2015 Gear

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Paul 8v wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I believe they are the same mould but not the same layup

Why would they use a different layup in the same mould? You already have something that works, the manufacturer(and the mould) are already geared to do it that way, the research(if you will) is already in place. Why bother to work up a new procedure? :?
    Sorry I meant a different grade of Carbon/Resin.

Still, wouldn't that require new, or at least slightly different, procedures? What with new materials? And wasn't the mould, and the bike design, made to work with certain materials. Seems a bit haphazard to simply downgrade or upgrade materials. What with no design work on those cheaper materials it would seem to almost set the manufacturer up for a fail.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    2015 Sarto Seta:
    10648945_746893625346361_5562899676201822217_o.jpg

Isnt that the company/person that made most of the custom pro bikes a few years ago?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    dennisn wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Why would they use a different layup in the same mould? You already have something that works, the manufacturer(and the mould) are already geared to do it that way, the research(if you will) is already in place. Why bother to work up a new procedure? :?
    Sorry I meant a different grade of Carbon/Resin.

Still, wouldn't that require new, or at least slightly different, procedures? What with new materials? And wasn't the mould, and the bike design, made to work with certain materials. Seems a bit haphazard to simply downgrade or upgrade materials. What with no design work on those cheaper materials it would seem to almost set the manufacturer up for a fail.
    From what I understand that's pretty much how the open mould designs work. the company specs the carbon fibre and resin they want to be utilised and can also make slight alterations. I'm sure someone on here is more clued up than I though.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    dennisn wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Because different layups (or grades of carbon fibre) come at different costs.

AFAIK, a mould is just that - a holder in which to lay out the carbon fibre. It provides the external shaping. What goes into that mould is what distinguishes one brand from another. Using cheaper carbon, and doing less quality control, etc, can significantly reduce costs.
  • Not just one brand from another...

121595?$Hero$

S-Works Venge Frameset 11r carbon frame $ 3,500.00

121599?$Hero$

Venge Pro Frameset 10r carbon frame $ 2,500.00
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Would be much more interesting seeing someone riding these concept bikes.

Have no interest in seeing them stationary.
  • Don't think that would be possible...

...it hasn't got any pedals! :D
  • dennisn
    Not just one brand from another...

121595?$Hero$

S-Works Venge Frameset 11r carbon frame $ 3,500.00

121599?$Hero$

Venge Pro Frameset 10r carbon frame $ 2,500.00

Just out of curiousity, what is the difference? Besides 1000 dollars? :?
  • dread_i1
    dread_i1 Posts: 178
    6da2408fc2a4596126f7bb04c24a2f1e.jpg

Any idea what this is?
  • dennisn wrote:

The carbon (and possibly the layup). One is 10r, the other 11. And as everyone knows, 11 is better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    The irony that dennis would no doubt be waxing lyrical if this was a discussion about 853 vs scaffold steel is striking...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pokerface
    edited August 2014
    dread_i1 wrote:

Any idea what this is?

That looks to be a TIME frame. ZXRS I think.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    dread_i1 wrote:

Any idea what this is?

Not a bike, that's for sure.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

The carbon (and possibly the layup). One is 10r, the other 11. And as everyone knows, 11 is better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

That was good. Got me laughing. :wink:
  • Pokerface
    From Slowtwitch - there is a NEW Cervelo S5. Less ridiculous head tube plus they have designed their own aero handlebars for it. (Plus it's plain black).

I've also read rumours that there will be a 'California' version of it - so lighter and more expensive.

Pics:
    105350-largest_CerveloS5new1.jpg
    105353-largest_CerveloS5new3.jpg
    105358-largest_CerveloS5new4.jpg

Full article:
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_ ... _4552.html
  • Pokerface
    And for those truly interested in new bikes for 2015, a good link: http://www.bdc-mag.com/category/mag/eurobike-2014-mag/

Loads of pics by brand from Eurobike which just opened today. Not much there that hasn't already been spotted or ridden in the wild though but some tasty nuggets.
  • ddraver
    Canyon have designed a road bike with electronically controlled adjustable suspension - http://www.canyon.com/_en/eurobike2014/ ... ected.html

As an engineering concept, Wow!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    DP soz
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ah so these bars are from the Cervelo. Was wondering until I saw the photos above.

BwDR58VCAAAJcH4.jpg

More photos of the BMC:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/ ... ike_342937
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:
    Canyon have designed a road bike with electronically controlled adjustable suspension - http://www.canyon.com/_en/eurobike2014/ ... ected.html

As an engineering concept, Wow!

Although I am not big on these somewhat futuristic looking bikes I think this is pretty attractive and yes clever too.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    CKT by Virenque
    eurobike14-cktbyvirenque.jpg

Lightweight branching out to bikes
    Fluo-Lightweight-Urgestalt-Campagnolo-Super-Record-EPS-Complete-Bike-01.jpg
    eurobike14-urgestalt.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I still don't like the look of disc brakes. ruin the bike.
  • Paul 8v
    Ah so these bars are from the Cervelo. Was wondering until I saw the photos above.

BwDR58VCAAAJcH4.jpg

More photos of the BMC:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/ ... ike_342937

The stem really should interface with that a bit neater. These bars are great until you have to put a Garmin on them then it ruins them, someone should integrate a GPS unit in to the bar for ultimate aero smothness!
  • Paul 8v
    The Canyon Aerobike is a nice concept
  • Canyon line up for 2015, shows configurations but not pricing. Aeroad SLX only available with Shimano groupsets.

https://www.canyon.com/eurobike2014/download/CAN_ProduktFlyer_EN.pdf
  • ddraver
    Have to say Canyon are moving on from just being an online brand into some serious R&D. The MTB and urban stuff is pretty interesting as well.
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    ddraver wrote:
    Have to say Canyon are moving on from just being an online brand into some serious R&D. The MTB and urban stuff is pretty interesting as well.
    They've had really innovative concepts at eurobike for the last 5 years or so And many of the ideas reach production.
    Their new city bike is super cool and was a concept last year, so the TT bike.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Caterham

v78psg.jpg

2l9hxl5.jpg

The steel was very nice too

288w6zs.jpg
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    ddraver wrote:

See the road general and buying advice sections.... Full of posters sending the things back to Germany for replacements and refunds...