National Champs (not UK) 2014 *Spoilers"

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow the break may just nick this. How amazing would that be. OPQS giving their all but gap still there with 2km to go.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    1km and 10secs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    The Bel champs is a massive 250km.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Debusschere wins the Belgian bunch sprint
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Jens Debusschere wins the Belgian champs.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Very strong sprint from him. Seemed to be a few complaining, but I can't figure out why.
  • frenchfighter
    edited June 2014
    Disaster for cycling fans globally. OPQS shut it down for a sprint. But then Lotto rider Debusschere takes it.

Total shame on those riders. 250km and ends in a sprint. So much for Belgium racing prowess. Could'nt give two shi ts about that winner. Oh well I guess we will see the Belgium jersey riding the grupetto and collecting bottles for a year. I hate it when a lightweight wins these Nats.

Debusschere, Jans, Boonen, Lampaert, Van Staeyen.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    He was strong, took it up and led from the front.
  • above_the_cows
    OPQS if they'd wanted to win would have been better working in the break and have Steegmans take the sprint.

Oh well, that's cycling, the catch was made with only 500m to go.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Peter Sagan wins in Slovakia. You have to wonder why they bother.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Disaster for cycling fans globally. OPQS shut it down for a sprint. But then Lotto rider Debusschere takes it.

Total shame on those riders. 250km and ends in a sprint. So much for Belgium racing prowess. Could'nt give two shi ts about that winner. Oh well I guess we will see the Belgium jersey riding the grupetto and collecting bottles for a year. I hate it when a lightweight wins these Nats.

Debusschere, Jans, Boonen, Lampaert, Van Staeyen.
    I get the feeling you don't approve. Regardless of how it was played by other teams and how they might have ballsed up the winner took his chance and won. That's life. Good for him.
    A really ungracious comment. Unless you had money on it, then bad luck.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • frenchfighter
    Would you like to see the Nat jersey represented for any country, let alone cycling hotbed Belgium? I sure do. Get really excited. I wont get excited when this Deb guy will be riding small races and doing bottle duty.

Tbh even if Boonen won I would have hated on him...250km race full of Belgium racers which ends in a sprint is a total failure. As it stands he won the sprint well and rained on OPQS boring plan of a sprint.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Would you like to see the Nat jersey represented for any country, let alone cycling hotbed Belgium? I sure do. Get really excited. I wont get excited when this Deb guy will be riding small races and doing bottle duty.

Tbh even if Boonen won I would have hated on him...250km race full of Belgium racers which ends in a sprint is a total failure. As it stands he won the sprint well and rained on OPQS boring plan of a sprint.

Woah, careful mate.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    gsk82 wrote:
    Ah gee Valverde gifted it.

Why gsk82?

If you're going to gift someone a victory, dont roll in behind applauding. He might as well cross the line shouting "im the best, I let him win, look at me, im a great guy". The victory has no credibility.

Credibility is overrated in professional sport.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    @albertocontador · 2h
    Enhorabuena chicos!Congrats boys! @MichaelValgren @MichaelMorkov @tinkoff_saxo
    BrUHhaiIYAAJYqt.jpg

This is the boy that made a mark on the 4 Days of D. One to look out for. Racer.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    ^ Blimey he looks more like a rugby player than a cyclist.
  • frenchfighter
    “This is absolutely phenomenal. The final 50 kilometers were really intense and when I bridged across, I was fortunate to be able to stay behind in the wheel of Rasmus Guldhammer and reaching the front group I went the other way in a roundabout securing no one could take my wheel. From then on, I knew that Mortensen was chasing alone while Matti and Nicki stayed behind and I quickly develop a decent gap. I was actually pretty exhausted in the finale after having worked side by side with Chris Anker Sørensen but I must be in pretty good shape since I was able to maintain the gap. My first race in the national jersey will probably be San Sebastian or Tour of Denmark and of course, I’m looking to it,” said an excited Michael Valgren.

