Canyon Endurace CF

Comments

• adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    TheHound wrote:
    greencode wrote:
    Received my bike the other day but just wondering if I got the sizing right. I've not had a chance as yet to go for a test ride as my back went 'ping' the other day and I've been in a fair bit of pain ever since!

Just to go over the measurements as per the system on the Canyon site:
    Height: 178cm
    Weight: 82kg
    Inseam: Between 82cm and 84cm (depending on how tight I do this!!)
    Torso: 68cm
    Shoulder: 46cm
    Arm length: 69cm

This then puts me on the edge of the Small or Medium (I always seem to be in between sizes for everything). I ordered a Medium as I thought I might be a bit cramped on the Small but not sure this is correct. As I've not seen the Small I find it very difficult to judge between the two size.

I didn't know whether I should get a professional bike-fit to see what that comes out with.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

I'm pretty much the same measurements, maybe a bit taller and lighter.

Get the small. I have a 56 caad8 which feels too big. Comparing the geometry the small endurace seems right and is what Canyon says I should get.

It's easier to make a small bike size up than the reverse.

Greencode would be a medium in an Endurance. I've got a Supersix size 56 and it's medium/large with a sporting riding position. The endurance is more upright. The idea that someone of 5' 10" would ride such a machine in a small is absurd !
  • Fraggy
    Fraggy Posts: 12
    A bit of digging reveals that the R24 Spline wheels weigh 1735g, and the R23 Spline wheels weigh 1605g.

That seems to account for over half of the 200g weight difference between the CF 8.0 and CF 9.0 that Canyon quote, and which therefore doesn't seem to include most of the 200g difference between the 105 and Ultegra groupsets.

I know this isn't Weight Weenies, but has anyone actually weighed their new bike yet? :)
    I suspect that the CF 8.0 probably weighs closer to 7.7kg, rather than 7.5kg...

Hey mate. Have you had a chance to weight your endurace 8.0? What's the result?
  • Not yet, been too busy riding it :)
  • I weighed my bike today (Medium) and it's 8.14kg including Shimano 105 SL 5700 pedals (which weigh in at 320 grams)
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    adamfo wrote:
    Greencode would be a medium in an Endurance. I've got a Supersix size 56 and it's medium/large with a sporting riding position. The endurance is more upright. The idea that someone of 5' 10" would ride such a machine in a small is absurd !

Perhaps Check the stack and reach measurements between them before declaring things absurd.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • I think the sizing for this bike has to be spot on. Many people could go either way - I was told and recommended to go with a medium with a 110mm stem by canyon - but there is quite a jump either way in size.

I took a medium and I have struggled to enjoy the bike as the fit just isn't great, despite it being closer to my old bike than a Large would have been.

I am thus considering selling my Endurace 9.0 Pro Size M (Campag Chorus groupset - 110mm stem) . It's only done 100 miles over 4 rides. Haven't made my mind up entirely but would be willing to listen to sensible offers. This is basically a brand new bike. Tyres still have the excess rubber on and it's only been out in completely dry weather. (Winter turned up rather abruptly on Merseyside!)

Or, if anyone has the same issue with the same bike I would consider a straight swap for a large frame set.
  • Danlw88 wrote:
    I think the sizing for this bike has to be spot on. Many people could go either way - I was told and recommended to go with a medium with a 110mm stem by canyon - but there is quite a jump either way in size.

I took a medium and I have struggled to enjoy the bike as the fit just isn't great, despite it being closer to my old bike than a Large would have been.

I am thus considering selling my Endurace 9.0 Pro Size M (Campag Chorus groupset - 110mm stem) . It's only done 100 miles over 4 rides. Haven't made my mind up entirely but would be willing to listen to sensible offers. This is basically a brand new bike. Tyres still have the excess rubber on and it's only been out in completely dry weather. (Winter turned up rather abruptly on Merseyside!)

Or, if anyone has the same issue with the same bike I would consider a straight swap for a large frame set.

Is it that you feel a little cramped on the smaller bike? I was in the same position as you i.e. 1cm variation and the PPS put me on either a Small or Medium. I went for the Medium and looking at measurements etc etc I think I made the right choice i.e to go for the slightly larger bike as the Small probably would have mean me being a little hunched up and bending down a bit too much at the front and therefore totally against what the bike is designed for.

