2015 Gear

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Save 7.5 seconds over your next time trial with Muc-Offs new lube -https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fR_U75lmjfk

'pparently
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    10494748_10152641029633703_5279607367914923648_n_zpseaa894be.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Has he not got new pair of shoes in the last year?
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Seems odd that the rear mech has what appears to be a cable stop on it, especially as it seems to be attached to a part that appears to have been made specifically for the electronic version. Doesn't look like you'd plug a wire in to it either.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited August 2014
    Ber Nard wrote:
    Seems odd that the rear mech has what appears to be a cable stop on it, especially as it seems to be attached to a part that appears to have been made specifically for the electronic version. Doesn't look like you'd plug a wire in to it either.

Looking closely, it is hex-shaped on the inside of that piece. So not a ferrule or cablestop. Either an adjustment screw or it's holding something in place!
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Pokerface wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:

Looking closely, it is hex-shaped on the inside of that piece. So not a ferrule or cablestop. Either and adjustment screw or it's holding something in place!

Good point. Looking at it again, I wonder if it's holding the battery in place? Looks like you could undo it and slide the battery upwards.
  • frenchfighter
    SE14RIBSPORTIVERAC_1_zoom.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    ^ Not sure I'd want to be spending the amount of money that build would cost on a frame with relatively basic r&d. I know they price well but the frame is the only part where the margins are any better than other manufacturers putting a bike together so something has got to be giving.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • frenchfighter
    Hmm I disagree to a certain extent. The frame is a pretty good one and is significantly cheaper then like for like. For instance their R872 is the same as De Rosa bike. The De Rosa is twice as expensive somply because it has De Rosa on the side and not Ribble. I like the frame and fork other than the front end.
    Contador is the Greatest
    Hmm I disagree to a certain extent. The frame is a pretty good one and is significantly cheaper then like for like. For instance their R872 is the same as De Rosa bike. The De Rosa is twice as expensive somply because it has De Rosa on the side and not Ribble. I like the frame and fork other than the front end.

I agree about the De Rosa stuff, and that's why I wouldn't buy one. A cheap bike is fine for a beginner but you'd still likely be better with a manufacturer using trickle-down tech/r&d than a random mould.
  • frenchfighter
    Don't get that logic - you wouldn't buy a bike at half the price of another?! The frame is not a cheap/beginner one either. Many brands just use similar moulds and have piggy-backed off the powerhouses that actually have the money for r&d. I contacted Ribble about the R872 and they led me to believe they had a major involvement in designing that frame but who knows.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    With feedback from their Pro-Tour sponsored Lotto-Belisol team, Ridley has developed an evolution of their Noah FAST aero bike concept into the professional-level Noah SL
    Ridley_Noah_SL_aero_carbon_road_bike-600x350.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    6da2408fc2a4596126f7bb04c24a2f1e.jpg
    e3d02a9b3f59cc1ed904554da895be5e.jpg

Some stuff from Berk.
    dsc03104.jpg
    104462289038880062915861.jpg
    106307539038893562914515.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Oakley to sponsor Tinkoff next year.
    Contador is the Greatest
    Don't get that logic - you wouldn't buy a bike at half the price of another?! The frame is not a cheap/beginner one either. Many brands just use similar moulds and have piggy-backed off the powerhouses that actually have the money for r&d. I contacted Ribble about the R872 and they led me to believe they had a major involvement in designing that frame but who knows.

Liken it to buying say, a shirt. If I went into a shop and they sold 2 shirts exactly the same but one had a different label and a little emblem embroidered onto the pocket but was 3 times the price, I'd buy neither. Why? I would have no faith/desire in a product that was exactly the same as another in real terms. If a brand can't put enough faith into making a unique product then where else have they cut corners, either with the product or service you receive.

Mind you, half the 'unique' products on this page are bloody awful so maybe you are best just buying simple but effective.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    type:epyt wrote:

Liken it to buying say, a shirt. If I went into a shop and they sold 2 shirts exactly the same but one had a different label and a little emblem embroidered onto the pocket but was 3 times the price, I'd buy neither. Why? I would have no faith/desire in a product that was exactly the same as another in real terms. If a brand can't put enough faith into making a unique product then where else have they cut corners, either with the product or service you receive.

Mind you, half the 'unique' products on this page are bloody awful so maybe you are best just buying simple but effective.

If everyone had a unique design/mould the pricing would probably be in accessible and there would be no cheap entry bikes that look any good.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I contacted Ribble about the R872 and they led me to believe they had a major involvement in designing that frame but who knows.

When someone like RIbble says they had major involvement in designing what amounts to an open-mould frame, what they mean is, they picked the colours it comes in, and exactly how cheap a carbon layup they want to use.
    Markwb79 wrote:

If everyone had a unique design/mould the pricing would probably be in accessible and there would be no cheap entry bikes that look any good.

That's the beauty of trickle-down tech ... from frames, to wheels and groupo's there's loads of good, cheap-ish products that have tech from older (and sometimes newer) products from which the consumer benefits. Only benefit of 'mouldy' frames is the price.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited August 2014

In a test of made-to-measure shirts, Which?, the consumer watchdog, found that Marks & Spencer's £30 service was twice as good as a shirt from 40 Savile Row, a retailer based on London's most famous street for tailoring. This shirt costs £165.50.
    http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/article/TMG3484320/MandS-30-made-to-measure-shirt-beats-Savile-Row-rival.html
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Markwb79 wrote:

That's the beauty of trickle-down tech ... from frames, to wheels and groupo's there's loads of good, cheap-ish products that have tech from older (and sometimes newer) products from which the consumer benefits. Only benefit of 'mouldy' frames is the price.

Got to disagree with that.

You say that as if the 'mouldy' frames are just some guy making it up as they go along.

I would suggest that 'mouldy' frames are designed by using exactly the trickle down approach you just mentioned.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • frenchfighter
    SE14RIBSPORTIVERAC_1_zoom.jpg
    71381.jpg

Its the R872. The colours on the De Rosa hide the lines but you can see it fairly clearly. Checking the geometry figures match.
    SE14RIBCAMPR872_1_zoom.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I believe they are the same mould but not the same layup
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Paul 8v wrote:

Why would they use a different layup in the same mould? You already have something that works, the manufacturer(and the mould) are already geared to do it that way, the research(if you will) is already in place. Why bother to work up a new procedure? :?
  • Paul 8v
    Oakley to sponsor Tinkoff next year.
    Good, I wasn't a fan of thier current glasses as much as Oakley
  • Paul 8v
    dennisn wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Why would they use a different layup in the same mould? You already have something that works, the manufacturer(and the mould) are already geared to do it that way, the research(if you will) is already in place. Why bother to work up a new procedure? :?
    Sorry I meant a different grade of Carbon/Resin.
  • frenchfighter
    2015 Cipo Nuke:
    10577023_10204652206052105_3336304122386832992_n.jpg
    Hi res: http://ow.ly/i/6G8oi/original
    2015 Sarto Seta:
    10648945_746893625346361_5562899676201822217_o.jpg
    2015 Devo:
    10635720_943765292316877_8099901023584196880_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest