Wiggo broken hearted???

Comments

• type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    edited June 2014
    (video post failure)
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Pross wrote:
    6. They wanted him at California as he's the teams biggest draw on that side of the pond and they had a major US sponsor to keep happy.

Reality is he's the biggest draw this side also...

From what I can see this isn't about performance - he has shown performances that merit selection, it's about personalities clashing...which is a shame as I really fail to understand how that couldn't be reconciled... There's perhaps more to it than is let on

I don't think it's that difficult from the perspective of SKY trying to win the Tour. From a marketing point of view it's a whole different thing and I for that i think he should be there.

Wiggins has shown enough in the past that he needs a big goal to be able to put in the work in order to get a result. I can't see him being motivated to bury himself for someone he clearly dislikes intensly.
    and no, I don't think he can win the Tour.
  • inseine wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    6. They wanted him at California as he's the teams biggest draw on that side of the pond and they had a major US sponsor to keep happy.

Reality is he's the biggest draw this side also...

From what I can see this isn't about performance - he has shown performances that merit selection, it's about personalities clashing...which is a shame as I really fail to understand how that couldn't be reconciled... There's perhaps more to it than is let on

I don't think it's that difficult from the perspective of SKY trying to win the Tour. From a marketing point of view it's a whole different thing and I for that i think he should be there.

Wiggins has shown enough in the past that he needs a big goal to be able to put in the work in order to get a result. I can't see him being motivated to bury himself for someone he clearly dislikes intensly.
    and no, I don't think he can win the Tour.

Would be interested to know what the carrot was for this season then - he's put the work in to get decent results at Roubaix and Cali...

TBH I'm a huge fan of his, and he was a big inspiration in the past, though even I'm getting weary about it all really..! cannot wait for the team to be announced and then all the chatter can be put to bed hopefully! :lol:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Would be interested to know what the carrot was for this season then - he's put the work in to get decent results at Roubaix and Cali...
    I think he genuinely wanted to win in Roubaix and and for Cali I think he still thought he was in with a shout of a Tour spot.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    But what becomes of the broken hearted?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Like Iain I do wonder whether he ever really wanted to ride the TdF. I can imagine the 3 days in England were appealing, but whether in his mind that would balance out riding around France as a domestique for 3 weeks...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    It'll be interesting to see what has gone on if and when the truth comes out. Who knows, maybe Wiggins really is just ill at the moment - I mean Porte and Froome have had poor form at times this year and nobody has come out and accused them of soft pedalling. We come to conclusions based on our best guess but in truth unless someone has access to the individuals themselves we could be wrong. If this was football the press would be all over it and we'd know for sure.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Daz555 wrote:
    I think he genuinely wanted to win in Roubaix and and for Cali I think he still thought he was in with a shout of a Tour spot.

agreed... the turn of events happened post Cali
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    It'll be interesting to see what has gone on if and when the truth comes out. Who knows, maybe Wiggins really is just ill at the moment - I mean Porte and Froome have had poor form at times this year and nobody has come out and accused them of soft pedalling. We come to conclusions based on our best guess but in truth unless someone has access to the individuals themselves we could be wrong. If this was football the press would be all over it and we'd know for sure.

I concur. I live in hope
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

The difference is that Wiggins has form for glass cranking when he's not happy, so it's not an unreasonable conclusion to make.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • sy1975
    sy1975 Posts: 95
    People feeling sorry for him are wasting their own pity. He's getting paid an awful lot of money to toddle around Switzerland feeling sorry for himself while putting in less than 100%.

ditto
    Sunny Days - De Rosa - King RS Action Azzurro lumina
    Rain - Winter - Wilier - xp izoard "petacchi"
    Classic - 1999 De Rosa - Planet - Aluminio
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Imagine the disruption it causes in the team if he is taking it easy. What message does it send to the guys on the squad earning 1/10 of what he gets, while being asked to ride themselves into the ground as a domestique? We've all probably experienced something similar at work where senior members of staff walk around and do very little, yet the low paid staff are expected to ditch their social life for long hard days and little reward. Resentment builds quickly and in a small company (which Team Sky effectively is), which can cause major problems pretty quickly.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yep, with Rich on this one. I'd even say Froome came out mentally ahead of Contador.

Seriously, a man of your experience should not be confusing the newer members of the forum with this smokescreen.

Froome is strong mentally I would have to say to his credit but Contador is the master. El Pistelero was out for a play in the Dauphine. Froome went in super serious.

