giraffoto wrote:
    So, your real issue with them is that they don't make the bike you want any more? If you want a high quality aluminium frame, good specification and 26" wheels there are options other than Specialized. You could even do your own build for the price of the current Rockhoppers. And come to think of it, if you don't insist on aluminium but are prepared to go with steel or carbon, On-One's 456 may tick all your boxes. All of these options have to be better than complaining about the price of the Rockhopper every August.

paul.skibum likes this.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    has anyone blamed wiggle yet?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Strava?
  • foy
    But if i dont complain every august you keyboard warriors will have nothing to do any more and i like keeping you entertained ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Chunkers1980
    pics are better.
  • welshkev
    foy wrote:
    But if i dont complain every august you keyboard warriors will have nothing to do any more and i like keeping you entertained ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's stretched to 5 pages so it must be entertaining someone :lol:
  • welshkev
    pics are better.

of?
  • Chunkers1980
    anything really. but her if she's hot.
  • welshkev
    anything really. but her if she's hot.

ah, I get you. POIDH

and we all know there's no gurls on the interweb

especially gurls who ride bikes :lol:
  • Giraffoto
    foy wrote:

No, we still have gems like this to keep us entertained . . .

Should i buy a 29er hardtail.

Been thinking long and hard about buying a 29er hardtail, what are the advantages and disadvantages? I mostly ride a lot of canal towpath, disused railways, and farm tracks. Thank you folks for any advice in advance!

Followed by this . . .

Re: Giant 2014...nearly all 650b

The thing that really strikes me about 29ers is that they just dont look right, they look totally stupid and the geometry just does not look right either. I tried one once at delamere forest and it was like driving an articulated lorry, and i would not have a 29er given to me for free

You should maybe try another 29er with lighter wheels. Or shop around for a non-Specialized that fits your requirements.
    XM-057 rigid 29er