Giro Stage 14 Aglie - Oropa *Spoiler*

Mad_Malx
Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
edited May 2014 in Pro race
So after yesterday's discussion of bars and trams in Amstserdam, the racing is back on. Today's stage looks very promising.

tumblr_n61i6uFPh41ropreyo1_1280.jpg

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_14.jpg

MT finish
tappa_14_S03.jpg

but the two earlier climbs could do some serious damage.

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
    What we've been lacking on this tour is cheese. The region is very good.

0000001210_1.jpg

1s.jpg
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    What's the news on Quintana, due to life getting in the way I haven't been following as closely as I should, hope to watch the whole stage today. I know he crashed and has had a cold, INRNG says he's ill, too far back after the TT or will we see some attacks?
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Movistar are saying he's (getting) over his illness.
    Movistar team doctor Eduardo González told VeloNews that Quintana also had a slight fever, and was only at “80 percent” of full strength for Thursday’s TT.

“He’s better now. It affected him, and was trying to hide in the bunch the past few days,” González said, confirming that Quintana’s antibiotic treatment has ended. “We hope he gets through [Friday] okay, and can recover for this weekend’s climbs.”

I don't see him going for it just yet if he's not quite recovered or even if he's only just back to full health. The more interesting proposition today may be whether anyone does something similar to what Riis suggested
    “He has lost some time, but he attacks in the mountains like few others,” Riis said. “If he’s not doing well, it would be smart for the others to try to eliminate him this weekend, because if you give him time to fully recover, he will be a danger.”

Could see OPQS look to deal a crippling blow before he's 100% recovered, especially given Movistar's fairly weak team support so far.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    The insufferable hypocrisy related to Pantani has already made me glad i ll be at my cousins wedding today

I almost agree with Digger today...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Here are the other profiles available for today's stage:

1st Climb:
    tappa_14_S02.jpg

Final Kms:
    ukm_14.jpg

Plus a reminder that Eurosport start up at 11-45am today, with most of the stage, live.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    A lot of people seem to think that a breakaway has a good chance today but I think it's unlikely that the winner will come from the initial break. The stage is just too hard.

I think it's more likely that the winner will attack out of the bunch either close to the top of the penultimate climb or at the base of the final climb. Be good to see Rolland and Arrendondo go for round 2.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Milton50 wrote:
    I think it's more likely that the winner will attack out of the bunch either close to the top of the penultimate climb or at the base of the final climb. Be good to see Rolland and Arrendondo go for round 2.
    I think Arredondo will try to get in the break to get the mountain points for the first two climbs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    Alpe Noveis looks like a tough climb, but likely comes too far from the finish to see much action there.

tappa_14_S01.jpg

C-cycling's preview is here, the general theme seems to be that the average gradients make the climbs seem easier than in reality:

http://www.c-cycling.com/sites/giro14/stage14.html

"Alpe Noveis. This category 1 climb is 9 km long and extremely steep. There is a part of 4 km with an average (!) gradient of almost 12 %.

The following 18.3 km are uphill towards the top of Bielmonte. A short descent before the top means the average gradient only is set to 5.5 %. However, a long part of 8 % in the middle makes this climb much harder than the profile suggests.

The climb itself is about 11 km long. The first 5 km aren’t very steep but upon reaching the city center of Favaro the climb gets tough. The final 6.7 km have an average gradient of 8 % with parts of 13 %. "
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The Alpe Noveis descent or the Bielmonte climb could be where the likes of Hesjedal, Kiserlovski, Rolland or Aru* try to break away from the main contenders, especially if they have a team mate ahead in an earlier break.
    First over Alpe Noveis I’d imagine to be a break with Arredondo, Pirazzi and probably a rider from each of Europcar, Neri S., Androni and maybe FDJ. But them to not make it to the finish.

*Although I heard Aru was yesterday showing signs of great tiredness, so it may be beyond him.
  • blazing_saddles
    Rai, talking, talking talking, so no Eurosport, yet.
  • What's the odds the GC guys stay together until the final ramp at 2.5km?

The irony is that this stage is being heralded as honouring Pantani, but in this day and age you just can't ride like that anymore which is both good and bad.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    What's the odds the GC guys stay together until the final ramp at 2.5km?

Pretty good imo.

Some of the guys a bit further back might go for a longer one I guess.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    We just might get to see the break go today.
  • Turfle
    Daniel Lloyd ‏@daniellloyd1 12m View translation
    Initial breakaway, only 100m advantage, Agnoli, Domont, Frapporti, Battaglin, Monsalve, Quemeneur, Cataldo, Longo Borghini & Timmer.

but the main bunch is split in two.
  • Turfle
    edit: no no no
  • Turfle
    Different group going away, with Roche, EBH, Hondo, Cataldo and about 8 others
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    What's the odds the GC guys stay together until the final ramp at 2.5km?

Pretty good imo.

Some of the guys a bit further back might go for a longer one I guess.

Think there might be a few attacks or high pace setting on bielmonte to thin out a few teams, inc Movistar to isolate Quintana before the final climb.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    It's on that there telly now.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Santaromita and Tim Wellens there too by the looks of it
  • Turfle
    Battaglin ?, Monsalve, Agnoli
  • milton50
    The break is 21 strong. :shock:

3:30 ahead.
  • Turfle
    I think OPQS have got one in there too. They're not showing the break much.
  • Turfle
    Sella there. Didn't even know he was in the race.
  • Turfle
    Wellens looking to go solo from 133k out! That was a big old effort from KOM points.
  • milton50
    Arredondo is not in the break but I don't think Pirazzi is either? So I don't think he'll be too bothered.
  • Turfle
    Peloton Watch ‏@PelotonWatch 1m View translation
    Giro Break: 1/2 Agnoli Domont Frapporti Sella Battaglin Keizer Quinziato Longo Borghini Pantano Cattaneo Polanc Monsalve Vermote Santaromia Wellens Quemeneuer Timmer Cataldo Boasson Hagen Roche Hondo
  • blazing_saddles
    Big break, but not over endowed with climbing talent.
    Should be controllable. Not a super fast stage as a result.
  • blazing_saddles
    ES go to break=Big crash!
    A lot of Sky involved
  • Turfle
    Uran must be feeling rather confident if OPQS want to keep the bonus seconds in play.
  • Turfle
    8'39. Maybe they're not riding quite as hard as the strung out nature of the peloton makes it seem.