TDF Stage 10-Mulhouse-La Planche des Belles Filles *spoiler*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Break back together after the descent and Sagan solo to take the points.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,537
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    What does *spoiler* mean?

Is it one of those stupid PC things like the way the BBC puts all headlines like "this"? As if putting in inverted commas means they can claim they didn't really mean it. All headlines are just alleged.

How can you spoil something that hasn't happened? And once it's happened it's too late anyway.

And if you think you might be revealing something that happened to someone that has recorded it and wants to pretend they do not know the result then WTF are they doing reading an internet forum about it for!

Rant over.

Kind of go along with this its a modern day bullsh*t thing people get real anal about this its simple if you don't want to know the result stay off the forum. After all you woudln't watch Sky Sports News or BCC Sports news this is no different.

Maybe for the Tour, but there are loads of other races, at loads of other times of day, throughout the season. It's a small courtesy to label threads with spoiler.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    Did Sagan get the sprint points? I am confused reading what's on the forum and watching what I can see on ES.
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2014
    Sagan will rejoin the break after sitting up.

They have 2.30.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Sagan, Voeckler, JRod sprint. Sagan drops off and JRod just nudges it.

Voeckler seems to have the points, but I'd like to see a photo.

Bastille day innit ;-) Let's hope this isn't like prehistoric football where they don't go back and review decisions after the event
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    narbs wrote:
    Ooo I'm getting into a Twitter argument with that poetry idiot John over Heineken. He's claiming it as Alsatian because Heineken have an international brewery there. Well they also have a brewery in Rwanda, but that doesn't make them Rwandan.

Congrats, he seems to have admitted defeat.

He really is a plum.

He's a massive plum. Nice avatar by the way.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    Wow, peloton split in two and yellow jersey caught out...they are sitting up though and the group behind will make it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Martin is forging away and has about 4 in two including Kwiatek. They are 45 secs ahead.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    CHENG!
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    narbs wrote:
    Ooo I'm getting into a Twitter argument with that poetry idiot John over Heineken. He's claiming it as Alsatian because Heineken have an international brewery there. Well they also have a brewery in Rwanda, but that doesn't make them Rwandan.

He really is a plum.

Crikey he's a much younger plum than I envisaged. I thought he sounded 60ish.
  • Paul 8v
    What's John's surname? Might have to have a butchers at this twitter argument :-)
  • frenchfighter
    Big Tone has single handedly reduced the gap to 1.30 now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Sagan being tailed off from the break with Gerard
  • alan_a
    Paul 8v wrote:
    What's John's surname? Might have to have a butchers at this twitter argument :-)

https://twitter.com/Jono_HB
  • adr82
    edited July 2014
    Kangert really pushing the pace up front!
    Edit: whoops wrong person, Westra!
  • above_the_cows
    Alan A wrote:
    narbs wrote:

He really is a plum.

Crikey he's a much younger plum than I envisaged. I thought he sounded 60ish.

Isn't he, I imagined him sitting there in a cardie sucking on a Werther's Original.
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Westra must be there only for Nibs later - is he even doing any work, or is Tommy pulling him along? I'm working from the ticker only here!
  • alan_a
    TV Tommy & Westra have dropped Purito & co
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Ridgerider wrote:
    If ever there was a stage shaped by geology, today is it...

Well I don't need a better excuse to rip off Wikipedia...

The elongated massif is divided south to north into three sections:

The Higher Vosges or High Vosges[2] (Hautes Vosges), extending in the southern part of the range from Belfort to the valley of the Bruche. The rounded summits of the Hautes Vosges are called ballons in French or "balloons".

the sandstone Vosges or Middle Vosges[2] (50 km, or 31 miles), between the Permian Basin of Saint-Die including the Devonian-Dinantian volcanic massif of Schirmeck-Moyenmoutier and the Col de Saverne

the Lower Vosges or Low Vosges[2] (48 km, or 30 miles), between the Col de Saverne and the source of the Lauter.
    In addition, the term "Central Vosges" is used to designate the various lines of summits, especially those above 1000 metres in elevation. The French department of Vosges is named after the range.