Unfortunately I put my back out as the bike arrived so it's just sitting in the shed at the moment awaiting the first ride :(
  • Hi greencode.
    Yes I do feel a little too cramped on the upper part of the bike.
    I was 1/2cm leg length in to a size large so based on my PPS the canyon agent suggested that a longer stem on a medium would still give me a good fit and an option to drop the bars to get a more racey position come summer.
    This was sound advice and I don't hold canyon responsible at all as it was my reckoning too. I can again try a longer stem to spread me out a little more but I don't think a stem replacement is really a great way to combat an ill fitting bike. For some it may be fine but it's just not the way I like to go. I know some pro's prefer a bike too small to achieve a low position and make the length up with a stem, but I'm not a pro and my bike isn't disposable!
  • Danlw88 wrote:
    Hi greencode.
    Yes I do feel a little too cramped on the upper part of the bike.
    I was 1/2cm leg length in to a size large so based on my PPS the canyon agent suggested that a longer stem on a medium would still give me a good fit and an option to drop the bars to get a more racey position come summer.
    This was sound advice and I don't hold canyon responsible at all as it was my reckoning too. I can again try a longer stem to spread me out a little more but I don't think a stem replacement is really a great way to combat an ill fitting bike. For some it may be fine but it's just not the way I like to go. I know some pro's prefer a bike too small to achieve a low position and make the length up with a stem, but I'm not a pro and my bike isn't disposable!

I know what you mean. I always seem to be between sizes for everything!! Good luck with getting it resolved.
  • smbm
    smbm Posts: 37
    Ditto. I'm about 1cm between XS and Small because of my 80cm inseam and need for a ~69cm saddle height.

I'm waiting for an XS to be sent out to replace the Small. I'm going to build it up and see how it feels in the living room, I suspect that this may get sent back too.

Hope you get it sorted.
  • I'm also about 80 cm inseam (maybe 79 to 81 depending on how tight i do the measurement) putting me between XS and S. I ordered the S size last weekend because I wanted it to be more comfortable than racy. The only thing is that I hope i can get the saddle low enough to fit the length of my legs. I will post my experiences after it arrived.
  • smbm
    I hope you get it to fit. IME it's is not possible to go below 70cm with the VCLS 2 seat post.

May be worth measuring your current set up and seeing where you're likely to need it.

If you do have to send it back, I found it quite a faff getting everything back in the box perfectly.

Good luck.
  • smbm wrote:
    I found it quite a faff getting everything back in the box perfectly.

This is a good guide on how to get it back in the box: https://media.canyon.com/download/anleitungen/correct_packing_for_transport_roadbike.pdf
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    PeeeJ wrote:

A word of warning if you do get the aluminum one... watch you don't over-tighten the headset. I managed to shear the plastic top cap in two applying what I thought was very little force. I've never used a plastic top cap before and might have always been over-tightening alloy ones, I don't know. But it seemed to happen very easily. Canyon, for all the internet talk of bad service, have been very good about it- they're posting a replacement for free.

You've probably always been over-tightening. The role of the top cap is to preload the bearings. Once this is done and the stem is clamped, you could take the bolt out altogether...

http://www.norco.com/news/2009/12/tech-guide-how-do-i-tighten-my-headset/
  • I am also 5ft 7 with an inside leg of around 79 so in the middle between S & XS. What is the 70cm measurement referring to?
  • smbm
    Sorry, I wrote that in a hurry earlier. 70cm is the minimum centre of bottom bracket to top of saddle height on the small frame with the VCLS 2 seat post.

I needed ~68cm to keep my physiotherapist happy (lower limb anatomy problems, awaiting surgery). So have swapped my small for an XS to try for size.

I hope to be able to raise the saddle up slightly as my limbs adjust but for the moment I am well and truly stuck between sizes.
  • Hi smbm,

Thanks for the reply. I measured my mountainbike (bought from Canyon three years ago) and there is around 68cm between the middle of the bottom bracket and the top of the seat and it around 68cm. I re-measured my inside leg and 78cm is probably a more accurate figure.

According to Canyon's PPS I should get an XS, therefore I am going to order a Endurace CF 8.0 in XS. I will post on here how I get on with it once it arrives.

Peter
  • Hi guys as discussed earlier I have decided to sell my Size Meduim Canyon with campy groupo. Anyone interested in getting this bike at a snip of the retail price then please see my sale thread.

Lovely bike and really only want a size large than a new bike. So if anyone has a large frameset they would like to swap for a medium I would also do that.

Cheers guys and girls.

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12996005
  • mrtn
    mrtn Posts: 24
    Danlw88 wrote:
    Out of curiosity, would you be willing to consider a frame set swap if we were to decide it would benefit us both? - I'm not suggesting it immediately but it would be reassuring to know that this may be an option.

Hi Danlw88,

Sorry for a delayed reply to your previous question (been away from the forum for some time). I have decided to keep my L size. A size smaller comes with too much drop in the handlebar, I'm afraid, considering I have kept the spacers below the stem on mine and don't feel like being in a more aggressive position.

Thanks for describing your experience. Hope you get it sold/swapped.

best
  • smbm
    My XS has arrived and I'm pretty happy with it. I think I'm going to ride it.

The smaller cranks may take some getting used to but I have had the bars and stem swapped so it doesn't feel too cramped or low in the front end. It measures up very similarly to my Small Giant Defy.

I also have a small toe overlap but I had that before on the Giant and seemed to cope okay then.

I hope everyone finds the bikes they are after and gets the sizing that they want :)
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Can we see some of these s and xs setup please ?
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • smbm
    I'll see what I can do this evening after work.
  • Fraggy
    Have you guys seen the new endurace models?

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/se ... ce-cf.html

I'm still thinking if i should go for the ritchey 105 components..
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    new models have kept the awesome value! Not too bothered by the Canyon components. Can't see the Campag option though.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Been out for a few short rides and absolutely loving the bike. Went ahead and purchased the Medium (I'm 178cm tall with a 82ish inside leg). I was bordering on the Small and Medium so was really nervous that I'd gone ahead and got the wrong size but the small would have been wayyy too small.

First impressions are that it looks great (much better than the website), really quick and very smooth. The 105 groupset is a real step up to my old Tiagra.
  • Hi Endurace owners.

What's the max tyre size you can squeeze into these frames?

And is there answer to the seasonal protection problem? Guards. Raceblades?

ta.
  • smbm
    krogort wrote:
    I've got an annoying issue with my front mech (ultegra 6800) on my new Endurace.

Basicaly no matter how I use the trim or play with the cable tension adjustment, the front mech is always rubbing against the chain on either big front+rear ring or small front+rear ring, so straight chain.

The cable was not set up according to shimano spec. See picture below :
    WRu8Vvwl.png
    I fixed that, didn't seem to help.

Also I don't know if it's normal or not but when I'm on lower gear, I can L-Trim the front mech an infinite ammount of time and still feel the "click" in the lever.
    On my previous bike (105 5700) it only clicked once.

I suppose that since the inner part of the cage is made of rubber, it's less of an issue if the chain rub slightly against it and will eventualy wear it enough so that it doesn't rub anymore. Right ?

Finaly figured it out after placing the cable in the correct position and spraying some WD40 on the mech.
    Can't go completely cross chain on the big ring but good enough for 10 out of 11 sprockets.

I have just resolved the same issue with my 5800 Endurace. I'd advise everyone to check theirs if they're having front mech problems.

Other than that, due to a busy family life I've only managed to ride mine once. It was pretty excellent though.

Still waiting to have it side by side with my Giant (which is in a lock up) for comparison pictures.

I've never used GP4000S IIs before, how is everyone finding them as a winter tyre? I've put the GP4S from my old bike on for the moment but they are pretty old and will need replacing before summer next year.
  • Nesfyl
    Nesfyl Posts: 24
    I received mine this morning, quickly assembled it and went out for a 45km ride. I'll start with the no-so-positive:
    - Bike has two small kinks on the frame, one down at the front dropouts and one by the side of the downtube on the letter 'C'. None of them are really offensive, but it could easily be a case of complain and a frame swap. I can't be bothered though. They are of little significance, even though they could potentially affect the resale value of the bike.
    - Both brake calipers were not set up properly. Blocks were a bit out of alignment with the wheel and (especially the rear) needed rotation.
    - Both wheels are a little out of true. Nothing major, they're just not exactly straight, which would not be detectable if there wasn't for the brakes issue.

