Wiggo broken hearted???

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I really hope Wiggo can land the World's TT this year.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This is way past stupid now.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Just can't help thinking that DB has got it badly wrong. Has he bowed down to Froome team selection demands? We probably won't know until the book comes out in 10 years time. I genuinely feel that Wiggins would have been a sensible selection: he is on form this year, has tactical ability, would have worked hard for the team on the flats, would have been there or thereabouts on the hills, featured (probably not won as Martin is flying) on the TTs, coped well with the cobbled stage and is the only possible "Plan B". Does Froome know this and therefore feel somewhat threatened? All the GC contender's teams are wise to Sky's tactics, Contador in particular must be relishing the contest.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I'm still amazed by this Ovett-Coe style tendency in British sport fans. You've had two Tour de France winners in two years, celebrate both.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    type:epyt wrote:
    I'm sure in the grand scheme of things Sky do to. Their highest wage earner can't be trusted to ride the biggest race of the year.

*sigh*

Yet another random account that needs nuking.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's completely unrealistic to expect a Tour winner to bury himself setting the table for Froome's attacks. No use at all for the profile: "...and Britain's Bradley Wiggins slipped out of the top 20 on today's stage". It could only work (personalities aside) if Wiggins was a viable Plan B. He hasn't been in that shape since the Olympics.

This entire escapade has been a charade, a pitiful use of a genuine sporting icon.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • bigcgilmour
    bigcgilmour Posts: 106
    "The point is that he can't be trusted to maintain an attitude of "I'll bury myself for Chris every day" during the Tour".

Again where is the evidence for this, a lot of people seem to be making things up! Who says he can't be trusted? Sky management?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The question is where next for Wiggins, if not Sky?

He was a reigning champion who was cruelly cast aside by his team who increasingly favoured his younger teammate in a battle of egos. Who could relate to that? Oh, hello Fernando Alonso.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    "The point is that he can't be trusted to maintain an attitude of "I'll bury myself for Chris every day" during the Tour".

Again where is the evidence for this, a lot of people seem to be making things up! Who says he can't be trusted? Sky management?

Froome in his book says he did not work for him in Oman 2013.
    "This was where we really needed him to take his turn and pull on the front and race hard. 'He's going to do it,' I thought. Then, suddenly, he seemed to remember a prior engagement. It literally looked as if he pulled the brakes. He swung out of the line and dropped off just as the second climb began. He hadn't done a pull or turn on the front. Maybe he'd left the gas on at home?"

Froome in the media criticised Brad (and most of the team including himself) for the shambles in Florence. Sir Wigs was first to climb off after being dropped by peloton a few hours in.
    Froome was asked afterwards whether Wiggins had done time at the front of the peloton... like Cavendish and Luke Rowe.

“Not that I saw,” said Froome. “I didn’t see what happened to Brad today. I think the only two guys who actually did anything on the GB side were Cav and Luke Rowe. I’d say they were the only ones who pulled their weight today, myself included.”
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycl ... 47439.html

They seem to have little time for each other and the two occasions they have rode together since TdF/Olympics 2012, Wiggins did not do his specified job. Once bitten, twice shy.

Or as Einstein put it: “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.” Brailsford's decision has taken into account the entire team's well-being.

As he said a week or so ago:
    “It’s not just Chris and Brad, you look at the whole group dynamic, you look at the whole dynamic of the team, you look at relationships and you look at how commitment is and how willing people are to sacrifice and suffer and give themselves for someone else’s benefit and the team’s benefit.

“That all comes into consideration. So it’s not just about maybe two people if there’s any friction, it’s about how that might affect the entire group, how that might affect the entire staffing team.

“You want a unified team who are absolutely going for the same goal if you want to be successful in this race and we’ll take that into consideration for sure.”

http://road.cc/content/news/121597-vide ... rrifically

And yesterday he told Sky Sports News his only consideration was picking a team to win the Tour.
    “My job is to look at the best probabilities for trying to win, and picture somebody on that podium with the yellow jersey on the Champs-Elysees, and then I work back from there.

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/ ... ris-froome
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    RichN95 wrote:

... reigning champion who was cruelly cast aside by his team who increasingly favoured his younger teammate in a battle of egos. Who could relate to that? Oh, hello Fernando Alonso.