610x-42-2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    When did Schleck ride for Astana??
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yep, with Rich on this one. I'd even say Froome came out mentally ahead of Contador.

Seriously, a man of your experience should not be confusing the newer members of the forum with this smokescreen.

Just calling it how I see it.

Contador attacked downhill, which to me indicated nerves about taking on Froome uphill. And on the final day he was slower up the final climb than Talansky. His face said he was disappointed.

I doubt it's keeping him awake at night but there is nowhere he struck a mental blow against Froome
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    iainf72 wrote:
    Seems to me Contador sans team put away Froome and Sky's top squad. If Contador hadn't hesitated on the last stage he'D have won GC easily. I think he'll be happier than Froome - in the version I saw he cracked on the last day....
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    iainf72 wrote:

Froome is strong mentally I would have to say to his credit but Contador is the master. El Pistelero was out for a play in the Dauphine. Froome went in super serious.

610x-42-2.jpg

Spot on FF. Froome will be worried about the 3rd week and his ability to recover. Don't forget last year he lost time to Quintana etc. He will have no TT time gap going into the 3rd week. If all of the GC contenders go into the 3rd week without any issues I think Froome will struggle. Contador will be looking forward to it.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    I doubt it's keeping him awake at night but there is nowhere he struck a mental blow against Froome

Apart from being in the big ring and holding Froome's wheel with ease when Froome was going 150% on the first encounter, dropping him conclusively on the second encounter and then blowing him apart on the third encounter?

FYI, Contador's climb was not too dissimilar to Talansky but had made up 1.45 mins on Nieve solo. 1.45 in 20odd km solo = ridiculously strong.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    iainf72 wrote:

Apart from being in the big ring and holding Froome's wheel with ease when Froome was going 150% on the first encounter, dropping him conclusively on the second encounter and then blowing him apart on the third encounter?

FYI, Contador's climb was not too dissimilar to Talansky but had made up 1.45 mins on Nieve solo. 1.45 in 20odd km solo = ridiculously strong.
    Suspiciously strong with his track record!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • tuneskyline
    poppit wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Suspiciously strong with his track record!

Froome was suspiciously strong when he beat Contador in that first stage,,, we can all do it....I mean come on ain't we past all this....It's boring and this thread is about Wiggo and I for one apologise for going so far off topic.
    Let's get back on topic or if you want to start a thread about doping then go ahead zzzzzzzzzzzzz they just go round in circles you know.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Anyone who has been watching cycling for any reasonable length of time knows that drawing conclusions about Tour from the Dauphine is a largely futile exercise?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    RichN95 wrote:
    Anyone who has been watching cycling for any reasonable length of time knows that drawing conclusions about Tour from the Dauphine is a largely futile exercise?

Yeah but, my guy's faster than your guy and my dad's bigger too....
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    RichN95 wrote:

Yep. Janez Brajkovic won the Dauphiné ahead of Contador in 2010. When it came to the Tour (scandal aside), Contador was much better.
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:

You dont go from sub-par to hero in a few weeks unassisted. So yes you can take pointers from it but cannot extrapolate. It is easier with top names who can hold form for much longer than a less good rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited June 2014
    RichN95 wrote:

That's because conclusions weren't the only things being drawn from the Dauphine. They're supposed to have stopped all that malarky now. Looked like at least one of them was going 100%.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Remarkable wrote:
    Janez Brajkovic won the Dauphiné ahead of Contador in 2010.
    You dont go from sub-par to hero in a few weeks unassisted.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:

You dont go from sub-par to hero in a few weeks unassisted. So yes you can take pointers from it but cannot extrapolate. It is easier with top names who can hold form for much longer than a less good rider.
    But all the big names had reasonable form. Some a little better than others. No-one was brilliant, no-one was awful.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Remarkable wrote:
    Janez Brajkovic won the Dauphiné ahead of Contador in 2010.
    You dont go from sub-par to hero in a few weeks unassisted.

You need to try harder than this.
    FYI coming second is not sub-par. Neither is winning the overall in: Volta ao Algarve, Paris - Nice, Vuelta a Castilla y Leon and five stages (not to mention the multiple of podiums).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tuneskyline
    back on topic brady-wiggins-courtesy-of-2013-giro-del-trentino.jpg
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Wiggo burnt his boats last season with his fall from grace and performance in the rain. If he wants to regain top place and respect then he has to earn it and clearly the team management don't believe he's there. You can't mega sulk then expect your backers to reward you - in any aspect of life.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP