Tour de France Stage 3 Cambridge-Londres *Spoiler*

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Just got back! Had a fantastic view opposite the O2 on Lea Bridge flyover, hardly any crowd, but got completely pished on as the peloton came by. Still had a great time, and rode back through an empty Limehouse link on my bike, surreal!

Once the Peleton had crossed the line, people were allowed to ride down the final under the arch. So funny watching all the commuters and club riders having sprint battles :)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Not sure how we can write Cav off on the basis of losing a race he wasn't in, sure Kittel looks great but as I say he had it all his own way today.

I would agree with that. That is what's so galling about Cav being out. We don't know how good he could have been against Kittel.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    Vino is cool.
    Yep. Cool enough to get away with gold shades :)
    989D4DB6-62ED-4130-9452-367EF2A4436D_zpsyiunzqji.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Score : 2/10

Even though Ed Pickering told me I was being too generous.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Good day for me on Velogames today, moved up over 2000 places thanks to Sagan and Kristoff :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    iainf72 wrote:
    Score : 2/10

Even though Ed Pickering told me I was being too generous.

I'd agree with him, completely predictable and not even a competitive sprint. The final km of the dullest day usually raises my heart rate but not today, other than the crowds it was a damp squib end to the Tour's UK visit.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    nic_77 wrote:
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    Vino is cool.
    Yep. Cool enough to get away with gold shades :)
    989D4DB6-62ED-4130-9452-367EF2A4436D_zpsyiunzqji.jpg
    Are you Alessandro Ballan?

66BALLAN_Alessandro.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    The final km of the dullest day usually raises my heart rate but not today, other than the crowds it was a damp squib end to the Tour's UK visit.

This.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Great pic, nic :D

Vino looks like he drives a hard bargain.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Pross wrote:
    Good day for me on Velogames today, moved up over 2000 places thanks to Sagan and Kristoff :)
    You GC boys took a hit, though. Konig finished between the bunch and the second big group.
    Frank Schleck and Rolland too, dropped a chunk of time.

Talking of which, the very rear of the field looked like this:

193. MAJKA Rafal 34 TINKOFF-SAXO 03h 44' 24'' + 05' 54''
    194. MORKOV Michael 35 TINKOFF-SAXO 03h 44' 24'' + 05' 54''
    195. KING Edward 54 CANNONDALE 03h 45' 55'' + 07' 25''
    196. HERNANDEZ BLAZQUEZ Jesus Alberto 33 TINKOFF-SAXO 03h 45' 55'' + 07' 25''

Impressive.
    Oleg's boys really dominating the laughing group considering Ted King was left way behind in the spectator crash.
    So far off the pace they might have to catch a later flight. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    What happened to Yates today?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It always was going to be a boring stage, but all those spectators got to experience something that most of them probably hadn't seen before. It's been an overwhelming success for the UK really.

Was funny watching the blind support for Sky, you don't get the idea of that until you see and hear stacks of people screaming a random Sky car through in the hour before the riders come through. Loads and loads of Sky dressing up boxes came out too, but there were classic berks all over the place.

Hopefully we're in for a good race now. Shame we didn't get to see Kittel beat Cav more than once, it would have been great to see that today too.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    mfin wrote:
    Was funny watching the blind support for Sky, you don't get the idea of that until you see and hear stacks of people screaming a random Sky car through in the hour before the riders come through. Loads and loads of Sky dressing up boxes came out too, but there were classic berks all over the place.

Wait What? British People support a British Team?!

Get!

Out!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ddraver wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Get!

Out!

Depends how long you've been watching cycling for though I think, if you've been watching cycling for at least a good few years you tend to be a little bit more neutral.
  • ddraver
    Well I rode in a bit earlier and rode from Waterloo Bridge up the route and then got stopped at about 1.5km. I then went back and tried again with 2 other guys. I was only on the fixie and I had my easier gear on so I was riding behind them being a proper tourist filming them and the crowds on the phone. For some reason we got let all the way on to the Mall to about 300m to go before being stopped so it was just brilliant! Cheers and board banging and everything.

Thinking that that was pretty much the perfect end to a great weekend in Yorkshire I went and sat in the Rapha club till they had about 70k to go then went and found my spot on Embankment at about 4-3km next to a stunning Sweedish girl who was in Sky kit (which is possibly why I disagree with you mfin) who I chatted to while we waited (Why did nt I ask her out Why! You utter pussy raver!!).

Managed to clock a few riders this time in spite of comments elsewhere so was well worth it. Shouldnt have bothered to self-embargo myself until the highlights though - that wasnt really worth it was it...

Great stuff, great weekend Vice le Tour!
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2014
    Started my day doing reps of Greenwich park hill and on my 6th rep I blew past a guy in full Sky kit, TT bike and wheels. On my way down for my next repeat I let him know Contador was the greatest. The guy he was with was wearing Rapha I think - have yet to be overtaken by a Raphite.

So pleased I chose not to go into central London. Was near Silvertown and there was a good atmosphere without crowds so enough room to have your own space. Ridiculous crowds in central...cant think of much worse then jostling for 5th row back for two hours.

I think I defeaned my wife shouting for Contador when they came past and waving my banner. Contador had an ear to ear grin at that point, no word of a lie.

Sky team car came past later and I had my banner in full view for them.

Millar has his top button done up. Wimbledon pundit had a suit with no tie but top button done up. I hope this awful fashion fades very quickly.

Two riders in full Tinkoff kit and bikes came past us 30mins or so prior to the riders...thought it may have been Oleg but he is not riding due to bronchitis. Defo two people connected to the race.

Pretty boring stage all round including the sprint. Roll on Wednesday.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    mfin wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Get!

Out!

Depends how long you've been watching cycling for though I think, if you've been watching cycling for at least a good few years you tend to be a little bit more neutral.
    Have you told the Basques, Italians and Dutch this? I don't think they got the memo.
  • ddraver
    Care to comment on the lack of Commitment and respect for the fans displayed by the Tinko riders rolling in 5 mins behind the peloton frenchie?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Get!

Out!

Have you told the Basques, Italians and Dutch this? I don't think they got the memo.

Wish I'd taken a photo of the Tom Boonen Fanclub in Oudenaarde. No shortage of OPQS or LBE kit on the roadside that weekend either...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    I think I defeaned my wife shouting for Contador when they came past and waving my banner. Contador had an ear tonear grin at that point, no word of a lie.

Sky team car came past later and I had my banner in full view for them.
    Are there any pictures of the banner?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited July 2014
    ddraver wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Get!

Out!
    Sounds like the question "Does the general public actually care that much about Wiggo not being in the team?" has been answered then...
  • ddraver
    RichN95 wrote:
    Are there any pictures of the banner?
    wasnt on the telly...

Bertie's "ear to ear grin" looked a lot more like a grimace on the telly though...
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    ddraver wrote:
    ...next to a stunning Sweedish girl who was in Sky kit (which is possibly why I disagree with you mfin) who I chatted to while we waited (Why did nt I ask her out Why! You utter pussy raver!!).

Son, I am disappointed :mrgreen:
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:
    Care to comment on the lack of Commitment and respect for the fans displayed by the Tinko riders rolling in 5 mins behind the peloton frenchie?

Doing a great job. Saving their legs for when it matters. As you would have seen Contador was 2nd in line behind Bennati at about 4km to go. Every rider was in the peloton wjen they came past me other than Visconti and then another rider I didnt catch as he was ridiculously close to the BMC bumper in the pouring rain at 40mph. Job done.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Aren't banners for student demo's?

Road/Chalk is for cycling fans.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • TMR
    adr82 wrote:
    Sounds like the question "Does the general public actually care that much about Wiggo not being in the team?" has been answered then...

Don't get your dick out just yet. They were cheering at every bus and car, the Sky bus barely raise a murmur from the crowd at Westminster.
  • frenchfighter
    type:epyt wrote:
    Aren't banners for student demo's?

Road/Chalk is for cycling fans.

This is not possible in London especially as it rained and was a major A road. You can be sure next time I head to the mountains Contador will be writteb all over the road.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    TMR wrote:
    adr82 wrote:

Don't get your dick out just yet. They were cheering at every bus and car, the Sky bus barely raise a murmur from the crowd at Westminster.
    Um, what?
  • ddraver
    TMR wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    ...next to a stunning Sweedish girl who was in Sky kit (which is possibly why I disagree with you mfin) who I chatted to while we waited (Why did nt I ask her out Why! You utter pussy raver!!).

Son, I am disappointed :mrgreen:

So am I, Such an idiot :cry:

She says she watches the end of the stage in the Rapha club quite commonly so I may become a bit of a regular there :oops:

God, just imagine every good sterotype about sweedish girls...but holding a bike and in lycra (POC helmets and glasses though but she made it work!)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Doing a great job. Saving their legs for when it matters. As you would have seen Contador was 2nd in line behind Bennati at about 4km to go. Every rider was in the peloton wjen they came past me other than Visconti and then another rider I didnt catch as he was ridiculously close to the BMC bumper in the pouring rain at 40mph. Job done.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You are very easy to pick holes in sometimes...
    - @ddraver