Lots of Tinkys in there.

1 Michael Valgren Andersen – Tinkoff – Saxo 04.25,58
    2 Michael Carbel Svendgaard – CULT Energy Vital Water 04.26,48
    3 Michael Mørkøv – Tinkoff-Saxo
    4 Rasmus Guldhammer Poulsen – Team TREFOR – Blue Water
    5 Martin Mortensen – CULT Energy Vital Water
    6 Daniel Foder – Team TREFOR – Blue Water
    7 Matti Breschel – Tinkoff-Saxo
    8 Alexander Kamp – Christina Watches-KUMA
    9 Nicki Sørensen – Tinkoff – Saxo
    10 Kasper Klostergaard – Riwal Cycling Team
    11 Emil Nygaard Vinjebo – CULT Energy Vital Water 04.26,54
    12 Magnus Cort Nielsen – CULT Energy Vital Water 04.27,32
    13 Morten Øllegaard – Riwal Cycling Team
    14 Sebastian Lander – BMC Racing Team
    15 Nicolaj Steen – Horsens Amatør Cykleklub
    16 Jesper Hansen – Tinkoff-Saxo
    17 Chris Anker Sørensen – Tinkoff-Saxo
    18 Martin Toft Madsen – Bornholm Pro Cycling 04.27,35
    19 Martin Grøn – Riwal Cycling Team 04.29,00
    20 Nikola Aistrup – Riwal Cycling Team 04.29,00
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    bettiniphoto_0179541_1_full.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    5th year in a row Rabobank/Blanco/Belkin don't manage to win the title at home

Infighting in Belgium in OPQS. Boonen angry at team management for giving poor information about time gaps. Steegmans (understandably) angry at rest of the team for chasing a break he was in
  • frenchfighter
    Frank Schleck won the Lux RR.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Ryan Mullen @ryanmullen9 · 15m
    National U23 TT champion, National U23 road race champion and National Elite road race champion.

I'm having a beer... Or 10.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    edited June 2014
    Congratulations Mullen. Hope that boy gets a ride in a good team.

I thought An Post was a good team! They just aren't a World Tour team or Saxo-Tinkoff or whatever they are called. They put three riders into the front group at the Irish Nationals today, drove it on and got the win. Not too shabby at all. Ryan Mullen is only 19 so a team like An Post is the perfect place for him to progress further before moving up to Pro Continental or WT team if that's where he is destined to go in the future.

P1010692_zps25b30823.jpg

I had the pleasure of speaking briefly with Dan Martin today and wish him good luck for the rest of his season. He joked that he was happy to get around today's race without falling off!

P1010694_zps6da9082b.jpg
    All photos are courtesy of Dolan Driver Photography (purveyor of the poorest quality race photos! :D ).

DD.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

How much competition did he have? Serious question with slight comedic undertones...
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    And did Andy manage to finish in the top 50?
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Am I right in thinking Trek now have the most Nat Champs Jerseys with 3?

Lotto, OGE & AG2R on 2 a piece.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    He was strong, took it up and led from the front.

Exactly. Get in.

Nice to see some of these pros get shafted. No-one has a right to expect a win; you have to earn the jersey
  • frenchfighter
    Mr Mullen is only 19. Wow, what a boss. I suppose you are right if he is that young - his current team is fine.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    TMR wrote:

How much competition did he have? Serious question with slight comedic undertones...

Well not much but sounds like he went full gas
    "That was a hard one! I liked it! I am always motivated for this race," Andy Schleck said after the race. "I had 310 average watts, and that's more than a Classic. I was very active, I felt really good. We knew that we had to make the race, and actually everything went as planned. We wanted to decimate the field and then try have one of the four of us win."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frank-s ... race-title

unnamed_670.jpg

Yes Frank looks like an idiot in the photo and his tattoo makes him more of an idiot.
    Contador is the Greatest