Tour de France Stage 5 Ypres-Arenberg *Spoiler*

Comments

• kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sky could have taken the very reasonable position to just slow down enough today to keep Froome safe, they didn't do that.
    Do you expect all the other teams to slow down for them as well?

Each team has their own agenda, if Froomes wrist was as bad as we are allthinking going hell for leather is just daft
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    TMR wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Yes, he is hurt. So wtf?

Not significantly.
    Hurt enough to pull out of the Tour. You're being a dickhead if you're enjoying it. But carry on if that's your thing.

I'm happy he's out of the Tour. I'm not happy if he's hurt. I'm not a complete 'dickhead'. It's karma folks. Don't take it out on me.
    Didn't call you a 'complete dickhead', but if the shoe fits...
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    calvjones wrote:
    It looked like his right wrist was in a bad way. If he could have could have continued, he would have, no doubt.

The race is over now as a contest unless Nibali can hit top form. At least the Giro was a good race.

DD.

So do we not rate little Richie then?

It would be good to see Porte in the mix for sure, I'm not sure he has shown the form this year to be up there in the top three but who knows. Talansky is another outsider who might get up there. Chris Horner might do some damage too. :lol:

DD.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Costa is in the front group.*

*Peloton.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Thomas's odds went from 50-1 to 16-1 for today's stage as soon as Froome crashed. Now down to 12-1.

I asked a mate to check earlier just out of curiosity.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sky could have taken the very reasonable position to just slow down enough today to keep Froome safe, they didn't do that.

Each team has their own agenda, if Froomes wrist was as bad as we are allthinking going hell for leather is just daft
    But if they slow down, the other teams will just ride past them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • adr82
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Ah, you found the subtle flaw in that cunning plan :D
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Costa is in the front group.*

*Peloton.

COSTA FOR PODIUM!!
    He is a Port TT champ and has been going really well this year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ddraver wrote:
    If you can't understand that the whole peloton riding flat out to position themselves for the cobbles is what's causing these crashes then you re frankly a little bit dim

Nah. Just a difference of opinion. Try it sometime. Might not need to be so fast with the insults.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Thomas and Porte on the front.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well G looks like he's on a mission...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    hammerite wrote:
    Thomas's odds went from 50-1 to 16-1 for today's stage as soon as Froome crashed. Now down to 12-1.

I asked a mate to check earlier just out of curiosity.

Wow that was quick. Nice work to check it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

After Froomes first crash today, riding at the back would have made better sense
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    All I keep thinking is "My PTP hopes are in tatters, I need a good Eneco tour now"

:D You're not alone. Have a solidarity drink.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Van avermaert and looks like Terpstra in the Valverde group.

So a Cancellera - Vanmarcke show down. Hopefully they will spend less time looking at each than in P-R this year.
  • rick_chasey
    Roelandts, van summeren, Thomas, Porte rogers there too.
  • frenchfighter
    All together: Nibs, Contador, Talansky, TJ, Valverde
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Roelandts, van summeren, Thomas, Porte rogers there too.

As in the peloton - sep is looking very lively.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I wonder if Froome's crashes were in part the result of his wrist injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fracture impeding his ability to steer or brake.

If so good one him for trying. Wiggins would not have.

Silly comment - you don't know that. At least Wiggins has done PRB (and placed highly) when did Froome try such a Warrior's race?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TMR wrote:

Silly comment - you don't know that. At least Wiggins has done PRB (and placed highly) when did Froome try such a Warrior's race?

Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2014
    Wiggins P–R was a bit drier though. His Giro experience last year suggests he'd be less keen today.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    TMR wrote:
    I wonder if Froome's crashes were in part the result of his wrist injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fracture impeding his ability to steer or brake.

Like I told you yesterday, you need to let it go. You're starting to look like a complete prick.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Are we all forgetting Wiggins performance in the rain in last year's Giro?

No guarantees he would have done better than Froome today
  • rick_chasey
    Hayman looks comfortable.
  • adr82
    TMR wrote:

2008?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    If Tony enjoys this, 2015 Roubaix could be well interesting.

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    TMR wrote:

Wiggins would have rode this race better although maybe with Roubaix there are less riders in the mix and not many inexperienced riders so it is not so dangerous. With Wiggins I just strongly think he is made of softer stuff than Froome.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    So now we're only one crash away from a Valverde Tour victory?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    adr82 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Yes, he is hurt. So wtf?

Not significantly.
    Hurt enough to pull out of the Tour. You're being a dickhead if you're enjoying it. But carry on if that's your thing.

I'm happy he's out of the Tour. I'm not happy if he's hurt. I'm not a complete 'dickhead'. It's karma folks. Don't take it out on me.
    Didn't call you a 'complete dickhead', but if the shoe fits...

I can see why you might be disappointed I am taking enjoyment in his fate, but I wasn't happy with the whole SKY Team Section process in the first place.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2014
    ddraver wrote:
    If you can't understand that the whole peloton riding flat out to position themselves for the cobbles is what's causing these crashes then you re frankly a little bit dim

That's amazing.

So now stages which requires one of the most thrilling disciplines of the sport are too dangerous as well..

The weather is poor, it sometimes is. Get on with it.