Man down ...me, again!

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Yep tiz true I'm currently lying in a hospital bed post surgery this morning after a low speed MTB accident yesterday afternoon.

Foolishly I decided to end my week/month by taking a nice gentle MTB in the hills around home, little did I know that the trails are now deep rutted mud pits, thanks to illegal scrambling some of the patches you can only just about walk let alone ride.

Well I rode as much as possible and would you believe right at the end of the off road section my wheel stuck in a rut and dropped me at slow speed to the side, I went down knee first.
I jumped up immediately and sure enough I has a tear right through to the knee cap.

Of course by now I'm 11 miles in and several miles from a road plus no phone signal, thank god I didn't break anything. So I cleaned up some of the gunk then pushed my bike to the road very slowly, after 10-15 thinking how the hell am I getting home I decided to ride, but first I need a makeshift bandage (armwarmers). All strapped up I descended painfully with plenty of claret for effect, what followed next was a painfully 11 mile hilly one legged recovery ride.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• itboffin
    Once home I showered and scrubbed the now gapping wound as best I could then had to wait for my wife to return home, 5 hours later the first hospital doesn't do xrays on the weekend so its off the the general A&E
    After 5.30 more of waiting xrays and general prodding I'm told they need to operate to remover the crap inside as its now getting infected, no shite!

Here I am lying in bed doped to the hilt, don't tell the UCI

Meh!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Ouch.

Enjoy the meds - Get well & hope you get back on the bike soon.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Is there pics...?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yeh get well soon and I hope the nurses are hot.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    Again? You must be on first name terms with most of the local NHS by now.

GWS.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Did you get them to fix your dodgy back whilst you were under? :-)

Get well soon - hope they've prescribed lots of bed rest so that you can watch the Tour.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • itboffin
    Is there pics...?

Naturally after all its me were talking about.

Oh I should also say thanks to the multitude of cyclists who stopped to asked if I was ok, one couple even gave me a bandage now that's well prepared.

I should also add no one walker stopped or asked

Safe for work and retention of lunch photo here
    https://twitter.com/itb0ffin/status/483254632614215681
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    itboffin wrote:

Safe for work and retention of lunch photo here
    https://twitter.com/itb0ffin/status/483254632614215681
    Picture of wound not make up required!

Good luck with it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I want to see the gash.....

on another note can we see a picture of the wound?

and get well soon
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This is what I like about ITB. He has all the accidents so we don't have to.

Get well soon.........R
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    GWS....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Hope you are going to be OK, get well soon!
  • itboffin
    I was just told I'll need to be here for at least 48 hrs

Yeah but no!

I've promised to be a good boy so they're letting me out of good behaviour tonight with yet more drugs.
  • itboffin
    I won't post the PIC on here its not very tasteful, follow that other twitter link the second PIC shows my third eye. The camera really doesn't do it justice, torn fresh right to the knee cap real hammer house of horror stuff.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I bet it's not as impressive as my gash was. :P
    I like the way when mountain biking you have hairy legs, can you not just swap in your shaved like a girl roadie legs and get going?
    If not I hope you heal fast. I'll drink some beer for you to aid the healing process.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    That looks very ow.

The Magnificat is out, but are you going to be OK for RideLondon?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    ouch, very painful. Get well soon :(
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    Yeah i'm at home now and nurse Duvel is looking after me, i also have even more pills to take and strict instructions to rest, so i figure a weeks tapering then light turbo just in time for the Magnificat, i'm under no illusion that any thoughts of a good top position again are well out of the window.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Owch!

Duvet time does sort a lot of stuff!
  • itboffin
    You meant Duvel right? :wink:

I've just taken 60 mg of codeine to top up the MASSHOOF amount of drugs the hospital gave me in the last 24 hrs - sleep time is very close :|
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Get well soon - sounds painful!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    GWS Boff.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I'm a really rubbish mountain biker. I have almost no skill whatever. However, due to the road riding, I can go really, really fast. This is not a good combination and last year led to a lovely stay with the local orthopods.

Get well soon, old chap. And for chuff's sake, stay on the roads like a gentleman.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Doddery old git. If you can't stay upright, stay indoors.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

Loving the sympathetic tone.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Loving the sympathetic tone.

Pfft. If you are soft on him, he'll never learn. He probably just crashes all the time so he can milk the forum sympathy......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Not another 'ITBoffin in hospital' thread - didn't we have one of these last week?

Sounds nasty - get well soon. Also perhaps consider taking up another sport - bowls perhaps.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • itboffin
    i do now know why proper off trail mtbers wear protection, this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/body-armour/ all makes sense now :roll:

and yes speed plus technical off road on bad surfaces is probably best avoided
  • whats with this rest thing youv'e got another leg you can ride one legged MTFU and get out there soldier :wink::mrgreen:

GWS and heal up buddy
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1