New BETA version of BikeRadar

1234568»

Comments

• I suffer as well from disappearing images.
    I use a Macbook pro retina and the problem is the same on the browsers from Safari, Chrome and Firefox.
    This way your website is not very useful.
    Please fix.

Missing, misaligned/badly size images on OSX 10.8.5 - Safari and Chrome (both up-to-date). My biggest bugbear is still the low information density on the front page, the lack of auto-open for more articles when scrolling down the front page and the lack of 'memory' of page location when navigating back to the front page from an article (necessitating re-opening the 'MORE' articles link).

Jeff, I seem to remember you mentioning that you'd like to increase the number of links/accessible articles from the home page - is that something that might be possible in the future ?
  • New user checking out the reviews and there seems to be lots of bugs with the website. In Chrome and Firefox, the images vanish as I scroll to them and nothing makes them come back again.
    In IE8, the images stay but none of the menus work. I can click on the word "Reviews" but I don't see the popup that allows me to refine the reviews I want to see. Same with changing country at the top right, using the slider to refine by price and so on. Seems to be JS related -

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.5; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    Timestamp: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 22:27:42 UTC

Line: 0
    Char: 0
    Code: 0
    URI: http://static.beta.bikeradar.futurecdn. ... dar.min.js
  • just horrible.......I have moved it from top of my bike web sites to middle.......nothing on there any more apart from a massive picture of a middle aged bloke at the bottom.
  • The full-screen image galleries are still sub-par. Compare with Road.cc or Velonews: the image takes up so much more of the screen, Esc key exits full-screen, and you can tap away on the left/right arrows without an ad forcing you to use the mouse every fifth image. Seriously, whenever an ad pops up it takes three clicks to get from the image preceding it to the one following it. Who could think for a moment that that is acceptable?

I'm about ready to give up on BikeRadar.
  • I keep getting stuck between being logged in and logged out.

I try to go to the classifieds forum (which you have to be logged in to view) and I get redirected to the home page with a pop-up telling me I'm logged in. Great. If I try to go to the User Control Panel, same thing.

Apparently I'm logged in, but I'm not really because I can't actually do anything. This happens every day or two, and (sometimes) fixes itself spontaneously. It can usually be fixed by manually logging out and logging in again, but what a pain!

Seriously, why was the old, functioning website replaced with a broken "beta" version (which is really alpha quality)? If you're going to run a beta version of a new product, you do it in parallel with the old product; you don't just ditch the working one, especially when the new one doesn't work!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Same thing happens to me. Every so often the site logs me out and then when I try and log back in I get stuck in an infinite redirect loop to the front page, which has no log-in button.

Come on Future, sort your shiiit out! 11 pages of user complaints and feedback and nothing seems to have been done!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Please can you reduce the number of adverts when you click through a gallery or change how the advert is shown so it does not get in the way of viewing the site.

80 images takes over 120 clicks.

I gave up trying to view the best of the Cycle show today. I was trying to eat noodles with chopsticks at the time, the choice became food or website and food won. My left hand is rubbish at controlling the mouse or chopsticks so multi taking was not an option.

Also, I am sure Jeff Jones is a great guy but it would be good to see less of him, trying to not see his face has become a game of chance when I scroll down a page.

Overall though, I prefer the old site. Feels like you have to search for new stuff now.
  • I see that Bicycling.com has redone its website. Why not take a look at that and see how a new format can be updated and still turn out user-friendly?
  • Is it worth compiling a snag list as there seem to be a number of issues still outstanding with the site?
  • This is a pain. Says i need to log in but on the log in screen it says im already logged in. Have to log out then go to a different page and then log back in. Getting a bit annoyed with it now.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I have finally figured out my own log-in problem.

I use Ghostery to block trackers, traffic monitors, scripts and other such internet nonsense, and because BikeRadar is such a spammy site now, Ghostery thought the log-in was a rogue pop-up.

So, disbale it, log-in, enable it again. Job done.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Still can't access the forum on iphone.It takes me to log-in the says"you have tried to log in too many times and need to fill out a Capatcha"No Capatcha to fill in!!!
    This has been going on for months now why is it not sorted?
  • Trying to post on the forum (via mobile). It keeps looping back to the new home screen.
    Very irritating :-(
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites
  • When using the forum on my phone there's an obnoxious advert at the top that expands to fill the entire screen a few seconds after the page has loaded.

If I scroll down to look at the threads then the advert expands (why?), pushing all of the content down the page, so I have to scroll down again. Then it retracts, forcing me to scroll back up.

I don't mind adverts, but this is rude, unnecessary, and along with all the other unresolved problems, is making me want to avoid BikeRadar altogether. At the very least, I'm going to have to use an ad blocker to stop such obnoxious behaviour.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    hi all,

Thanks for the continued feedback on beta BikeRadar. Just letting you know we're still in the process of getting the infrastructure and code across from Future before we can start work on it, which should be early next year. Sorry it's taken so long but the sale of the site from Immediate to Future has led to a hiatus in development.

The more positive news is that we have a nearly full dev team now (still looking for a couple of php developers to work with us in Bristol) so we'll be able to properly tackle issues with ads, login and ipad brokenness.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Certainly looking forward to being able to log in, it's one of the features I value quite highly in an online forum :roll:
  • This BETA website is a shocker. Log In doesnt work. You click the green log in button and it just takes you to the homepage. Lol. I used to be able to "cheat" by clicking to post a new topic which opens up the log in box. But that isnt working anymore as well. Im lucky my phone is set to remember my details for this site otherwise id not be able to post in the forum !

So...how do you log in then? :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    This BETA website is a shocker. Log In doesnt work. You click the green log in button and it just takes you to the homepage. Lol. I used to be able to "cheat" by clicking to post a new topic which opens up the log in box. But that isnt working anymore as well. Im lucky my phone is set to remember my details for this site otherwise id not be able to post in the forum !

So...how do you log in then? :lol:
    Nothing to do with Beta.

Read viewtopic.php?f=40033&t=13005400
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ahh i see. Thanks. I didnt see that thread as i found this thread directly from a Google search, otherwise i would have read it instead of commenting here.