272px-DEMVosges.png

From a geological point of view, a graben at the beginning of the Paleogene Period caused the formation of Alsace and the uplift of the plates of the Vosges now in eastern France and the Black Forest now in Germany. Strictly speaking scientifically, the Vosges Mountains are not mountains as such, but rather the western edge of the unfinished Alsatian graben, stretching continuously as part of the larger Tertiary formations. Erosive glacial action was the primary means by which the representative highland massif feature developed.
    vosges00.jpg
    Geographically, the Vosges Mountains are located wholly in France far above the Col de Saverne separating them from the Palatinate Forest in Germany, which logically continues the same Vosges geologic structure but traditionally receives this different name for historical and political reasons.

The Vosges in their southern and central parts are called the Hautes Vosges. These consist of a large Carboniferous mountain eroded just before the Permian Period with gneiss, granites, porphyritic masses or other volcanic intrusions. but in the north, south and west, there are places less eroded by glaciers, and here Vosges Triassic and Permian red sandstone remains in large beds. The grès vosgien, (a French name for a Triassic rose sandstone) are embedded sometimes up to more than 500 metres in thickness. The Lower Vosges in north are dislocated plates of various sandstones, ranging from 300 to 600 metres (1000 to 1850 ft.) high.

DSC_7520_a_b_c_fused.jpg

The highest points are located in the Hautes Vosges: the Grand Ballon in ancient times called Ballon de Guebwiller or Ballon de Murbach rises to 1424 m (4,670 ft), the Storckenkopf to 1366 m (4,481 ft), the Hohneck to 1364 m (4,475 ft), the Kastelberg to 1350 m (4,429 ft) and the Ballon d'Alsace to 1247 m (4,091 ft). The Col de Saales, between the Higher and Central Vosges, reaches nearly 579 m (1,900 ft), both lower and narrower than the Higher Vosges, with Mont Donon (1008 m, 3307 ft.) being the highest point of this Nordic section.

There is great similarity between the Vosges and the corresponding range of the Black Forest on the other side of the Rhine: both lie within the same degrees of latitude, have similar geological formations and are characterized by forests on their lower slopes, above which are open pastures and rounded summits of a rather uniform altitude; furthermore, both exhibit steeper slopes towards the Rhine and a more gradual descent on the other side. This occurs because both the Vosges and the Black Forest were formed by isostatic uplift, in a response to the opening of the Rhine Graben. The Rhine Graben is a major extensional basin. When such basins form, the thinning of the crust causes uplift immediately adjacent to the basin. The amount of uplift decreases with distance from the basin, causing the highest range of peaks to be immediately adjacent to the basin, and the increasingly lower mountains to stretch away from the basin.

Isostac.gif
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alan_a
    Westra doing most of the work
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    D O G wrote:
    Westra must be there only for Nibs later - is he even doing any work, or is Tommy pulling him along? I'm working from the ticker only here!

Westra jumped, Tommy chased
  • above_the_cows
    Paul 8v wrote:

What have you done with Arthur, Paul? He's been replaced with hagelslag! And that folks, like Heineken and red trousers is Dutch.

Anyway what's Little Flower up to?

BREAKING NEWS - CHENG now leading the Lanterne! King Edward is cooked.
  • Paul 8v
    Alan A wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

https://twitter.com/Jono_HB
    Merci! He is younger than I thought he sounded!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Sherwen with all these credit card and bill analogies, he must be chuffed to bits he's got a new load of bôllocks to overuse.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,707
    Martin should put Kwiatkowski on his back................then he could go quicker.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • alan_a
    Purito & co have clawed their way back to TV & W
  • frenchfighter
    Nice Castle in that photo.

Impetus from Voeckler has taken their lead to 1.50 and 4.
    Coeckler is with Moinard, JRod, Visconti and Westra.

110km to race.
    profile-10.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Paul 8v wrote:

What have you done with Arthur, Paul? He's been replaced with hagelslag! And that folks, like Heineken and red trousers is Dutch.

Anyway what's Little Flower up to?

BREAKING NEWS - CHENG now leading the Lanterne! King Edward is cooked.

:-(
  • adr82
    Greipel makes it back to the front of the peloton! And starts pulling immediately
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Just tuning in now.

Sagan on the attack and Greipel leading the peleton

Oooo....kay....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!