Tour de France Stage 5 Ypres-Arenberg *Spoiler*

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    TMR wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    curium wrote:
    Why is Froome not sat on Contador's/Nibali's wheel?

No shame in following on a day like today...

Probably doesn't want Contador bringing him down again.

Or perhaps he's learning how to ride from a Master. If he manages to go more than 1 minute without falling off of course.

I'll quote you if Contador falls. That's if I can type through the laughter and constant rewinding :) ...I don't like Froome either though.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Kittel down and took out a few others... all seem back up...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Shamelessly stolen from the BBC ticker:

_76147908_023087293-1.jpg

What lovely charolais cows.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2014
    @marcelkittel 4 hrs

Cobbles + rain = pain! Today is going to be sick. Good that @alberttimmer reminded me of taking my health insurance card with me...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dish_dash wrote:
    Kittel down and took out a few others... all seem back up...

Degenkolb me thinks.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    For next year's Wimbledon, maybe they might consider holding the second round on an untended municipal court full of pot holes, puddles and weeds.

Hardly a fair comparison. If however there was a way of changing the surface such that the speed and bounce of the ball was changed to the extent that certain players performed better on certain surfaces and had to mitigate for their weaknesses when playing on the others then their might be a comparison to be made.

Perhaps if we played some tournaments of grass, some indoors and some on a kind of hard clay surface?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    RichN95 wrote:
    For next year's Wimbledon, maybe they might consider holding the second round on an untended municipal court full of pot holes, puddles and weeds.

Hardly comparable is it? Wimbledon is a lawn tennis tournament so should be played on immaculate grass. The Tour is a Grand Tour of France and should take in the various elements found in that country especially if they have historic links to the sport.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I'm gonna say it - this is a bit silly now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Nibali visible right at the front - I fancy him to take time today. He looks comfy...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    FJS wrote:
    Just turned TV on. It's still warm and sunny here in Sheffield :wink:

Lucky you, I'm sitting under a blanket with pantoffels on.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Kittle skittles. Pave in 7k.
  • The_Boy
    ddraver wrote:

Only two and half weeks to go...

;)
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Hardly a fair comparison. If however there was a way of changing the surface such that the speed and bounce of the ball was changed to the extent that certain players performed better on certain surfaces and had to mitigate for their weaknesses when playing on the others then their might be a comparison to be made.

Perhaps if we played some tournaments of grass, some indoors and some on a kind of hard clay surface?
    Just like they have different races with different characteristics.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kittel down. Calling back to his team car for a comb.

While whistling the theme from Top Gun.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Tennis on cobbles? Then I might watch it. Instead it is just Eurosport filler...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    ddraver wrote:
    What? Riding in the rain? They've not had any cobbles yet.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    De Cauwer saying just how different riding wet cobbles is to dry cobbles.

Sep not happy with the cobble removal - gets why - but is disappointed there's a good 10km between now for a big regrouping.
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Perhaps if we played some tournaments of grass, some indoors and some on a kind of hard cball lay surface?
    Just like they have different races with different characteristics.

Indeed. Except Grand Tours change route every year. Some favour climbers, some time triallers and some sprinters and so on. It's part of the sport, and days like today are no more dangerous than any other. Nor do they penalise particular riders any worse than 'normal' stages.
  • ddraver
    FJS wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    What? Riding in the rain? They've not had any cobbles yet.

Exactly
    - @ddraver
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    FJS wrote:
    Just turned TV on. It's still warm and sunny here in Sheffield :wink:

Lucky you, I'm sitting under a blanket with pantoffels on.

Just googled pantoffels. Nice.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    can't want to see the tiny AG2R rider in the break on the cobbles
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • ddraver
    Froome down again...
    - @ddraver
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    The more I see those Lotto bikes the more I like.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    FROOME CRASHE AGAIN?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Anyone would think this was the first time the Tour had used the pave the fuss some people are making. It isn't some newly introduced novelty a la some of the climbs in the Giro and Vuelta, it has been used on and off since the race started. Don't forget that the mountain roads also used to be unsurfaced.
  • ddraver
    Synchronised roundabout falling...
    - @ddraver
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Double-whammy!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RIDERS DOWN EVERYWHERE

THESE ROADS SUCK BIG BALLS
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    And that's my other bet for the day down (Chava this time).
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Brilliant! Who'll fall over next? It's a lottery.