Dauphine *spoilers*

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I guess we'll see tomorrow.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Contador was a bit scatty on the bike but at some points he did look like he had a little bit left in the tank.
    If Contador had gone last and got Froome's times he may well have been just as quick. We are only talking about a few seconds. I will be more interested to see how Contador handles Froome in the mountains.
    Last year he attacked and got brought back and was counter attacked. This time I wonder if he will let Froome make the first move or wait until other riders attack. There are other riders don't forget :lol:
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    8 seconds at that race length is a margin. Prior to that, the entire top ten wasn't separated by much more than 8 seconds, so don't under-estimate it. Froome and Wiggins were always better at longer TT's you get all sorts of people who can do OK in a short TT but are nowhere in a long one.

Personally I think Froome is going to be up there with Brad in TT ability in this years tour, he has the numbers to do so, his position likely isn't any less aero than Wiggins, ergo he should be going just about as fast.

I would imagine he is going to batter contador all summer, thing is, will he put them all to the sword as early as tomorrow? I wouldn't put it past him...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Contador was a bit scatty on the bike but at some points he did look like he had a little bit left in the tank.
    If Contador had gone last and got Froome's times he may well have been just as quick. We are only talking about a few seconds. I will be more interested to see how Contador handles Froome in the mountains.
    Last year he attacked and got brought back and was counter attacked. This time I wonder if he will let Froome make the first move or wait until other riders attack. There are other riders don't forget :lol:

Froome doesn't need to attack. He holds the lead, and if he feels strong right at the end of the stage he goes for it.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    okgo wrote:
    8 seconds at that race length is a margin. Prior to that, the entire top ten wasn't separated by much more than 8 seconds, so don't under-estimate it. Froome and Wiggins were always better at longer TT's you get all sorts of people who can do OK in a short TT but are nowhere in a long one.

Personally I think Froome is going to be up there with Brad in TT ability in this years tour, he has the numbers to do so, his position likely isn't any less aero than Wiggins, ergo he should be going just about as fast.

I would imagine he is going to batter contador all summer, thing is, will he put them all to the sword as early as tomorrow? I wouldn't put it past him...

Exactly, on a longer time trial it'll be a couple of minutes.
  • okgo
    He doesn't need to, but I get the impression he wants to show people what he is about, he has done it before, just crushed the competition when he didn't really NEED to, so I for one would not be surprised to see him try and put things to bed as early as tomorrow!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Joelsim wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    It was a moral victory for Contador, if not a real one.

Not entirely sure I agree with that. Froome has put down a marker which says he is better than ever.

I was being a little silly. It was a really good ride from Contador, but it was a terrific one from Froome. Alberto had better believe his story that he was holding something back, otherwise it's another little mental dent inflicted by Froome.
  • okgo
    He was throwing that bike up that hill for all he was worth. If you want to look at someone who took it easy then David Millar was a good example. Barely breathing on the run in. Bertie have that an effort, I don't believe for a second he was holding much back. Why would you? It's 14 mins of riding. Hardly damaging to these guys who can ride 6 hours per day and recover.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Froome only took 9" out of Contador in the second time trial at the Tour last year which was three times as long (though a very different profile).
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Paulie W wrote:
    Froome only took 9" out of Contador in the second time trial at the Tour last year which was three times as long (though a very different profile).

Lets not forget that in 2009 Bertie beat Cancellera, then Olympic and World Timetrial Champion (and everyone else including Wiggo) over a 40km TT at the TDF (with possible motorbike assistance). :roll:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    That's the one where he nearly didn't make it to the start line on time as all the team cars had gone to pick up Armstrong's family.
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    woody1545 wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Lets not forget that in 2009 Bertie beat Cancellera, then Olympic and World Timetrial Champion (and everyone else including Wiggo) over a 40km TT at the TDF (with nice juicy steak assistance). :roll:

FTFY
  • woody1545
    heavy_rat wrote:
    woody1545 wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Lets not forget that in 2009 Bertie beat Cancellera, then Olympic and World Timetrial Champion (and everyone else including Wiggo) over a 40km TT at the TDF (with nice juicy steak assistance). :roll:

FTFY

I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics: I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. :wink:
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    TheBigBean wrote:
    That's the one where he nearly didn't make it to the start line on time as all the team cars had gone to pick up Armstrong's family.

Yeah - not a Bert fan (though obvs I'm converting this TdF for nefarious reasons :wink: ), but he really did have crap to deal with thanks to Lance and Hog - and showed huge mental strength
  • Richmond Racer
    Paulie W wrote:

The profile is the key thing. Froome's prone to ripping them on the flat courses, but (usually) has FAR less of an advantage on other types.

He looked fiercely strong yday (says reluctantly)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Can't see myself following any TDF spoilers on here at this rate. One stage of the Dauphine and it's already turned into a childish Sky v Contador / Frenchie v others squabble. If you don't like Frenchie's opinions just ignore them otherwise everything just descends into petty name calling. Some of you almost seem to have an alert set up so that you can jump on his comments within seconds of them being posted. Just enjoy the racing and stop bringing the spoilers down to such a pathetic level.
  • Richmond Racer
    Pross wrote:
    Can't see myself following any TDF spoilers on here at this rate. One stage of the Dauphine and it's already turned into a childish Sky v Contador / Frenchie v others squabble. If you don't like Frenchie's opinions just ignore them otherwise everything just descends into petty name calling. Some of you almost seem to have an alert set up so that you can jump on his comments within seconds of them being posted. Just enjoy the racing and stop bringing the spoilers down to such a pathetic level.

Not me, not me *jumps up and down*

(I'll save my childishness for other topics)
  • okgo
    Pross wrote:

Instead of the 99% changing, why doesn't that berk who continues to troll like there is no tomorrow sort himself out?
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Pross wrote:

He started it
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    Pross wrote:

Agreed.
    'Tis nearly July and soon the silly season will be getting into full swing.
    Frenchie's baiting should be taken on face value; for it's comedic value alone.
    If folks get so uptight and upset by his lone voice, then best go take a look
    at yesterday's CN forum to see how quickly this sort of stuff degenerates
    into primary school behaviour.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • woody1545
    You think this is bad you should read the Froome/Wiggins thread. Proper handbags.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    okgo wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Instead of the 99% changing, why doesn't that berk who continues to troll like there is no tomorrow sort himself out?

There's an easy way to deal with comments you think are trolling. Fact is, Frenchie is here posting all year but others show up for a few weeks in July and it descends into chaos. I disagree with most of Frenchie's Sky taunts and praising of 'his' riders but I've finally learned to take a deep breath and ignore them.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    We expecting action on the final climb today? I can't see the climb being hard enough for a big showdown. I reckon a mountain sprint from a group of 15 or 20 is on the cards.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    mike6 wrote:
    Save your breath Dorset, we all know how the forum will pan out once the Sky big guns come out to play. All the stage winners performances in the Giro were wonderfull rides, nothing to discuss. Once a guy in black and blue starts to do well, suspicions will be raised by the usual suspects.
    Pathetic but true. :roll:

So far all I have seen is hints and jibes,meat jokes etc about Contador doping, nothing about any Sky rider.
    Back on topic. I would like to see some attacking racing today and someone go for a long one to set the race alight.
  • Richmond Racer
    mike6 wrote:
    Save your breath Dorset, we all know how the forum will pan out once the Sky big guns come out to play. All the stage winners performances in the Giro were wonderfull rides, nothing to discuss. Once a guy in black and blue starts to do well, suspicions will be raised by the usual suspects.
    Pathetic but true. :roll:

So far all I have seen is hints and jibes,meat jokes etc about Contador doping, nothing about any Sky rider.
    Back on topic. I would like to see some attacking racing today and someone go for a long one to set the race alight.

^I've asked for this instruction to be passed over race radio to all team cars. That should sort it.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    5 riders away including Mattias Brandle who finished 10th yesterday. Kevin Reza (Europcar) was the first away and also took the first two KOM. SKY are leading the bunch and Lopez took 6th in the first KOM.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Agreed - the fricking steak jokes are SO tedious and lame. They annoy me more than Frenchie's posts. Just grow up...
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    feels very muggy and heavy here at the moment, and my breathing wasn't great on my ride this morning. what's the weather like over there? if it's similar Bert's allergies could be a factor
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    mroli wrote:
    Agreed - the ******* steak jokes are SO tedious and lame. They annoy me more than Frenchie's posts. Just grow up...
    I agree, they've been so badly overdone.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow seems like a lot of you on here are just deliberately seeking conflict - I think I do a good job of avoiding replying to the majority of it because it is pointless. Go and re-read every post I have made on here - I have said nothing inflammatory, goading, abusive or anything which should cause the reaction after. Thank goodness there are so many blocked posts...if I read them I would probably be hit with another wave of tosh and think the whole thing is not worth my time.

Just enjoy the racing, contribute to the pro-cycling discussion and stop commenting about other forum members, taking sly digs at riders and deliberately trying to goad me and generally making arguments when there is nothing to argue about.

--

The photos of them riding through that tunnel are quite spectacular - go and find them as you will enjoy them. Also interesting reading about the tunnel itself.
    Contador is the Greatest