Wiggo broken hearted???

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Pross wrote:
    It's only since he announced he wouldn't be riding that his head has fallen off and he's started behaving like a spoiled brat again,

Other than losing time on stage 3 of Tour de Suisse and then falling off, what evidence is there that "his head has fallen off" and he's behaving badly?
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins ... -de-france

Uncle Shane ;
    1- Trying to get Brads head on for the Commonwealth Track, or
    2- Giving SKY a palatable alternative to TDF for average GB punter, or
    3- Sticking one to Sir Dave by saying "if you don't value him, I do"
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    adr82 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    None of that is really Wiggins fault though is it? As someone said above, everyone knew Wiggins would lead the team and if Froome genuinely believed he would be anything other than a back up in case of a 2011 repeat then he really is naive. The course was almost purpose built for Wiggins. Considering he got the leadership last year and won I'm not sure why the whole thing is still rumbling on and why Wiggins couldn't be part of the team this year. It's only since he announced he wouldn't be riding that his head has fallen off and he's started behaving like a spoiled brat again, a month ago he looked like he could do a good support job whilst being highly unlikely to threaten Froome's chances.
    I think his "head fell off" during the 2012 Tour, if not before. There was bad feeling between him and Froome during and after that event, then there was the whole Giro+Tour will he/won't he fiasco last year as well. Wiggins has basically been letting his mouth do the talking instead of his legs, and only has himself to blame for the situation he's in now IMO.

Yeah, because he was rubbish in P-R and ToC this year wasn't he. Oh, no he wasn't. His head has only fallen off since the terrible mismanagement of the Tour 2014 situation by Brailsford.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    r0bh wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I reckon where Wiggins went wrong in 2012 is he didn't show he was the alpha male. Communicating through management, threatening to go home just makes him look weak.

But he isn't an alpha male, and I don't think he has ever claimed to be. And please don't bring this back around to him being "weak". A weak person would not have the palmares he does.

Weak in dealing with people, that's all I meant. He was team leader, he should be the alpha male.

I just get the impression CF would've responded positively to that.

I don't really care one way or the other. The whole thing is a mountain of out of a molehill
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    iainf72 wrote:
    I don't really care one way or the other. The whole thing is a mountain of out of a molehill

On that I think we can agree!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    r0bh wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    None of that is really Wiggins fault though is it? As someone said above, everyone knew Wiggins would lead the team and if Froome genuinely believed he would be anything other than a back up in case of a 2011 repeat then he really is naive. The course was almost purpose built for Wiggins. Considering he got the leadership last year and won I'm not sure why the whole thing is still rumbling on and why Wiggins couldn't be part of the team this year. It's only since he announced he wouldn't be riding that his head has fallen off and he's started behaving like a spoiled brat again, a month ago he looked like he could do a good support job whilst being highly unlikely to threaten Froome's chances.
    I think his "head fell off" during the 2012 Tour, if not before. There was bad feeling between him and Froome during and after that event, then there was the whole Giro+Tour will he/won't he fiasco last year as well. Wiggins has basically been letting his mouth do the talking instead of his legs, and only has himself to blame for the situation he's in now IMO.

Yeah, because he was rubbish in P-R and ToC this year wasn't he. Oh, no he wasn't. His head has only fallen off since the terrible mismanagement of the Tour 2014 situation by Brailsford.
    Was Froome at PR or ToC? Oh no he wasn't. There wouldn't be a "situation" if not for Wiggins past and current behaviour, it's that simple.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

What firm evidence do you have that his contract actually said this? And they did support Froome's GC ambitions - at the 2012 Vuelta.

I did add an If in there. That's basically what the Froome book says - It was watered down from what he originally wanted (outright leader), and Saxo offered a deal where he'd lead in Giro / Vuelta which he rejected

The wording in the book is "support me in my ambitions at the Tour de FRance"

Froome's book is as exciting as he is; which is why I haven't bothered reading any more.

The Team have supported him in his ambitions, but it would be arrogant in the extreme for him to assume he could dictate the timing of that support.
  • TMR
    adr82 wrote:
    Was Froome at PR or ToC? Oh no he wasn't. There wouldn't be a "situation" if not for Wiggins past and current behaviour, it's that simple.

Yes, we get it. You love Froome. No need to spell it out any further.
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:
    Weak in dealing with people, that's all I meant. He was team leader, he should be the alpha male.

I just get the impression CF would've responded positively to that.

I disagree. He isn't weak, he's disinterested. That's not even close to being the same thing.
  • It was bad enough he didn't get an opportunity to ride as defending champion...he should be given an opportunity to ride in front of home fans, he has at the very least earned the right to that IMO.

We (3 families mob-handed) are going to see the start near Harewood House and we will be cheering for Wiggo even if he's not there! This seems to be a common plan even amongst the local hardcore cyclists who you might think would be more serious than us.

We'll also be cheering for Cav, of course.
  • TMR

Huzzah! :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    iainf72 wrote:
    I reckon where Wiggins went wrong in 2012 is he didn't show he was the alpha male. Communicating through management, threatening to go home just makes him look weak.

Froome is being 'guided' by a Saffa / Welsh female, I doubt even an alpha male silver-backed gorilla would scare him :wink:
  • TMR
    Pross wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Froome is being 'guided' by a Saffa / Welsh female, I doubt even an alpha male silver-backed gorilla would scare him :wink:

QFT.

She scares me and I've never even met her :(
  • TMR wrote:

It didn't really need saying, did it? :)
  • TMR
    TMR wrote:

No, but I am overflowing with TdF excitement today. I fear I may burst like a bloody balloon if I don't let some of it out! :mrgreen:
  • TMR wrote:
    TMR wrote:

No, but I am overflowing with TdF excitement today. I fear I may burst like a bloody balloon if I don't let some of it out! :mrgreen:

I know what you mean. We're finalising our plans to accommodate our guests and then get everyone to Harewood in good time and it all seems very real now. The new tarmac went down in April, the road closure signs are up and there are thousands of scarecrow bike riders on yellow bikes by the side of country lanes. Bring it on!

I think Le Grand Depart might even be a success without Sir Brad!
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    iainf72 wrote:
    I am still deliberating over the Froome book... Should I ?

It's very interesting I think. It won't change anyones mind but his backstory is fascinating

Kindle it is then... :)
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    It was bad enough he didn't get an opportunity to ride as defending champion...he should be given an opportunity to ride in front of home fans, he has at the very least earned the right to that IMO.

We (3 families mob-handed) are going to see the start near Harewood House and we will be cheering for Wiggo even if he's not there! This seems to be a common plan even amongst the local hardcore cyclists who you might think would be more serious than us.

I know of one group who have a bed sheet sized banner proclaiming 'Allez Wiggo!' They intend to seek out SKY Superfans Rusty & Kay on all three UK stages and put the banner up next to them as they always get coverage on the SKY Facebook page and are well recognised by the team :lol:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • TMR
    Coach H wrote:
    I know of one group who have a bed sheet sized banner proclaiming 'Allez Wiggo!' They intend to seek out SKY Superfans Rusty & Kay on all three UK stages and put the banner up next to them as they always get coverage on the SKY Facebook page and are well recognised by the team :lol:

Ha! That appeals to my devilish side :wink:
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Like all those Italians who still write ‘Pantani’ on the roads of the Giro. Living in the past.
  • Like all those Italians who still write ‘Pantani’ on the roads of the Giro. Living in the past.

Well Sir Brad is still alive and even if he's been on the beers since the Tour of California is worth a place in the Sky squad on merit. Somewhat different to the Pantani situation, one must admit.

Besides, I think it's fair to say that all bar a tiny minority cheering for Wiggo or waving Wiggo banners are just out to have a good laugh on a day out with family and/or friends. Our biggest concern is who is driving and who is partaking of the "sponsor's product"!
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    I don't understand what the people who are attending the actual stages think they are missing out on with Wiggins not riding. There'll be another cyclist barely recognisable amongst the peleton in sunglasses and a helmet to cheer along.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,390
    edited June 2014
    type:epyt wrote:
    I don't understand what the people who are attending the actual stages think they are missing out on with Wiggins not riding. There'll be another cyclist barely recognisable amongst the peloton in sunglasses and a helmet to cheer along.

I don't think anyone think's they're missing out with Wiggo not riding as such. It's just that Sir Brad is very popular with the masses given his Olympic and Tour winning pedigree and his rather quirky personality, and on balance, folk think it's a "bit off" that he's not riding.

It's "Allez Wiggo" from me, even if he's allezing to the bar.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    with you there...the worst place to see a cyclist in a race is the roadside....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

Agreed. But we want to be able to say we saw the Tour in God's Own County, not on telly. You can watch it on telly every year.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    TMR wrote:
    adr82 wrote:

Yes, we get it. You love Froome. No need to spell it out any further.
    Not really. True, I do think the amount of criticism directed at Froome is way over the top considering his part in the whole thing, but the main point is that Wiggins has been behaving badly and not doing his own popularity any good at all. Froome is only relevant in this discussion because of his relationship (or lack of one) with Wiggins and because of their respective positions within Sky, not because Froome is to me what Contador is to Frenchie or something like that.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    edited June 2014
    I don't understand what the people who are attending the actual stages think they are missing out on with Wiggins not riding. There'll be another cyclist barely recognisable amongst the peloton in sunglasses and a helmet to cheer along.

I don't think anyone think's they're missing out with Wiggo not riding as such. It's just that Sir Brad is very popular with the masses given his Olympic and Tour winning pedigree and his rather quirky personality and on balance, folk think it's a "bit off" that he's not riding.

It's "Allez Wiggo" from me, even if he's allezing to the bar.

I don't buy into this 'personality' malarky. Wiggins acts like the awkward kid at school who is the class clown to hide his faults. The public don't really have a clue about Wiggins' personality, just a few like to pretend they do and think that he is 'cool'. The masses also provide folks like Chris Tarrant and Noel Edmonds with a healthy income based on their 'personalities'. Hardly a glowing endorsement.

Wiggins' on bike achievements (the positive ones anyway) are worth applauding (rather than celebrating) though.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

Thats a bit deflating. Here we are looking forward to the Tour, the greatest anual sporting event in the World in our back yard, and you have to try and spoil it. :(

A big part of the reason that cycling and cyclists are not the poor relations anymore is down to Wiggins, love or hate him he has a profile, for a sportsman, that goes far beyond cycling fans. Cycling is regurlaly on the news, in a good way, more people are cycling and watching races. Give the guy a break, this race is in his home county, I'm not surprised both he and the fans are dissapointed.
  • type:epyt wrote:
    I don't buy into this 'personality' malarky. Wiggins acts like the awkward kid at school who is the class clown to hide his faults. The public don't really have a clue about Wiggins' personality, just a few like to pretend they do and think that he is 'cool'. The masses also provide folks like Chris Tarrant and Noel Edmonds with a healthy income based on their 'personalities'. Hardly a glowing endorsement.

That's a bit deep for me. I just like the bloke as he comes over on the telly and in print, imperfect as he may be and would prefer it if he was on the Sky roster for the Grand Depart. I might dislike him intensely if I met him in real life, obviously!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:

Agreed. But we want to be able to say we saw the Tour in God's Own County, not on telly. You can watch it on telly every year.

True dat

Watching a RACE is excellent, but watching a RIDER is (usually) rubbish
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver