Giro 2014 - Stage 16: Val Martello *Spoilers*

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    161lx93.png
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Incredible scenes really.

Camera moto having to get in front of the riders and film backwards because the lens gets coated in 5 seconds otherwise
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Pross wrote:
    This is cycling we are talking about. Not a sport for weak people.

These are human beings we are talking about. What other legitimate employment would require their staff to work in conditions that are causing them severe pain? On one hand we have people alleging riders are crashing due to the overuse of Tramadol and on the other we have people insisting riders have to continue through the pain barrier.

If we don't have riders continuing whilst carrying significant levels of pain or injury then how will the photographers get their heroic, slightly homo-erotic pictures ? :shock: :wink:

With regards to EBH I'd think there is likely a balance of keep him in / withdraw him here :
    Keep him in because he might get a stage win / get in a break - the team essentially exists to get publicity.
    Keep him in to support others in his team
    Withdraw him as he could recover in time for the Tour - riding a full Giro with injuries puts his ability to perform at 100% at the Tour at risk.
    EBH is not one for the great traditions of the sport so maybe he's not too bothered about withdrawing from the 2nd biggest GT but it might just be that he and his team are seeing his participation as part of the season as a whole
    and his continuing gains minimal benefit and a potentially greater downside.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The last climb looks brilliant.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Give me more
    Sporza are apparently reporting the sky rider is swift. that surely can't be right.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Today is not a day to be routing a race over two 2.5k mountains.

Once again, rider safety concerns are set aside for the 'show'.
  • frenchfighter
    Chaplaud has about 40 secs.

Average speed of the first hour was 22.8 km/h.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    andyp wrote:

Once again, rider safety concerns are set aside for the 'show'.

The frenchfighter method to cycling.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    The Three Colombians together on the descent
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Descending like Wiggins!

I'd be off the bike and walking it down...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • frenchfighter
    @mcewenrobbie 1m
    i'll bet most of the #giro peloton are hoping for cancellation of todays stage. words can't describe how brutal it is #athletewelfare
    @Greghenderson1 1m
    Ok thats enough @giroditalia. Stop the race if it continues to Snow.

Aussies.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cgrenn
    cgrenn Posts: 206
    Orica Greenedge have got it sussed.... Sod cycling in this!
  • frenchfighter
    https://twitter.com/PatLefevere

Making a few comments here. It is in his interests anyway to have the hardest stage of the race removed...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    According to Carlton, the escapees have "beatifully tanned legs."

Kiserlovski punctures.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Sporza are apparently reporting the sky rider is swift. that surely can't be right.

If they didn't go too hard up the climb there's a reasonable chance.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Kiserlovski puncture. Where he was I have absolutely no clue.
  • frenchfighter
    Chaplaud, Pantano, Arredondo and a Sky rider out front apparently.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Give me more
    Turns out the Stelvio is currently pretty clear so they are going to ride it...

...but now it's snowing at the finish!
  • Pross
    andyrr wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    This is cycling we are talking about. Not a sport for weak people.

These are human beings we are talking about. What other legitimate employment would require their staff to work in conditions that are causing them severe pain? On one hand we have people alleging riders are crashing due to the overuse of Tramadol and on the other we have people insisting riders have to continue through the pain barrier.

If we don't have riders continuing whilst carrying significant levels of pain or injury then how will the photographers get their heroic, slightly homo-erotic pictures ? :shock: :wink:

With regards to EBH I'd think there is likely a balance of keep him in / withdraw him here :
    Keep him in because he might get a stage win / get in a break - the team essentially exists to get publicity.
    Keep him in to support others in his team
    Withdraw him as he could recover in time for the Tour - riding a full Giro with injuries puts his ability to perform at 100% at the Tour at risk.
    EBH is not one for the great traditions of the sport so maybe he's not too bothered about withdrawing from the 2nd biggest GT but it might just be that he and his team are seeing his participation as part of the season as a whole
    and his continuing gains minimal benefit and a potentially greater downside.

He's unlikely to ride the Tour. If anything they are under pressure to keep him in mint condition for his new team.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Descending like Wiggins!

I'd be off the bike and walking it down...

I'd be calling my significant other to come and get me in the car with the heater turned up to full and a change of warm clothes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Give me more
    Wow it's actually Swift who went off from Sky lol. He does the weirdest things.
  • Pross
    Any decent streams? Might have a butchers over lunch.
  • Turfle
    I still haven't seen the Sky rider. If it is Swift it'll no doubt be for Deignan, Henao, or Cataldo to ride up to on the Stelvio.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Last time I climbed the Stelvio it started to snow two-thirds of the way up. Turned around and spent the rest of the day in the lovely Roman baths further down the road to Bormio...
  • Turfle
    Like seeing Diego Rosa up there.
  • frenchfighter
    @Jan_Bakelants
    Shamefull decision of rcs to ride this stage. Even more knowing there is an alternative route, over less high mountains! #Giro2014
    --

Arredondo has 95 points vs 57 from Wellens.

--
    494f72d5-8255-4da0-a5cb-28a60f4287ce_800.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:
    Any decent streams? Might have a butchers over lunch.

http://alfatv.webs.com/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Give me more
    Pozzo and Evans together. An early attack? Who the hell knows because this is carnage
  • frenchfighter
    EVANS and POZZO - off the front or out the back?!?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Evans and Pozzo ahead or behind. No idea which!