Guess the object

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Why don't you contact the previous owners?
    The previous owner died, and his son sold the house. Presumably left this because he didn't know what it was. Or to confuse me.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Oh found the thing I was looking for if we want an object when we're bored of this one.
    I only posted this to pass the time until something better came along, so feel free.

Noooooooo

We need to get to the bottom of this first.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Noooooooo

We need to get to the bottom of this first.
    I agree, we should run with this for a while. I reckon there is another mount similar for the other bracket to attach to, then you would have a pair of them with the pins facing inwards and the slots may have a function. Not sure what would happen next or what the nut in the middle is for though.
  • pinno
    The spindles look concave; precisely the thing to hold a pin shaped axle. I am pretty sure that the two triangular shaped things that hold the spindles are supposed to go together - why would there be two identical one's? If they were different, I wouldn't hazard the guess that they act in parallel.
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    If there are two triangular pieces, and only one base, is there a base missing? if so could it be for a roll of sheeting of some sort, or hand wipes etc?
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Will both uprights fit in if you turn them "back to back" with the spindle thingys pointing outwards and the long lugs in the slots (rather than the two short lugs in the two small slots)? or if they are "front to back" (ie both spindles facing the same way)?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian wrote:
    Will both uprights fit in if you turn them "back to back" with the spindle thingys pointing outwards and the long lugs in the slots (rather than the two short lugs in the two small slots)? or if they are "front to back" (ie both spindles facing the same way)?
    The long lugs are too wide to go in the slots. They also have scooped edges, not sure how that helps. And those long edges don't touch anything when the short lugs are fitted to the clamp.
    IMAG1359_zpsa792a709.jpg
    IMAG1358_zpsf393a40d.jpg
    There could be another clamp, or many other parts, missing. There could be something which fits in the slot to turn it into a lightweight vice.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Not sure what would happen next or what the nut in the middle is for though.
    There is a mark around the bolt hole where a serrated washer has been tightened onto it, which could only happen when the upright piece is not attached.
    I vote abandon ship, and someone post a new object.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I'll keep on looking for possibles off the 'net, but in the meantime a pic that we can get a correct answer on would be good. :D

Just looking at the object though, I'd say that there is a LOT missing, it looks like the remains of some sort of kit and I was looking for possibles such as converting a drill into a lathe (wood). But I also wondered if the clamp is meant to go on a vertical edge instead of a horizontal table top, this way the retaining feature of the lugs makes more sense.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Think I've found what they are from, looks like the clamp and spindle turning centres from one of these:

http://www.benchpro2000.com.au/vise-and ... l-p-1.html
  • veronese68
    Right, whilst we carry on guessing the bracketry in the background try this for size:
    Retracted:
    IMG_0726.jpg
    Extended:
    IMG_0727.jpg
  • Ha! My grandmother had one.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • lemuppet wrote:
    Think I've found what they are from, looks like the clamp and spindle turning centres from one of these:

http://www.benchpro2000.com.au/vise-and ... l-p-1.html
    Aha! Thanks. So Pinarello was on the right track from the start about woodworking.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Right, whilst we carry on guessing the bracketry in the background try this for size:
    Retracted:
    IMG_0726.jpg
    Extended:
    IMG_0727.jpg

Is that a syphilis umbrella.
  • veronese68
    I sincerely hope not, it was a christening present for our daughter.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I sincerely hope not, it was a christening present for our daughter.

lol i imagined it was for use from the tales you hear for such practices from days past,gave me a laugh cheers.As it has something to do with your daughter i am puzzled and shall think on.
  • pinno
    Is that a magnet at the tip and the thing 'grabs' some small object?
  • veronese68
    Made me laugh too Crumbs. Not magnetic and doesn't grab.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Made me laugh too Crumbs. Not magnetic and doesn't grab.

Is it for food?

Is it a toy?
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Cocktail stirrer?
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • veronese68
    Closer, has a very specific purpose though.
  • pinno
    Something to pick up Cocktail cherries?
  • andcp
    OK, more specifically, is it a champagne or cocktail swizzle stick? Apparently "they improve the taste as they make the champagne bubbles in the glass finer and smoother"
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    It looks like a stoat grooming tool to me, though to be fair mustelids are not my strong point.
    It could be for weasels.
  • veronese68
    Andcp wrote:
    OK, more specifically, is it a champagne or cocktail swizzle stick? Apparently "they improve the taste as they make the champagne bubbles in the glass finer and smoother"
    We have a winner, over to you Andcp.
    I was told it was for society ladies to get rid of bubbles to prevent unladylike wind. I must confess I thought it would take a bit longer for this one.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Pituophis wrote:
    It looks like a stoat grooming tool to me, though to be fair mustelids are not my strong point.
    It could be for weasels.

One we easily recognise, the other's totally different.

The older I get, the better I was.

• veronese68
    Help! The Mrs has tasked with setting her works Christmas quiz, I suggested guess the object for the picture round. Without having to trawl through the entire thread which ones do people think are most appropriate. Can't be too difficult and must be clean. I like the ghost trap from Ghostbusters.
    Thank you for helping me and my lazy research.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:
    It could be for weasels.

One we easily recognise, the other's totally different.

Did you have to ferret around for that, or did you badger someone else for it?

I think we otter leave it at that. No really. :roll:
  • andcp
    Here you go - this is quite old and looks nothing like the modern versions.....
    DSC_0296%20%281024x576%29.jpg?dl=0
    DSC_0297%20%281024x576%29.jpg?dl=0
  • gingaman
    is it 2 images, one above the other?
  • pinno
    2 rectangles within two other rectangles. More specifically, 2 rectangles in Landscape orientation and 2 rectangles orientated in the convention.
  • gingaman
    Andcp wrote:
    Here you go - this is quite old and looks nothing like the modern versions.....
    DSC_0296%20%281024x576%29.jpg?dl=0
    DSC_0297%20%281024x576%29.jpg?dl=0
    combination shoehorn and scratcher?