The Alonso comparison is a good one on two,levels. Showing how a champion fights for his position rather than accepting his fate, but also it shows how disharmony destroys everything around it and ultimately costs an entire team the victory (that pit blocking incident was both genius and ultimate petulance rolled into one).

Frank Lampard would be another good comparison. Was due to be cast asunder by Chelsea but played so well that he had to be picked and then went on to make history for his club and in doing so earned a further year's contract.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    With Brailsford being so keen on marginal gains and the Chimp Paradox, This kind of all makes sense. Groups working together have a goal to achieve and the success of how well they work together is called task cohesion, success is usually higher (although not always) if the group all get on and have what is known as group cohesion. If group cohesion is very good, task cohesion is usually at its optimum level. If you put two big ego's intot he group you will end up with two camps, Froome's pals and Wiggo's pals. If Wiggo was to be an outsider to the group he wouldn't try (social loafing theory) despite what he may say otherwise.

I'm gutted he isn't riding though, but can understand the theories behind Brailsford's thinking. There are too many gambles from a performance and group dynamics point of you that it would have been a massive gamble to select him.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Wiggins never had a chance

14tt0mp.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    The most interesting thing I've read over the past few days re. Wiggo, is the fact he has unofficially clocked inside the ip world record after just a few weeks 'toying' with the boards.

Uncle Shane has turned his head and it's obvious he's going home.
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105

Now I why he looks and acts like a snake.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Shane Sutton also says he expects Wiggo back with Sky next year. I can't remember where I read it though.
  • sportvan
    Wiggins looks likes he's having a fine time watching the tennis:

http://sport.uk.msn.com/david-beckham-t ... 7#image=10

BC289D7B52863B1374C754F55CB4B_h498_w598_m2.jpg
  • sportvan
    Who's this ?

bikesnake2.jpg
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Wiggo AND Becks at the tennis? Wowee
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Tennis ffs! He's sold out and turned middle class.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    sportvan wrote:
    Wiggins looks likes he's having a fine time watching the tennis:

http://sport.uk.msn.com/david-beckham-t ... 7#image=10

BC289D7B52863B1374C754F55CB4B_h498_w598_m2.jpg

Ahhhhh i have that blazer he's wearing. My estimation went up until i saw the bizarre waistcoat. For that crime alone he surely he must sit out; that kind of mental weakness and poor decision making is a danger....
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    redshoes wrote:
    First post on BR. My site name Red shoes is my fav Kate Bush cd.
    To the matter in hand concerning Wiggins,,, I don't care he's a bit of tw%t.

many thanks
    Hi Ray!
    (triple comma the giveaway this time)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    see the Beeb are reporting he's out of the mens national road race today due to an unspecified injury...lifting too many burgers or strawberries and cream
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    awavey wrote:
    see the Beeb are reporting he's out of the mens national road race today due to an unspecified injury...lifting too many burgers or strawberries and cream

Dunno what Sky are up to with this press release but Wiggins said to the press on Thursday night that he wasn't going to ride today as he has track training tomorrow: http://www.velouk.net/2014/06/27/interv ... st-hurrah/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    redshoes wrote:

many thanks

Guess who's back...
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    sjmclean wrote:
    redshoes wrote:

many thanks

Guess who's back...

Back again.

Shady's back.

Tell some men.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TMR wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    redshoes wrote:

many thanks

Guess who's back...

Back again.

Shady's back.

Tell some men.

You're right, he was a shady character.
  • redshoes
    redshoes Posts: 11
    nic_77 wrote:
    redshoes wrote:

many thanks
    Hi Ray!
    (triple comma the giveaway this time)

My name is not ray but if it makes you happy. I'm not sure why you think I am someone else surely when he posts you will realise your mistake.

Kate bush song retort although not from the red shoes CD.
    wow wow wow wow wow wow unbelievable :)
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    r0bh wrote:
    awavey wrote:

Dunno what Sky are up to with this press release but Wiggins said to the press on Thursday night that he wasn't going to ride today as he has track training tomorrow: http://www.velouk.net/2014/06/27/interv ... st-hurrah/

That is weird. Everyone already knew he wasn't riding, it was ridely reported after the TT.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2014
    Let rayjoy stay. He wasn't so bad. He just fell in with that bad crowd from the Asylum when they turned up. Prior to that he was OK. Of course, he may have been radicalised by now.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Aside from the fact he should be racing his bike not watching tennis, he is looking very dapper in that photo.
    Contador is the Greatest