New BETA version of BikeRadar

Comments

• Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I click through to the website from RSS and get a 404 error 100% of the time
    RSS reader NetNewsWire Version 3.3.2
    We're rebuilding the rss feeds although some of them should still work:

feed.php
    http://www.bikeradar.com/rss/
    http://www.bikeradar.com/rss/news (will go through feedburner)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/rss/gear (ditto)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Just tried to complete your survey about the site. Won't let me because of confidentiality problem.
    Does anything on this new site work properly? I will now tell you what I think about the site, it's S@@T !!!!
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Jeff Jones
    exlaser wrote:
    Just tried to complete your survey about the site. Won't let me because of confidentiality problem.
    Does anything on this new site work properly? I will now tell you what I think about the site, it's S@@T !!!!
    Sorry to hear that - so you got through the survey but it wouldn't let you finish?

What browser/device are you on?
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • fortuns
    fortuns Posts: 1
    I don't like this new site. It is too 'halfords' branded. I am sure it is not your intention but it almost looks like a halfords website. I have stopped using this site. I used to visit it daily. The perception is that your integrity and impartiality has been sold out..(again, I am sure that is not the intention or the reality but that is what it looks like from my point of view)
  • b0dski
    b0dski Posts: 136
    Rubbish.

On the new Beta homepage I'm allegedly logged in yet when I go to the Forum I'm not logged in and when clicking to attempt to login again it takes me back to the homepage and around in a never ending loop.

I've got a bike for sale in the classifieds section and I'm unable to even get onto the classifieds section as according to that part of the site I'm not logged in!

Soooooooooooo frustrating. Whoever is the website designer/developer responsible for the site really needs to be sacked
  • exlaser
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    exlaser wrote:
    Sorry to hear that - so you got through the survey but it wouldn't let you finish?

Kindle fire hd.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Jeff Jones
    exlaser wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    exlaser wrote:

Kindle fire hd.
    That's a known bug - will let you know when that's fixed.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • exlaser
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    exlaser wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    exlaser wrote:

Kindle fire hd.
    That's a known bug - will let you know when that's fixed.

Cheers. Thanks for getting back.
    Good luck getting all the faults fixed.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Tmerc
    Tmerc Posts: 1
    Keeps crashing safari on ipad running os7
  • TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    This is all via iPhone:

I click forum then login and it takes me back to the beta front page. I then have to click on the lined square box in the top left again if that makes sense to be able to enter my login details.

I will eventually time out of the forum even after clicking remember me and the cookies box to get it off my screen. If I go to post it will say login.

When I click login it takes me back to the beta page where I click the box again and then forum. This time it says I'm logged in and it won't log me out.

I then have to delete cookies and browser history in order to be able to log in again.

It would be good to have this under tapatalk - are there any plans for this
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • Jeff, you are uniformly polite and responsive to people's concerns and criticisms, which is admirable. However, you are ignoring the fact that there is a 100% disapproval/dissatisfaction response to the BETA version. At this point, it really ought to be scrapped in favor of something better. No doubt a lot of time and resources went into improving the site, but the fact is these efforts were misguided and don't work. In turn, you will lose visitors. This is a shame since BikeRadar used to be an excellent site. It's not anymore and your readers have been advising you of this fact for months. The site would be better served - and enjoy more traffic - if you reverted to the old format or went with an entirely different new version. The BETA version is a dud that can't be improved into user-friendliness. Sorry.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    However, you are ignoring the fact that there is a 100% disapproval/dissatisfaction response to the BETA version.

100%? No. Probably not even close. It's just that, for the most part, only those with complaint will bother to post here.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • However, you are ignoring the fact that there is a 100% disapproval/dissatisfaction response to the BETA version.

100%? No. Probably not even close. It's just that, for the most part, only those with complaint will bother to post here.

Dude, that's my point - 100% of the people POSTING have a very negative perspective of the Beta version. I don't presume to know what people who haven't commented are thinking, but neither do the folks working on the site!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    However, you are ignoring the fact that there is a 100% disapproval/dissatisfaction response to the BETA version.

Dude, that's my point - 100% of the people POSTING have a very negative perspective of the Beta version. I don't presume to know what people who haven't commented are thinking, but neither do the folks working on the site!

Well, yes, of course it's 100% of people posting - it's only the people with complaint that post. All those who are either perfectly happy or have no opinion one way or the other are not posting (this thread would be a thousand pages long, otherwise) and best guess is that this thread represents nothing more than a tiny minority of those using the new site. So, are you suggesting that the site should be tailored to the wishes of a tiny minority of its users?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Jeff Jones

Well, yes, of course it's 100% of people posting - it's only the people with complaint that post. All those who are either perfectly happy or have no opinion one way or the other are not posting (this thread would be a thousand pages long, otherwise) and best guess is that this thread represents nothing more than a tiny minority of those using the new site. So, are you suggesting that the site should be tailored to the wishes of a tiny minority of its users?
    You're correct in that it affects a very small number of users - the vast majority aren't affected by this bug, which is good. Unfortunately we won't be in a position to help those that are having problems for a few months: Future are supporting the site in a limited capacity (if it crashes or there's a major issue they will fix it) and Immediate do not have a technical team in place yet.