Now to the good ones:
    - Bike looks stunning - pictures do not do it justice. I ordered the cyan version, and it's simply beautiful. It also matches the grey of the Ultegra groupset perfectly.
    - The stem I received is not the Ritchey one (even though the bars are) but the Canyon 'V13' one. It looks bloody nice with its boxy appearance and it's also very stiff.
    - Wheels hubs spin nicely and the whole structure feels stiff and planted. I was a little worried they they would be wobbly, but it's not the case. Dare I say they also look good, even though I am not sold yet on the appearance of the 25c tyres on that rim. They just have too much volume. I suppose I'll get used to it.
    - The ride quality is unbelievable. Granted, my previous bike had an Alu frame and Ksyrium wheels (another Canyon) so any carbon frame would probably be more comfortable, but we're talking a very big difference. You don't notice it first because the bike transmits all information from the road, but they somehow come back muted - filtered out. Eventually I was able to fly over sections of broken road I always backed off before, which made me essentially go faster on particular sections without necessarily pushing harder. In fact I felt much better when I got back home because of the lack of vibrations. I suppose this is down to the frame, seatpost (that VCLS 2.0 must be doing something), rim and tyres, but it's impossible to tell how or what makes all this difference.
    - The quality of the finishing in general is superb (apart from those kinks I mentioned) - the bike has an air of an expensive and refined machine, and it attracted plenty of looks from other cyclists, pedestrians and motorists.
    - It's also very stiff when pedalling out of the saddle. It's stiff where it matters - bottom bracket and headset. The feeling of acceleration when pushing hard is exhilarating, this is no sofa ride, push as I might I always felt the bike delivered. I have not tested it on any serious climb but I intend to over the next few days. I expect it to perform equally well.
    - The tyres, frame and wheels provide tons of grip. Cornering was a breeze, lean as much as you want, the bike just follows along.

Overall I am very pleased. I would consider the bike complete and in no need of any upgrades. If I were to replace anything that would probably be the wheels, but they are more than adequate - and performed way better than I though they would.

Bravo Canyon, the wait was worth it.
  • Fraggy
    Nesfyl wrote:
    I received mine this morning, quickly assembled it and went out for a 45km ride. I'll start with the no-so-positive:
    - Bike has two small kinks on the frame, one down at the front dropouts and one by the side of the downtube on the letter 'C'. None of them are really offensive, but it could easily be a case of complain and a frame swap. I can't be bothered though. They are of little significance, even though they could potentially affect the resale value of the bike.
    - Both brake calipers were not set up properly. Blocks were a bit out of alignment with the wheel and (especially the rear) needed rotation.
    - Both wheels are a little out of true. Nothing major, they're just not exactly straight, which would not be detectable if there wasn't for the brakes issue.

Now to the good ones:
    - Bike looks stunning - pictures do not do it justice. I ordered the cyan version, and it's simply beautiful. It also matches the grey of the Ultegra groupset perfectly.
    - The stem I received is not the Ritchey one (even though the bars are) but the Canyon 'V13' one. It looks bloody nice with its boxy appearance and it's also very stiff.
    - Wheels hubs spin nicely and the whole structure feels stiff and planted. I was a little worried they they would be wobbly, but it's not the case. Dare I say they also look good, even though I am not sold yet on the appearance of the 25c tyres on that rim. They just have too much volume. I suppose I'll get used to it.
    - The ride quality is unbelievable. Granted, my previous bike had an Alu frame and Ksyrium wheels (another Canyon) so any carbon frame would probably be more comfortable, but we're talking a very big difference. You don't notice it first because the bike transmits all information from the road, but they somehow come back muted - filtered out. Eventually I was able to fly over sections of broken road I always backed off before, which made me essentially go faster on particular sections without necessarily pushing harder. In fact I felt much better when I got back home because of the lack of vibrations. I suppose this is down to the frame, seatpost (that VCLS 2.0 must be doing something), rim and tyres, but it's impossible to tell how or what makes all this difference.
    - The quality of the finishing in general is superb (apart from those kinks I mentioned) - the bike has an air of an expensive and refined machine, and it attracted plenty of looks from other cyclists, pedestrians and motorists.
    - It's also very stiff when pedalling out of the saddle. It's stiff where it matters - bottom bracket and headset. The feeling of acceleration when pushing hard is exhilarating, this is no sofa ride, push as I might I always felt the bike delivered. I have not tested it on any serious climb but I intend to over the next few days. I expect it to perform equally well.
    - The tyres, frame and wheels provide tons of grip. Cornering was a breeze, lean as much as you want, the bike just follows along.

Overall I am very pleased. I would consider the bike complete and in no need of any upgrades. If I were to replace anything that would probably be the wheels, but they are more than adequate - and performed way better than I though they would.

Bravo Canyon, the wait was worth it.

Good review. Did you order one with ritchey or canyon cockpit?
  • Nesfyl
    Nesfyl Posts: 24
    Fraggy wrote:

Good review. Did you order one with ritchey or canyon cockpit?

I ordered the Ritchey one. When I had placed my order the versions with Canyon components were not available. The stem is Canyon, bars are Ritchey.