Regarding the length of forum threads, the last Cyclingnews redesign started a forum thread that ran to several hundred pages of mostly negative feedback. Despite that, the site went onto outperform its previous version by a big margin (some of the feedback was taken on board, some not). This thread is only 10 pages, but it will help us improve the site for you.

A note on Halfords: they're a major site sponsor. They don't have a say in the content unless it says 'sponsored post'.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones wrote:
    I click through to the website from RSS and get a 404 error 100% of the time
    RSS reader NetNewsWire Version 3.3.2
    We're rebuilding the rss feeds although some of them should still work:

feed.php
    http://www.bikeradar.com/rss/
    http://www.bikeradar.com/rss/news (will go through feedburner)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/rss/gear (ditto)

I'm still getting 404 errors clicking through from the RSS feed

Typical Bad URL
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/a ... =BRGENHOME
    OR
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/a ... its-27997/
    Where this is the good URL
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... its-27997/

Note the path difference (/road/gear/article vs /road/fitness/article
  • Jeff Jones
    That's a known issue, to be fixed when the new feeds go live

It should be a matter of rewriting all feed urls with /fitness in them to /gear (or something like that) to mirror what happened on the main site.

Weirdly it's not all /fitness urls that are broken, e.g. this still works:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... E=BRGENFIT

whereas the url accessed from the home page is
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... ure-42141/
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I still can't get in at all on my phone using my usual link (bookmark to unread posts) or, for that matter, any other link that requires me to log in - I just get taken to the BR.com homepage, where there is no sign of a login button at all, in fact none of the controls at the top of the page do anything: and the usual automatic pop-up form doesn't appear either.
    I've tried disabling everything that might get in the way (plugins, block pop-ups setting etc.) with no effect. Very frustrating.

Phone is Galaxy Note 2, Chrome on Android JB (rooted but stock)
  • Jeff Jones
    Try clearing your cookies if you haven't done so already, then try again? If it doesn't work, I'll add that phone/browser to the (thankfully short) list.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • izthewiz
    izthewiz Posts: 154
    Ipad surfing, thinking I'll try br again, see what's 'improved' and on first page I go to, five a day, no pics come up. All the text, though it does keep twitching between layouts, but no photos of what I'm struggling to read about. The articles, as usual, are otherwise good. The clever spangly adverts do show up nicely though, which I suppose is the important thing.
    The only bad view from the saddle is of the point of impact rising rapidly to meet you.
  • Jeff Jones
    izthewiz wrote:
    Ipad surfing, thinking I'll try br again, see what's 'improved' and on first page I go to, five a day, no pics come up. All the text, though it does keep twitching between layouts, but no photos of what I'm struggling to read about. The articles, as usual, are otherwise good. The clever spangly adverts do show up nicely though, which I suppose is the important thing.
    Yep, that's a known bug. We should start making progress on these again very soon.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • For goodness sake sort it out! I only use an iPad and it is constantly crashing with some of these pages as if its incompatible! Sort it, please, its getting kinda dull to click on something you want to read and have it crash repeatedly.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Egosearch doesn't seem to be functioning properly for the last few days?
  • Pictures disappear from the article I am reading; I have to scroll through the images at the top ??!!??

Nick
  • Sick to death of the orange feedback box flipping up and down the screen.still think the old version of bike radar was better and if its better why are you taking so long to sort out all its niggles.just admit to yourself it's rubbish and unintelligent to change something that was not broken!.
    GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.
  • Any news on switching to the new Bikely by default?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    How do you log in ?

On my iPad, if I click the green login button on the forum the address bar shows it's trying to take me to login but I just get to the home page
    Same if I hit the helmet-head icon on there
    Same if I try to reply to a topic
    Same if I hit Register

I don't know if it's limited to iPad, as I'm logged-in on my desktop PC and I'm not logging-out to try it in case I can't get back in again
  • Had trouble logging in on the work pc with old XP;could get to a log in screen but couldn't type anything;but seems ok now.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I can't log in at work. For some weeks, I could find the log in windows mostly hidden behind the a front page window. It was moderately amusing for a while trying to find a place I could click on screen to enable me to enter my user name and pw. But now BR has been improved again and all I get is this (no login stuff at all):

BRlogin_zps4e24de23.png
    Is there any chance it could be fixed or is this a new 'feature'? ;)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I suffer as well from disappearing images.
    I use a Macbook pro retina and the problem is the same on the browsers from Safari, Chrome and Firefox.
    This way your website is not very useful.
    Please fix.